Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ChemEng1642

Silver

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Post by ChemEng1642 » Thu May 14, 2015 9:06 am

morimoto1991 wrote:hi guys!

i currently have an AT&T phone and was wondering how it is on campus. in particular i'll be living in gropius during 1L...are there any problems with reception? i have a contract expiring soon and would like to know. thanks! :)
Same for T-mobile! Which I'm sure sucks though :(

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Thu May 14, 2015 9:10 am

i currently have an AT&T phone and was wondering how it is on campus. in particular i'll be living in gropius during 1L...are there any problems with reception? i have a contract expiring soon and would like to know. thanks! :)
There are a few scattered posts ITT speaking about service, I haven't had any issues with AT&T, but I don't live in Gropius.

whosinthehousejc

Bronze

Post by whosinthehousejc » Thu May 14, 2015 2:37 pm

So, how bad is it to skip say, 1-3 consecutive days of class during 1L fall? There's a conference that's related to the field I wanna be in, but I'd have to miss a bit of class. Worth it?

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Thu May 14, 2015 2:45 pm

whosinthehousejc wrote:So, how bad is it to skip say, 1-3 consecutive days of class during 1L fall? There's a conference that's related to the field I wanna be in, but I'd have to miss a bit of class. Worth it?
Probably. As long as it's not early September.

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Thu May 14, 2015 2:47 pm

whosinthehousejc wrote:So, how bad is it to skip say, 1-3 consecutive days of class during 1L fall? There's a conference that's related to the field I wanna be in, but I'd have to miss a bit of class. Worth it?
Depends on the class and professor imo. I had once class where skipping 3 days would have actually affected my grade (graded attendance - that was strictly checked) and where the professor had nuanced approaches to certain topic, but then there was another class where I could have skipped the entire semester and done just as well on the exam with supplements.

I'd still lean towards worth it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mr. Elshal

Silver

Post by Mr. Elshal » Thu May 14, 2015 3:18 pm

ChemEng1642 wrote:

I'm on T-Mobile. It used to really suck but they've boosted the signal around campus over the past year and I have almost no problems. A bunch of dead zones inside WCC, but I just call over wifi when I'm in those areas.

I've missed absurd amounts of consecutive days of class and, while it can sometimes be a mess to catch up, as long as attendance isn't factored into your grade you should be totally fine. I've definitely missed more than 3 in a row without issue. Even if attendance is factored into your grade, some teachers will accommodate things like this (others have trouble seeing outside the ivory tower).

whosinthehousejc

Bronze

Post by whosinthehousejc » Thu May 14, 2015 5:36 pm

Mr. Elshal wrote:
ChemEng1642 wrote:

I'm on T-Mobile. It used to really suck but they've boosted the signal around campus over the past year and I have almost no problems. A bunch of dead zones inside WCC, but I just call over wifi when I'm in those areas.

I've missed absurd amounts of consecutive days of class and, while it can sometimes be a mess to catch up, as long as attendance isn't factored into your grade you should be totally fine. I've definitely missed more than 3 in a row without issue. Even if attendance is factored into your grade, some teachers will accommodate things like this (others have trouble seeing outside the ivory tower).
Thanks all, conference is in mid-Oct. I figure that's well within catch-up-from-classmates-later range. On a similar note, do most profs allow students to record lectures as part of their note-taking process?

Gold

Post by 094320 » Thu May 14, 2015 6:03 pm

whosinthehousejc

Bronze

Post by whosinthehousejc » Thu May 14, 2015 6:08 pm

acrossthelake wrote:If you have a pre-cleared reason to skip class, you can get a waiver that the Prof signs and then you can rent out an audio recorder from the media center and have a classmate record the prof while you're out. You have to get it cleared, though, and my profs instructed me to please delete the audio recording once I was done listening and taking notes from it (tho not enforceable). I missed an embarrassing number of my torts classes (8:10AM was just too much to ask of me...) first semester and still got an H. For some professors, the stuff they say in class really matters. For others you'd do just as well if not better) studying out of an E&E instead. Hard to say much without knowing which classes & which profs you'd be skipping, but I'd just ask 2 classmates if you can have their notes.
That's actually a kind of cool system. Thanks across. As an incoming 1L, it's pretty frightening to know that consistently attending a class could lead me to a worse outcome than just reading an E&E. Was your 1L approach total trial and error, or did you get tips from upperclassfolks?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

yesman2380

New

Post by yesman2380 » Fri May 15, 2015 9:03 am

Nonconsecutive wrote:

There are a few scattered posts ITT speaking about service, I haven't had any issues with AT&T, but I don't live in Gropius.
I have AT&T and lived in gropius. No problems whatsoever.

m_ross

New

Post by m_ross » Fri May 15, 2015 4:04 pm

ChemEng1642 wrote:

A friend who lived in Gropius had T-mobile last semester, and it was terrible. He only got reception in one corner of his room, and was pretty impossible to reach. YMMV, but I would stay away if at all possible. A bunch of people have AT&T, and I have Verizon, with no issues at all.

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Fri May 15, 2015 5:55 pm

whosinthehousejc wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:If you have a pre-cleared reason to skip class, you can get a waiver that the Prof signs and then you can rent out an audio recorder from the media center and have a classmate record the prof while you're out. You have to get it cleared, though, and my profs instructed me to please delete the audio recording once I was done listening and taking notes from it (tho not enforceable). I missed an embarrassing number of my torts classes (8:10AM was just too much to ask of me...) first semester and still got an H. For some professors, the stuff they say in class really matters. For others you'd do just as well if not better) studying out of an E&E instead. Hard to say much without knowing which classes & which profs you'd be skipping, but I'd just ask 2 classmates if you can have their notes.
That's actually a kind of cool system. Thanks across. As an incoming 1L, it's pretty frightening to know that consistently attending a class could lead me to a worse outcome than just reading an E&E. Was your 1L approach total trial and error, or did you get tips from upperclassfolks?
It's really very professor specific. Upperclass people can certainly help. I also think you'll get a sense of which classes you can skip and/or not read for, and which you can't. Another thing I found helpful was to take a look at past exams early on, so you can get a sense about what that prof cares about. Some care more about black letter law (where an E&E could be helpful), others care more about policy or normative views (where an E&E would not be), some have specific ways of looking at cases, etc. In short, it's nothing you should worry about, because you will figure it out fairly quickly I think.

PHXSuns

New

Post by PHXSuns » Fri May 15, 2015 6:00 pm

Last edited by PHXSuns on Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Sat May 16, 2015 12:59 am

PHXSuns wrote:do people collaborate on the submit portion of the law review competition?
That would be against the rules so I doubt it's prevalent. Of course, you never know with these things. People don't always play by the rules.

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Mon May 18, 2015 11:32 am

Does anyone have any opinions on Charlies Fried and/or Tomiko Brown-Nagin for 14th, beyond those on Dope? My schedule is looking more and more like I might be trying to decide between those two if I stick with 14th.

wonka

Bronze

Post removed.

Post by wonka » Mon May 18, 2015 6:05 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by wonka on Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Mon May 18, 2015 6:08 pm

tomwatts wrote:Grades and Latin honors come out at basically the same time. It's generally late in the week before graduation. In 2013, it was Friday before graduation. In 2014, it was Thursday before graduation. My money is on Thursday, May 21st, 2015.

Just generally as a PSA, for 2Ls, grades come out around the same time, but they can be delayed, because they don't have to come out in order for you to graduate the way they do with 3Ls.
Just to continue my curiosity about analytics and grades....

Apparently the faculty "votes" on our degrees this week, according to an email from Dean Cosgrove. So grades will be ready (and very likely released) this week.

My bet is still on this Thursday.

(Note that the Registrar will, at the same time as 3L grades come out, announce the mid-June release date for 1L grades if this year is like previous years.)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ChemEng1642

Silver

Post by ChemEng1642 » Mon May 18, 2015 7:32 pm

wonka wrote:HUH window is coming up in the morning. Some of the apartments look great, except:
This apartment is wheelchair-accessible. If you lease this apartment and are a non-disabled person or a family that does not include a person with a disability, Landlord reserves the right to relocate you/your family at any time during your lease term, if it is determined that a person with a disability or a family that includes a person with a disability will need to reside in this wheelchair-accessible apartment.
Anyone heard of this actually happening? Being kicked out before 1L exams wouldn't be so peachy.
Dang what apartment was this?

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Mon May 18, 2015 8:16 pm

tomwatts wrote:
tomwatts wrote:Grades and Latin honors come out at basically the same time. It's generally late in the week before graduation. In 2013, it was Friday before graduation. In 2014, it was Thursday before graduation. My money is on Thursday, May 21st, 2015.

Just generally as a PSA, for 2Ls, grades come out around the same time, but they can be delayed, because they don't have to come out in order for you to graduate the way they do with 3Ls.

Apparently the faculty "votes" on our degrees this week, according to an email from Dean Cosgrove. So grades will be ready (and very likely released) this week.

(Note that the Registrar will, at the same time as 3L grades come out, announce the mid-June release date for 1L grades if this year is like previous years.)
Do they release 1L elective grades at this time too (since those courses had 2Ls and 3Ls)? Or do all 1L grades, electives included, come out mid-June?

robotrick

Bronze

Post by robotrick » Mon May 18, 2015 8:31 pm

wonka wrote:HUH window is coming up in the morning. Some of the apartments look great, except:
This apartment is wheelchair-accessible. If you lease this apartment and are a non-disabled person or a family that does not include a person with a disability, Landlord reserves the right to relocate you/your family at any time during your lease term, if it is determined that a person with a disability or a family that includes a person with a disability will need to reside in this wheelchair-accessible apartment.
Anyone heard of this actually happening? Being kicked out before 1L exams wouldn't be so peachy.
I have the same concern. And I also wonder exactly what will be different about the apartment. I know there's a list of accessibility changes that might be present, including lower counters and such. But how much lower...?

MAHamlin

Bronze

Post by MAHamlin » Mon May 18, 2015 8:33 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
tomwatts wrote:

Do they release 1L elective grades at this time too (since those courses had 2Ls and 3Ls)? Or do all 1L grades, electives included, come out mid-June?
I can't speak to all 1L electives, but last year I received my 1L elective grade at the same time as the 2L/3L grade release in May.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MyNameIsFlynn!

Silver

Post by MyNameIsFlynn! » Mon May 18, 2015 9:55 pm

tomwatts wrote:

For what it's worth, the clerkship office said in a blog post that they spoke with the registrar and that the registrar expects to release upper-level grades this Thursday the 21st.

consideringtransfer

New

Post by consideringtransfer » Mon May 18, 2015 10:22 pm

How strong are the alumni network/opportunities/career services for non-traditional legal jobs (i.e., IB, VC, Entrepreneurship) ?

I am currently a T-14 student wondering if it is worth transferring.

wonka

Bronze

Post removed.

Post by wonka » Tue May 19, 2015 12:18 am

Post removed.
Last edited by wonka on Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Tue May 19, 2015 1:21 am

wonka wrote:
ChemEng1642 wrote:
Dang what apartment was this?
The one in 29 Garden St. but it seems to be applicable to quite a few others, too...
I can say that I do know one person, who was not at the law school, that did have to move out of their apartment in the middle of the semester because of this. That might have been like the only instance of it happening the entire year though, so who knows, but I can say that it has happened at least once.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”