Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Fred012

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Fred012 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:19 pm

ok, hypothetically then for someone who gets that, does it close doors, 6Hs?

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:34 pm

Looking through the thread it seems like when you get the open memo back is largely dependent on your Climenko (in that it could be well before - or right with course grades), is that correct?

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:44 pm

tomwatts wrote:
MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:This is a really strange dialogue. What are the odds this is the same troll from before - 95%? 100%? Once again y'all, let's make sure not to respond to rabbit5000 or fred012.

I don't see anything wrong with rabbit5000's posts, and it's a common concern around this time, so here goes.

I would like to emphasize that I said that rabbit5000 seems fine, but I intentionally left out anything that I may have left out. Let's keep up the good work in that regard.
Nonconsecutive wrote:Looking through the thread it seems like when you get the open memo back is largely dependent on your Climenko (in that it could be well before - or right with course grades), is that correct?

Yes.

malleus discentium

Postby malleus discentium » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:55 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:Looking through the thread it seems like when you get the open memo back is largely dependent on your Climenko (in that it could be well before - or right with course grades), is that correct?

I asked my Climenko and he said it was Climenko policy to release them with grades.

pupshaw

Postby pupshaw » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:21 pm

Fred012 wrote:ok, hypothetically then for someone who gets that, does it close doors, 6Hs?

Yes.

rabbit5000

Postby rabbit5000 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:19 pm

When do 1Ls typically get grades?

Single-Malt-Liquor

Postby Single-Malt-Liquor » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:10 pm

End of Jan. Typically the first week of the spring term.

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:19 pm

Single-Malt-Liquor wrote:End of Jan. Typically the first week of the spring term.

Good to know! Thanks.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:47 pm

Fred012 wrote:
Single-Malt-Liquor wrote:
Fred012 wrote:Will 3 H's first sem (assume 6 on the year) take any opportunities off the table? Feeder clerkships? Wachtell? Cravath?

Seriously?

yes serious ?. I'm guessing thats where i end up based off discussions with other students in my section after exams.

This is the best thing ever.

EvelynS

Postby EvelynS » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:32 pm

I feel that I just totally failed my evidence exam. I mean seriously. I highly doubt if I got anything right. Does anyone know how frequently professors give F grades? Or do they prefer LP instead? I understand it is a total speculation since no one really know for sure (because no one will really share this info with other people), but I just need some small thread of hope. :cry:

despina

Postby despina » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:40 pm

EvelynS wrote:I feel that I just totally failed my evidence exam. I mean seriously. I highly doubt if I got anything right. Does anyone know how frequently professors give F grades? Or do they prefer LP instead? I understand it is a total speculation since no one really know for sure (because no one will really share this info with other people), but I just need some small thread of hope. :cry:

I have never heard of a prof giving a failing grade. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but it would be highly unusual.

The beauty of the curve is that if you walked out feeling like you got nothing right, chances are a number of other students felt the same way. You might even be surprised with an H.

And if you're talking about Whiting, I've already heard from several people that it was extremely challenging.

EvelynS

Postby EvelynS » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:20 pm

despina wrote:
EvelynS wrote:I feel that I just totally failed my evidence exam. I mean seriously. I highly doubt if I got anything right. Does anyone know how frequently professors give F grades? Or do they prefer LP instead? I understand it is a total speculation since no one really know for sure (because no one will really share this info with other people), but I just need some small thread of hope. :cry:

I have never heard of a prof giving a failing grade. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but it would be highly unusual.

The beauty of the curve is that if you walked out feeling like you got nothing right, chances are a number of other students felt the same way. You might even be surprised with an H.

And if you're talking about Whiting, I've already heard from several people that it was extremely challenging.

Thank you so much!!!! I just needed some cheering right about now. At this point I just hope I passed. I don't ask for anything more.

nerd1

Postby nerd1 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:27 pm

Last edited by nerd1 on Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fred012

Postby Fred012 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm

section 3 what what

kfischm1

Postby kfischm1 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:52 pm

despina wrote:

Also in Whiting and didn't finish the exam. I only got through half of the 25 short answer questions (umm how is that 25 questions though when half of them have parts a, b, c, d, and e?!?!?! wtf) and then did the two policy questions because I thought that would be a better use of my time points-wise. I talked to someone else who didn't finish either b/c of time so didn't even do the policy questions. Obviously this is all anecdotal, but from what I've heard in general, it's not uncommon for people to not finish his exam.

Anyway, for what it is worth, I haven't heard of people failing in general at HLS. LPs occasionally in some courses, but not failing. (There was a rumor last year about some 3L in our 1L property class, that she had failed or something before so that's why she was in it, but I'm pretty sure it had nothing to do with the crazy reasons people said/speculated/gossiped about and had to do with taking a semester off for personal reasons). Most people who have received an LP at some point aren't on TLS bragging about it. I had one LP last year and while I'm not proud of it, I deserved it and am upfront about the fact I got it. But we are at HLS -- we've been the "best of the best" in high school, college, etc., and are now thrown in together. Someone has to be at the bottom. That doesn't make it any easier, but also is understandable why it is hard for people to admit they didn't excel for once, or worse, really messed up. It wasn't until I mentioned my LP among my friends did a couple of them admit that they also received an LP in a course.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:02 am

despina wrote:I have never heard of a prof giving a failing grade. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but it would be highly unusual.

Likewise here. The only F's I've heard of are heard-through-the-grapevine stories, rather than real things that I know happened to actual people. I've heard that the Dean actually has to sign off on F's, and that you basically have to not take the exam, leave it blank, write one sentence saying "Screw you prof!!!", or the like.

I remembered, with the LP discussion, a story I can't remember if I've told on TLS. There was student in a 1L section that a friend of mine was in, and he was trying to ask a prof in class about grades. Ultimately it became clear that he was trying to ask whether the prof gave LP's. The way he phrased the question was, "What do you do about LP's?" The prof looked him in the eye and replied, in a deep and firm voice, "I weep over them."

As is only appropriate, I suspect.

EvelynS

Postby EvelynS » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:41 am

kfischm1 wrote:
despina wrote:

Also in Whiting and didn't finish the exam. I only got through half of the 25 short answer questions (umm how is that 25 questions though when half of them have parts a, b, c, d, and e?!?!?! wtf) and then did the two policy questions because I thought that would be a better use of my time points-wise. I talked to someone else who didn't finish either b/c of time so didn't even do the policy questions. Obviously this is all anecdotal, but from what I've heard in general, it's not uncommon for people to not finish his exam.

Anyway, for what it is worth, I haven't heard of people failing in general at HLS. LPs occasionally in some courses, but not failing. (There was a rumor last year about some 3L in our 1L property class, that she had failed or something before so that's why she was in it, but I'm pretty sure it had nothing to do with the crazy reasons people said/speculated/gossiped about and had to do with taking a semester off for personal reasons). Most people who have received an LP at some point aren't on TLS bragging about it. I had one LP last year and while I'm not proud of it, I deserved it and am upfront about the fact I got it. But we are at HLS -- we've been the "best of the best" in high school, college, etc., and are now thrown in together. Someone has to be at the bottom. That doesn't make it any easier, but also is understandable why it is hard for people to admit they didn't excel for once, or worse, really messed up. It wasn't until I mentioned my LP among my friends did a couple of them admit that they also received an LP in a course.

I totally agree. Whiting's idea of 25 questions was way off. Simple math is not his forte (that's me being sarcastic). I hope he realizes that the number of questions he gave us was way too many for a 3 hr exam. I feel a little bit better right now since I see some people did not finish his final exam either. I think I was just in shock after I left the exam. Like what just happened?

Anyways, thank you guys for all of your responses.

Fred012

Postby Fred012 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:05 am

kfischm1 wrote:
despina wrote:

sounds like LPs are actually a lot more common than people would like to admit then?

hlsperson1111

Postby hlsperson1111 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:42 am

I took an exam my 1L year where I did only four of the six short-answer questions, walked outside, and chain-smoked four cigarettes in a row. I then went indoors to take the take-home portion. I discovered that half the test was on a subject that we covered on the day I decided to nurse a hangover instead of showing up to class.

I did not fail and did not get an LP. Odds are you didn't either.

permapress

Postby permapress » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:44 pm

sorry to derail the convo, but what's the standard operating procedure to getting an RA? stalk the admin updates board? email profs?

kfischm1

Postby kfischm1 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:18 pm

Fred012 wrote:
kfischm1 wrote:
despina wrote:

sounds like LPs are actually a lot more common than people would like to admit then?

I wouldn't go as far to say a lot more common. But it isn't quite a mythical unicorn as a lot of people make it sound. I personally know of three other people besides myself who have an LP. Then again, maybe my friend group just happens to make up the entire LP population at HLS. And in case anyone is worried about the effect on the job search, we have all secured 2L summer employment, both in the private and public sectors.

kfischm1

Postby kfischm1 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:27 pm

permapress wrote:sorry to derail the convo, but what's the standard operating procedure to getting an RA? stalk the admin updates board? email profs?

It kind of depends. Some people approach professors they've had a class with and get them informally when a position wasn't really ever posted. Other professors use the administrative updates and have a more formal application process, like when they need a handful of RAs to edit their book. Sometimes positions will be shared on list serves for student organizations or programs of study that are related to the topic. So I guess it kind of depends on if you have an idea of what you are looking for in an RA position, like working with a specific professor or subject area, want a one-on-one experience, or just looking for any RA position in general.

mino

Postby mino » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:17 am

permapress wrote:sorry to derail the convo, but what's the standard operating procedure to getting an RA? stalk the admin updates board? email profs?

I got one through answering a post on the admin board. However I have talked to a couple other professors and they've all said to just email them and say you're interested and ask for a meeting to discuss working for them as an RA. From the way professors have talked about it, it seems like they pick up anyone who seems interested.

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:34 pm

So there is an "EIP Prep" session the friday before EIP begins in August. It's only three hours long. Is it necessary to attend?

CicerBRo

Postby CicerBRo » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:00 pm

When do grades for 2Ls and 3Ls come out? Same day as 1L grades, or are they released slowly but surely?

Thanks.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”