Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
tomwatts

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby tomwatts » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:35 pm

Pneumonia wrote:So there is an "EIP Prep" session the friday before EIP begins in August. It's only three hours long. Is it necessary to attend?

No. I didn't, and I didn't miss it. There's some discussion of its unnecessariness from last year.

CicerBRo wrote:When do grades for 2Ls and 3Ls come out? Same day as 1L grades, or are they released slowly but surely?

Usually the same day, unless a prof is slow.

EdSaid

Postby EdSaid » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:00 pm

Pneumonia wrote:So there is an "EIP Prep" session the friday before EIP begins in August. It's only three hours long. Is it necessary to attend?

It's really not necessary. It's not a complete waste of time because they have lawyers from firms come in and talk about the process, so there may be something useful there. The most valuable thing I got out of it was to use résumé paper (which is obvious but I had just forgotten). After last year's session, there was a long line at the Coop with people buying résumé paper, and the consensus was that was all we learned at the event.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:55 pm

EdSaid wrote:

It's really not necessary. It's not a complete waste of time because they have lawyers from firms come in and talk about the process, so there may be something useful there. The most valuable thing I got out of it was to use résumé paper (which is obvious but I had just forgotten). After last year's session, there was a long line at the Coop with people buying résumé paper, and the consensus was that was all we learned at the event.

Did you ever actually give out a resume? I got a couple sheets from a friend, but i didn't hand out a single resume so it was moot.

wwwcol

Postby wwwcol » Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:38 pm

TripTrip wrote:
EdSaid wrote:

Did you ever actually give out a resume? I got a couple sheets from a friend, but i didn't hand out a single resume so it was moot.

Idk how you got away w that. Probably half of my interviews wanted resumes and all my friends handed out a similarly large # of resumes. I also had one day where all the interviews wanted one, so would recommend having enough each day to cover the whole day. No need to print 25 or whatever at the beginning tho, just evaluate need day to day

Echo trip's sentiment that attending EIP prep sesh is unnecessary. It's more a hype event ("YOULL GET A JOB! You'll get a job! Everybody will get a job") than a learning one. Maybe useful to attend if u want reassurance that you're employable

Indigo12

Postby Indigo12 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:57 pm

For those who know about participating in the Spring Interview Program as 1Ls:

1. What kind of employers usually show up? Any firms/in-house counsels?
2. Is there prescreening? I ask not because I think my resume/1L fall transcript will definitely prescreen me out but because SIP, unlike EIP, coincides with the LLM academic year. So if there's no prescreening then an employer might burn a few interview slots with "err you're not quite what we're looking for." But if there is then no one's guaranteed an interview.
3. Is it geared toward 1Ls or are 1Ls also competing with LLMs, 3Ls, etc?

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:56 pm

A mix. Microsoft and some firms show up. Hogan Lovells showed up my 1L year. No prescreening. Mostly geared at 1Ls. I can't remember if there was anything for not 1Ls.

lawschoolboundfuture

Postby lawschoolboundfuture » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:09 am

When do 2L/3L grades come out?

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:51 pm

Probably the first week of spring semester like 1L grades. Some profs are occasionally delayed, but that's usually what happens.

bretby

Postby bretby » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:04 pm

Fred012 wrote:Will 3 H's first sem (assume 6 on the year) take any opportunities off the table? Feeder clerkships? Wachtell? Cravath?

I got 3 H's 1st sem and 3 2nd sem and when Cravath laughed me out of the room. Clerkships were a total no-go, so I didn't even bother. Sorry bro.

despina

Postby despina » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:43 pm

bretby wrote:
Fred012 wrote:Will 3 H's first sem (assume 6 on the year) take any opportunities off the table? Feeder clerkships? Wachtell? Cravath?

I got 3 H's 1st sem and 3 2nd sem and when Cravath laughed me out of the room. Clerkships were a total no-go, so I didn't even bother. Sorry bro.

I'm skeptical that clerkships would be a "total no-go" with 6 Hs for 1L year. Maybe not the most competitive circuit judges, but someone who has a broader search should be able to find something good with those grades.

Don't like to accuse anybody of being a troll, but bretby has never posted in an HLS thread before and posted a "where to apply?" thread in October of this year so... grain of salt?

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:42 pm

Bretby is trolling. 6Hs is more than necessary for Cravath.

bretby

Postby bretby » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:09 am

acrossthelake wrote:Bretby is trolling. 6Hs is more than necessary for Cravath.

I wouldn't even consider it trolling, I thought it was so obvious. But it is good to know there are still some (relatively) credulous people in the world. :D

hlsperson1111

Postby hlsperson1111 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:57 am

6 H's will disqualify you from most feeders and most selective COA judges. It will probably disqualify you from W&C, Munger, and super-elite lit boutiques with summer programs (Susman, Keker, etc.) It might disqualify you from Wachtell or some elite DC firms, depending on what else you bring to the table. It should not disqualify you from much else (certainly not Cravath), although you still need to bring your A-game 2L year if you're hoping to clerk.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:22 am

bretby wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:Bretby is trolling. 6Hs is more than necessary for Cravath.

I wouldn't even consider it trolling, I thought it was so obvious. But it is good to know there are still some (relatively) credulous people in the world. :D

The problem with 'obvious' statements is that these threads are often perused by those who are in the very beg. stages of learning which firms are which, what standards are what, etc., so they're likely to see it as a contradictory opinion instead of a joke. I think one of the biggest surprises for me when I started doing that sort of research was the extent to which good grades weren't necessary for most things, and I didn't fully "get it" until I actually witnessed first-hand people with fairly lacklustre grades kill it at EIP, and others with very strong grades (comparatively) bomb.

robotrick

Postby robotrick » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:44 pm

I didn't see any recent posts about this - how important are these 1L firm receptions I keep getting emails about? Like, if I absolutely hate those sorts of things (i.e. I won't make any lasting connections/impressions) will I be ok skipping them?

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:01 pm

robotrick wrote:I didn't see any recent posts about this - how important are these 1L firm receptions I keep getting emails about? Like, if I absolutely hate those sorts of things (i.e. I won't make any lasting connections/impressions) will I be ok skipping them?

I went to a grand total of zero. As far as I can tell, it had no effect on my chances at EIP.

I went to a regional market mixer once (which is kind of similar, but kind of not). It was professionally useless, though it was sort of fun to troll a real estate lawyer about what he did. Because he could not for the life of him explain what he did. And, because I knew I wasn't applying to his region, his firm, or his practice area, I could shamelessly keep asking him what the hell he actually did all day. (Not in exactly those words.) It was amusing, I guess.

I'm open to the idea that they might be good for something, but I have very little idea what that might be. (EDIT: "They" meaning receptions/mixers, not real estate lawyers. But now that you mention it....)

CicerBRo

Postby CicerBRo » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:19 pm

Didn't 2L and 3L grades come out earlier than 1L grades in the Spring last year? Is it different for the Fall for some reason?

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:40 pm

CicerBRo wrote:Didn't 2L and 3L grades come out earlier than 1L grades in the Spring last year? Is it different for the Fall for some reason?

Spring is different, because 3L grades have to be out before graduation, so because 2Ls and 3Ls generally are in the same classes, 2L/3L grades in general come out a few days before graduation (May 22 in 2014). But 1Ls have barely finished taking exams when 3Ls graduate, so 1L grades don't come out until the middle of June.

Fred012

Postby Fred012 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:41 am

are the firm receptions actually useless? can't you make good connections that you can email with later when your interviewing with the firm? and don't you get tidbits on the firm that you can't find online that you can spit back out during interviews?

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:12 am

Fred012 wrote:are the firm receptions actually useless? can't you make good connections that you can email with later when your interviewing with the firm? and don't you get tidbits on the firm that you can't find online that you can spit back out during interviews?

For most people, firm receptions are only useful to get free drinks and party afterwards with the younger associates. But for a few folks, firm receptions can be useful if you want to connect with a firm for a specific reason. So for example, if you want to get a feel for firms that practice in smaller cities [so outside of the usual NYC, DC, Chicago, San Fran, LA], they can be useful. But completely unnecessary for EIP, it's more for (1) free drinks (2) information gathering (3) possibilities for a 1L summer position [although mostly for diverse candidates]

Fred012

Postby Fred012 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:02 am

how do we schedule interviews during January? how important is PSW attendance?

Single-Malt-Liquor

Postby Single-Malt-Liquor » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:52 am

Fred012 wrote:how do we schedule interviews during January? how important is PSW attendance?

Attendance is pretty important. Talk to your prof if you have a conflict but know that every year a couple of people are made to retake the class because they missed a couple of classes. Also, they'll likely make you write a short paper on the topics of the day if you miss a class.

Fred012

Postby Fred012 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:38 pm

do ppl usually just schedule for feb then?

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:46 pm

Fred012 wrote:do ppl usually just schedule for feb then?

PSW is done by noon so you can still do them. Where are your interviews? If they're not on the east coast, they often do 1L summer interviews over the phone.

Fred012

Postby Fred012 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:10 pm

if its NYC/DC you can get from PSW down in time?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”