Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
pupshaw
Posts: 504
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:08 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby pupshaw » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:39 pm

lawlorbust wrote:14th with Feldman or Klarman?


I'm firmly of the belief that it's not worth wasting your #1 selection on what seems to be at best a coin-flip's chance at Klarman.

User avatar
ChemEng1642
Posts: 1239
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:26 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby ChemEng1642 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:55 pm

ChemEng1642 wrote:Anyone taken the cyber law clinic? Thoughts on that?


bump

lawlorbust
Posts: 265
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:50 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby lawlorbust » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:58 pm

pupshaw wrote:
lawlorbust wrote:14th with Feldman or Klarman?


I'm firmly of the belief that it's not worth wasting your #1 selection on what seems to be at best a coin-flip's chance at Klarman.


are you guaranteed feldman at #1?

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2739
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby TripTrip » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:01 pm

Before this goes live, can I get some volunteers to beta the dope course catalog? http://hlsdope.org/v2/course-catalog

Reply/PM/email with glaring issues you spot. Thanks kindly.

User avatar
HorseThief
Posts: 713
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:45 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby HorseThief » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:39 pm

TripTrip wrote:Before this goes live, can I get some volunteers to beta the dope course catalog? http://hlsdope.org/v2/course-catalog

Reply/PM/email with glaring issues you spot. Thanks kindly.


This is beautiful.

User avatar
Searchparty
Posts: 193
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:22 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Searchparty » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:01 pm

lawlorbust wrote:
pupshaw wrote:
lawlorbust wrote:14th with Feldman or Klarman?


I'm firmly of the belief that it's not worth wasting your #1 selection on what seems to be at best a coin-flip's chance at Klarman.


are you guaranteed feldman at #1?


Put him #1 and got in off the waitlist... actually my memory seems to have served me incorrectly. According to my confirmation of bids email I actually preferenced him #2, with Klarman at #1 (and no did not ever get off the waitlist).

User avatar
Nonconsecutive
Posts: 2247
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Nonconsecutive » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:13 pm

HorseThief wrote:
TripTrip wrote:Before this goes live, can I get some volunteers to beta the dope course catalog? http://hlsdope.org/v2/course-catalog

Reply/PM/email with glaring issues you spot. Thanks kindly.


This is beautiful.


+1

Clicked around in it for a bit and nothing broke.

User avatar
MyNameIsFlynn!
Posts: 785
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:29 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:31 pm

pupshaw wrote:
lawlorbust wrote:14th with Feldman or Klarman?


I'm firmly of the belief that it's not worth wasting your #1 selection on what seems to be at best a coin-flip's chance at Klarman.


Having pissed away my #1 bid on Klarman last year (260s on the waitlist), I strongly agree. IMO there are so many good options at 14A next year (Klarman, Feldman, and Minow) that it would be unwise to bid any of the 14As at #1. There are so many seats that I'd be surprised if people were not able to get Minow or Feldman at 2 or even 3. Given that a lot of popular multi sections have only one really good professor (e.g. Vermeule for admin, Fellon for fed courts), those are gonna be competitive and where I'd be spending my #1 bid (if I wanted one of those). Yay for game theory!

TripTrip wrote:Reply/PM/email with glaring issues you spot. Thanks kindly.


not an issue but a suggestion: what about including a semester option that shows both Fall and Spring courses? I like to see offerings for the whole year but get annoyed as hell that I have to view each semester individually on the course catalog.

User avatar
yomisterd
Posts: 1556
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:52 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby yomisterd » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:43 pm

TripTrip wrote:Before this goes live, can I get some volunteers to beta the dope course catalog? http://hlsdope.org/v2/course-catalog

Reply/PM/email with glaring issues you spot. Thanks kindly.


So, so nice.

lawlorbust
Posts: 265
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:50 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby lawlorbust » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:54 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
pupshaw wrote:
lawlorbust wrote:14th with Feldman or Klarman?


I'm firmly of the belief that it's not worth wasting your #1 selection on what seems to be at best a coin-flip's chance at Klarman.


Having pissed away my #1 bid on Klarman last year (260s on the waitlist), I strongly agree. IMO there are so many good options at 14A next year (Klarman, Feldman, and Minow) that it would be unwise to bid any of the 14As at #1. There are so many seats that I'd be surprised if people were not able to get Minow or Feldman at 2 or even 3. Given that a lot of popular multi sections have only one really good professor (e.g. Vermeule for admin, Fellon for fed courts), those are gonna be competitive and where I'd be spending my #1 bid (if I wanted one of those). Yay for game theory!


yeah, makes sense. thanks. continuing the game theory, any thoughts on whether one should avoid vermeule/fallon because of a HLR/other gunner killer curve?

User avatar
heythatslife
Posts: 897
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:18 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby heythatslife » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:56 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
pupshaw wrote:
lawlorbust wrote:14th with Feldman or Klarman?


I'm firmly of the belief that it's not worth wasting your #1 selection on what seems to be at best a coin-flip's chance at Klarman.


Having pissed away my #1 bid on Klarman last year (260s on the waitlist), I strongly agree. IMO there are so many good options at 14A next year (Klarman, Feldman, and Minow) that it would be unwise to bid any of the 14As at #1. There are so many seats that I'd be surprised if people were not able to get Minow or Feldman at 2 or even 3. Given that a lot of popular multi sections have only one really good professor (e.g. Vermeule for admin, Fellon for fed courts), those are gonna be competitive and where I'd be spending my #1 bid (if I wanted one of those). Yay for game theory!

TripTrip wrote:Reply/PM/email with glaring issues you spot. Thanks kindly.


not an issue but a suggestion: what about including a semester option that shows both Fall and Spring courses? I like to see offerings for the whole year but get annoyed as hell that I have to view each semester individually on the course catalog.

hlsdope turned up a Spring 2016 admin law course taught by Rakoff, which is not listed by the official course catalog but the page for it exists. Weird.
http://hls.harvard.edu/academics/curric ... ml?o=67864
I don't know what the deal is but Rakoff was a solid teacher last semester so I wouldn't mind having him as an option in addition to Vermeule.

User avatar
yomisterd
Posts: 1556
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:52 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby yomisterd » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:04 pm

heythatslife wrote:
MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
pupshaw wrote:
lawlorbust wrote:14th with Feldman or Klarman?


I'm firmly of the belief that it's not worth wasting your #1 selection on what seems to be at best a coin-flip's chance at Klarman.


Having pissed away my #1 bid on Klarman last year (260s on the waitlist), I strongly agree. IMO there are so many good options at 14A next year (Klarman, Feldman, and Minow) that it would be unwise to bid any of the 14As at #1. There are so many seats that I'd be surprised if people were not able to get Minow or Feldman at 2 or even 3. Given that a lot of popular multi sections have only one really good professor (e.g. Vermeule for admin, Fellon for fed courts), those are gonna be competitive and where I'd be spending my #1 bid (if I wanted one of those). Yay for game theory!

TripTrip wrote:Reply/PM/email with glaring issues you spot. Thanks kindly.


not an issue but a suggestion: what about including a semester option that shows both Fall and Spring courses? I like to see offerings for the whole year but get annoyed as hell that I have to view each semester individually on the course catalog.

hlsdope turned up a Spring 2016 admin law course taught by Rakoff, which is not listed by the official course catalog but the page for it exists. Weird.
http://hls.harvard.edu/academics/curric ... ml?o=67864
I don't know what the deal is but Rakoff was a solid teacher last semester so I wouldn't mind having him as an option in addition to Vermeule.


I'm so confused because it is not listed in the regular course catalog.

User avatar
MyNameIsFlynn!
Posts: 785
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:29 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:21 pm

That's really weird. I assume one of you people, or someone who reads this thread, will email the registrar tomorrow for clarification. If multi section starts tomorrow adminstration should probably clarify whether the class actually exists and if it does, what timeslot. If Rakoff was teaching, that would def be a solid option as he's a good prof.

User avatar
nothingtosee
Posts: 865
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 12:08 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby nothingtosee » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:44 pm

Does it matter whether you put your list in tomorrow versus Wednesday?
Also, looking for one easy H class - any tips?

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2739
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby TripTrip » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:52 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:not an issue but a suggestion: what about including a semester option that shows both Fall and Spring courses? I like to see offerings for the whole year but get annoyed as hell that I have to view each semester individually on the course catalog.

That shouldn't be too hard. I'll see what I can do.

yomisterd wrote:
heythatslife wrote:hlsdope turned up a Spring 2016 admin law course taught by Rakoff, which is not listed by the official course catalog but the page for it exists. Weird.
http://hls.harvard.edu/academics/curric ... ml?o=67864
I don't know what the deal is but Rakoff was a solid teacher last semester so I wouldn't mind having him as an option in addition to Vermeule.


I'm so confused because it is not listed in the regular course catalog.

There are a lot of offerings the HLS Dope server finds (and filters, if they're obviously not ones you can sign up for in the traditional sense) that aren't listed in the official course catalog. The Rakoff one could be a course that he is going to teach but hasn't yet finalized with the Registrar. (No promises though.)

If he does teach it, it will almost certainly be offered W, Th, F 8:40am - 9:40am. (That's what it was last both spring and the spring before that.)

nothingtosee wrote:Does it matter whether you put your list in tomorrow versus Wednesday?
Also, looking for one easy H class - any tips?
No, the day you preference doesn't matter.

As for easy H, you can try http://hlsdope.org/v2/course-catalog (ctrl+F "Easy H") Worth a shot, even if it's still being updated.

User avatar
nothingtosee
Posts: 865
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 12:08 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby nothingtosee » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:57 pm

TripTrip wrote:
MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:not an issue but a suggestion: what about including a semester option that shows both Fall and Spring courses? I like to see offerings for the whole year but get annoyed as hell that I have to view each semester individually on the course catalog.

That shouldn't be too hard. I'll see what I can do.

yomisterd wrote:
heythatslife wrote:hlsdope turned up a Spring 2016 admin law course taught by Rakoff, which is not listed by the official course catalog but the page for it exists. Weird.
http://hls.harvard.edu/academics/curric ... ml?o=67864
I don't know what the deal is but Rakoff was a solid teacher last semester so I wouldn't mind having him as an option in addition to Vermeule.


I'm so confused because it is not listed in the regular course catalog.

There are a lot of offerings the HLS Dope server finds (and filters, if they're obviously not ones you can sign up for in the traditional sense) that aren't listed in the official course catalog. The Rakoff one could be a course that he is going to teach but hasn't yet finalized with the Registrar. (No promises though.)

If he does teach it, it will almost certainly be offered W, Th, F 8:40am - 9:40am. (That's what it was last both spring and the spring before that.)

nothingtosee wrote:Does it matter whether you put your list in tomorrow versus Wednesday?
Also, looking for one easy H class - any tips?
No, the day you preference doesn't matter.

As for easy H, you can try http://hlsdope.org/v2/course-catalog (ctrl+F "Easy H") Worth a shot, even if it's still being updated.


That website is fantastic. And works on mobile too!

You are a benefactor to Harvard Law School

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2739
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby TripTrip » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:08 pm

nothingtosee wrote:That website is fantastic. And works on mobile too!

You are a benefactor to Harvard Law School

Appreciate it!

Glad to hear it works on mobile. I have to imagine the course catalog is not looking so great on a cell phone though. Every other page was designed to transition flawlessly between desktop and mobile, but on the course catalog pages there just so much information.


TripTrip wrote:
MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:not an issue but a suggestion: what about including a semester option that shows both Fall and Spring courses? I like to see offerings for the whole year but get annoyed as hell that I have to view each semester individually on the course catalog.

That shouldn't be too hard. I'll see what I can do.

Updated the term search dropdown. Give it a try.

User avatar
Nonconsecutive
Posts: 2247
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Nonconsecutive » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:30 pm

TripTrip wrote:Updated the term search dropdown. Give it a try.


Working fine on this end.

hlsperson1111
Posts: 239
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:10 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby hlsperson1111 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:56 pm

I'm pretty sure that Vermeule is headed to YLS. Also, more generally, taking the hottest admin class is probably the most sure-fire way to get a P I can imagine. (This admonition applies with particular force to Stephenson's class, but if Vermuele were the only good admin professor in a given year I'm sure it would apply to him too).

User avatar
Vursz
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:31 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Vursz » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:00 am

hlsperson1111 wrote:I'm pretty sure that Vermeule is headed to YLS. Also, more generally, taking the hottest admin class is probably the most sure-fire way to get a P I can imagine. (This admonition applies with particular force to Stephenson's class, but if Vermuele were the only good admin professor in a given year I'm sure it would apply to him too).


YLS student here. Is this for real about Vermeule? Someone actually sent out an April Fool's Day joke last week about him being hired away from HLS...

hlsperson1111
Posts: 239
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:10 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby hlsperson1111 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:25 am

I heard this from 2 friends at YLS, but it's entirely possible they just got pranked.

User avatar
heythatslife
Posts: 897
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:18 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby heythatslife » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:41 am

No, Vermeule is staying. If it were the case, I'm pretty sure he'd have said something about leaving when a friend of mine asked him last weekend about taking his course in the spring. I was present at that conversation.

User avatar
codyoneill
Posts: 166
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:31 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby codyoneill » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:49 am

hlsperson1111 wrote:I'm pretty sure that Vermeule is headed to YLS. Also, more generally, taking the hottest admin class is probably the most sure-fire way to get a P I can imagine. (This admonition applies with particular force to Stephenson's class, but if Vermuele were the only good admin professor in a given year I'm sure it would apply to him too).


Why would this necessarily be the case?
Don't most people take admin law and most people prefer a professor who teaches it well?

I just don't understand how gunners would be more likely to get into classes with better profs when everybody wants those classes.

hlsperson1111
Posts: 239
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:10 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby hlsperson1111 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:50 am

codyoneill wrote:
hlsperson1111 wrote:I'm pretty sure that Vermeule is headed to YLS. Also, more generally, taking the hottest admin class is probably the most sure-fire way to get a P I can imagine. (This admonition applies with particular force to Stephenson's class, but if Vermuele were the only good admin professor in a given year I'm sure it would apply to him too).


Why would this necessarily be the case?
Don't most people take admin law and most people prefer a professor who teaches it well?

I just don't understand how gunners would be more likely to get into classes with better profs when everybody wants those classes.


Just speaking from experience, my admin class (Stephenson in Fall 2011) had 35 people from HLR in it and probably two dozen people not in that group who ended up clerking. I expect that the curve was brutal.

User avatar
lashley
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:04 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby lashley » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:37 am

Could someone comment on the safety of the area around the law school, especially for walking home at night? Any areas to avoid?




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: RareExports, twister93 and 2 guests