Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
antiworldly

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby antiworldly » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:24 am

Anyone living in HUH know how they handle portable air conditioners (i.e. this)?

They've got pages about in-window units needing to be installed by their chosen company, but are silent on this type and I'd like to get some anecdotal evidence on how they'll handle it before I go make inquiries with HUH.

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:03 am

antiworldly wrote:Anyone living in HUH know how they handle portable air conditioners (i.e. this)?

They've got pages about in-window units needing to be installed by their chosen company, but are silent on this type and I'd like to get some anecdotal evidence on how they'll handle it before I go make inquiries with HUH.

Officially they are banned and you will violate your lease by using it. So its the typical value vs. risk scenario.

antiworldly

Postby antiworldly » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:12 am

Nonconsecutive wrote:
antiworldly wrote:Anyone living in HUH know how they handle portable air conditioners (i.e. this)?

Officially they are banned and you will violate your lease by using it. So its the typical value vs. risk scenario.

That's disappointing b/c that's the unit I currently have for my apartment. I guess I'll shoot them an email then off to craigslitst for me next time we get a heat wave to try to pawn it off on some desperate soul.

ChemEng1642

Postby ChemEng1642 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:14 am

antiworldly wrote:
Nonconsecutive wrote:

That's disappointing b/c that's the unit I currently have for my apartment. I guess I'll shoot them an email then off to craigslitst for me next time we get a heat wave to try to pawn it off on some desperate soul.

That's really a bummer since that installation fee is ridiculous :(

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:29 am

antiworldly wrote:
Nonconsecutive wrote:

I mean its definitely worth asking them. But I asked the exact same question a year ago and go that response. When I pointed out that the rider didn't mention the indoor unit, they sent me their response in writing. They are quite serious about keeping their electricity bills low. :lol:

antiworldly

Postby antiworldly » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:30 am

Nonconsecutive wrote:
antiworldly wrote:
Nonconsecutive wrote:

I mean its definitely worth asking them. But I asked the exact same question a year ago and go that response. When I pointed out that the rider didn't mention the indoor unit, they sent me their response in writing. They are quite serious about keeping their electricity bills low. :lol:

Well, considering the size of my homebuilt desktop, that's not happening anyways, but it's cute of them to try!

Indifference

Postby Indifference » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:03 am

Nonconsecutive wrote:
antiworldly wrote:
Nonconsecutive wrote:

Those tight profit margins sure do make it tough. :roll:

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:00 pm

charrob wrote:Hi,

Does anyone have any thoughts on a Gropius type 1/2 room (in Dane) vs a room in Hastings? I'm currently considering switching so it would be great to find out pros/cons or any info on which is nicer, more/less sociable, quieter/noisier etc..

Thank you!

Obviously, Hastings has somewhat nicer rooms than a basic Gropius room, but Hastings is a fair bit more expensive. Unless you're going to the very high-end dorms, you will have a suitemate in Hastings, who you probably get to know pretty well, but otherwise Hastings is less social than Gropius. Dane is on the whole pretty quiet, because there's only one lounge (on the third floor), and it seems smaller/less utilized than Ames lounges. Um, I think there's some funny business about less in the way of kitchen facilities in Hastings than in Dane, which may matter if you plan on cooking regularly (which I did).

If you care, Dane is maybe an extra couple of minutes longer of a walk from most things than Hastings is, but really only about 2 minutes, and they're about the same distance from Wasserstein, where basically all your 1L classes will be. I just found myself envying Hastings's location every time I walked back from Harvard Square — but then forgetting about it 2 minutes later when I got home.

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:09 pm

Did Negotiation Workshop grades come out for any 1Ls/2Ls yet? I know this was asked a few pages back, but I want to see if anyone got theirs recently.

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:15 pm

jingosaur wrote:Did Negotiation Workshop grades come out for any 1Ls/2Ls yet? I know this was asked a few pages back, but I want to see if anyone got theirs recently.

Nothing for 1Ls

Mr. Elshal

Postby Mr. Elshal » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:41 pm

Pneumonia wrote:
jingosaur wrote:Did Negotiation Workshop grades come out for any 1Ls/2Ls yet? I know this was asked a few pages back, but I want to see if anyone got theirs recently.

Nothing for 1Ls

I'm a 2L...got nothing.

malleus discentium

Postby malleus discentium » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:46 pm

FWIW I know a 1L who got his, but another 1L who hasn't.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:04 pm

tomwatts wrote:Obviously, Hastings has somewhat nicer rooms than a basic Gropius room, but Hastings is a fair bit more expensive.

The one special exception to this is the Gropius Tpye-5 and Type-6 rooms, which are about the same price as Hastings but are much better, since you get about the same amount of square footage (per person) and no roomate.

nothingtosee

Postby nothingtosee » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:52 am

I've done both the summer employment survey and the evaluation and still don't see an OCI tab in csm. How long is that supposed to take?

Indifference

Postby Indifference » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:26 pm

Anyone gone the route of a private supplemental loan as opposed to Grad PLUS? Wondering if 1) Better fixed rates could be found than the PLUS rate, 2) whether those loans would be LIPP eligible, and 3) whether it matters if you are planning to ride LIPP anyways.

ETA: Feel free to PM if you prefer.

codyoneill

Postby codyoneill » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:32 pm

mujiali wrote:Anyone gone the route of a private supplemental loan as opposed to Grad PLUS? Wondering if 1) Better fixed rates could be found than the PLUS rate, 2) whether those loans would be LIPP eligible, and 3) whether it matters if you are planning to ride LIPP anyways.

I went with private education loans and intend to use LIPP. I didn't see why not to get a better deal than the PLUS rate.

In talking with other students there does seem to be some confusion. LIPP covers private education loans, just not personal loans. It will tell you in your financial aid statements whether or not your loans are eligible.

I think it matters because 13 years (3 at law school, 10 afterward) is a long time. Even though I will be entering public interest work, I can't say with certainty that my income will be below the 100% eligible threshold for ten(!) years. So it would seem foolish not to pay the least amount possible.

foxes

Postby foxes » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:37 pm

codyoneill wrote:
mujiali wrote:Anyone gone the route of a private supplemental loan as opposed to Grad PLUS? Wondering if 1) Better fixed rates could be found than the PLUS rate, 2) whether those loans would be LIPP eligible, and 3) whether it matters if you are planning to ride LIPP anyways.

I went with private education loans and intend to use LIPP. I didn't see why not to get a better deal than the PLUS rate.

In talking with other students there does seem to be some confusion. LIPP covers private education loans, just not personal loans. It will tell you in your financial aid statements whether or not your loans are eligible.

I think it matters because 13 years (3 at law school, 10 afterward) is a long time. Even though I will be entering public interest work, I can't say with certainty that my income will be below the 100% eligible threshold for ten(!) years. So it would seem foolish not to pay the least amount possible.

im totally clueless when it comes to loans, so pardon if this is a bit intrusive, but would you be able to tell us which loans you went with? im about to do some hardcore googling but it would be great to hear what current students are doing. thanks

codyoneill

Postby codyoneill » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:51 pm

foxes wrote:
codyoneill wrote:

im totally clueless when it comes to loans, so pardon if this is a bit intrusive, but would you be able to tell us which loans you went with? im about to do some hardcore googling but it would be great to hear what current students are doing. thanks

Well, it is worth googling. I haven't set up my loans for next year but I will be doing some more research when my financial aid info comes out and I will likely go with whatever company offers me the best deal each year.

Last year, I ended up going with a variable rate loan from Suntrust Bank (variable rate was and is pretty low and it allows me to diversify a little bit between fixed and variable allowing me to pay off the higher rate one first when the time comes). And I was able to shave off a percent by having my parents cosign.

foxes

Postby foxes » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:24 pm

codyoneill wrote:
foxes wrote:im totally clueless when it comes to loans, so pardon if this is a bit intrusive, but would you be able to tell us which loans you went with? im about to do some hardcore googling but it would be great to hear what current students are doing. thanks

Well, it is worth googling. I haven't set up my loans for next year but I will be doing some more research when my financial aid info comes out and I will likely go with whatever company offers me the best deal each year.

Last year, I ended up going with a variable rate loan from Suntrust Bank (variable rate was and is pretty low and it allows me to diversify a little bit between fixed and variable allowing me to pay off the higher rate one first when the time comes). And I was able to shave off a percent by having my parents cosign.

thanks for the reply! one more dumb question for the thread: what if you decide to use paye instead of lipp? private loans wont be eligible for paye. im not sure if anyones ever done that, or if thats even feasible (can you switch?), but i did read some threads here (this and this) arguing that paye was better than lipp for certain jobs (eg bigfed) because you end up paying less on your loans... is this a totally out there thing to think about?

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:34 pm

1L, Negotiation Workshop grade is up

despina

Postby despina » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:36 pm

foxes wrote:
codyoneill wrote:
foxes wrote:what if you decide to use paye instead of lipp? private loans wont be eligible for paye. im not sure if anyones ever done that, or if thats even feasible (can you switch?), but i did read some threads here (this and this) arguing that paye was better than lipp for certain jobs (eg bigfed) because you end up paying less on your loans... is this a totally out there thing to think about?

You can easily "switch" out of LIPP. All you do is apply every 6 months, any time you're in an eligible job. So if you find something better, you can always go in and out of LIPP.

mimiquestionmark

Postby mimiquestionmark » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:19 am

0L here checking in with a question about dorm living :) I remember reading in the housing handbook that we are allowed to bring our own furniture so if I were to buy a nice queen sized bed, could I set it up in my room (I'm living in Hastings btw). It looks like the twin bed in the room has legs that fold up so I was thinking about just storing that bed under my new one (I might have to get risers idk). Has anyone tried this or heard of someone who did?

Searchparty

Postby Searchparty » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:02 pm

Pneumonia wrote:
runinthefront wrote:Does anyone know the max amount of need based aid Harvard typically gives? I'm fairly sure I would qualify for the max aid but don't know how much that would actually be.

It's in the neighborhood of 35k. Max aid is calculated so recipients exit with $150kish in debt.

JW, do you know what this ends up being in monthly payments?

robotrick

Postby robotrick » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:59 pm

Do firms at EIP ask for writing samples? I'm trying to figure out if I need to go out of my way to produce something good this summer.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:12 pm

robotrick wrote:Do firms at EIP ask for writing samples? I'm trying to figure out if I need to go out of my way to produce something good this summer.

A few do. Most do not. You can use something you wrote in LRW.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”