Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
TripTrip

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby TripTrip » Thu May 28, 2015 11:34 pm

metroidbum wrote:
Mack.Hambleton wrote:How hard is it to land Chicago firms from HLS? Does it require above median grades?

Depends on if you have ties or not, like most non-NYC/DC markets. With ties it is probably as easy as NY, given that few people target Chicago to begin with.

Statistically, Chicago is easier than NY.

ETA: A higher percentage of Chicago interviews get callbacks than NY, and a higher percentage of Chicago callbacks get offers than NY, overall.

t-14orbust

Postby t-14orbust » Fri May 29, 2015 9:11 am

Should I be worried that my 1l elective grade isn't up even though there were 3Ls in that class?

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Fri May 29, 2015 10:07 am

t-14orbust wrote:Should I be worried that my 1l elective grade isn't up even though there were 3Ls in that class?

No. Sometimes a prof grades only part of a class because profs can be very, very lazy. The rest of the class will get grades... someday.

Besides, being worried would do you no good. I'm actually not sure what the procedure is when a prof unreasonably delays a grade. Ask the registrar, maybe? But not until mid-June, at least.

sk7415

Postby sk7415 » Sat May 30, 2015 2:39 pm

Is there any point to doing a 0L summer RA position given that one already has work experience (have an offer not sure if I should take it)?

eleemosynary2

Postby eleemosynary2 » Sat May 30, 2015 3:12 pm

sk7415 wrote:Is there any point to doing a 0L summer RA position given that one already has work experience (have an offer not sure if I should take it)?

With an HLS prof? Either way, I'd consider doing it, not for the work experience per se but for the relationship. And, of course, as with all things summer 0L, consider whether a break would be helpful to leave you fresh for a year chock full of law.

despina

Postby despina » Sat May 30, 2015 3:42 pm

sk7415 wrote:Is there any point to doing a 0L summer RA position given that one already has work experience (have an offer not sure if I should take it)?

If you really need the money, or if the professor would be a great connection for your specific area of career interest, then go for it. Otherwise, take advantage of 0L summer to rest, see your family, prepare to move, etc.

sk7415

Postby sk7415 » Sat May 30, 2015 3:44 pm

eleemosynary2 wrote:

With an HLS prof? Either way, I'd consider doing it, not for the work experience per se but for the relationship. And, of course, as with all things summer 0L, consider whether a break would be helpful to leave you fresh for a year chock full of law.

Yes with HLS professor. This is going to come out sounding dumb but how does an (extra) relationship with a professor help you? Wouldn't you be able to get recs from professors anyways from classes, and if my goals are not academia/clerkship oriented, would these relationships help a lot for biglaw recruiting? Excuse any of my 0L ignorance.

eleemosynary2

Postby eleemosynary2 » Sat May 30, 2015 3:55 pm

sk7415 wrote:
Yes with HLS professor. This is going to come out sounding dumb but how does an (extra) relationship with a professor help you? Wouldn't you be able to get recs from professors anyways from classes, and if my goals are not academia/clerkship oriented, would these relationships help a lot for biglaw recruiting? Excuse any of my 0L ignorance.

No excuse needed. It would be more for academia/clerkships. Totally irrelevant to biglaw recruiting. And yeah, you can make relationships during 1L, but there's an obvious difference between talking a few times in an 80-person class and writing an exam vs interacting directly and producing a lot of work product in an RA relationship.

I hear despina's point about taking a break, and generally agree. Seems especially correct if your primary goal is to get biglaw.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Sat May 30, 2015 4:27 pm

Best place to look for off campus housing that's a bit away and cheap (1000-1200)? Craigslist?

ETA: studio/1br will be shared by two ppl

despina

Postby despina » Sat May 30, 2015 4:55 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:Best place to look for off campus housing that's a bit away and cheap (1000-1200)? Craigslist?

$1000-1200 total for a studio / 1BR is just not realistic anywhere within commuting distance of HLS. Even if you're willing to go as far as Allston or Arlington, you're going to be paying at least $1400/1500.

If you have $1000 per person to work with, you can definitely be more flexible and even live within Cambridge / Somerville.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Sat May 30, 2015 5:10 pm

Ok that's fine, but what's the best way to search tho

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Sat May 30, 2015 5:22 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:Ok that's fine, but what's the best way to search tho

Padmapper

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Sat May 30, 2015 5:47 pm

despina wrote:
Mack.Hambleton wrote:Best place to look for off campus housing that's a bit away and cheap (1000-1200)? Craigslist?

$1000-1200 total for a studio / 1BR is just not realistic anywhere within commuting distance of HLS. Even if you're willing to go as far as Allston or Arlington, you're going to be paying at least $1400/1500.

If you have $1000 per person to work with, you can definitely be more flexible and even live within Cambridge / Somerville.

You can easily live in Watertown for that cheap. The trouble is that there are not very many studios. If you look you can find a 2BR for $1500 though. There are a few studios that are cheaper ($1100 ish), but since Watertown is a residential (read: non-college) area there are just not that many of them. Padmapper is your best bet.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Sat May 30, 2015 6:41 pm

Thanks for the padmapper tip!

despina

Postby despina » Sat May 30, 2015 10:23 pm

Pneumonia wrote:You can easily live in Watertown for that cheap. The trouble is that there are not very many studios. If you look you can find a 2BR for $1500 though. There are a few studios that are cheaper ($1100 ish), but since Watertown is a residential (read: non-college) area there are just not that many of them. Padmapper is your best bet.

I'd be very surprised to see even a 1BR in Watertown for under $1500 these days. Padmapper and Craigslist aren't showing much of anything even below $2000.

The other trick about Watertown is the commute, since it's not on the T. Either you drive (and pay a zillion dollars for parking near the law school, negating your rent savings), or you live close to a bus line. Several bus lines go directly from Watertown to Harvard Square (71, 72, 73, and 75 I think). The problem the bus is, if you're living close enough to a bus line AND close enough to the Cambridge side of Watertown to make your commute reliably under a half hour, then you might have trouble keeping the price of a 1BR down since those are areas where demand is higher. Cheaper areas could mean longer commutes including more walking time. You really don't want a 45 minute commute (worse in rush hour) each way, which is what a lot of Watertown will end up being. At that point, for most people, the cost savings don't outweigh the extra stress, lost time, and isolation from your social network.

Though it's relatively rare compared to Cambridge / Somerville, I know several students who live in Arlington and a number more who live in Allston. I can only think of one who did Watertown.

Single-Malt-Liquor

Postby Single-Malt-Liquor » Sun May 31, 2015 12:29 am

despina wrote:

I pay $700 for a 3br in Somerville 20 min walk away. 8)

But as a 1L I would not probably want to be that far away.

despina

Postby despina » Sun May 31, 2015 8:00 am

Single-Malt-Liquor wrote:I pay $700 for a 3br in Somerville 20 min walk away. 8)

I assume you mean that you pay $700 for your bedroom, so the total cost of the 3BR apartment is around $2100?

Single-Malt-Liquor

Postby Single-Malt-Liquor » Sun May 31, 2015 8:38 am

despina wrote:
Single-Malt-Liquor wrote:I pay $700 for a 3br in Somerville 20 min walk away. 8)

I assume you mean that you pay $700 for your bedroom, so the total cost of the 3BR apartment is around $2100?

Yeah.

delusional

Postby delusional » Sun May 31, 2015 3:47 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:Anyone here know people who landed MBB (or tried and didn't?) Feel free to pm
I know a few of both but I don't know much about the process. If you have any specific questions, I can try to answer them based on the tiny bit I've heard.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Sun May 31, 2015 8:56 pm

best place other than fb group to find people who need roomates?

leslieknope

Postby leslieknope » Sun May 31, 2015 9:56 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:best place other than fb group to find people who need roomates?

Try the Harvard Grad Market or the Harvard Housing groups for non-law school affiliated roommates? Also congrats, btw!! :D

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Sun May 31, 2015 10:49 pm

leslieknope wrote:
Mack.Hambleton wrote:best place other than fb group to find people who need roomates?

Try the Harvard Grad Market or the Harvard Housing groups for non-law school affiliated roommates? Also congrats, btw!! :D

Thank you! :)

runinthefront

Postby runinthefront » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:22 am

Does anyone know the max amount of need based aid Harvard typically gives? I'm fairly sure I would qualify for the max aid but don't know how much that would actually be.

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:45 am

runinthefront wrote:Does anyone know the max amount of need based aid Harvard typically gives? I'm fairly sure I would qualify for the max aid but don't know how much that would actually be.

It's in the neighborhood of 35k. Max aid is calculated so recipients exit with $150kish in debt.

charrob

Postby charrob » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:21 am

Hi,

Does anyone have any thoughts on a Gropius type 1/2 room (in Dane) vs a room in Hastings? I'm currently considering switching so it would be great to find out pros/cons or any info on which is nicer, more/less sociable, quieter/noisier etc..

Thank you!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”