Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
CicerBRo

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby CicerBRo » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:38 pm

rabbit5000 wrote:Can someone tell me what makes a V10 firm better than, say, a V15 or V20 firm? Slightly higher bonuses/exit options? Don't you have to work more hours though? Don't really understand the craze here to work for a top firm TBH

Mostly just different satisfaction levels for various extremely neurotic egos driven solely by insecurity and a deep and abiding sense of dismay.

Single-Malt-Liquor

Postby Single-Malt-Liquor » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:10 pm

rabbit5000 wrote:Can someone tell me what makes a V10 firm better than, say, a V15 or V20 firm? Slightly higher bonuses/exit options? Don't you have to work more hours though? Don't really understand the craze here to work for a top firm TBH

It really depends on what you want and what the firm is good at. But at the end I think fit is much more important (I chose a V25 over two V5 offers so that might just be confirmation bias talking).

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:59 pm

the exit options are better by 5

polareagle

Postby polareagle » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:10 pm

Nothing.

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:49 pm

Sooo regular school hours tomorrow?

Mr. Elshal

Postby Mr. Elshal » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:15 pm

polareagle wrote:

Nothing.

This is true. I was only mentioning the number in my comment to highlight that Fred (if that is his real name...) is really not closed off from much based on those grades. In reality, I think it's more important to find a firm that has engaging work in the practice area you want, with other employees that you can spend every day with while remaining happy or fulfilled (or whatever your favorite word is).

heythatslife

Postby heythatslife » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:05 pm

Do employers actually care about a DS, or do they treat it the same as any H?

nothingtosee

Postby nothingtosee » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:20 pm

heythatslife wrote:Do employers actually care about a DS, or do they treat it the same as any H?

I've seen firm profiles where associates have their CALI awards or whatever listed.
Congrats.

Lovely Ludwig Van

Postby Lovely Ludwig Van » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:36 pm

heythatslife wrote:Do employers actually care about a DS, or do they treat it the same as any H?

Straight from the horse's mouth (i.e. head of recruiting at Wachtell): "We like to see asterisks on transcripts."

Mr. Elshal

Postby Mr. Elshal » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:29 pm

Lovely Ludwig Van wrote:

Straight from the horse's mouth (i.e. head of recruiting at Wachtell): "We like to see asterisks on transcripts."

Reminds me of that time Barry Bonds got a DS in baseball.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:48 pm

Lovely Ludwig Van wrote:

Your anecdote proves that one niche law firm cares about DS. Not that they make a difference to all NYC V10s or anything related to a global statement. Don't scare the youngins.

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:06 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
Lovely Ludwig Van wrote:

Your anecdote proves that one niche law firm cares about DS. Not that they make a difference to all NYC V10s or anything related to a global statement. Don't scare the youngins.

I've heard anecdotes that judges tend to place more weight on them than firms. Thoughts?

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:46 pm

lawschool22 wrote:I've heard anecdotes that judges tend to place more weight on them than firms. Thoughts?

Good sentence structure and punctuation, those are my thoughts on that sentence.

If you guys wanna know where DS's really help it's with Latin Honors. The DS is a full 5 where Ps are 3 and Hs 4. If you can pull three or four of them over the course of law school that math for cum gets real nice.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:21 am

wert3813 wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:I've heard anecdotes that judges tend to place more weight on them than firms. Thoughts?

Good sentence structure and punctuation, those are my thoughts on that sentence.

If you guys wanna know where DS's really help it's with Latin Honors. The DS is a full 5 where Ps are 3 and Hs 4. If you can pull three or four of them over the course of law school that math for cum gets real nice.

Like upvote +1 retweet.

Indigo12

Postby Indigo12 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:49 am

fred013 wrote:this is disastrous. what are the consequences of H/P/P/P/P. below median pawned.

No idea what this Fred character's deal is but he claims to be:

1. In Section 3
2. Have some beef with his J-term class
3. Have these grades and, all semester long, curious about what grades he needs for WLRK and feeders and whatnot.

Because I have a certain person in mind in Section 3 who, from what I hear, people think had a hiccup with his J-term class. I doubt there are 2 people in Section 3 who had such a hiccup so Fred, along with his lowercase manner of writing, may be trying to impersonate someone in Section 3 so as to hurt that the real Section 3er's esteem.

I can say for sure that he does not have the grade breakdown quoted above. (Since I'm either that person himself or someone relaying the message).

But it's probably more disconcerting to be the person who's mistaken to correspond to Fred.

So if you have a first guess as to who it is, it's probably not him. PM if you care. Also, please PM if you have think you know who Fred the TLS username corresponds to, with initials or something, so that I can assure you otherwise. I think we can all agree that no one wants their peers suspecting "I think that's Fred."

ETA: Fred also claims to know a thing or 2 about the parking policies and permits and such. He also claims to be interested in Chicago firms. Your first guess, grew up in a nonChicago city whose under25 demographic has an infamously low rate of actually bothering to get a driver's permit, so he has no reason to know a thing about parking or anything Chicago.

ETA2: If you're tempted to think too long don't care or something, just think about whether your first guess is the type of person who would care about doing this as damage control/dissociation from Fred
Last edited by Indigo12 on Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:04 am, edited 5 times in total.

asdfdsa

Postby asdfdsa » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:55 am

TripTrip wrote:
wert3813 wrote:

Like upvote +1 retweet.

So would it be better to have 2 DS or 3H for a firm job? Would they prefer the person with 3 H's just cuz he technically has more H's on his transcript?

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:21 am

definitely better to have 3 Hs. see if you can turn one of your DS' into an H.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:24 am

Guys, one of the things you have to understand about HLS's obfuscated grades is that a lot of older lawyers think that our system means that we don't even HAVE grades anymore. Whether anyone would prefer 3 H's or 2 DS's is so heavily dependent on whether they even know what a DS is -- I was asked more than once during EIP by interviewers -- that it's not clear that there even is a general answer.

For Latin honors, 2 DS/3P beats 3 H/2P.

rabbit5000

Postby rabbit5000 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:30 am

If you had something like multiple DS's, is working for a firm REALLY your greatest ambition? When you could be a Senator or a judge or head of the ACLU or something? Why study your ass off just to help corporations merge??

I get the money aspect but...what's the point of doing so well in school then?

fred013

Postby fred013 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:35 am

Indigo12 wrote:
fred013 wrote:this is disastrous. what are the consequences of H/P/P/P/P. below median pawned.

1. In Section 3
3. Have these grades and, all semester long, curious about what grades he needs for WLRK and feeders and whatnot.

Because I have a certain person in mind in Section 3 who, from what I hear, people think had a hiccup with his J-term class. I doubt there are 2 people in Section 3 who had such a hiccup so Fred, along with his lowercase manner of writing, may be trying to impersonate someone in Section 3 so as to hurt that the real Section 3er's esteem.

I can say for sure that he does not have the grade breakdown quoted above. (Since I'm either that person himself or someone relaying the message).

But it's probably more disconcerting to be person who's mistaken to correspond to Fred.

So if you have a first guess as to who it is, it's probably not him. PM if you care. Also, please PM if you have think you know who Fred the TLS username corresponds to, with initials or something, so that I can assure you otherwise. I think we can all agree that no one wants their peers suspecting "I think that's Fred."

ETA: Fred also claims to know a thing or 2 about the parking policies and permits and such. He also claims to be interested in Chicago firms. Your first guess, if it's the same as who I think people's first guess is, has no reason to know a thing about parking or anything Chicago.

i have no idea what the purpose of this is. i would rather not reveal my identity and i think that is my right. please stop badgering / exposing who i am.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:49 am

rabbit5000 wrote:If you had something like multiple DS's, is working for a firm REALLY your greatest ambition? When you could be a Senator or a judge or head of the ACLU or something? Why study your ass off just to help corporations merge??

Holy crap theres some interesting thoughts being spread today. The grade correlation is no where near as strong as you think. I would bet good money if you looked at outcomes 15 years later of people with multiple DSs v. everyone else you would see any noticeable difference in success. Certainly not for something with 900 total openings or 100 total openings. Just like you never got anointed with special water when you enrolled the multiple DS people don't get it either.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:51 am

Indigo12 wrote:

1. In Section 3

But it's probably more disconcerting to be person who's mistaken to correspond to Fred.

ETA: Fred also claims to know a thing or 2 about the parking policies and permits and such. He also claims to be interested in Chicago firms. Your first guess, if it's the same as who I think people's first guess is, has no reason to know a thing about parking or anything Chicago.

Holy hell. I mean. Netflix or something maybe?

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:53 am

fred013 wrote:
Indigo12 wrote:

1. In Section 3

i have no idea what the purpose of this is. i would rather not reveal my identity and i think that is my right. please stop badgering / exposing who i am.
While you have a right to be anonymous you are by far the weirdest person on this site and with your inane questions and constant idiocy make others considerably less likely to post . Maybe anonymously post less?

rabbit5000

Postby rabbit5000 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:39 am

wert3813 wrote:
rabbit5000 wrote:If you had something like multiple DS's, is working for a firm REALLY your greatest ambition? When you could be a Senator or a judge or head of the ACLU or something? Why study your ass off just to help corporations merge??

Holy crap theres some interesting thoughts being spread today. The grade correlation is no where near as strong as you think. I would bet good money if you looked at outcomes 15 years later of people with multiple DSs v. everyone else you would see any noticeable difference in success. Certainly not for something with 900 total openings or 100 total openings. Just like you never got anointed with special water when you enrolled the multiple DS people don't get it either.

I don't deny any of that, lol. Doesn't that just further support what I'm trying to say, that there's no point in really killing yourself unless you want to do something REALLY special?

Indigo12

Postby Indigo12 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:48 am

wert3813 wrote:Holy hell. I mean. Netflix or something maybe?

Section 3 + any other data point that people associate with what can't be more than a handful of names means there's a risk that when people see Fred, they think of me the actual person, or vice versa when they see me in person.

I mean as you observed below, Fred's been the weirdest little bird to have graced us with his presence, so it's time well spent dispelling the misconceptions

1. I'm Fred
2. I had an H/P/P/P/P breakdown
3. Literally anything else Fred has posted.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”