Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
fred013

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby fred013 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:02 am

Indigo12 wrote:
wert3813 wrote:Holy hell. I mean. Netflix or something maybe?

Section 3 + any other data point that people associate with what can't be more than a handful of names means there's a risk that when people see Fred, they think of me the actual person, or vice versa when they see me in person.

I mean as you observed below, Fred's been the weirdest little bird to have graced us with his presence, so it's time well spent dispelling the misconceptions

1. I'm Fred
2. I had an H/P/P/P/P breakdown
3. Literally anything else Fred has posted.

i am fred, not you. leave me alone.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:06 am

rabbit5000 wrote:
wert3813 wrote:
rabbit5000 wrote:If you had something like multiple DS's, is working for a firm REALLY your greatest ambition? When you could be a Senator or a judge or head of the ACLU or something? Why study your ass off just to help corporations merge??

I get the money aspect but...what's the point of doing so well in school then?

Holy crap theres some interesting thoughts being spread today. The grade correlation is no where near as strong as you think. I would bet good money if you looked at outcomes 15 years later of people with multiple DSs v. everyone else you would see any noticeable difference in success. Certainly not for something with 900 total openings or 100 total openings. Just like you never got anointed with special water when you enrolled the multiple DS people don't get it either.

I don't deny any of that, lol. Doesn't that just further support what I'm trying to say, that there's no point in really killing yourself unless you want to do something REALLY special?

I don't think so. Maybe I don't follow.

Killing it 1L has it's perks. Susman, Wachtell and W&C seem by all accounts to be in high demand for a reason ($$$ +exit options +more substantive work).

Overly stressing about something that is incredibly random and hard to control and a contest against some of the smartest people in the world is not worth stressing about.

Indigo12

Postby Indigo12 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:26 am

fred013 wrote:
Indigo12 wrote:
wert3813 wrote:Holy hell. I mean. Netflix or something maybe?

Section 3 + any other data point that people associate with what can't be more than a handful of names means there's a risk that when people see Fred, they think of me the actual person, or vice versa when they see me in person.

I mean as you observed below, Fred's been the weirdest little bird to have graced us with his presence, so it's time well spent dispelling the misconceptions

1. I'm Fred
2. I had an H/P/P/P/P breakdown
3. Literally anything else Fred has posted.

i am fred, not you. leave me alone.

This'll be the first and last time I entertain this delusion,* but note how my intended audience is people who might confuse me with you, and not, you know, actually you.

*This TLS post was timestamped Wed, 01/28, 2:26AM EST. I made a clear reference to this phrase on my FB at 2:42AM. The fact that the TLS post preceded the FB post is important: If the FB post had come beforehand, then anyone who sees it can just post it on TLS. Whereas only the person who controls both can make the FB post follow the TLS one. This seems a bit neurotic along the lines of "woah man just turn on Netflix" but being mistaken for Fred and all his "unique" traits is surely a worse fate than being thought of as a bit neurotic over that fate.

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:13 am

Maybe just something like "I am A.A. (or whatever), Fred is not me" would suffice going forward?

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:13 am

But actually, what the hell is going on here?

pupshaw

Postby pupshaw » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:40 am

wtrc wrote:But actually, what the hell is going on here?

nothingtosee

Postby nothingtosee » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:01 am

WHERE ARE THE MODS

Searchparty

Postby Searchparty » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:20 am

What if both accounts are Fred?

MyNameIsFlynn!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:37 am

lmfao what in the actual fuck is happening in here. these last 20 pages have been... entertaining

fred013

Postby fred013 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:03 pm

another section 3er is trying to out me is whats going on.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:05 pm

Do not post any further information about a user's real life identity. If you have any concerns about a specific user's behavior please either report the post or contact a mod directly.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:08 pm

Welp.

Anyway, question regarding grades: in your experiences, do employers (not EIP firms, thinking more Hill/larger non-profit type stuff) generally seem to know what our grades mean? I'm sending out my transcript now as an update to a few job applications that requested fall grades, but I'm wondering if they really know what the P's and H's or whatever else even necessarily mean?

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:33 pm

never change harvard

MyNameIsFlynn!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:35 pm

wtrc wrote:Welp.

Anyway, question regarding grades: in your experiences, do employers (not EIP firms, thinking more Hill/larger non-profit type stuff) generally seem to know what our grades mean? I'm sending out my transcript now as an update to a few job applications that requested fall grades, but I'm wondering if they really know what the P's and H's or whatever else even necessarily mean?

It's gonna depend. I suspect that larger non-profits and Hill offices that tend to occasionally draw HLS students will have a better idea of what grades mean, but not as good an understanding as large firms that regularly take multiple HLS people. If the office has nobody from HLS on staff and hasn't taken an HLS student in the past few years, I doubt they'd understand the grade system.

For what it's worth, even if the employers understand the grade system, many don't care. A lot of them are just happy to have an HLS intern for the summer. Obviously, YMMV depending on how competitive the position is.

Searchparty

Postby Searchparty » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:19 pm

wtrc wrote:Welp.

When sending my applications to small public interest organizations that probably rarely, if ever, get applications from HLS, I include a link to the school's page on grades.

rathgra

Postby rathgra » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:32 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:For what it's worth, even if the employers understand the grade system, many don't care. A lot of them are just happy to have an HLS intern for the summer. Obviously, YMMV depending on how competitive the position is.

Yeah, how much an employer understands my grades and how pleasantly surprised they are to just have anyone from HLS interested in them at all have been inversely correlated for me.

fred013

Postby fred013 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:57 pm

any anecdotal advice on PSW grades would be appreciated.

Single-Malt-Liquor

Postby Single-Malt-Liquor » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:23 pm

fats provolone wrote:never change harvard

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:41 pm

I know someone at Ropes & Gray-Boston asked someone during a callback what a Dean's Scholar was.

Mr. Elshal

Postby Mr. Elshal » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:29 am

A question for those who have done clinics:

How do you keep on top of the clinical email system? I know you can't have emails forwarded, but is there some other way to get notifications of new mail other than logging in constantly to check?

Indigo12

Postby Indigo12 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:10 am

Pneumonia wrote:Maybe just something like "I am A.A. (or whatever), Fred is not me" would suffice going forward?

That would suffice but there's always
Searchparty wrote:What if both accounts are Fred?

1. I don't have much of a posting history because most of my posts are anon in the Legal Employment forum.
2. Moderator A.Nony.Mouse has read my posts and I've addressed my concerns to him or her. As a Mod, he or she would have banned me immediately if I were Fred's alt.

I have and want nothing to do with Fred and have no interest in outing him. I don't know who he is IRL and don't care. I don't have any info or "dirt" on him from IRL because I don't know who he is IRL. I haven't posted anything about him that wasn't from one of his public posts under both his current account and his "pre-password loss" account.

The only goal I have is to have none of my IRL peers mistakenly equate me with Online Fred and cross-impute Fred's traits to IRL me. That's it. I don't want people to see me IRL and think "that's Fred online, he doesn't show it but he's [adjectives X, Y, and Z]."

The reason people will think that is not because he claims to be in Section 3 or to have a grade breakdown of whatever he had. Rather, it's because he asked this one question:
fred013 wrote:Thanks. do you have any more color on the appeals process? will I have an opportunity to present my case? I don't think I am getting the grade I deserve in my J-term class.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=141188&p=8332170#p8332170

As you all know, it takes an unusual mishap to be in danger of not passing PSW. Out of 550, there can't be more than 5-10 a year. But IRL me is rumored to be in that group of 5-10/year to be in an uncertain and unusual PSW situation. So when people read Fred's public posts and see 1. Section 3; and 2. PSW mishap, the first name to pop into their heads is IRL me, which risks incorrectly linking IRL me to online Fred.

In fact, a PM I received shortly after I posted the above named my first initial, which confirmed my fear that people will mistakenly think IRL me has this online Fred persona.

Well, to set the record straight, IRL me grew up in NYC, as CivPro Prof W.Rubes mentioned when he called on me to discuss Parklane Hosiery v. Shore. Only IRL me would remember which specific case I got cold called on.

If only you would remember which case you got cold called on then how does saying you got cold called on xxxx v yyyy do anything to help your case?
This is one of those "wait if you go back in time and change how your parents met, does that mean you don't exist..." "objections." But I meant it as a "who did Prof WR call on again for ABC v XYZ? No idea. But I have a first guess as to which IRL identity is in question here, and now that he mentions it, yea it was him/her who answered ABC v XYZ."

In contrast, Fred has publicly admitted
fred013 wrote:Get a life dude, yes I'm from Chicago what the hell is your problem? Please stop outing me.

http://imgur.com/VmsQimS, viewtopic.php?f=38&t=220470&p=8344924#p8344924

That should settle that IRL me is NOT online Fred.
Last edited by Indigo12 on Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

despina

Postby despina » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:22 am

Mr. Elshal wrote:A question for those who have done clinics:

How do you keep on top of the clinical email system? I know you can't have emails forwarded, but is there some other way to get notifications of new mail other than logging in constantly to check?

You don't keep on top, you can't get notifications, and yes, it is 100% terrible. I basically just keep a tab constantly open and flip back to it from time to time to log back in when it kicks me out. Saving your login information helps.

Another thing I've done is ask people (clinical instructor, any clients who correspond with me that way) to shoot me an email to my regular account, text me, (both without HRCI of course) or call if they send something time-sensitive to that account. Of course that's not a reliable notification system, but it does help give people a heads-up that I won't necessarily see something to this account within, say, 6 hours of receiving it.

Single-Malt-Liquor

Postby Single-Malt-Liquor » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:43 am

Indigo12 wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:Maybe just something like "I am A.A. (or whatever), Fred is not me" would suffice going forward?

That would suffice but there's always
Searchparty wrote:What if both accounts are Fred?

1. I don't have much of a posting history because most of my posts are anon in the Legal Employment forum.
2. Moderator A.Nony.Mouse has read my posts and I've addressed my concerns to him or her. As a Mod, he or she would have banned me immediately if I were Fred's alt.

I have and want nothing to do with Fred and have no interest in outing him. I don't know who he is IRL and don't care. I don't have any info or "dirt" on him from IRL because I don't know who he is IRL. I haven't posted anything about him that wasn't from one of his public posts under both his current account and his "pre-password loss" account.

The only goal I have is to have none of my IRL peers mistakenly equate me with Online Fred and cross-impute Fred's traits to IRL me. That's it. I don't want people to see me IRL and think "that's Fred online, he doesn't show it but he's [adjectives X, Y, and Z]."

The reason people will think that is not because he claims to be in Section 3 or to have a grade breakdown of whatever he had. Rather, it's because he asked this one question:
fred013 wrote:Thanks. do you have any more color on the appeals process? will I have an opportunity to present my case? I don't think I am getting the grade I deserve in my J-term class.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=141188&p=8332170#p8332170

As you all know, it takes an unusual mishap to be in danger of not passing PSW. Out of 550, there can't be more than 5-10 a year. But IRL me is rumored to be in that group of 5-10/year to be in an uncertain and unusual PSW situation. So when people read Fred's public posts and see 1. Section 3; and 2. PSW mishap, the first name to pop into their heads is IRL me, which risks incorrectly linking IRL me to online Fred.

In fact, a PM I received shortly after I posted the above named my first initial, which confirmed my fear that people will mistakenly think IRL me has this online Fred persona.

Well, to set the record straight, IRL me grew up in NYC, as CivPro Prof W.Rubes mentioned when he called on me to discuss Parklane Hosiery v. Shore. Only IRL me would remember which specific case I got cold called on.

In contrast, Fred has publicly admitted
fred013 wrote:Get a life dude, yes I'm from Chicago what the hell is your problem? Please stop outing me.

http://imgur.com/VmsQimS, viewtopic.php?f=38&t=220470&p=8344924#p8344924

That should settle that IRL me is NOT online Fred.

If only you would remember which case you got cold called on then how does saying you got cold called on xxxx v yyyy do anything to help your case?

KaNa1986

Postby KaNa1986 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:54 am

rabbit5000 wrote:Can someone tell me what makes a V10 firm better than, say, a V15 or V20 firm? Slightly higher bonuses/exit options? Don't you have to work more hours though? Don't really understand the craze here to work for a top firm TBH

Deal flow. Institutional relationships with sophisticated clients like GS, JPM, etc.

OMAR_COMIN_YO

Postby OMAR_COMIN_YO » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:14 am

If this fake Fred troll fiasco is legitimate, I have to say I'm surprised and disappointed to see that playground bullying has made it all the way to HLS.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”