Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
2666
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:13 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby 2666 » Tue May 19, 2015 2:15 am

Hey guys. Really curious. Are the reading materials paper-based or pdf? I'm a slow reader on computer so I'm thinking if it's feasible to print all the materials and whether I should buy myself a printer for that.

despina
Posts: 477
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:09 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby despina » Tue May 19, 2015 7:11 am

Materials are either books (which you are responsible for buying) or course pack (which you receive, for free, from the HLS copy center). Most profs also let you access their course pack in PDF form while others do not.

You also have a password for the school printers. I never did figure out what the print limit is because despite printing hundreds of pages per semester I never reached it.

It doesn't hurt to have your own printer, especially if you live far from campus, but it's definitely not necessary.

User avatar
Nonconsecutive
Posts: 2240
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Nonconsecutive » Tue May 19, 2015 11:12 am

I printed a lot of stuff, did not use the 100$ you get for the year.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby lawschool22 » Tue May 19, 2015 11:19 am

2666 wrote:Hey guys. Really curious. Are the reading materials paper-based or pdf? I'm a slow reader on computer so I'm thinking if it's feasible to print all the materials and whether I should buy myself a printer for that.


Having a printer at home was wonderfully convenient. You never know when you're going to want to print something, and not having to trek to computer lab at midnight when you need to print is great. It also comes in handy during the busier times, like LRW deadlines, law review competition, and so forth.

I have a really solid wireless Brother B&W laser printer that I picked up from Amazon for like $80. Off-brand ink is pretty cheap, as is paper (both from Amazon). I think it works out to about $0.016 per page.

Sure that's not free, but for me the convenience is worth it, since I like to print a lot of stuff. If that's not you, then you can easily get by without one.

User avatar
ChemEng1642
Posts: 1239
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:26 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby ChemEng1642 » Tue May 19, 2015 11:26 am

lawschool22 wrote:
2666 wrote:Hey guys. Really curious. Are the reading materials paper-based or pdf? I'm a slow reader on computer so I'm thinking if it's feasible to print all the materials and whether I should buy myself a printer for that.


Having a printer at home was wonderfully convenient. You never know when you're going to want to print something, and not having to trek to computer lab at midnight when you need to print is great. It also comes in handy during the busier times, like LRW deadlines, law review competition, and so forth.

I have a really solid wireless Brother B&W laser printer that I picked up from Amazon for like $80. Off-brand ink is pretty cheap, as is paper (both from Amazon). I think it works out to about $0.016 per page.

Sure that's not free, but for me the convenience is worth it, since I like to print a lot of stuff. If that's not you, then you can easily get by without one.


Pretty sure I have the same printer - It's great! And runs well past the "toner low" indication which you can bypass to just keep printing...

User avatar
Mr. Elshal
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:30 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Mr. Elshal » Tue May 19, 2015 11:56 am

2666 wrote:Hey guys. Really curious. Are the reading materials paper-based or pdf? I'm a slow reader on computer so I'm thinking if it's feasible to print all the materials and whether I should buy myself a printer for that.


I think most professors will give you access to a physical course pack but I've had two or three professors who gave over a hundred pages of reading per week and did not have the copy center print out the course pack, instead instructing us to print it on our own. I easily blew through my HLS printing limit when I had two of those classes in the same semester.

ETA: But I still didn't really need a printer at home. I had one, but HLS printing gives you a lot. I just like having a printer at home for last minute things and for editing my writing.

User avatar
wonka
Posts: 470
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:46 pm

Post removed.

Postby wonka » Tue May 19, 2015 11:58 am

Post removed.
Last edited by wonka on Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ChemEng1642
Posts: 1239
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:26 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby ChemEng1642 » Tue May 19, 2015 11:59 am

wonka wrote:
Thank you! All the apartments were gone when I logged in for my select window, so it ended up not even being an issue. :cry:


uhh

:(

User avatar
wonka
Posts: 470
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:46 pm

Post removed.

Postby wonka » Tue May 19, 2015 12:00 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by wonka on Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
leslieknope
Posts: 1091
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:53 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby leslieknope » Tue May 19, 2015 12:54 pm

Late September is still before school gets really intense 1L, right? Can I buy this concert ticket for around then and be reasonably certain I won't have to frantically sell it on StubHub the night before?

User avatar
codyoneill
Posts: 166
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:31 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby codyoneill » Tue May 19, 2015 1:04 pm

leslieknope wrote:Late September is still before school gets really intense 1L, right? Can I buy this concert ticket for around then and be reasonably certain I won't have to frantically sell it on StubHub the night before?


You can definitely go to a concert during 1L fall.
To be honest, much of the 1L intensity is self-induced.

For the first few weeks you will be freaked out because you have no idea what's going on.
Then you will settle into a routine.
At some point around Thanksgiving outlining and exam intensity will set in until Winter Break hits. I would not have gone to a concert during that time.

Anything beyond that is non-environmental intensity of your own making.
So if you're a relatively normal person, you should feel free to go to the concert.

User avatar
PotenC
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:13 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby PotenC » Tue May 19, 2015 1:09 pm

codyoneill wrote:
leslieknope wrote:Late September is still before school gets really intense 1L, right? Can I buy this concert ticket for around then and be reasonably certain I won't have to frantically sell it on StubHub the night before?


You can definitely go to a concert during 1L fall.
To be honest, much of the 1L intensity is self-induced.

For the first few weeks you will be freaked out because you have no idea what's going on.
Then you will settle into a routine.
At some point around Thanksgiving outlining and exam intensity will set in until Winter Break hits. I would not have gone to a concert during that time.

Anything beyond that is non-environmental intensity of your own making.
So if you're a relatively normal person, you should feel free to go to the concert.


Disagree completely. If you go to a concert in September you will miss out on CRITICAL evening events with open bars and heavy hors-d'oeuvres.

User avatar
ChemEng1642
Posts: 1239
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:26 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby ChemEng1642 » Tue May 19, 2015 1:13 pm

So does anyone have opinions on Haskins Hall?

User avatar
Pneumonia
Posts: 1642
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Pneumonia » Tue May 19, 2015 1:49 pm

I went to several concerts 1L and it was always fine. Generally you can probably get your reading done before the evening if you're diligent (and if you don't sign up for every single journal/club/group/gov/RA/committee that you see). Other than finals time you should have no qualms about booking evening events.

nerd1
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 11:35 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby nerd1 » Tue May 19, 2015 2:13 pm

Pneumonia wrote:Generally you can probably get your reading done before the evening if you're diligent (and if you don't sign up for every single journal/club/group/gov/RA/committee that you see)


What? Are you a god?

To 0Ls:
Generally, 1L workload is really intense. You would prepare for two classes the night before. In the first semester, civ pro will give you at least 50 pages. In the second semester, your international law elective will probably give you more readings than civ pro did in the first semester.
Of course, if you are a fast-reader, you may find things a lot easier than Scott Turow and I did. At the end of the day, at least from my experience, generally the hard workers (including myself) performed better than let's-chill types. The previous remark is not aimed at anyone in particular. Just my observation.

The best advice I received from professors and BSAs was this: do whatever that worked for you in college. Use the ways of living and studying that got you into Harvard Law School.

Do not sign up to multiple journals just because your friends are doing so. Do not buy E&Es for every course just because others are doing so. (Only buy or get them for courses like civ pro for which they are really needed). Do not try to go to every event and be friends with everyone, if you are not outgoing. During your 1L year, your learning experience, performance and true friendship are the only things that matter.

tomwatts
Posts: 1551
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:01 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby tomwatts » Tue May 19, 2015 3:25 pm

nerd1 wrote:The best advice I received from professors and BSAs was this: do whatever that worked for you in college. Use the ways of living and studying that got you into Harvard Law School.

I'm sure that this advice makes sense to someone, but I just want to add that this advice doesn't make sense to everyone. If what you were studying was sufficiently different from law that you can't make any kind of analogy between how you studied then and how you're approaching law school, don't worry about it. Figure out something that works for you once you're there.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby lawschool22 » Tue May 19, 2015 3:43 pm

tomwatts wrote:
nerd1 wrote:The best advice I received from professors and BSAs was this: do whatever that worked for you in college. Use the ways of living and studying that got you into Harvard Law School.

I'm sure that this advice makes sense to someone, but I just want to add that this advice doesn't make sense to everyone. If what you were studying was sufficiently different from law that you can't make any kind of analogy between how you studied then and how you're approaching law school, don't worry about it. Figure out something that works for you once you're there.


Yeah I actually found it quite different. But then again I was a Finance and Accounting major, so that's hardly surprising.

The biggest thing I didn't realize was how little most of the semester matters to the final outcome. You truly could (though I don't recommend it) learn everything you needed to know during reading period, and definitely pass and maybe snag a high pass.* Of course studying for finals is certainly easier if you've been staying on top of things. But you most certainly can miss classes, readings, etc., and generally be absolutely fine. That was strange for me, and definitely not at all like undergrad, where attendance matters, you might have homework, midterms, and the like.

This is all a blessing and a curse. You have a lot of flexibility, but you also need to have a lot of self-determination. It is very easy (believe me) to go out every Thursday and miss every Friday morning Contracts class. :lol: But then again I hated Contracts.

*All of this is anecdotal and based on the professors I had. Your experience can certainly be different with different profs.

User avatar
PotenC
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:13 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby PotenC » Tue May 19, 2015 4:23 pm

lawschool22 wrote:It is very easy (believe me) to go out every Thursday and miss every Friday morning Contracts class. :lol: But then again I hated Contracts.

*All of this is anecdotal and based on the professors I had. Your experience can certainly be different with different profs.


Image

User avatar
codyoneill
Posts: 166
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:31 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby codyoneill » Tue May 19, 2015 4:42 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
tomwatts wrote:
nerd1 wrote:The best advice I received from professors and BSAs was this: do whatever that worked for you in college. Use the ways of living and studying that got you into Harvard Law School.

I'm sure that this advice makes sense to someone, but I just want to add that this advice doesn't make sense to everyone. If what you were studying was sufficiently different from law that you can't make any kind of analogy between how you studied then and how you're approaching law school, don't worry about it. Figure out something that works for you once you're there.


Yeah I actually found it quite different. But then again I was a Finance and Accounting major, so that's hardly surprising.

The biggest thing I didn't realize was how little most of the semester matters to the final outcome. You truly could (though I don't recommend it) learn everything you needed to know during reading period, and definitely pass and maybe snag a high pass.* Of course studying for finals is certainly easier if you've been staying on top of things. But you most certainly can miss classes, readings, etc., and generally be absolutely fine. That was strange for me, and definitely not at all like undergrad, where attendance matters, you might have homework, midterms, and the like.

This is all a blessing and a curse. You have a lot of flexibility, but you also need to have a lot of self-determination. It is very easy (believe me) to go out every Thursday and miss every Friday morning Contracts class. :lol: But then again I hated Contracts.

*All of this is anecdotal and based on the professors I had. Your experience can certainly be different with different profs.


Yeah, I studied completely differently than I did in undergrad.

The hardest part of first semester of 1L year is learning what you need to retain from the material, what doesn't matter at all, and what matters a little but you don't REALLY need to know because you can always to look to your outline if it comes up.

I'm not sure if there's any way to game that.

A couple things I read before law school that didn't help me in any individual class, but did help me get a background framework for the law were:

History of American Law
American Law in the 20th Century
Law 101

I can't say that any of these made one difference on exams, but they helped me gain my footing at the start of 1L. And they were all pretty fun to read so no regrets.

User avatar
nothingtosee
Posts: 865
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 12:08 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby nothingtosee » Tue May 19, 2015 8:56 pm

The employers coming to EIP is now up, but I can't figure out CSM.

Once you log in to CSM, select the “OCI” tab. From the “Session” dropdown menu, choose “EIP 2015 On-Campus Interviews” for employers conducting in-person interviews, or “EIP 2015 Resume Collection” for employers collecting resumes only.


I see neither an OCI tab nor a session dropdown menu...

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2737
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby TripTrip » Tue May 19, 2015 9:10 pm

nothingtosee wrote:The employers coming to EIP is now up, but I can't figure out CSM.

Once you log in to CSM, select the “OCI” tab. From the “Session” dropdown menu, choose “EIP 2015 On-Campus Interviews” for employers conducting in-person interviews, or “EIP 2015 Resume Collection” for employers collecting resumes only.


I see neither an OCI tab nor a session dropdown menu...

Click this link.

This is not their whole list. I don't know why they sent it out without the full list of employers. It's just Latham and a few early submitters.

User avatar
nothingtosee
Posts: 865
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 12:08 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby nothingtosee » Tue May 19, 2015 9:54 pm

TripTrip wrote:
nothingtosee wrote:The employers coming to EIP is now up, but I can't figure out CSM.

Once you log in to CSM, select the “OCI” tab. From the “Session” dropdown menu, choose “EIP 2015 On-Campus Interviews” for employers conducting in-person interviews, or “EIP 2015 Resume Collection” for employers collecting resumes only.


I see neither an OCI tab nor a session dropdown menu...

Click this link.

This is not their whole list. I don't know why they sent it out without the full list of employers. It's just Latham and a few early submitters.


Clicked that link and got this:
Image

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2737
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby TripTrip » Tue May 19, 2015 10:23 pm

nothingtosee wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
nothingtosee wrote:The employers coming to EIP is now up, but I can't figure out CSM.

Once you log in to CSM, select the “OCI” tab. From the “Session” dropdown menu, choose “EIP 2015 On-Campus Interviews” for employers conducting in-person interviews, or “EIP 2015 Resume Collection” for employers collecting resumes only.


I see neither an OCI tab nor a session dropdown menu...

Click this link.

This is not their whole list. I don't know why they sent it out without the full list of employers. It's just Latham and a few early submitters.


Clicked that link and got this:
[image of not what nothingtosee is supposed to be seeing on CSM]

Well that's not what you're supposed to be seeing.

Email OCS then, because the tab is there for 2Ls.

User avatar
Mr. Elshal
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:30 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Mr. Elshal » Tue May 19, 2015 11:15 pm

TripTrip wrote:
nothingtosee wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
nothingtosee wrote:The employers coming to EIP is now up, but I can't figure out CSM.

Once you log in to CSM, select the “OCI” tab. From the “Session” dropdown menu, choose “EIP 2015 On-Campus Interviews” for employers conducting in-person interviews, or “EIP 2015 Resume Collection” for employers collecting resumes only.


I see neither an OCI tab nor a session dropdown menu...

Click this link.

This is not their whole list. I don't know why they sent it out without the full list of employers. It's just Latham and a few early submitters.


Clicked that link and got this:
[image of not what nothingtosee is supposed to be seeing on CSM]

Well that's not what you're supposed to be seeing.

Email OCS then, because the tab is there for 2Ls.


I don't remember what it is but there's something you need to submit before you can see the EIP list. It might be your summer employment survey for 1L summer. If I remember correctly, there was an issue processing mine so I couldn't see the list. I emailed OCS and they fixed it really quickly.

lawschoolboundfuture
Posts: 249
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:07 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby lawschoolboundfuture » Wed May 20, 2015 10:22 pm

When do grades come out?




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests