Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
pupshaw

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby pupshaw » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:39 pm

lawlorbust wrote:14th with Feldman or Klarman?

I'm firmly of the belief that it's not worth wasting your #1 selection on what seems to be at best a coin-flip's chance at Klarman.

ChemEng1642

Postby ChemEng1642 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:55 pm

ChemEng1642 wrote:Anyone taken the cyber law clinic? Thoughts on that?

bump

lawlorbust

Postby lawlorbust » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:58 pm

pupshaw wrote:

I'm firmly of the belief that it's not worth wasting your #1 selection on what seems to be at best a coin-flip's chance at Klarman.

are you guaranteed feldman at #1?

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:01 pm

Before this goes live, can I get some volunteers to beta the dope course catalog? http://hlsdope.org/v2/course-catalog

Reply/PM/email with glaring issues you spot. Thanks kindly.

HorseThief

Postby HorseThief » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:39 pm

TripTrip wrote:Before this goes live, can I get some volunteers to beta the dope course catalog? http://hlsdope.org/v2/course-catalog

This is beautiful.

Searchparty

Postby Searchparty » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:01 pm

lawlorbust wrote:
pupshaw wrote:

are you guaranteed feldman at #1?

Put him #1 and got in off the waitlist... actually my memory seems to have served me incorrectly. According to my confirmation of bids email I actually preferenced him #2, with Klarman at #1 (and no did not ever get off the waitlist).

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:13 pm

HorseThief wrote:
TripTrip wrote:Before this goes live, can I get some volunteers to beta the dope course catalog? http://hlsdope.org/v2/course-catalog

This is beautiful.

+1

Clicked around in it for a bit and nothing broke.

MyNameIsFlynn!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:31 pm

pupshaw wrote:

Having pissed away my #1 bid on Klarman last year (260s on the waitlist), I strongly agree. IMO there are so many good options at 14A next year (Klarman, Feldman, and Minow) that it would be unwise to bid any of the 14As at #1. There are so many seats that I'd be surprised if people were not able to get Minow or Feldman at 2 or even 3. Given that a lot of popular multi sections have only one really good professor (e.g. Vermeule for admin, Fellon for fed courts), those are gonna be competitive and where I'd be spending my #1 bid (if I wanted one of those). Yay for game theory!

TripTrip wrote:Reply/PM/email with glaring issues you spot. Thanks kindly.

not an issue but a suggestion: what about including a semester option that shows both Fall and Spring courses? I like to see offerings for the whole year but get annoyed as hell that I have to view each semester individually on the course catalog.

yomisterd

Postby yomisterd » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:43 pm

So, so nice.

lawlorbust

Postby lawlorbust » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:54 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
pupshaw wrote:

Having pissed away my #1 bid on Klarman last year (260s on the waitlist), I strongly agree. IMO there are so many good options at 14A next year (Klarman, Feldman, and Minow) that it would be unwise to bid any of the 14As at #1. There are so many seats that I'd be surprised if people were not able to get Minow or Feldman at 2 or even 3. Given that a lot of popular multi sections have only one really good professor (e.g. Vermeule for admin, Fellon for fed courts), those are gonna be competitive and where I'd be spending my #1 bid (if I wanted one of those). Yay for game theory!

yeah, makes sense. thanks. continuing the game theory, any thoughts on whether one should avoid vermeule/fallon because of a HLR/other gunner killer curve?

heythatslife

Postby heythatslife » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:56 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
pupshaw wrote:

not an issue but a suggestion: what about including a semester option that shows both Fall and Spring courses? I like to see offerings for the whole year but get annoyed as hell that I have to view each semester individually on the course catalog.

hlsdope turned up a Spring 2016 admin law course taught by Rakoff, which is not listed by the official course catalog but the page for it exists. Weird.
http://hls.harvard.edu/academics/curric ... ml?o=67864
I don't know what the deal is but Rakoff was a solid teacher last semester so I wouldn't mind having him as an option in addition to Vermeule.

yomisterd

Postby yomisterd » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:04 pm

heythatslife wrote:
MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
pupshaw wrote:

hlsdope turned up a Spring 2016 admin law course taught by Rakoff, which is not listed by the official course catalog but the page for it exists. Weird.
I don't know what the deal is but Rakoff was a solid teacher last semester so I wouldn't mind having him as an option in addition to Vermeule.

I'm so confused because it is not listed in the regular course catalog.

MyNameIsFlynn!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:21 pm

That's really weird. I assume one of you people, or someone who reads this thread, will email the registrar tomorrow for clarification. If multi section starts tomorrow adminstration should probably clarify whether the class actually exists and if it does, what timeslot. If Rakoff was teaching, that would def be a solid option as he's a good prof.

nothingtosee

Postby nothingtosee » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:44 pm

Does it matter whether you put your list in tomorrow versus Wednesday?
Also, looking for one easy H class - any tips?

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:52 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:not an issue but a suggestion: what about including a semester option that shows both Fall and Spring courses? I like to see offerings for the whole year but get annoyed as hell that I have to view each semester individually on the course catalog.

That shouldn't be too hard. I'll see what I can do.

yomisterd wrote:
heythatslife wrote:hlsdope turned up a Spring 2016 admin law course taught by Rakoff, which is not listed by the official course catalog but the page for it exists. Weird.

There are a lot of offerings the HLS Dope server finds (and filters, if they're obviously not ones you can sign up for in the traditional sense) that aren't listed in the official course catalog. The Rakoff one could be a course that he is going to teach but hasn't yet finalized with the Registrar. (No promises though.)

If he does teach it, it will almost certainly be offered W, Th, F 8:40am - 9:40am. (That's what it was last both spring and the spring before that.)

nothingtosee wrote:Does it matter whether you put your list in tomorrow versus Wednesday?
No, the day you preference doesn't matter.

As for easy H, you can try http://hlsdope.org/v2/course-catalog (ctrl+F "Easy H") Worth a shot, even if it's still being updated.

nothingtosee

Postby nothingtosee » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:57 pm

TripTrip wrote:
MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:not an issue but a suggestion: what about including a semester option that shows both Fall and Spring courses? I like to see offerings for the whole year but get annoyed as hell that I have to view each semester individually on the course catalog.

yomisterd wrote:
heythatslife wrote:hlsdope turned up a Spring 2016 admin law course taught by Rakoff, which is not listed by the official course catalog but the page for it exists. Weird.

There are a lot of offerings the HLS Dope server finds (and filters, if they're obviously not ones you can sign up for in the traditional sense) that aren't listed in the official course catalog. The Rakoff one could be a course that he is going to teach but hasn't yet finalized with the Registrar. (No promises though.)

If he does teach it, it will almost certainly be offered W, Th, F 8:40am - 9:40am. (That's what it was last both spring and the spring before that.)

nothingtosee wrote:Does it matter whether you put your list in tomorrow versus Wednesday?
No, the day you preference doesn't matter.

As for easy H, you can try http://hlsdope.org/v2/course-catalog (ctrl+F "Easy H") Worth a shot, even if it's still being updated.

That website is fantastic. And works on mobile too!

You are a benefactor to Harvard Law School

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:08 pm

nothingtosee wrote:That website is fantastic. And works on mobile too!

You are a benefactor to Harvard Law School

Appreciate it!

Glad to hear it works on mobile. I have to imagine the course catalog is not looking so great on a cell phone though. Every other page was designed to transition flawlessly between desktop and mobile, but on the course catalog pages there just so much information.

TripTrip wrote:

Updated the term search dropdown. Give it a try.

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:30 pm

TripTrip wrote:Updated the term search dropdown. Give it a try.

Working fine on this end.

hlsperson1111

Postby hlsperson1111 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:56 pm

I'm pretty sure that Vermeule is headed to YLS. Also, more generally, taking the hottest admin class is probably the most sure-fire way to get a P I can imagine. (This admonition applies with particular force to Stephenson's class, but if Vermuele were the only good admin professor in a given year I'm sure it would apply to him too).

Vursz

Postby Vursz » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:00 am

hlsperson1111 wrote:I'm pretty sure that Vermeule is headed to YLS. Also, more generally, taking the hottest admin class is probably the most sure-fire way to get a P I can imagine. (This admonition applies with particular force to Stephenson's class, but if Vermuele were the only good admin professor in a given year I'm sure it would apply to him too).

YLS student here. Is this for real about Vermeule? Someone actually sent out an April Fool's Day joke last week about him being hired away from HLS...

hlsperson1111

Postby hlsperson1111 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:25 am

I heard this from 2 friends at YLS, but it's entirely possible they just got pranked.

heythatslife

Postby heythatslife » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:41 am

No, Vermeule is staying. If it were the case, I'm pretty sure he'd have said something about leaving when a friend of mine asked him last weekend about taking his course in the spring. I was present at that conversation.

codyoneill

Postby codyoneill » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:49 am

hlsperson1111 wrote:I'm pretty sure that Vermeule is headed to YLS. Also, more generally, taking the hottest admin class is probably the most sure-fire way to get a P I can imagine. (This admonition applies with particular force to Stephenson's class, but if Vermuele were the only good admin professor in a given year I'm sure it would apply to him too).

Why would this necessarily be the case?
Don't most people take admin law and most people prefer a professor who teaches it well?

I just don't understand how gunners would be more likely to get into classes with better profs when everybody wants those classes.

hlsperson1111

Postby hlsperson1111 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:50 am

codyoneill wrote:

Why would this necessarily be the case?
Don't most people take admin law and most people prefer a professor who teaches it well?

I just don't understand how gunners would be more likely to get into classes with better profs when everybody wants those classes.

Just speaking from experience, my admin class (Stephenson in Fall 2011) had 35 people from HLR in it and probably two dozen people not in that group who ended up clerking. I expect that the curve was brutal.

lashley

Postby lashley » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:37 am

Could someone comment on the safety of the area around the law school, especially for walking home at night? Any areas to avoid?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”