Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
Searchparty
Posts: 193
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:22 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Searchparty » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:32 pm

TripTrip wrote:
Nonconsecutive wrote:
Mista Bojangles wrote:Why in God's name would you want to?

For the record, I'm pretty sure you cannot do that in 1L spring (although I'm absolutely sure you should not want to)


I'm currently registered for two courses, in fact I didn't even realize I was in both of them until I got an email today (the other course was a by-application course that I never realized I had actually gotten into). I'm not planning on doing it (In fact I just removed the other class so I wasn't holding up the wait-list), but it seems like it would be a weird way of accumulating more grades than your classmates, which is why I asked if it was even possible.

"More" isn't helpful unless you were to happen to get Hs in both classes. (Which would be less likely since you'd have a bigger credit load.)


It's also by credit, so you wouldn't have any more than someone taking a 4 credit class (also not advisable). Also, taking more credits 1L year does not mean you can take less credits next two years because those requirements are independent of 1L. As people have advised on this board before... take a 2 credit seminar! Usually less work during the semester because it's less credits than everything else. If you do not have an exam that means you have to study for less exams than your peers that have courses with exams. If there is a 4 credit course you are interested in, you have four more semesters to do so. Save it for then!

wwwcol
Posts: 251
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:57 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby wwwcol » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:14 pm

Searchparty wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
Nonconsecutive wrote:
Mista Bojangles wrote:Why in God's name would you want to?

For the record, I'm pretty sure you cannot do that in 1L spring (although I'm absolutely sure you should not want to)


I'm currently registered for two courses, in fact I didn't even realize I was in both of them until I got an email today (the other course was a by-application course that I never realized I had actually gotten into). I'm not planning on doing it (In fact I just removed the other class so I wasn't holding up the wait-list), but it seems like it would be a weird way of accumulating more grades than your classmates, which is why I asked if it was even possible.

"More" isn't helpful unless you were to happen to get Hs in both classes. (Which would be less likely since you'd have a bigger credit load.)


It's also by credit, so you wouldn't have any more than someone taking a 4 credit class (also not advisable). Also, taking more credits 1L year does not mean you can take less credits next two years because those requirements are independent of 1L. As people have advised on this board before... take a 2 credit seminar! Usually less work during the semester because it's less credits than everything else. If you do not have an exam that means you have to study for less exams than your peers that have courses with exams. If there is a 4 credit course you are interested in, you have four more semesters to do so. Save it for then!



To offer another viewpoint, I'm somewhat skeptical about claims that "you'll have 4 more semesters to take it!" Some of the best courses I've taken here were taught by visiting professors who were only teaching for a semester or two, and even among permanent faculty, you'll often see a professor teach a one-off class on a random subject. I think the only classes you can really count on being offered in the future are foundationals like Corps, Tax, Evidence, etc and classes that have been taught by the same prof. since 1980. Point of this being: IMO if you see a class that sounds good, be careful about postponing.

User avatar
BlakcMajikc
Posts: 763
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:05 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby BlakcMajikc » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:51 pm

wwwcol wrote:To offer another viewpoint, I'm somewhat skeptical about claims that "you'll have 4 more semesters to take it!" Some of the best courses I've taken here were taught by visiting professors who were only teaching for a semester or two, and even among permanent faculty, you'll often see a professor teach a one-off class on a random subject. I think the only classes you can really count on being offered in the future are foundationals like Corps, Tax, Evidence, etc and classes that have been taught by the same prof. since 1980. Point of this being: IMO if you see a class that sounds good, be careful about postponing.


In the same vein, you have to be alert abt professors taking sabbaticals.

despina
Posts: 477
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:09 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby despina » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:42 pm

BlakcMajikc wrote:you have to be alert abt professors taking sabbaticals.


Too real. :(

Does anyone know if there's a way to check who is up for sabbatical when? Or do you just have to ask each prof, "hey, you've taught this every spring for the last few years, think you'll be around in spring 2016 and 2017?"

fred013
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:45 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby fred013 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:28 pm

is there an appeals process for grades? (not talking about P/H squabbles but serious ones)

User avatar
wtrc
Posts: 2057
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby wtrc » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:06 pm

fred013 wrote:is there an appeals process for grades? (not talking about P/H squabbles but serious ones)


Fellow 1L here, but from what I understand it's very, very difficult. To change a grade, the faculty needs to vote...

User avatar
wtrc
Posts: 2057
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby wtrc » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:11 pm

Decision time. 1L here.

Course 1: It's a large course. Moderately interesting subject. With a prof I had last semester, and I hope they will be writing me a recommendation if need be in the future. Meets at a terrible time, has an exam, seems to have a lot of work.

Course 2: Seminar. Very little work. Much better timing. No exam.

My brain is telling me I should go with #1 -- keep that relationship with a prof. My heart is saying #2, relax a bit more this semester...

Mista Bojangles
Posts: 243
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:33 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Mista Bojangles » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:18 pm

My brain and heart are both voting for #2

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Doorkeeper » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:49 pm

wtrc wrote:Decision time. 1L here.

Course 1: It's a large course. Moderately interesting subject. With a prof I had last semester, and I hope they will be writing me a recommendation if need be in the future. Meets at a terrible time, has an exam, seems to have a lot of work.

Course 2: Seminar. Very little work. Much better timing. No exam.

My brain is telling me I should go with #1 -- keep that relationship with a prof. My heart is saying #2, relax a bit more this semester...

For the love of god, take Course 2.

You can always drop by office hours of the professor to keep in contact. Plus you have 2 more years to take more classes with that professor. Give yourself a break.

rathgra
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:30 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby rathgra » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:20 pm

Searchparty wrote:As people have advised on this board before... take a 2 credit seminar! Usually less work during the semester because it's less credits than everything else. If you do not have an exam that means you have to study for less exams than your peers that have courses with exams. If there is a 4 credit course you are interested in, you have four more semesters to do so. Save it for then!


Just noting that a lot of seminars have a paper as their final grade. If you were one of those people who hated papers and would rather take an exam in undergrad, it is quite likely you will still be that type of person in law school.

I am one of those people, papers just feel like more work and stress me out more than exams. So, I took a 4 credit black letter with a professor I knew I liked for my elective, had a fantastic experience, absolutely no regrets. Especially as that professor is now on sabbatical...

User avatar
Single-Malt-Liquor
Posts: 1439
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:49 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Single-Malt-Liquor » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:56 pm

rathgra wrote:
Searchparty wrote:As people have advised on this board before... take a 2 credit seminar! Usually less work during the semester because it's less credits than everything else. If you do not have an exam that means you have to study for less exams than your peers that have courses with exams. If there is a 4 credit course you are interested in, you have four more semesters to do so. Save it for then!


Just noting that a lot of seminars have a paper as their final grade. If you were one of those people who hated papers and would rather take an exam in undergrad, it is quite likely you will still be that type of person in law school.

I am one of those people, papers just feel like more work and stress me out more than exams. So, I took a 4 credit black letter with a professor I knew I liked for my elective, had a fantastic experience, absolutely no regrets. Especially as that professor is now on sabbatical...


Hating papers is probably the best reason to take a black letter course. I hate papers with a passion. The thing I hate most about 8 hour exams is that it starts to feel like I'm writing a paper.

fred013
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:45 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby fred013 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:48 am

wtrc wrote:
fred013 wrote:is there an appeals process for grades? (not talking about P/H squabbles but serious ones)


Fellow 1L here, but from what I understand it's very, very difficult. To change a grade, the faculty needs to vote...


Thanks. do you have any more color on the appeals process? will I have an opportunity to present my case? I don't think I am getting the grade I deserve in my J-term class.

wwwcol
Posts: 251
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:57 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby wwwcol » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:35 am

fred013 wrote:
wtrc wrote:
fred013 wrote:is there an appeals process for grades? (not talking about P/H squabbles but serious ones)


Fellow 1L here, but from what I understand it's very, very difficult. To change a grade, the faculty needs to vote...


Thanks. do you have any more color on the appeals process? will I have an opportunity to present my case? I don't think I am getting the grade I deserve in my J-term class.


Your trolling game has really taken a hit lately, son. Step up your game.

rabbit5000
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:06 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby rabbit5000 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:23 am

I got a P on my Closed Memo and an H on my Open Memo. So should my final grade be an H?

nerd1
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 11:35 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby nerd1 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:34 am

.
Last edited by nerd1 on Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rabbit5000
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:06 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby rabbit5000 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:54 am

nerd1 wrote:
rabbit5000 wrote:I got a P on my Closed Memo and an H on my Open Memo. So should my final grade be an H?


Assuming P = 80, H = 90, you got 100 on bb quizzes/research exercises etc and 100 on participation,
if you put the weights to those numbers, you would get 90. So you are likely to get an H so long as you attended all classes and did everything HLS students would normally do.

The Open was worth a bit more than the Closed in our class. And I got a few questions wrong on the BB quizzes, if that matters at all. I was asking more out of personal experience, since I imagine none of the percentages matter too much given that the class is curved. It would definitely suck, though, to put in all that time on the Open and not come out with an H in the class!

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2739
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby TripTrip » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:41 pm

.
Last edited by TripTrip on Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Single-Malt-Liquor
Posts: 1439
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:49 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Single-Malt-Liquor » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:29 pm

TripTrip wrote:
wwwcol wrote:
fred013 wrote:Thanks. do you have any more color on the appeals process? will I have an opportunity to present my case? I don't think I am getting the grade I deserve in my J-term class.


Your trolling game has really taken a hit lately, son. Step up your game.

:lol:

But really, I did such a good job at PSW that instead of "CR" I got "XCR."

...Extra-Credit.


Hmmmm

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2739
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby TripTrip » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:11 am

.
Last edited by TripTrip on Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harvette
Posts: 265
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 2:21 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Harvette » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:05 am

Single-Malt-Liquor wrote:
rathgra wrote:
Searchparty wrote:As people have advised on this board before... take a 2 credit seminar! Usually less work during the semester because it's less credits than everything else. If you do not have an exam that means you have to study for less exams than your peers that have courses with exams. If there is a 4 credit course you are interested in, you have four more semesters to do so. Save it for then!


Just noting that a lot of seminars have a paper as their final grade. If you were one of those people who hated papers and would rather take an exam in undergrad, it is quite likely you will still be that type of person in law school.

I am one of those people, papers just feel like more work and stress me out more than exams. So, I took a 4 credit black letter with a professor I knew I liked for my elective, had a fantastic experience, absolutely no regrets. Especially as that professor is now on sabbatical...


Hating papers is probably the best reason to take a black letter course. I hate papers with a passion. The thing I hate most about 8 hour exams is that it starts to feel like I'm writing a paper.


Just curious, is it possible to go through the while curriculum without ever taking an exam and just writing papers?

User avatar
HorseThief
Posts: 713
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:45 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby HorseThief » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:42 am

Harvette wrote:
Single-Malt-Liquor wrote:
rathgra wrote:
Searchparty wrote:As people have advised on this board before... take a 2 credit seminar! Usually less work during the semester because it's less credits than everything else. If you do not have an exam that means you have to study for less exams than your peers that have courses with exams. If there is a 4 credit course you are interested in, you have four more semesters to do so. Save it for then!


Just noting that a lot of seminars have a paper as their final grade. If you were one of those people who hated papers and would rather take an exam in undergrad, it is quite likely you will still be that type of person in law school.

I am one of those people, papers just feel like more work and stress me out more than exams. So, I took a 4 credit black letter with a professor I knew I liked for my elective, had a fantastic experience, absolutely no regrets. Especially as that professor is now on sabbatical...


Hating papers is probably the best reason to take a black letter course. I hate papers with a passion. The thing I hate most about 8 hour exams is that it starts to feel like I'm writing a paper.


Just curious, is it possible to go through the while curriculum without ever taking an exam and just writing papers?


Probably not. You don't get any choice with the core 1L courses, and they'll probably all be exams (at least mine were).

despina
Posts: 477
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:09 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby despina » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:43 am

Harvette wrote:Just curious, is it possible to go through the while curriculum without ever taking an exam and just writing papers?


No, because almost all 1L classes require exams.

You could probably set it up to never have an exam after 1L, because there are no specifically required classes. However, the large black letter classes that are traditionally considered the "core" of law school curriculum will mostly have exams -- 1st amendment, 14th amendment, evidence, corporations, tax, administrative law, criminal procedure, etc. You don't have to take any of these classes if you don't actually want to practice law, but almost everybody takes at least several of them.

It's fairly common to have only 1 or 2 exams each semester for 2L and 3L. You might take 1-2 black letter classes plus a seminar or clinic.

User avatar
nothingtosee
Posts: 865
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 12:08 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby nothingtosee » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:04 am

[Fred014 sounding question]
Do judges care if I got a P in LRW?

User avatar
Single-Malt-Liquor
Posts: 1439
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:49 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Single-Malt-Liquor » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:56 am

TripTrip wrote:
Single-Malt-Liquor wrote:Hmmmm

It was a great joke. Come on. You chuckled.

No?

Fine. I'll take my funny elsewhere.


I did in fact chuckle.

fred013
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:45 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby fred013 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:41 pm

nothingtosee wrote:[Fred014 sounding question]
Do judges care if I got a P in LRW?



whoa whoa whoa, i only ask about the repercussions of my pSW grade...

(but i think so yes)




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], lapolicia and 2 guests