Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Mr. Elshal

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Mr. Elshal » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:41 am

despina wrote:
Mr. Elshal wrote:A question for those who have done clinics:

How do you keep on top of the clinical email system? I know you can't have emails forwarded, but is there some other way to get notifications of new mail other than logging in constantly to check?

You don't keep on top, you can't get notifications, and yes, it is 100% terrible. I basically just keep a tab constantly open and flip back to it from time to time to log back in when it kicks me out. Saving your login information helps.

Another thing I've done is ask people (clinical instructor, any clients who correspond with me that way) to shoot me an email to my regular account, text me, (both without HRCI of course) or call if they send something time-sensitive to that account. Of course that's not a reliable notification system, but it does help give people a heads-up that I won't necessarily see something to this account within, say, 6 hours of receiving it.

Thanks. I was afraid that it would suck as much as I thought it did. But I do (relatively) like the idea of keeping a tab open, so I'm gonna stick with that and with asking people to let me know about time-sensitive stuff. Thanks again!

CicerBRo

Postby CicerBRo » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:24 am

Question:

Where can I find information on how to calculate your "GPA" with regard to Latin Honors? Also, do clinic grades count? Or just clinical class grades?

Thanks.

UnicornHunter

Postby UnicornHunter » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:30 am

rabbit5000 wrote:
wert3813 wrote:
rabbit5000 wrote:If you had something like multiple DS's, is working for a firm REALLY your greatest ambition? When you could be a Senator or a judge or head of the ACLU or something? Why study your ass off just to help corporations merge??

I get the money aspect but...what's the point of doing so well in school then?

Holy crap theres some interesting thoughts being spread today. The grade correlation is no where near as strong as you think. I would bet good money if you looked at outcomes 15 years later of people with multiple DSs v. everyone else you would see any noticeable difference in success. Certainly not for something with 900 total openings or 100 total openings. Just like you never got anointed with special water when you enrolled the multiple DS people don't get it either.

I don't deny any of that, lol. Doesn't that just further support what I'm trying to say, that there's no point in really killing yourself unless you want to do something REALLY special?

After reading through this thread, there's probably a lot of reasons for people to do that.

HorseThief

Postby HorseThief » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:48 am

CicerBRo wrote:Question:

Where can I find information on how to calculate your "GPA" with regard to Latin Honors? Also, do clinic grades count? Or just clinical class grades?

Thanks.

Check the first post in this thread.

CicerBRo

Postby CicerBRo » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:06 pm

HorseThief wrote:
CicerBRo wrote:Question:

Thanks.

Check the first post in this thread.

Thanks.

CicerBRo

Postby CicerBRo » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:10 pm

Just a quick clarification: I read the first page, but I can't figure this out. If you are anywhere in the top 40 percent, do you get cum laude?

Edit: Also, do clinic grades count?

Feel free to be angry at me if I missed this and it is on the first post after all.

CicerBRo

Postby CicerBRo » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:36 pm

tachikara wrote:http://law.harvard.edu/current/careers/ocs/employers/hls-grading-policy/index.html

For more excruciating detail, see: http://law.harvard.edu/academics/handbo ... 26.142.pdf

Thanks. This answered my questions.

For those who are curious:

(1) Clinic grades DO count for Latin Honors (so long as you do not have more than 12 clinical credits, in which case, those exceeding 12 credits will not be counted).

(2) All years are weighed equally and averaged.

(3) Cum Laude, the "lowest" Latin Honor, seems to be awarded to those who are within the top 40 percent.

Mista Bojangles

Postby Mista Bojangles » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:50 pm

Mr. Elshal wrote:
despina wrote:
Mr. Elshal wrote:A question for those who have done clinics:

How do you keep on top of the clinical email system? I know you can't have emails forwarded, but is there some other way to get notifications of new mail other than logging in constantly to check?

You don't keep on top, you can't get notifications, and yes, it is 100% terrible. I basically just keep a tab constantly open and flip back to it from time to time to log back in when it kicks me out. Saving your login information helps.

Another thing I've done is ask people (clinical instructor, any clients who correspond with me that way) to shoot me an email to my regular account, text me, (both without HRCI of course) or call if they send something time-sensitive to that account. Of course that's not a reliable notification system, but it does help give people a heads-up that I won't necessarily see something to this account within, say, 6 hours of receiving it.

Thanks. I was afraid that it would suck as much as I thought it did. But I do (relatively) like the idea of keeping a tab open, so I'm gonna stick with that and with asking people to let me know about time-sensitive stuff. Thanks again!

No, there's actually a setting you can do within clinical email to get notifications sent to another main email address. It's not mail forwarding, but a once-daily notification that you got at least some mail in the past 24hrs (or else no notification at all if you got no clinical mail).

I don't have a clinical email this semester so I can't check and walk you through how to set it up, but it's somewhere there in the settings, called notifications or somesuch

despina

Postby despina » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:20 pm

Mista Bojangles wrote:No, there's actually a setting you can do within clinical email to get notifications sent to another main email address. It's not mail forwarding, but a once-daily notification that you got at least some mail in the past 24hrs (or else no notification at all if you got no clinical mail).

I don't have a clinical email this semester so I can't check and walk you through how to set it up, but it's somewhere there in the settings, called notifications or somesuch

Ah yes, I forgot about this option because an "every 24-hour summary" email is basically useless to me. If I'm in a clinic where anybody would send me anything important by email, I'm checking my email at least once a day anyway.

But in case anyone is wondering, in the clinical email, log in and then in the top right corner, click on "options." Then click the last link, "Email Summary."

If you're going to do this, you might want to remind your clients not to put any HRCI in the subject of their emails. People do dumb stuff, and you are still responsible for keeping HRCI where it belongs and out of your personal inbox. If you get hacked, it's your poor clinical supervisor's bar card on the line and OCP's insurance paying out.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:37 pm

i used a chrome plugin to autorefresh the tab (to keep it from auto logging out) and just left it open. the tab name changes to (1) or w/e when you get email (and maybe pops up an alert? i forget).

despina

Postby despina » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:35 pm

fats provolone wrote:i used a chrome plugin to autorefresh the tab (to keep it from auto logging out) and just left it open. the tab name changes to (1) or w/e when you get email (and maybe pops up an alert? i forget).

Oooh, nice! I need to step up my plugin game. Which one do you use?

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:40 pm

it's called autoreload I think. but there are a bunch

CicerBRo

Postby CicerBRo » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:44 am

Does anyone know if, under the "upper-level credit" part of Helios, does the upper-level elective we took as a 1L count?

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:59 am

CicerBRo wrote:Does anyone know if, under the "upper-level credit" part of Helios, does the upper-level elective we took as a 1L count?

It does not.

You can tell using the Degree Audit Tool.

CicerBRo

Postby CicerBRo » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:52 pm

tomwatts wrote:
CicerBRo wrote:Does anyone know if, under the "upper-level credit" part of Helios, does the upper-level elective we took as a 1L count?

It does not.

You can tell using the Degree Audit Tool.

I love you.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:24 pm

How important is it for 1L's to do a SPO?

Single-Malt-Liquor

Postby Single-Malt-Liquor » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:35 pm

wtrc wrote:How important is it for 1L's to do a SPO?

I didn't do one (didn't do a journal either) and it never came up at EIP.

I do have quite a bit of work experience though.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:35 pm

leave no box unchecked

Single-Malt-Liquor

Postby Single-Malt-Liquor » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:01 pm

fats provolone wrote:leave no box unchecked

Now that you mention it, I was asked why I didn't do parody.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:10 pm

wtrc wrote:How important is it for 1L's to do a SPO?

What is wrong with you people. I need to stop wasting time answering questions in this thread. 99% of the time the questions are exactly the same:
should I do [insert extracurricular] or have [award/grade/honors] to do [EIP/clerk/name firm]?
The answer is always a mix of (1) it depends and/or (2) follow your passion.
Stop looking around and stay in your lane. You're at HLS --> I promise it'll work out.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:27 pm

is it better to have:

1 P, 3 H, 2 DS
5 H, 1 DS
1 LP, 1 H, 4 DS
2 P, 1 H, 3 DS
or 2 LP, 4 DS

just trying to figure out how to calibrate my effort. also please answer each of the above with or without law review and with or without HLAB.

also how much financial aid do people usually get?

despina

Postby despina » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:25 pm

fats provolone wrote:is it better to have:

1 P, 3 H, 2 DS
5 H, 1 DS
1 LP, 1 H, 4 DS
2 P, 1 H, 3 DS
or 2 LP, 4 DS

just trying to figure out how to calibrate my effort. also please answer each of the above with or without law review and with or without HLAB.

:lol:

BlakcMajikc wrote:The answer is always a mix of (1) it depends and/or (2) follow your passion.
Stop looking around and stay in your lane. You're at HLS --> I promise it'll work out.

polareagle

Postby polareagle » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:28 pm

fats provolone wrote:is it better to have:

1 P, 3 H, 2 DS
5 H, 1 DS
1 LP, 1 H, 4 DS
2 P, 1 H, 3 DS
or 2 LP, 4 DS

Last edited by polareagle on Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:13 pm

Single-Malt-Liquor wrote:Now that you mention it, I was asked why I didn't do parody.

This is the best thing ever.

Also, why didn't you do Parody?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”