Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby TripTrip » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:11 pm

Fred012 wrote:if its NYC/DC you can get from PSW down in time?

Theoretically you could leave a little early on a Friday and get to NYC by 4pm on the train, or take a flight and not miss anything.

That said, I would have had no problem missing class for a 1L interview. And I would have rather missed PSW than a class that actually has grades.

Image

hlsperson1111
Posts: 239
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:10 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby hlsperson1111 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:49 am

I took PSW a few years ago, but people missed classes here and there and it didn't seem to be a problem. One girl missed over 50% of the classes and got a stern talking to, but was not forced to retake the class. This might just turn on who your professor is.

Harvette
Posts: 265
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 2:21 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Harvette » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:34 am

How is internet service on and around campus. And who is the best carrier on campus? I am debating purchasing unlimited data plan for my tablet from a friend. This comes with substantial cost upfront but I can quickly recoup by the time I start law school in the fall and more so by cutting off home internet and. downgrading data on my cell phone and relying more on my tablet. I have never paid for cable and use internet on my tablet for everything.
I would get this deal in a heartbeat if it weren't for the thought that I will be in a library most of the time during law school with access to wifi even more so if I happen to live on campus.
Any thoughts?
And if you don't live on campus how much do you spend on internet?

User avatar
HorseThief
Posts: 713
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:45 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby HorseThief » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:27 pm

Harvette wrote:How is internet service on and around campus. And who is the best carrier on campus? I am debating purchasing unlimited data plan for my tablet from a friend. This comes with substantial cost upfront but I can quickly recoup by the time I start law school in the fall and more so by cutting off home internet and. downgrading data on my cell phone and relying more on my tablet. I have never paid for cable and use internet on my tablet for everything.
I would get this deal in a heartbeat if it weren't for the thought that I will be in a library most of the time during law school with access to wifi even more so if I happen to live on campus.
Any thoughts?
And if you don't live on campus how much do you spend on internet?

The wifi on campus is pretty good. About once a month I have trouble connecting and have to use their guest internet, which is painfully slow. Otherwise, though, I can usually pull down ~100Mbps.

I live off-campus, but have Harvard Housing which comes with the same free internet.

Harvette
Posts: 265
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 2:21 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Harvette » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:11 pm

HorseThief wrote:
Harvette wrote:How is internet service on and around campus. And who is the best carrier on campus? I am debating purchasing unlimited data plan for my tablet from a friend. This comes with substantial cost upfront but I can quickly recoup by the time I start law school in the fall and more so by cutting off home internet and. downgrading data on my cell phone and relying more on my tablet. I have never paid for cable and use internet on my tablet for everything.
I would get this deal in a heartbeat if it weren't for the thought that I will be in a library most of the time during law school with access to wifi even more so if I happen to live on campus.
Any thoughts?
And if you don't live on campus how much do you spend on internet?

The wifi on campus is pretty good. About once a month I have trouble connecting and have to use their guest internet, which is painfully slow. Otherwise, though, I can usually pull down ~100Mbps.

I live off-campus, but have Harvard Housing which comes with the same free internet.


That's good to know! Thanks. Still debating if this is a worthwhile purchase. I checked with my carries and I could downgrade my iphone to $25/month with limited voice and unlimited texting. The ipad unlimited will come down to $30/month after I bite the initial cost.

User avatar
HorseThief
Posts: 713
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:45 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby HorseThief » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:16 pm

Harvette wrote:
HorseThief wrote:
Harvette wrote:How is internet service on and around campus. And who is the best carrier on campus? I am debating purchasing unlimited data plan for my tablet from a friend. This comes with substantial cost upfront but I can quickly recoup by the time I start law school in the fall and more so by cutting off home internet and. downgrading data on my cell phone and relying more on my tablet. I have never paid for cable and use internet on my tablet for everything.
I would get this deal in a heartbeat if it weren't for the thought that I will be in a library most of the time during law school with access to wifi even more so if I happen to live on campus.
Any thoughts?
And if you don't live on campus how much do you spend on internet?

The wifi on campus is pretty good. About once a month I have trouble connecting and have to use their guest internet, which is painfully slow. Otherwise, though, I can usually pull down ~100Mbps.

I live off-campus, but have Harvard Housing which comes with the same free internet.


That's good to know! Thanks. Still debating if this is a worthwhile purchase. I checked with my carries and I could downgrade my iphone to $25/month with limited voice and unlimited texting. The ipad unlimited will come down to $30/month after I bite the initial cost.


You could always just get a regular iPad with wifi, then use your phone to tether when you're without wifi. That would probably be the most economical solution.

Harvette
Posts: 265
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 2:21 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Harvette » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:30 pm

HorseThief wrote:
Harvette wrote:
HorseThief wrote:
Harvette wrote:How is internet service on and around campus. And who is the best carrier on campus? I am debating purchasing unlimited data plan for my tablet from a friend. This comes with substantial cost upfront but I can quickly recoup by the time I start law school in the fall and more so by cutting off home internet and. downgrading data on my cell phone and relying more on my tablet. I have never paid for cable and use internet on my tablet for everything.
I would get this deal in a heartbeat if it weren't for the thought that I will be in a library most of the time during law school with access to wifi even more so if I happen to live on campus.
Any thoughts?
And if you don't live on campus how much do you spend on internet?

The wifi on campus is pretty good. About once a month I have trouble connecting and have to use their guest internet, which is painfully slow. Otherwise, though, I can usually pull down ~100Mbps.

I live off-campus, but have Harvard Housing which comes with the same free internet.


That's good to know! Thanks. Still debating if this is a worthwhile purchase. I checked with my carries and I could downgrade my iphone to $25/month with limited voice and unlimited texting. The ipad unlimited will come down to $30/month after I bite the initial cost.


You could always just get a regular iPad with wifi, then use your phone to tether when you're without wifi. That would probably be the most economical solution.


Unfortunately there are no unlimited iphone data per se. Carriers are throttling iphone data on unlimited plans making them less economical than alternative options. A class action law suit against the carrier has kept the ipad from going through the same, at least with the carrier I use, which combined with other functions of the SIM card makes this a great deal if you can maintain the card in good standing. The only reason I am still debating this is the thought of making monthly paiement on the SIM card while I am spending most of my time in a library with readily available wifi for the next 3 years. I am just that frugal :-)

User avatar
MyNameIsFlynn!
Posts: 785
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:29 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:03 pm

Just to be clear, we already established that fred012 is a troll and is regurgitating common (and well-answered) questions to waste ya'lls time. I'm surprised some of you guys haven't caught on to this yet.

Harvette wrote:
HorseThief wrote:
Harvette wrote:How is internet service on and around campus. And who is the best carrier on campus? I am debating purchasing unlimited data plan for my tablet from a friend. This comes with substantial cost upfront but I can quickly recoup by the time I start law school in the fall and more so by cutting off home internet and. downgrading data on my cell phone and relying more on my tablet. I have never paid for cable and use internet on my tablet for everything.
I would get this deal in a heartbeat if it weren't for the thought that I will be in a library most of the time during law school with access to wifi even more so if I happen to live on campus.
Any thoughts?
And if you don't live on campus how much do you spend on internet?

The wifi on campus is pretty good. About once a month I have trouble connecting and have to use their guest internet, which is painfully slow. Otherwise, though, I can usually pull down ~100Mbps.

I live off-campus, but have Harvard Housing which comes with the same free internet.


That's good to know! Thanks. Still debating if this is a worthwhile purchase. I checked with my carries and I could downgrade my iphone to $25/month with limited voice and unlimited texting. The ipad unlimited will come down to $30/month after I bite the initial cost.


Paying for iPad data seems silly if you're gonna be living on campus (free wifi) and spending most of your time on campus (free wifi).

tomwatts
Posts: 1551
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:01 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby tomwatts » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:13 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:Paying for iPad data seems silly if you're gonna be living on campus (free wifi) and spending most of your time on campus (free wifi).

Yes, I think the three main questions to ask are:

1) Are you going to live in Harvard housing (dorms or apartments)? If so, you'll have wifi at home anyway.
2) Do you study in the library (or other public spaces, such as coffee shops)? If so, you'll have wifi when you study anyway. If not, home is all that matters.
3) Are you going to spend significant time in other places (e.g. you'll live far enough away that you'll have a commute and will want Internet during that commute)? If not, then you won't need to have data everywhere, just where you spend most of your time.

So, in my case, I've lived in the dorms throughout law school and study in my room. I need very little data during the year, because I'm basically always on wifi.

az21833
Posts: 1403
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:57 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby az21833 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:41 pm

what are the best supplements for property and legreg.. if any at all

fred013
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:45 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby fred013 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:49 pm

does pSW matter at all?

User avatar
fats provolone
Posts: 7125
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:44 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby fats provolone » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:51 pm

:lol:

politics89
Posts: 377
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:50 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby politics89 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:11 am

az21833 wrote:what are the best supplements for property and legreg.. if any at all


I used the e&e for property and liked it. Didn't use anything for legreg.

User avatar
Nonconsecutive
Posts: 2249
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Nonconsecutive » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:40 pm

Searched thread for answer, couldn't find one (or I missed it).

Does anyone know why grades come out so slowly at HLS, at least in comparison to other law schools? Is it because of the class size? Of course even GULC gets them out before us. I hadn't really thought about it much until I received an email from a professor earlier today where they said their grades were already submitted. Which made me wonder about why it is so far into January before we get them.

User avatar
fats provolone
Posts: 7125
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:44 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby fats provolone » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:46 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:Searched thread for answer, couldn't find one (or I missed it).

Does anyone know why grades come out so slowly at HLS, at least in comparison to other law schools? Is it because of the class size? Of course even GULC gets them out before us. I hadn't really thought about it much until I received an email from a professor earlier today where they said their grades were already submitted. Which made me wonder about why it is so far into January before we get them.

professors more full of themselves?

tomwatts
Posts: 1551
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:01 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby tomwatts » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:49 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:Does anyone know why grades come out so slowly at HLS, at least in comparison to other law schools? Is it because of the class size? Of course even GULC gets them out before us. I hadn't really thought about it much until I received an email from a professor earlier today where they said their grades were already submitted. Which made me wonder about why it is so far into January before we get them.

If I remember correctly, the deadline for professors to submit grades from last fall was January 5th, so yes, grades are supposed to be in at this point. There are two things that I know of that delay grades: 1) Some professors are late — sometimes super late — and they want to release 1L grades all at the same time (and don't want to release any other grades before 1L grades), and 2) I think the registrar actually checks to make sure that basic rules about grades have more or less been followed (the grade distribution, no DS's in small classes, etc.). If there are any F's, there are additional procedures that have to be followed, too.

But yeah, it does seem like they could release the grades a lot sooner than they actually do. I think 1) is responsible for it more than anything else.

acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:51 pm

A lot of other schools release grades as prof submits. We are somewhat unique in the batch release thing. Although I have had grades missing even after grade release before.

thechinaman12
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:55 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby thechinaman12 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:53 pm

GULC does not receive grades any sooner than H.

User avatar
Nonconsecutive
Posts: 2249
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Nonconsecutive » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:51 pm

fats provolone wrote:professors more full of themselves?


I think this is always a factor. :lol:

tomwatts wrote:
Nonconsecutive wrote:Does anyone know why grades come out so slowly at HLS, at least in comparison to other law schools? Is it because of the class size? Of course even GULC gets them out before us. I hadn't really thought about it much until I received an email from a professor earlier today where they said their grades were already submitted. Which made me wonder about why it is so far into January before we get them.

If I remember correctly, the deadline for professors to submit grades from last fall was January 5th, so yes, grades are supposed to be in at this point. There are two things that I know of that delay grades: 1) Some professors are late — sometimes super late — and they want to release 1L grades all at the same time (and don't want to release any other grades before 1L grades), and 2) I think the registrar actually checks to make sure that basic rules about grades have more or less been followed (the grade distribution, no DS's in small classes, etc.). If there are any F's, there are additional procedures that have to be followed, too.

But yeah, it does seem like they could release the grades a lot sooner than they actually do. I think 1) is responsible for it more than anything else.


acrossthelake wrote:A lot of other schools release grades as prof submits. We are somewhat unique in the batch release thing. Although I have had grades missing even after grade release before.


Thanks! I didn't realize that batch release wasn't the normal thing, so that alone explains part of it.

robotrick
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:53 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby robotrick » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:00 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:Searched thread for answer, couldn't find one (or I missed it).

Does anyone know why grades come out so slowly at HLS, at least in comparison to other law schools? Is it because of the class size? Of course even GULC gets them out before us. I hadn't really thought about it much until I received an email from a professor earlier today where they said their grades were already submitted. Which made me wonder about why it is so far into January before we get them.

I could obviously be wrong, but I figured there was a strategic element to it. HLS puts a lot of thought into the maintenance of the power of the name brand, right? So if grades come out later, people get a lot of their summer internship applications out, do phone interviews, etc, before grades are out. That way employers only have the school name and no way differentiate within the class (other than resumes). Name power preserved, mission accomplished.

That may or may not be a wild conspiracy theory.

politics89
Posts: 377
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:50 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby politics89 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:29 pm

Sooo are grades coming out on the 20th?

tomwatts
Posts: 1551
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:01 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby tomwatts » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:34 pm

politics89 wrote:Sooo are grades coming out on the 20th?

Can't tell if you're kidding, so... no. Probably a day between the 26th and the 29th. It's during the first week of Spring Term, anyway.

History:
Tuesday in 2014 (1/28/14)
Monday in 2013 (1/28/13)
Thursday in 2012 (1/26/12)
Thursday in 2011 (1/27/11)
Last edited by tomwatts on Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

politics89
Posts: 377
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:50 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby politics89 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:36 pm

tomwatts wrote:
politics89 wrote:Sooo are grades coming out on the 20th?

Can't tell if you're kidding, so... no. Probably a day between the 26th and the 29th. I think it's usually Monday or Tuesday of the first week of Spring Term, but it has been as late as Thursday.


I thought it would be then, but the OCS SIP guide seemed to say it would be the 20th.

tomwatts
Posts: 1551
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:01 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby tomwatts » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:48 pm

politics89 wrote:
tomwatts wrote:
politics89 wrote:Sooo are grades coming out on the 20th?

Can't tell if you're kidding, so... no. Probably a day between the 26th and the 29th. I think it's usually Monday or Tuesday of the first week of Spring Term, but it has been as late as Thursday.


I thought it would be then, but the OCS SIP guide seemed to say it would be the 20th.

You mean this (on page 2)? Yeah, I have no idea what that's about. I would frankly be shocked if grades came out on the 20th, but they do change things from time to time.

politics89
Posts: 377
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:50 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby politics89 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:49 pm

tomwatts wrote:
politics89 wrote:
tomwatts wrote:
politics89 wrote:Sooo are grades coming out on the 20th?

Can't tell if you're kidding, so... no. Probably a day between the 26th and the 29th. I think it's usually Monday or Tuesday of the first week of Spring Term, but it has been as late as Thursday.


I thought it would be then, but the OCS SIP guide seemed to say it would be the 20th.

You mean this (on page 2)? Yeah, I have no idea what that's about. I would frankly be shocked if grades came out on the 20th, but they do change things from time to time.


That is what I meant. Thanks!




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests