Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
TripTrip

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby TripTrip » Tue May 05, 2015 12:13 pm

FYI this year's EIP participation list will be released May 18.

cheesin23

Postby cheesin23 » Tue May 05, 2015 7:24 pm

What does a class schedule typically look like for 1Ls? (Especially first semester)

despina

Postby despina » Tue May 05, 2015 7:33 pm

cheesin23 wrote:What does a class schedule typically look like for 1Ls? (Especially first semester)

It's worth searching the thread because there has been a detailed explanation of this before.

Your fall semester you will be in class for 18 hours per week, probably including one to three classes every day.

You will have:
LRW (2 hours), civil procedure (4 hours), and three of the following five common law classes, each of which are 4 hours: torts, contacts, property, criminal law.

In January Term, you take the Problem Solving Workshop, which meets all morning (9-12) every day, and have the afternoon free to work... on "solving problems"... or not.

Spring semester, you will also have LRW, plus the two common law classes you didn't have in the fall, plus an international law class (you choose between 7 classes, each of which are 4 hours). You also have an elective which you choose, which can be almost any (non-clinic) class the school offers, and can meet from 2 hours per week (seminars) to 8 hours per week (Negotiation Workshop).

cheesin23

Postby cheesin23 » Tue May 05, 2015 7:48 pm

despina wrote:
cheesin23 wrote:What does a class schedule typically look like for 1Ls? (Especially first semester)

It's worth searching the thread because there has been a detailed explanation of this before.

Your fall semester you will be in class for 18 hours per week, probably including one to three classes every day.

You will have:
LRW (2 hours), civil procedure (4 hours), and three of the following five common law classes, each of which are 4 hours: torts, contacts, property, criminal law.

In January Term, you take the Problem Solving Workshop, which meets all morning (9-12) every day, and have the afternoon free to work... on "solving problems"... or not.

Spring semester, you will also have LRW, plus the two common law classes you didn't have in the fall, plus an international law class (you choose between 7 classes, each of which are 4 hours). You also have an elective which you choose, which can be almost any (non-clinic) class the school offers, and can meet from 2 hours per week (seminars) to 8 hours per week (Negotiation Workshop).

Thanks! I'll definitely look back through.

despina

Postby despina » Tue May 05, 2015 8:03 pm

Oops, forgot about Legislation and Regulation because it's mostly not a common law class. That goes in the list of five I mentioned, which can be either semester (like crim, torts, contracts, & property).

a1212123

Postby a1212123 » Tue May 05, 2015 10:13 pm

HI all,

A couple of last minute housing questions: First, can anyone speak to how busy the kitchens are at Gropius? Earlier in the thread someone mentioned that the Ames 3 was particularly crowded-- how crowded is crowded? If you wanted to do a bit of cooking at a relatively popular time, would it difficult? If, for example, you were choosing between Holmes 2, Shaw 3, or Ames 3, which would you pick?

(I've got a relatively good housing window, but I can't afford to live somewhere other than Gropius-- trying to pick the best of the cheap :) )

Thanks!

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Wed May 06, 2015 8:15 am

Between Holmes 2 and Ames 3, I'd choose Holmes 2. The kitchen in Ames 3 is crowded enough to be annoying. That was my primary kitchen for two years (I was in Ames 4 and then Holmes 3), and I was almost never alone in there. At peak times (dinner), there are often multiple other people cooking. This is a problem because the kitchen is not very big, so you're tripping over everyone else (or trying to use the same pots and pans or the same burner or the same microwave) pretty much all the time. I made it work — I still cooked pretty much every dinner for myself — but it was obnoxious.

Holmes 2, on the other hand, has a pretty unused kitchen. As a bonus, it's farther from the lounge, and you don't know whether the lounge will be loud or not until a month or two into the year, so it's safer to be farther away.

I don't know the Shaw situation very well, but if I remember correctly, the top floors of Story/Shaw share a kitchen in sort of the same way that the top floors of Holmes/Ames/Dane do, so I'd expect that upper-floor kitchen in Story/Shaw to be pretty busy too.

Of course, none of this matters if you don't expect to cook for yourself regularly, as I think most in Gropius don't. In that case, just don't have a room literally right next a lounge, and you'll be fine.

RedColossus

Postby RedColossus » Wed May 06, 2015 8:15 pm

Reposting this from the Admitted Students Thread, heard it would make more sense here. Thanks everyone!

"I'm considering a three bedroom in Botanic Gardens or Holden Green, and a North Hall small single. The rent would be about $1000 for Botanic, $900 for Holden Green, or $1288 for North Hall (All prices per person). I was wondering if any current students or very-informed 0L's had any thoughts about these three options, specifically Botanic and Holden, as I don't really know much about them. Saving $300 or so a month would be fantastic, but I'd like to hear from anyone who has lived in either of those or knows someone who has.

Feel free to post here or message me. Thanks!"

EvelynS

Postby EvelynS » Wed May 06, 2015 8:26 pm

a1212123 wrote:HI all,

A couple of last minute housing questions: First, can anyone speak to how busy the kitchens are at Gropius? Earlier in the thread someone mentioned that the Ames 3 was particularly crowded-- how crowded is crowded? If you wanted to do a bit of cooking at a relatively popular time, would it difficult? If, for example, you were choosing between Holmes 2, Shaw 3, or Ames 3, which would you pick?

(I've got a relatively good housing window, but I can't afford to live somewhere other than Gropius-- trying to pick the best of the cheap :) )

Thanks!

I don't know how sensitive you are to smells, but leaving on the same floor as the kitchen is may be too smelly for my taste. I lived at Story and used Shaw 3 kitchen. It was crowded during the peak times like lunch and dinner, so I pretty much gave up on the idea of cooking every day. And the smell in the kitchen and in the hall after multiple people cooking at the same time can be very strong. I don't know if any people can smell it in their rooms, but that is something to keep in mind.

malleus discentium

Postby malleus discentium » Wed May 06, 2015 10:56 pm

RedColossus wrote:Reposting this from the Admitted Students Thread, heard it would make more sense here. Thanks everyone!

"I'm considering a three bedroom in Botanic Gardens or Holden Green, and a North Hall small single. The rent would be about $1000 for Botanic, $900 for Holden Green, or $1288 for North Hall (All prices per person). I was wondering if any current students or very-informed 0L's had any thoughts about these three options, specifically Botanic and Holden, as I don't really know much about them. Saving $300 or so a month would be fantastic, but I'd like to hear from anyone who has lived in either of those or knows someone who has.

Feel free to post here or message me. Thanks!"

I have a friend who lives in Holden Green. I spent a fair amount of time at his house, but that was only because I like him a lot (and only his beer enticed me that far in the winter). Botanic Gardens seems marginally closer. I would not have lived either of those places, because it's kind of a trek if you're looking to be sociable as a 1L.
I live in North and it's great. The twin in the small is a bit obnoxious, but I deeply value being close to campus.
Also, do you have to furnish Botanic/Holden Green? It probably wouldn't cost you $2,700, but keep that cost in mind (including what you'll do with the furniture over the summer) when comparing against North.

Orion311

Postby Orion311 » Wed May 06, 2015 11:53 pm

A lot of the floors in Gropius are "coed floors" but they only have a washroom for one gender. Do these end up being mostly single-gender floors in practice?

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Thu May 07, 2015 1:02 am

Orion311 wrote:A lot of the floors in Gropius are "coed floors" but they only have a washroom for one gender. Do these end up being mostly single-gender floors in practice?

Nah. The building are connected. It's like an extra eight feet to be on an "opposite gendered floor."

In practice those floors will be around 60/40

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Thu May 07, 2015 8:08 am

Bear in mind, though, that most of those connections have locked doors (which your ID unlocks), so it's sort of annoying to go from one to the other if you're on a floor with the wrong gender bathroom. The only exception is the Ames-Holmes connection, which is an open hallway (but only on the second and third floors, because Holmes 1 is offices, and Holmes doesn't have a fourth floor).

zor

Postby zor » Fri May 08, 2015 4:25 pm

Fellow 3Ls... Anyone know when we get our (lasssssttt!!!) grades and find out about latin honors? I know grades are due from the profs on May 15th, but seeing as how they always delay as long as possible to give them to us I get the feeling we won't know anything until they put a Commencement program in our hand.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Fri May 08, 2015 7:47 pm

zor wrote:Fellow 3Ls... Anyone know when we get our (lasssssttt!!!) grades and find out about latin honors? I know grades are due from the profs on May 15th, but seeing as how they always delay as long as possible to give them to us I get the feeling we won't know anything until they put a Commencement program in our hand.

Grades and Latin honors come out at basically the same time. It's generally late in the week before graduation. In 2013, it was Friday before graduation. In 2014, it was Thursday before graduation. My money is on Thursday, May 21st, 2015.

Just generally as a PSA, for 2Ls, grades come out around the same time, but they can be delayed, because they don't have to come out in order for you to graduate the way they do with 3Ls.

zor

Postby zor » Fri May 08, 2015 7:48 pm

tomwatts wrote:
zor wrote:Fellow 3Ls... Anyone know when we get our (lasssssttt!!!) grades and find out about latin honors? I know grades are due from the profs on May 15th, but seeing as how they always delay as long as possible to give them to us I get the feeling we won't know anything until they put a Commencement program in our hand.

Grades and Latin honors come out at basically the same time. It's generally late in the week before graduation. In 2013, it was Friday before graduation. In 2014, it was Thursday before graduation. My money is on Thursday, May 21st, 2015.

For 2Ls, grades come out around the same time, but they can be delayed, because they don't have to come out in order for you to graduate the way they do with 3Ls.

Thanks!! I'm still waiting on my J-term grade, so, you know, lack of faith here.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Fri May 08, 2015 8:00 pm

Also, continuing the PSA, most 1L grades are in early/mid-June. Your elective grade probably will come out with the 2L/3L grades, but your other grades probably will come out around June 12. (It was June 12 in 2014 and in 2013.)

The last two years, Lisa Burns sent an email on the day of upper-level grade release announcing that upper-level grades were out and announcing that 1L grades would be released on June 12. So I'd expect something similar this year.

Indigo12

Postby Indigo12 » Sun May 10, 2015 10:51 pm

Two questions:
1. One of my roles this summer is RAing for a Prof whose class I'm in this semester. He's one of those Rhodes-->YLS-->SCOTUS-->Headlining types. Besides doing well on his exam and going above and beyond over the summer in doing what he assigns me, what else can I do to form a mentorship relationship, similar to the question above?

2. My LegReg Prof is relatively new (not visiting, he just hasn't been around for long). It's also hard to tell when he's lecturing on the BLL vs just thinking out loud. The outlines online for his previous years are more "here are the questions you should always have in the back of your mind" than "here's what you need to know."

We used Stephenson & Manning for the statutory interpretation part of the course before using another textbook for the APA & Chevron etc parts of the course. My prof is on the record as disagreeing with this 2nd textbook's author on a lot of things.

I've looked at some Stephenson outlines, and they look better. They followed similar careers paths (Ph.Ds so I'd presume they're both "Madison Federalist #51" types), clerked for same judge etc. Is it safe to use a recent Stephenson outline instead?

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Mon May 11, 2015 12:22 am

Indigo12 wrote:Two questions:
1. One of my roles this summer is RAing for a Prof whose class I'm in this semester. He's one of those Rhodes-->YLS-->SCOTUS-->Headlining types. Besides doing well on his exam and going above and beyond over the summer in doing what he assigns me, what else can I do to form a mentorship relationship, similar to the question above?

The same things you would do in a normal networking or mentoring situation. Meet with him, ask questions about his work, be proactive.

Indigo12 wrote:2. My LegReg Prof is relatively new (not visiting, he just hasn't been around for long). It's also hard to tell when he's lecturing on the BLL vs just thinking out loud. The outlines online for his previous years are more "here are the questions you should always have in the back of your mind" than "here's what you need to know."

We used Stephenson & Manning for the statutory interpretation part of the course before using another textbook for the APA & Chevron etc parts of the course. My prof is on the record as disagreeing with this 2nd textbook's author on a lot of things.

I've looked at some Stephenson outlines, and they look better. They followed similar careers paths (Ph.Ds so I'd presume they're both "Madison Federalist #51" types), clerked for same judge etc. Is it safe to use a recent Stephenson outline instead?

Yeah. This is true for a lot of classes. It's nice to use an outline for the exact prof because it is more likely to contain every piece of material they'll cover in the order they'll cover it, but at the end of the day you're still using the outline to understand the course material better (or to Ctrl+F during the exam). If it helps to use a different outline, by all means use a different one.

splbagel

Postby splbagel » Mon May 11, 2015 7:27 am

sk7415

Postby sk7415 » Mon May 11, 2015 12:25 pm

Another (urgent) housing question:

I've currently got on hold a small room in Story/Gropius, but I managed to grab a Terry Terrace studio in the HLS block a couple hours ago. Given the cost of the place, finding furniture, and the complication with taking a lease in June then having to look for subletters over the summer, I'm most likely going to let this go in lieu of the Story dorm. However I also understand Terry is a pretty coveted location, so given my concerns above, are there other considerations I should give before giving up this apartment? Can anyone speak to their experience living in Terry?

Thanks for any advice, feel free to PM, etc.

antiworldly

Postby antiworldly » Mon May 11, 2015 2:20 pm

I've also got a Terry Terrace question: my wife will need a car for work, and there doesn't seem to be much parking near Terry Terrace. Has anyone lived there with a car, and if so, what did you do for parking?

delusional

Postby delusional » Mon May 11, 2015 3:33 pm

Protip: Don't chase Noah Feldman.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Mon May 11, 2015 9:30 pm

delusional wrote:
Protip: Don't chase Noah Feldman.

Generally good advice, but he is very helpful if you're one of the 5 or so students a year that he takes an interest in. Typically those students have overlapping interests as him, but have some reservoir of knowledge that he does not possess (shocking, I know). Don't be his social media or bloomberg bitch in hopes of impressing him - that's not how it's done.

heythatslife

Postby heythatslife » Mon May 11, 2015 10:03 pm

antiworldly wrote:I've also got a Terry Terrace question: my wife will need a car for work, and there doesn't seem to be much parking near Terry Terrace. Has anyone lived there with a car, and if so, what did you do for parking?

Isn't the Law School garage (Everett St.) right across the street from Terry Terrace? You will have to pay extra, though. Someone who actually drives probably knows the exact regs/prices.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”