Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2739
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby TripTrip » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:38 am

Nonconsecutive wrote:Does anyone know how they determine the size of a class? I was looking at Dope and one of the classes I wanted to get into decreased in size by nearly 50 spots (which subsequently messed up my referencing masta-plan and now I'm waitlisted for it).

Which class is it?

The preference data is a bit of a double-edged sword. It's a self-fulfilling prophesy in that if Dope says to rank it high, a lot of other people will probably rank it high. (And vice versa if low.) However, I have a hunch that the Registrar determines what size classroom a class is assigned to in part based on the interest in it, which would mean if everyone ranks something low thinking they'll be able to get in the Registrar might misinterpret this information and assign it to a smaller classroom. I don't know how to fix this without fundamentally changing the way the course registration process works. (Though I'm sure students would love this.)

The big-picture part of this is that the classes everyone wants (that they preferenced higher) will be able to accommodate more students, but in individual cases like yours this isn't much consolation.

User avatar
Nonconsecutive
Posts: 2241
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Nonconsecutive » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:00 pm

TripTrip wrote:
Nonconsecutive wrote:Does anyone know how they determine the size of a class? I was looking at Dope and one of the classes I wanted to get into decreased in size by nearly 50 spots (which subsequently messed up my referencing masta-plan and now I'm waitlisted for it).

Which class is it?

The preference data is a bit of a double-edged sword. It's a self-fulfilling prophesy in that if Dope says to rank it high, a lot of other people will probably rank it high. (And vice versa if low.) However, I have a hunch that the Registrar determines what size classroom a class is assigned to in part based on the interest in it, which would mean if everyone ranks something low thinking they'll be able to get in the Registrar might misinterpret this information and assign it to a smaller classroom. I don't know how to fix this without fundamentally changing the way the course registration process works. (Though I'm sure students would love this.)

The big-picture part of this is that the classes everyone wants (that they preferenced higher) will be able to accommodate more students, but in individual cases like yours this isn't much consolation.


Oh I wasn't "blaming" Dope at all, I get that a lot of it is registrar JuJu. The class was Environmental Law. I had it preferenced third, and when the course size was so much smaller than in previous years I was surprised. But everything you're saying makes sense.

User avatar
Searchparty
Posts: 193
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:22 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Searchparty » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:04 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:Does anyone know how they determine the size of a class? I was looking at Dope and one of the classes I wanted to get into decreased in size by nearly 50 spots (which subsequently messed up my referencing masta-plan and now I'm waitlisted for it).


"Our general guidelines for capacities are as follows: reading groups are capped at 12 students, seminars are capped at 22 students, and courses can range from 24 to 125 students. It is important to note that seats in each class are divided up between programs (i.e. JDs, LLMs, 1Ls, transfers, etc.). Our office continually reviews enrollments and waitlists so if another program’s waitlist clears and seats are available, we will reallocate."

From the registrar--basically what Trip says.

User avatar
polareagle
Posts: 173
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby polareagle » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:45 pm

polareagle wrote:
yomisterd wrote:why doesn't hls ever do a law revue video?


There actually is going to be at least one this year from HLS, though not from our law revue (Parody), which focuses on its live show.


The aforementioned video is now live!
Why study when you could watch (and more importantly vote)?
Vote Harvard!
http://abovethelaw.com/2015/04/law-revue-video-contest-2015-the-finalists/

despina
Posts: 477
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:09 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby despina » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:48 pm

polareagle wrote:
polareagle wrote:
yomisterd wrote:why doesn't hls ever do a law revue video?


There actually is going to be at least one this year from HLS, though not from our law revue (Parody), which focuses on its live show.


The aforementioned video is now live!
Why study when you could watch (and more importantly vote)?
Vote Harvard!
http://abovethelaw.com/2015/04/law-revue-video-contest-2015-the-finalists/


Horay! Gotta click through to the second page to actually vote: http://abovethelaw.com/2015/04/law-revu ... nalists/2/

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2739
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby TripTrip » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:22 pm

Searchparty wrote:
Nonconsecutive wrote:Does anyone know how they determine the size of a class? I was looking at Dope and one of the classes I wanted to get into decreased in size by nearly 50 spots (which subsequently messed up my referencing masta-plan and now I'm waitlisted for it).


"Our general guidelines for capacities are as follows: reading groups are capped at 12 students, seminars are capped at 22 students, and courses can range from 24 to 125 students. It is important to note that seats in each class are divided up between programs (i.e. JDs, LLMs, 1Ls, transfers, etc.). Our office continually reviews enrollments and waitlists so if another program’s waitlist clears and seats are available, we will reallocate."

From the registrar--basically what Trip says.

I should stop guessing and just read the policies, huh?

User avatar
Searchparty
Posts: 193
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:22 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Searchparty » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:20 pm

TripTrip wrote:
Searchparty wrote:
Nonconsecutive wrote:Does anyone know how they determine the size of a class? I was looking at Dope and one of the classes I wanted to get into decreased in size by nearly 50 spots (which subsequently messed up my referencing masta-plan and now I'm waitlisted for it).


"Our general guidelines for capacities are as follows: reading groups are capped at 12 students, seminars are capped at 22 students, and courses can range from 24 to 125 students. It is important to note that seats in each class are divided up between programs (i.e. JDs, LLMs, 1Ls, transfers, etc.). Our office continually reviews enrollments and waitlists so if another program’s waitlist clears and seats are available, we will reallocate."

From the registrar--basically what Trip says.

I should stop guessing and just read the policies, huh?


OH! Nono, I didn't find that online, that was an email response from them hah.

User avatar
foxes
Posts: 179
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:52 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby foxes » Fri May 01, 2015 2:54 pm

Hi, I'm an incoming 1L and wanted to ask what some current students think about the new CORe program HLS is making available to us. It's a collaboration with HBS and is an 11 week online course that covers "business analytics, economics for managers, and financial accounting" http://hbx.hbs.edu/hbx-core/core-curriculum.html HLS is subsidizing it so we'd only have to pay $250 out of pocket, but it's a huge time commitment, apparently min. 12-15 hours a week, and some of the current Core students have posted that they're finding it difficult to make time for trips or get away from the course for a significant period of time. It's also graded, requires course participation, and has a 3 hour final exam attached to it.

I'm a bit torn about taking the course. On the one hand, it seems like it might be useful so I kind of feel obligated to take it. On the other hand, it's a huge time commitment, I won't be able to take the vacation I've been dying to take before HLS in the fall, and it's a lot of hard work just at the moment when I want to chill out and enjoy my summer before school starts.

Can any current HLS students chime in? Have you heard anything about CORe? Does it sound useful or can I safely avoid it and enjoy my summer? Thanks in advance for any replies!

User avatar
malleus discentium
Posts: 878
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 2:30 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby malleus discentium » Fri May 01, 2015 3:20 pm

foxes wrote:Hi, I'm an incoming 1L and wanted to ask what some current students think about the new CORe program HLS is making available to us. It's a collaboration with HBS and is an 11 week online course that covers "business analytics, economics for managers, and financial accounting" http://hbx.hbs.edu/hbx-core/core-curriculum.html HLS is subsidizing it so we'd only have to pay $250 out of pocket, but it's a huge time commitment, apparently min. 12-15 hours a week, and some of the current Core students have posted that they're finding it difficult to make time for trips or get away from the course for a significant period of time. It's also graded, requires course participation, and has a 3 hour final exam attached to it.

I'm a bit torn about taking the course. On the one hand, it seems like it might be useful so I kind of feel obligated to take it. On the other hand, it's a huge time commitment, I won't be able to take the vacation I've been dying to take before HLS in the fall, and it's a lot of hard work just at the moment when I want to chill out and enjoy my summer before school starts.

Can any current HLS students chime in? Have you heard anything about CORe? Does it sound useful or can I safely avoid it and enjoy my summer? Thanks in advance for any replies!

I suspect that the content is substantially replicated in analytic methods or business strategies for lawyers, both classes you get credit for taking. I wouldn't spend $250 and my summer doing it.

User avatar
MyNameIsFlynn!
Posts: 785
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:29 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Fri May 01, 2015 3:25 pm

malleus discentium wrote:
foxes wrote:Hi, I'm an incoming 1L and wanted to ask what some current students think about the new CORe program HLS is making available to us. It's a collaboration with HBS and is an 11 week online course that covers "business analytics, economics for managers, and financial accounting" http://hbx.hbs.edu/hbx-core/core-curriculum.html HLS is subsidizing it so we'd only have to pay $250 out of pocket, but it's a huge time commitment, apparently min. 12-15 hours a week, and some of the current Core students have posted that they're finding it difficult to make time for trips or get away from the course for a significant period of time. It's also graded, requires course participation, and has a 3 hour final exam attached to it.

I'm a bit torn about taking the course. On the one hand, it seems like it might be useful so I kind of feel obligated to take it. On the other hand, it's a huge time commitment, I won't be able to take the vacation I've been dying to take before HLS in the fall, and it's a lot of hard work just at the moment when I want to chill out and enjoy my summer before school starts.

Can any current HLS students chime in? Have you heard anything about CORe? Does it sound useful or can I safely avoid it and enjoy my summer? Thanks in advance for any replies!

I suspect that the content is substantially replicated in analytic methods or business strategies for lawyers, both classes you get credit for taking. I wouldn't spend $250 and my summer doing it.


+1

Indifference
Posts: 535
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:01 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Indifference » Fri May 01, 2015 4:16 pm

So also looking at the core option, but I've been on vacation since January when I finished Uni. No work, just relaxing. With that in mind, would this be a mistake going into the fall? Should I just continue to enjoy my time off, or does anyone see this having any benefits?

ETA, looking PI not firms for summers and employment but who knows if that will work out.

User avatar
Pneumonia
Posts: 1642
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Pneumonia » Fri May 01, 2015 4:37 pm

If you want to do it because you're bored and it sounds interesting to you, it would (arguably) not be a mistake. If rather you want to do it because you think it will help you or because you think you should do it (or any other striver reasons), then it would be a mistake.

ETA: if you cannot distinguish between these two things, start learning now. It's hard to think of a single ability more critical to your flourishing in law school. This applies to everyone.

nickhalden
Posts: 484
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:31 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby nickhalden » Fri May 01, 2015 4:49 pm

Do any current students have access to the presently available HLS Housing rooms (before incoming 1Ls select next week)? I would love to see what options are left after current students have selected. Thank you!

Indifference
Posts: 535
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:01 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Indifference » Fri May 01, 2015 4:51 pm

Pneumonia wrote:If you want to do it because you're bored and it sounds interesting to you, it would (arguably) not be a mistake. If rather you want to do it because you think it will help you or because you think you should do it (or any other striver reasons), then it would be a mistake.

ETA: if you cannot distinguish between these two things, start learning now. It's hard to think of a single ability more critical to your flourishing in law school. This applies to everyone.


Thanks for this. Will determine if my boredom is passing or needs sating and decide on core accordingly :).

User avatar
blueberrycrumble
Posts: 363
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:07 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby blueberrycrumble » Fri May 01, 2015 4:58 pm

nickhalden wrote:Do any current students have access to the presently available HLS Housing rooms (before incoming 1Ls select next week)? I would love to see what options are left after current students have selected. Thank you!


I thought that they set aside 250 rooms (a variety of different ones) for incoming 1Ls? i.e. the room pools are separate

On that note though, do current students have some insight on what type of rooms go the fastest? My room selection window is near the end so....

nickhalden
Posts: 484
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:31 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby nickhalden » Fri May 01, 2015 5:06 pm

blueberrycrumble wrote:
nickhalden wrote:Do any current students have access to the presently available HLS Housing rooms (before incoming 1Ls select next week)? I would love to see what options are left after current students have selected. Thank you!


I thought that they set aside 250 rooms (a variety of different ones) for incoming 1Ls? i.e. the room pools are separate

On that note though, do current students have some insight on what type of rooms go the fastest? My room selection window is near the end so....


Oh really? I thought we got a pick of anything not picked yet - including a reserved 250 rooms for us. Nevermind then!

User avatar
malleus discentium
Posts: 878
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 2:30 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby malleus discentium » Fri May 01, 2015 6:53 pm

blueberrycrumble wrote:
nickhalden wrote:Do any current students have access to the presently available HLS Housing rooms (before incoming 1Ls select next week)? I would love to see what options are left after current students have selected. Thank you!


I thought that they set aside 250 rooms (a variety of different ones) for incoming 1Ls? i.e. the room pools are separate

On that note though, do current students have some insight on what type of rooms go the fastest? My room selection window is near the end so....

Yeah, and every dorm room available to current students is booked. North rooms go first. Between Gropius and Hastings I'm not sure.

User avatar
leslieknope
Posts: 1092
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:53 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby leslieknope » Fri May 01, 2015 8:10 pm

So what are the odds of getting a room May 7th if you didn't get a housing window from the lottery? I want Gropius type 1, so I'd been assuming I'd be safe, but if they set aside 250 spots for 250 students then it seems like it'll be harder than I thought.

User avatar
romanesque
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:45 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby romanesque » Sat May 02, 2015 9:39 am

Apologise if this has already been asked but can't find it. Any thoughts on getting research assistant gigs? Does that happen as a 1L and how? Also, is it weird to get in touch with profs over the summer? I'm taking the summer off to mentally prepare, but would have time and interest in a project if that's a thing that people do.

robotrick
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:53 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby robotrick » Sat May 02, 2015 9:51 am

romanesque wrote:Apologise if this has already been asked but can't find it. Any thoughts on getting research assistant gigs? Does that happen as a 1L and how? Also, is it weird to get in touch with profs over the summer? I'm taking the summer off to mentally prepare, but would have time and interest in a project if that's a thing that people do.

Last year there was a list somewhere on the admitted students site (I think) of professors who were looking for 0Ls to help with research.

You can certainly be an RA during 1L year or 1L summer. My impression is that most research jobs are gotten by approaching professors and asking about their work and whether they could use any help, but sometimes there are public announcements looking for RAs.

User avatar
whosinthehousejc
Posts: 228
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:54 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby whosinthehousejc » Sat May 02, 2015 1:59 pm

Current HLS-ers, what dorm/room configuration would you select as a 1L if you had the first room selection window, wanted to maximize interaction w/ other students yet also maintain some semblance of privacy/comfort? Cost isn't really an object, it's all coming out of loans anyway...

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2739
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby TripTrip » Sat May 02, 2015 2:47 pm

whosinthehousejc wrote:Current HLS-ers, what dorm/room configuration would you select as a 1L if you had the first room selection window, wanted to maximize interaction w/ other students yet also maintain some semblance of privacy/comfort? Cost isn't really an object, it's all coming out of loans anyway...

Type 6 all the way.

Don't dabble with Hastings. Just get the most luxurious Gropius room. My type 5 had more square footage than my bedroom in this apartment.

User avatar
malleus discentium
Posts: 878
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 2:30 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby malleus discentium » Sat May 02, 2015 3:19 pm

whosinthehousejc wrote:Current HLS-ers, what dorm/room configuration would you select as a 1L if you had the first room selection window, wanted to maximize interaction w/ other students yet also maintain some semblance of privacy/comfort? Cost isn't really an object, it's all coming out of loans anyway...

This will depend on what kind of interaction you're interested in. I know many people in Gropius hang out with people on their floor a lot. That's not the kind of interaction I prefer--I socialized mostly with people from my section. If this kind of undergrad-style socializing is what you want, Gropius is the place to be. Having a bigger room will make things more comfortable, I suppose, but in my experience the real downside to Gropius is the lack of a bathroom, and even the biggest Gropius room won't solve that.
Also, "it's all coming out of loans anyway" doesn't mean "cost isn't an object" :P

Con Consigliere
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:54 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Con Consigliere » Sat May 02, 2015 6:28 pm

leslieknope wrote:So what are the odds of getting a room May 7th if you didn't get a housing window from the lottery? I want Gropius type 1, so I'd been assuming I'd be safe, but if they set aside 250 spots for 250 students then it seems like it'll be harder than I thought.


In the same boat, anyone remember?

User avatar
Pneumonia
Posts: 1642
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Pneumonia » Sat May 02, 2015 7:06 pm

Serious Q: do people cheat on takehomes? I haven't experienced it, but I have pretty good reasons to suspect it.

Eta: I also don't care at all; people should do what works for them. Just curious.
Last edited by Pneumonia on Sat May 02, 2015 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests