Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
pupshaw
Posts: 504
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:08 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby pupshaw » Sun May 24, 2015 10:23 pm

How dressed up are we supposed to be for graduation?

Orion311
Posts: 114
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:11 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Orion311 » Mon May 25, 2015 4:56 pm

.
Last edited by Orion311 on Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robotrick
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:53 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby robotrick » Mon May 25, 2015 5:05 pm

Orion311 wrote:How's the soundproofing in Gropius? Can someone make music in their room without disturbing anyone who's trying to study nearby? Will lounge parties keep anyone within a few doors awake some nights?

1) Most of the sound comes into/out of the rooms through the doors in my experience. However, I could hear my neighbors having sex and loud phone conversations.
2) As long as you have the volume low or use headphones I don't think it'd be a problem.
3) Yes, most likely, unless you happen to live near an unpopular lounge.

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3224
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby ph14 » Mon May 25, 2015 5:27 pm

pupshaw wrote:How dressed up are we supposed to be for graduation?


Most people are along the lines of business casual.

Indifference
Posts: 535
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:01 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Indifference » Mon May 25, 2015 5:44 pm

Likely a dumb question, and perhaps answered previously, but would anyone be able to say what the typical day is like 1L, in terms of numbers of classes/length of day/number of books carried? Also guessing this would depend on section and classes your first and second semesters, correct?
I'm just getting down to the nitty gritty stuff: currently trying to determine if I need to get a much, much bigger backpack to carry books, or if a laptop messenger for laptop and notebook/pens + me carrying books on the 66 will work.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2739
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby TripTrip » Mon May 25, 2015 6:10 pm

mujiali wrote:Likely a dumb question, and perhaps answered previously, but would anyone be able to say what the typical day is like 1L, in terms of numbers of classes/length of day/number of books carried? Also guessing this would depend on section and classes your first and second semesters, correct?
I'm just getting down to the nitty gritty stuff: currently trying to determine if I need to get a much, much bigger backpack to carry books, or if a laptop messenger for laptop and notebook/pens + me carrying books on the 66 will work.

You will have on average 3.2 hours of classes each day during first semester of 1L. That will boil down to 1-3 classes each day.

Here's what typical casebooks look like:
Image

If you're planning on bringing all your books for all your classes each day, you'll probably want a backpack.

despina
Posts: 477
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:09 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby despina » Mon May 25, 2015 6:13 pm

mujiali wrote:Likely a dumb question, and perhaps answered previously, but would anyone be able to say what the typical day is like 1L, in terms of numbers of classes/length of day/number of books carried? Also guessing this would depend on section and classes your first and second semesters, correct?
I'm just getting down to the nitty gritty stuff: currently trying to determine if I need to get a much, much bigger backpack to carry books, or if a laptop messenger for laptop and notebook/pens + me carrying books on the 66 will work.


The "day in the life" / "number of classes" question was answered (by me and several others) within the last few weeks so if you go back a few pages you'll likely find it.

Not sure if the backpack question has been addressed on this thread specifically but it's a frequent one in the forums -- search for "backpack" / "messenger bag" / "tote" or whatever and you'll hear lots of opinions by gender. My short answer: 1L I needed a backpack every day. 2L / 3L I usually was able to get away with a large purse.

Indifference
Posts: 535
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:01 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Indifference » Mon May 25, 2015 6:24 pm

despina wrote:
mujiali wrote:Likely a dumb question, and perhaps answered previously, but would anyone be able to say what the typical day is like 1L, in terms of numbers of classes/length of day/number of books carried? Also guessing this would depend on section and classes your first and second semesters, correct?
I'm just getting down to the nitty gritty stuff: currently trying to determine if I need to get a much, much bigger backpack to carry books, or if a laptop messenger for laptop and notebook/pens + me carrying books on the 66 will work.


The "day in the life" / "number of classes" question was answered (by me and several others) within the last few weeks so if you go back a few pages you'll likely find it.

Not sure if the backpack question has been addressed on this thread specifically but it's a frequent one in the forums -- search for "backpack" / "messenger bag" / "tote" or whatever and you'll hear lots of opinions by gender. My short answer: 1L I needed a backpack every day. 2L / 3L I usually was able to get away with a large purse.


I'll take a look at those posts earlier on in the thread; I'm on this pretty regularly, but it still gets tough to keep track of everything that is said. Also, I've already taken a look at a lot of the bag debate threads, just thought some HLS/Boston geography and bus line specific info would be better addressed here. Will probably go with a bigger bag for 1L. Thanks :)

ETA: Thanks to you too, Trip.
Last edited by Indifference on Mon May 25, 2015 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Nonconsecutive
Posts: 2240
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Nonconsecutive » Mon May 25, 2015 6:27 pm

mujiali wrote:I'm just getting down to the nitty gritty stuff: currently trying to determine if I need to get a much, much bigger backpack to carry books, or if a laptop messenger for laptop and notebook/pens + me carrying books on the 66 will work.


I lived off campus, used the bus, did ok - just had a very, very big backpack some days. On those super crowded bus days, I just used my backpack to clear paths. I'm just using some standard mid-tier backpack (e.g. not a 200$ waste of money or a huge travel backpack) that has done me very well over the past five years. Getting a locker helps a lot.

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3224
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby ph14 » Mon May 25, 2015 6:42 pm

I would recommend a backpack. I don't think I could've done law school with just a laptop bag. Unless you live on campus perhaps.

Indifference
Posts: 535
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:01 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Indifference » Mon May 25, 2015 9:30 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:
mujiali wrote:I'm just getting down to the nitty gritty stuff: currently trying to determine if I need to get a much, much bigger backpack to carry books, or if a laptop messenger for laptop and notebook/pens + me carrying books on the 66 will work.


I lived off campus, used the bus, did ok - just had a very, very big backpack some days. On those super crowded bus days, I just used my backpack to clear paths. I'm just using some standard mid-tier backpack (e.g. not a 200$ waste of money or a huge travel backpack) that has done me very well over the past five years. Getting a locker helps a lot.



Thanks all for your replies. Speaking of lockers, does anyone know when the sign up/survey for this coming academic year is likely to open up, or when it has opened in the past?

User avatar
Pneumonia
Posts: 1642
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Pneumonia » Tue May 26, 2015 3:49 pm

Does anyone have any idea when the negotiation grade will come out for 1L's?

User avatar
Mr. Elshal
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:30 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Mr. Elshal » Tue May 26, 2015 8:26 pm

Pneumonia wrote:Does anyone have any idea when the negotiation grade will come out for 1L's?


still didn't get mine and I'm a 2L

NEdelton1987
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:57 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby NEdelton1987 » Tue May 26, 2015 9:44 pm

I don't find class day events interesting. What proportion of people skip class day events?

User avatar
Mack.Hambleton
Posts: 5417
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:09 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Wed May 27, 2015 4:43 am

Anyone here know people who landed MBB (or tried and didn't?) Feel free to pm

lawschoolboundfuture
Posts: 249
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:07 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby lawschoolboundfuture » Wed May 27, 2015 7:01 pm

Still missing 2 grades. When should they all be up?

User avatar
acrossthelake
Posts: 4432
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby acrossthelake » Wed May 27, 2015 7:46 pm

NEdelton1987 wrote:I don't find class day events interesting. What proportion of people skip class day events?



Class day speakers were the highlight of my HLS graduation. Preet Bhahara and Mindy Kaling were a pretty clutch duo, tho. Most ppl seemed to be there.

User avatar
whosinthehousejc
Posts: 228
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:54 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby whosinthehousejc » Wed May 27, 2015 10:16 pm

Hey guys, anybody have an idea when us 1Ls should know our fall schedules?

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2739
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby TripTrip » Wed May 27, 2015 10:58 pm

whosinthehousejc wrote:Hey guys, anybody have an idea when us 1Ls should know our fall schedules?

Mid-August.

User avatar
Mack.Hambleton
Posts: 5417
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:09 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Thu May 28, 2015 3:00 am

How hard is it to land Chicago firms from HLS? Does it require above median grades?

sorcer
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:37 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby sorcer » Thu May 28, 2015 4:49 am

.
Last edited by sorcer on Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
whosinthehousejc
Posts: 228
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:54 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby whosinthehousejc » Thu May 28, 2015 7:04 am

TripTrip wrote:
whosinthehousejc wrote:Hey guys, anybody have an idea when us 1Ls should know our fall schedules?

Mid-August.


Thanks, trip!

tomwatts
Posts: 1551
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:01 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby tomwatts » Thu May 28, 2015 3:04 pm

lawschoolboundfuture wrote:Still missing 2 grades. When should they all be up?

It could be a while. You might have them by the time that 1Ls get theirs in mid-June... or you might not.

tomwatts
Posts: 1551
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:01 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby tomwatts » Thu May 28, 2015 3:07 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
NEdelton1987 wrote:I don't find class day events interesting. What proportion of people skip class day events?



Class day speakers were the highlight of my HLS graduation. Preet Bhahara and Mindy Kaling were a pretty clutch duo, tho. Most ppl seemed to be there.

Also, why should it matter what percentage of people skip? If you don't want to go, don't go. If you do, do.

For what it's worth, it seemed like a majority but nowhere near all of the graduates were there yesterday.

User avatar
metroidbum
Posts: 905
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:51 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby metroidbum » Thu May 28, 2015 7:44 pm

.
Last edited by metroidbum on Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests