Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
TripTrip

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby TripTrip » Sat May 02, 2015 7:18 pm

Con Consigliere wrote:
leslieknope wrote:So what are the odds of getting a room May 7th if you didn't get a housing window from the lottery? I want Gropius type 1, so I'd been assuming I'd be safe, but if they set aside 250 spots for 250 students then it seems like it'll be harder than I thought.

In the same boat, anyone remember?

For 1Ls? You'll be fine.

nickhalden

Postby nickhalden » Sat May 02, 2015 8:04 pm

The Housing Handbook says that all bathrooms are gender specific, but the Gropius page shows gender neutral bathrooms on several floors of the complex. Both of these are supposed to be updated for the 2015-16 year. Do any current students know which is corrrect? And, if the handbook is right, which floors are female and which are male?

The website lists:
- Ames 1 - Male
- Ames 2 - Neutral
- Ames 3 - Female
- Ames 4 - Male

- Dane 1 - Female
- Dane 2 - Male
- Dane 3 - Neutral

- Holmes 2 - Female
- Holmes 3 - Male

- Shaw 1 - Neutral
- Shaw 2 - Male
- Shaw 3 - Female

- Story 1 - Female
- Story 2 - Neutral
- Story 3 - Male
- Story 4 - Netural

Thanks!

blueberrycrumble

Postby blueberrycrumble » Sat May 02, 2015 8:12 pm

nickhalden wrote:The Housing Handbook says that all bathrooms are gender specific, but the Gropius page shows gender neutral bathrooms on several floors of the complex. Both of these are supposed to be updated for the 2015-16 year. Do any current students know which is corrrect? And, if the handbook is right, which floors are female and which are male?

The website lists:
- Ames 1 - Male
- Ames 2 - Neutral
- Ames 3 - Female
- Ames 4 - Male

- Dane 1 - Female
- Dane 2 - Male
- Dane 3 - Neutral

- Holmes 2 - Female
- Holmes 3 - Male

- Shaw 1 - Neutral
- Shaw 2 - Male
- Shaw 3 - Female

- Story 1 - Female
- Story 2 - Neutral
- Story 3 - Male
- Story 4 - Netural

Thanks!

The handbook is what it is for the 2014-2015 year. The bathrooms are changing for the 2015-2016 year since they're introducing gender neutral ones; see here.

nickhalden

Postby nickhalden » Sat May 02, 2015 8:19 pm

blueberrycrumble wrote:The handbook is what it is for the 2014-2015 year. The bathrooms are changing for the 2015-2016 year since they're introducing gender neutral ones; see here.

Great, thanks! They must have not updated that section of the handbook.

despina

Postby despina » Sat May 02, 2015 9:36 pm

Pneumonia wrote:Serious Q: do people cheat on takehomes? I haven't experienced it, but I have pretty good reasons to suspect it.

Eta: I also don't care at all; people should do what works for them. Just curious.

I certainly don't, and I have never heard of anyone cheating on a takehome.

Mr. Elshal

Postby Mr. Elshal » Sat May 02, 2015 9:50 pm

despina wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:Serious Q: do people cheat on takehomes? I haven't experienced it, but I have pretty good reasons to suspect it.

Eta: I also don't care at all; people should do what works for them. Just curious.

I've heard rumors of people cheating, and they sound plausible enough, but on a test that's open-everything and which is frequently a race to get down a vast amount of information, it just doesn't seem like an efficient way to spend your time, even if it weren't a crappy way to get ahead. But I've definitely heard stories of classmates sitting in a room together to take an exam. Just seems silly to me.

Mr. Elshal

Postby Mr. Elshal » Sat May 02, 2015 9:52 pm

malleus discentium wrote:
whosinthehousejc wrote:Current HLS-ers, what dorm/room configuration would you select as a 1L if you had the first room selection window, wanted to maximize interaction w/ other students yet also maintain some semblance of privacy/comfort? Cost isn't really an object, it's all coming out of loans anyway...

This will depend on what kind of interaction you're interested in. I know many people in Gropius hang out with people on their floor a lot. That's not the kind of interaction I prefer--I socialized mostly with people from my section. If this kind of undergrad-style socializing is what you want, Gropius is the place to be. Having a bigger room will make things more comfortable, I suppose, but in my experience the real downside to Gropius is the lack of a bathroom, and even the biggest Gropius room won't solve that.
Also, "it's all coming out of loans anyway" doesn't mean "cost isn't an object" :P

If bathroom is important, I thought North was a great option and I met some really awesome people in the lounge and on my floor. If bathroom is not important, biggest Gropius room you can get. When I saw how big those were, my jaw dropped.

despina

Postby despina » Sat May 02, 2015 9:56 pm

Mr. Elshal wrote:
despina wrote:

I've heard rumors of people cheating, and they sound plausible enough, but on a test that's open-everything and which is frequently a race to get down a vast amount of information, it just doesn't seem like an efficient way to spend your time, even if it weren't a crappy way to get ahead. But I've definitely heard stories of classmates sitting in a room together to take an exam. Just seems silly to me.

In addition to being a great way to risk your C&F after you've already gone into significant debt... I agree that this just seems dumb. I definitely haven't heard of people doing this and I would hope most of our classmates would be smart enough to say "lolnope."

whosinthehousejc

Postby whosinthehousejc » Sun May 03, 2015 11:47 am

Mr. Elshal wrote:
malleus discentium wrote:
whosinthehousejc wrote:Current HLS-ers, what dorm/room configuration would you select as a 1L if you had the first room selection window, wanted to maximize interaction w/ other students yet also maintain some semblance of privacy/comfort? Cost isn't really an object, it's all coming out of loans anyway...

This will depend on what kind of interaction you're interested in. I know many people in Gropius hang out with people on their floor a lot. That's not the kind of interaction I prefer--I socialized mostly with people from my section. If this kind of undergrad-style socializing is what you want, Gropius is the place to be. Having a bigger room will make things more comfortable, I suppose, but in my experience the real downside to Gropius is the lack of a bathroom, and even the biggest Gropius room won't solve that.
Also, "it's all coming out of loans anyway" doesn't mean "cost isn't an object" :P

If bathroom is important, I thought North was a great option and I met some really awesome people in the lounge and on my floor. If bathroom is not important, biggest Gropius room you can get. When I saw how big those were, my jaw dropped.

Cool, thanks a lot for the input. So gender neutral bathrooms are just bathrooms that everyone is allowed to use?

despina

Postby despina » Sun May 03, 2015 11:50 am

whosinthehousejc wrote:So gender neutral bathrooms are just bathrooms that everyone is allowed to use?

Exactly.

So far in the academic buildings it's only the single-person bathrooms (they're in pairs so they used to be one male, one female, but they were changed to gender neutral this year).

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Sun May 03, 2015 4:08 pm

TBF, some of the mens' bathrooms in Gropius and Hastings are currently treated by many as gender neutral anyway. Selecting some to actually be gender neutral just formalizes that.

It's not like a locker room where everyone is wandering around in the nude. The showers and toilets are sufficiently walled and curtained. We're adults and can share a space in which to brush our teeth.

foxes

Postby foxes » Sun May 03, 2015 5:58 pm

The HLS housing website lists the move in dates for the dorms as 8/26/2015...does this mean that any academic programming doesn't start until after the 26? When do incoming 1Ls usually move to Cambridge? Just trying to get my schedule together, I'd like to take a trip in early August. Thanks for any replies!

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Sun May 03, 2015 6:13 pm

foxes wrote:The HLS housing website lists the move in dates for the dorms as 8/26/2015...does this mean that any academic programming doesn't start until after the 26? When do incoming 1Ls usually move to Cambridge? Just trying to get my schedule together, I'd like to take a trip in early August. Thanks for any replies!

1L classes don't start until September 2: http://hls.harvard.edu/dept/academics/a ... r-2015-16/

If you come in early August, you can hang out with all the 2Ls who will be busy going crazy about EIP. (Not really. You won't be able to find them.)

Incoming 1Ls usually move to Cambridge on August 26. I'd advise staying closer to the 26th than the 2nd since you'll meet so many people that week, but some people won't be there until later.

foxes

Postby foxes » Sun May 03, 2015 6:26 pm

TripTrip wrote:
foxes wrote:The HLS housing website lists the move in dates for the dorms as 8/26/2015...does this mean that any academic programming doesn't start until after the 26? When do incoming 1Ls usually move to Cambridge? Just trying to get my schedule together, I'd like to take a trip in early August. Thanks for any replies!

1L classes don't start until September 2: http://hls.harvard.edu/dept/academics/a ... r-2015-16/

If you come in early August, you can hang out with all the 2Ls who will be busy going crazy about EIP. (Not really. You won't be able to find them.)

Incoming 1Ls usually move to Cambridge on August 26. I'd advise staying closer to the 26th than the 2nd since you'll meet so many people that week, but some people won't be there until later.

Thanks, super helpful! I'll definitely be there by the 26th, was just worried that HLS expected us there earlier than the move in date.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Sun May 03, 2015 7:01 pm

foxes wrote: Thanks, super helpful! I'll definitely be there by the 26th, was just worried that HLS expected us there earlier than the move in date.

Ah. Nope. They make the move-in date the 26th specifically to discourage 1Ls from coming earlier.

wonka

Post removed.

Postby wonka » Mon May 04, 2015 11:34 am

Post removed.
Last edited by wonka on Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HorseThief

Postby HorseThief » Mon May 04, 2015 11:56 am

mwonka wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
foxes wrote: Thanks, super helpful! I'll definitely be there by the 26th, was just worried that HLS expected us there earlier than the move in date.

Ah. Nope. They make the move-in date the 26th specifically to discourage 1Ls from coming earlier.

Can you talk about what Orientation is like? Is it time or work intensive?

Apparently mandatory meetings start 9AM on the 27th and continue until class starts...seems like they're cutting it close with the move-in.

Orientation is not intense at all. The meetings are 'mandatory,' and I would go to those that are lead by your professors. You'll have a lot of extra time, though, and there are many optional events like museum visits.

wonka

Post removed.

Postby wonka » Mon May 04, 2015 12:31 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by wonka on Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Mon May 04, 2015 12:45 pm

Ha. No. Orientation is easy.

You won't have anything to be stressed about until December.

nickhalden

Postby nickhalden » Mon May 04, 2015 1:35 pm

I'm planning on targeting a smaller market. Is there anyway to see the EIP list from this or previous years to see who attends from that market?

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Mon May 04, 2015 3:54 pm

nickhalden wrote:I'm planning on targeting a smaller market. Is there anyway to see the EIP list from this or previous years to see who attends from that market?

Try your credentials here: https://law-harvard-csm.symplicity.com/ ... lversion=1

If they work check the "who worked where" docs. If not send me a PM.

PotenC

Postby PotenC » Mon May 04, 2015 5:34 pm

Anyone have a perspective on how hard 4 bedroom housing is to get through HUH? (So any one of 14-16 Mellen St, 20-20a Prescott St, or Beckwith Circle)

wwwcol

Postby wwwcol » Mon May 04, 2015 6:05 pm

Pneumonia wrote:
nickhalden wrote:I'm planning on targeting a smaller market. Is there anyway to see the EIP list from this or previous years to see who attends from that market?

Try your credentials here: https://law-harvard-csm.symplicity.com/ ... lversion=1

I think nick's question was which firms attend EIP, not who works in smaller markets. The who worked where lists are both under and over inclusive in that regard, and I'm not sure there is a list available until bidding begins of which firms are coming to EIP. Howver, if it's a smaller market and you know the relevant firms, check out their websites - many firms will list which schools they intervies at (and it rarely changes from year to year).

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Mon May 04, 2015 6:10 pm

wwwcol wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:

I think nick's question was which firms attend EIP, not who works in smaller markets. The who worked where lists are both under and over inclusive in that regard, and I'm not sure there is a list available until bidding begins of which firms are coming to EIP. Howver, if it's a smaller market and you know the relevant firms, check out their websites - many firms will list which schools they intervies at (and it rarely changes from year to year).

Yeah I realized that soon after I posted. I looked around CSM but didn't see an "EIP Attendees" list for prior years.

nickhalden

Postby nickhalden » Mon May 04, 2015 6:38 pm

wwwcol wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:

Great, thank you!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”