Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
tomwatts

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby tomwatts » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:14 am

flyingboy wrote:Any advice/opinion about 1L summer internship at the state supreme court level (one of the New England states)?

This is a pretty vague question, so I'm going to give some pretty general thoughts.

1. State law is super interesting and pretty different from federal law. Your core 1L classes — torts, contracts, property — are state law, and a lot of other basic life necessities (education, family, etc.) are governed by state law, too. States have their own constitutions, which tend to say a lot more than the federal constitution and tend to be more up-to-date. Getting a good handle on state law is a good thing generally, though it may be more or less relevant depending on what you end up wanting to do post-graduation.

2. Check OCS's CSM in the clerkships section to see if you can figure out anything about the judge/court you'll be working for. If you'll be assigned a specific judge, who the judge is and how the judge handles clerks is more important than pretty much anything else.

3. They have to be able to pay you.

4. It's probably more beneficial if you intend to work in that state than if you intend to work somewhere else. But it's probably not harmful even if you intend to work somewhere else.

5. If it's the Mass SJC, they have an especially strong reputation, which is a factor weighing in favor.

taks7

Postby taks7 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:18 pm

Forgive me if this has been answered a dozen times already on this thread, but how hard/easy is it to get a low pass? I'm a 0L (was admitted a couple weeks ago) and am trying to compare Harvard's grading system against Stanford's.

despina

Postby despina » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:26 pm

taks7 wrote:Forgive me if this has been answered a dozen times already on this thread, but how hard/easy is it to get a low pass? I'm a 0L (was admitted a couple weeks ago) and am trying to compare Harvard's grading system against Stanford's.

Lots of info on this in the OP.

The short answer: no one really knows. It definitely happens, in most cases probably to people who don't put in much effort, but also sometimes to people who do. If you get just one, it's not likely to affect you much unless you dream of SCOTUS clerkships. If you start racking them up (which you'd probably have to slack pretty hard to do?) it will hurt your job chances.

taks7

Postby taks7 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:13 pm

despina wrote:
taks7 wrote:Forgive me if this has been answered a dozen times already on this thread, but how hard/easy is it to get a low pass? I'm a 0L (was admitted a couple weeks ago) and am trying to compare Harvard's grading system against Stanford's.

Lots of info on this in the OP.

The short answer: no one really knows. It definitely happens, in most cases probably to people who don't put in much effort, but also sometimes to people who do. If you get just one, it's not likely to affect you much unless you dream of SCOTUS clerkships. If you start racking them up (which you'd probably have to slack pretty hard to do?) it will hurt your job chances.

Thanks for answering!

Postby 2666 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:08 pm

Thank you all for taking your time. It's really helpful.
I noticed this in the thread.
ph14 wrote:So here's what is guaranteed:

Fall Semester:
1. Civil Procedure
2. LRW
3. ?
4. ?
5. ?

Spring Semester:
1. International Law Elective (~7 options)
2. LRW
3. True Elective
4. ?
5. ?

? marks are filled in by: torts, contracts, property, criminal law, and legislation and regulation.

So which three of seven classes should I take if I want my first semester to be relatively easier? I think I might need some time to acclimate to HLS life so I'm a bit concerned that too much workload in the beginning won't be a good idea.
Thanks!

politics89

Postby politics89 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:17 pm

2666 wrote:Thank you all for taking your time. It's really helpful.
ph14 wrote:So here's what is guaranteed:

Fall Semester:
1. Civil Procedure
2. LRW
3. ?
4. ?
5. ?

Spring Semester:
1. International Law Elective (~7 options)
2. LRW
3. True Elective
4. ?
5. ?

? marks are filled in by: torts, contracts, property, criminal law, and legislation and regulation.

So which three of seven classes should I take if I want my first semester to be relatively easier? I think I might need some time to acclimate to HLS life so I'm a bit concerned that too much workload in the beginning won't be a good idea.
Thanks!

You don't get a choice, classes are all assigned first semester.

fred013

Postby fred013 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:33 pm

lol @ OL thinking HLS gives you a choice over anything.

Postby 2666 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:03 pm

Oh thanks politics89 I thought the question marks imply uncertainty on which I might have control but it's good to know I don't so I can let go of my safety net.
And Fred thanks for the reminder I was almost going to ask if HLS gives us the choice to have a BBQ party in Ms. Minnow's backyard.

despina

Postby despina » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:57 pm

2666 wrote:Oh thanks politics89 I thought the question marks imply uncertainty on which I might have control but it's good to know I don't so I can let go of my safety net.
And Fred thanks for the reminder I was almost going to ask if HLS gives us the choice to have a BBQ party in Ms. Minnow's backyard.

Yup, you get placed in a section of 80 people and have all of those classes together except for your international law and spring elective. Your only control is in the form of asking the registrar, "hey, X person is my spouse / sibling and we don't want to be in the same section please." As far as I understand it, this is standard across most law schools.

With respect to BBQ with Dean Minnow (or at the very least, Professor Minnow, please, NOT Ms. Minnow -- that's a pretty huge thing to watch out for in the legal / academic world, especially for women), it's actually not all that crazy. At the Public Interest Auction in the spring, the Dean and other professors offer items such as "beer and game night for 12 people at Prof X's house." Dean Minnow has offered to host movie nights etc in the past. You and your friends or your entire section can get together to bid on these items. Some of them are affordable on a normal student budget if enough people go in on it.

And a lot of other profs do host students at their houses for reading groups, end-of-semester parties, student groups they sponsor, etc. During my 1L year I was hosted at the homes of 5 professors and administrators, and had to decline opportunities to go to several others because of schedule conflicts.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:27 pm

I'm not sure it's entirely necessary to point out, but it's actually Minow not Minnow.

despina

Postby despina » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:02 pm

TripTrip wrote:I'm not sure it's entirely necessary to point out, but it's actually Minow not Minnow.

Damn it, I've been trying and failing to remember that for 3 years. Thank you for the perfectly necessary reminder.

fred013

Postby fred013 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:44 pm

sharks and minnows lol

Postby 2666 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:14 am

Retaking spelling class right now, is it legally feasible to blame autocorrect even though I was on my laptop? (damn it I could be so much cooler but now I just feel like a minnow :shock: )
Also my apologies if anyone felt offended by the personal title, I was only a bit feisty because I didn't get why my not-so-ridiculous question was answered by jeer but now it's not that important after my apparently-very-ridiculous mistake. Please do not revoke the offer if by any chance you are reading this thread Prof. Minow.

despina

Postby despina » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:46 pm

For what it's worth, I wasn't offended at all -- I was just giving you a heads-up that this is something to watch out for in the future because you could easily offend others. And of course I have egg on my face because I apparently can't even spell her name right either. :?

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:53 pm

2666 wrote:I didn't get why my not-so-ridiculous question was answered by jeer

Please ignore Fred. The rest of us do.

despina

Postby despina » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:59 pm

tomwatts wrote:

For real, welcome to the thread. Fred's been trolling for dozens of pages now and probably isn't actually an HLS student. Please don't let his antics get you down or affect your perception of the school.

rathgra

Postby rathgra » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:12 pm

politics89 wrote:
2666 wrote:Thank you all for taking your time. It's really helpful.

Thanks!

You don't get a choice, classes are all assigned first semester.

And even if you did - it depends so much on the professor and personal preference (for the topic of class itself, the way the professor teaches, the nature of the exam (I found the easiest exam to study for first semester was for the class that was brutal day-to-day), etc.) that it's very hard to say generally.

fred013

Postby fred013 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:29 pm

despina wrote:
tomwatts wrote:

For real, welcome to the thread. Fred's been trolling for dozens of pages now and probably isn't actually an HLS student. Please don't let his antics get you down or affect your perception of the school.

i go to HLS. I am not trolling. The perception of the school you should have is this - its a huge institution that is very impersonal and exploits its reputation to provide its students a mediocre experience. there is no advising, guidance or mentorship whatsoever.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:37 pm

fred013 wrote:
despina wrote:
tomwatts wrote:

i go to HLS. I am not trolling. The perception of the school you should have is this - its a huge institution that is very impersonal and exploits its reputation to provide its students a mediocre experience. there is no advising, guidance or mentorship whatsoever.

even if there's some truth to this it isn't unique to harvard

fred013

Postby fred013 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:52 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
even if there's some truth to this it isn't unique to harvard

no it also applies to GULC.

yomisterd

Postby yomisterd » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:22 pm

fred013 wrote:
despina wrote:
tomwatts wrote:

you must be the type of person who expects to have things handed to you. great mentorship/advising is available at Harvard if you work a little for it. but yeah sure its impersonal and exploitive if you expect to be catered to like little Prince George.

rathgra

Postby rathgra » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:08 pm

yomisterd wrote:
fred013 wrote:

you must be the type of person who expects to have things handed to you. great mentorship/advising is available at Harvard if you work a little for it. but yeah sure its impersonal and exploitive if you expect to be catered to like little Prince George.

I have been nothing but absolutely thrilled with the quality of guidance, mentorship, and advising I've received here. I'm going into a specific area of PI and I really doubt I would have had the experience that I'm having at any other school. Granted, I'm a 2L, so this could be illusory at this point, but I feel confident and well-supported going into job-hunting season in the fall.

No personal knowledge of clerkships/EIP, but I know friends who have taken advantage of the resources available for both and didn't seem displeased with their experiences.

foles

Postby foles » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:12 pm

Last edited by foles on Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

nothingtosee

Postby nothingtosee » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:18 pm

foles wrote:
HorseThief wrote:
fred013 wrote:is it possible to get appellate below median?

https://www.law.harvard.edu/current/careers/ocs/jd/secure/career-exploration/judicial-clerkships/choosing-judges/factors-to-consider.html

Scroll down to the grades section.

Would it be possible for students to give a general answer to that questions for prospective students who can't access that site?

/pics removed/

I'm gonna take those down in a bit, let me know when you've seen them.
Last edited by nothingtosee on Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

polareagle

Postby polareagle » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:25 pm

nothingtosee wrote:
foles wrote:
HorseThief wrote:
fred013 wrote:is it possible to get appellate below median?

Images

I'm gonna take those down in a bit, let me know when you've seen them.

Just to add a little color, the 2nd row down (Mostly P's) would be around median.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”