Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
TripTrip

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby TripTrip » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:08 pm

+1 LRW counts the same for everything except Latin honors.

Fred012

Postby Fred012 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:26 pm

more and more students are skipping the reading or skipping class in order to outline and spend more time studying for finals. how should we be thinking about this? are they getting a step up on us and should we be following suit? or are they being led astray?

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:39 pm

Fred012 wrote:more and more students are skipping the reading or skipping class in order to outline and spend more time studying for finals. how should we be thinking about this? are they getting a step up on us and should we be following suit? or are they being led astray?

paranoid brah? chill. dont care about what other people are doing.

despina

Postby despina » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:35 pm

BlakcMajikc wrote:
Fred012 wrote:more and more students are skipping the reading or skipping class in order to outline and spend more time studying for finals. how should we be thinking about this? are they getting a step up on us and should we be following suit? or are they being led astray?

paranoid brah? chill. dont care about what other people are doing.

My $0.02 as expressed elsewhere in this thread (and with the usual disclaimer that you should do what works for you and that my advice might not apply to your study style):

Skipping class to outline is silly unless the prof's lecture makes literally zero sense to you.

Spending a lot of time outlining before Thanksgiving is not necessary. Lots of 1Ls (myself included) started outline the Sunday after Thanksgiving and did just fine. Doesn't hurt to start a little before Thanksgiving but I wouldn't feel like you're behind if you're not.

Fred012

Postby Fred012 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:06 pm

recommendations on BLL vs elective 1L year? Corps/Tax/ConLaw or Law and X seminar?

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:10 pm

Fred012 wrote:recommendations on BLL vs elective 1L year? Corps/Tax/ConLaw or Law and X seminar?

Please, please start using the search function.

MyNameIsFlynn!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:39 pm

Pneumonia wrote:
Fred012 wrote:recommendations on BLL vs elective 1L year? Corps/Tax/ConLaw or Law and X seminar?

+1

This thread has been painful to read for the last ten or so pages.

I don't understand how this guy made it to Harvard Law. He seems incapable of making any decision by himself, no matter how insignificant, or even searching out the information necessary to make any decision.

codyoneill

Postby codyoneill » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:04 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:

+1

I don't understand how this guy made it to Harvard Law. He seems incapable of making any decision by himself, no matter how insignificant, or even searching out the information necessary to make any decision.

Fred doesn't go here. All his posts indicate he's a troll.

MyNameIsFlynn!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:27 pm

codyoneill wrote:
MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:

+1

Fred doesn't go here. All his posts indicate he's a troll.

That's what I suspected, but I don't understand why the regulars ITT keep responding to his inane questions.

Fred012

Postby Fred012 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:06 pm

umm, how would i know all these questions to ask if i didn't even go here? obviously i do - we receive our intl course results tomorrow and have to submit our electives (5-10 preferences) by next weds in HELIOS so i am asking about how to think about the decision. i will spend some more time on the thread but obviously i go here...

Mr. Elshal

Postby Mr. Elshal » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:23 pm

Fred012 wrote:umm, how would i know all these questions to ask if i didn't even go here? obviously i do - we receive our intl course results tomorrow and have to submit our electives (5-10 preferences) by next weds in HELIOS so i am asking about how to think about the decision. i will spend some more time on the thread but obviously i go here...

You can probably understand why somebody would think you are a troll. Your questions have all been answered ad nauseam. The assumption that people in the thread are making is that anybody who attends HLS could probably figure out how to use the search function or navigate to previous posts. Thus, seeing as how you have not been able to figure this out despite being prodded to, and seeing as how you have asked every question except for the right one (which would be "how do I use the search function?"), it is hard for some people to believe you were able to get to HLS. I, personally, believe you go here. I just think you've been using the forum incorrectly.

PS: In the menu bar, near the top of this webpage, you will see a button that says "Forum Search". Play around with the options in there until you find the info you want/need. It gets easier with practice and soon you'll be able to pull up answers to all your questions, because people have been asking the same ones every semester.

Fred012

Postby Fred012 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:06 pm

thank you, that's very helpful!

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:28 am

TLS pro tip: use Google search by site and throw the thread ID in the search bar in quotes to look for answers to specific questions within a specific thread.

For example:

Code: Select all

site:top-law-schools.com "t=141188" spring elective

https://www.google.com/search?q=site:to ... g+elective <--Shows every page of this thread where spring electives were discussed.

Mr. Elshal

Postby Mr. Elshal » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:30 pm

TripTrip wrote:TLS pro tip: use Google search by site and throw the thread ID in the search bar in quotes to look for answers to specific questions within a specific thread.

For example:

Code: Select all

site:top-law-schools.com "t=141188" spring elective

https://www.google.com/search?q=site:to ... g+elective <--Shows every page of this thread where spring electives were discussed.

That's cool. Thanks a lot!

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:39 pm

It is my understanding that we will be paired with a partner for spring semester LRW in order to write an appellate brief? What are the dynamics of this, good/bad experiences, advice etc.? How are partners assigned? Any info about the brief in general is appreciated; I'm just curious. Thanks!

pupshaw

Postby pupshaw » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:05 pm

Pneumonia wrote:It is my understanding that we will be paired with a partner for spring semester LRW in order to write an appellate brief? What are the dynamics of this, good/bad experiences, advice etc.? How are partners assigned? Any info about the brief in general is appreciated; I'm just curious. Thanks!

You can choose your own partner, but if you don't then you'll be (I think randomly?) assigned one.

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:24 pm

pupshaw wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:It is my understanding that we will be paired with a partner for spring semester LRW in order to write an appellate brief? What are the dynamics of this, good/bad experiences, advice etc.? How are partners assigned? Any info about the brief in general is appreciated; I'm just curious. Thanks!

You can choose your own partner, but if you don't then you'll be (I think randomly?) assigned one.

Is the brief basically the project for the semester or is it something that doesn't really get worked on until April?

MyNameIsFlynn!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:41 pm

Pneumonia wrote:
pupshaw wrote:

Is the brief basically the project for the semester or is it something that doesn't really get worked on until April?

The brief is the project for the semester, but if you're asking about the temporal distribution of work, the LRW program tries to make you work on it over the course of the semester by creating artificial deadlines ("outline deadline"; "rough draft deadline"; "peer review deadlines") at which you'll have to present some work product. Having said that, you do yourself a favor by putting real effort into the preliminary checkpoints instead of getting serious just before the final brief is due.

delusional

Postby delusional » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:58 am

delusional wrote:
RedShift wrote:
liammial wrote:Why sift through 145 pages of information (even with the search feature) when I could get an up-to-date response to all of my questions with no work?

No work for you. The current students have already done the work of answering those questions. And the information is hardly out of date - people have asked those questions this cycle.
I am a 3L who has attempted both asked and answered a lot of those questions. In defense of those people asking the same questions all over again, the idea that the information exists is only part of what people are looking for when they participate in a topic like this. Asking questions and getting answers from people who are live and participating, and are likely to share both the campus and the TLS topic for a bit of the future is part of the purpose of TLS (or should be). There is nothing wrong with someone preferring to engage with someone who had a meeting with financial services last week over finding an old answer from someone who got financial aid in 2008. If people don't want to type out the answers again then no one is forcing them to.
Used the search function, found what I was looking for.

Fred012

Postby Fred012 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:06 pm

delusional wrote:
delusional wrote:
RedShift wrote:
liammial wrote:Why sift through 145 pages of information (even with the search feature) when I could get an up-to-date response to all of my questions with no work?

No work for you. The current students have already done the work of answering those questions. And the information is hardly out of date - people have asked those questions this cycle.
I am a 3L who has attempted both asked and answered a lot of those questions. In defense of those people asking the same questions all over again, the idea that the information exists is only part of what people are looking for when they participate in a topic like this. Asking questions and getting answers from people who are live and participating, and are likely to share both the campus and the TLS topic for a bit of the future is part of the purpose of TLS (or should be). There is nothing wrong with someone preferring to engage with someone who had a meeting with financial services last week over finding an old answer from someone who got financial aid in 2008. If people don't want to type out the answers again then no one is forcing them to.
Used the search function, found what I was looking for.

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:11 am

Hey folks. I've used the search function, and have found some info, but not a ton.

Analytical Methods w/ Cope. People are giving me conflicting information.

Is it easy? Is it hard? Does a finance background help? Or do a ton of finance-background people come into it thinking they too will have an advantage, and mess w/ the curve? Do firms/government/judges look down on you for taking it, especially if it's clear you had a finance background coming into LS?

In other words, is it a dumb strategy to take this class thinking it will help lighten my 1L Spring?

Fred012

Postby Fred012 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:39 am

i can't imagine you will be doing yourself too much favor taking the ONE chance you have to study WHATEVER you want during 1L at HARVARD LAW SCHOOL by choosing to learn something you have already learned before in order to get an H. What is an employer/judge supposed to think?

defer to older students though

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:21 am

Can't speak to the class itself, but:
Fred012 wrote:i can't imagine you will be doing yourself too much favor taking the ONE chance you have to study WHATEVER you want during 1L at HARVARD LAW SCHOOL by choosing to learn something you have already learned before in order to get an H. What is an employer/judge supposed to think?

This is just Fred012 trolling. If there's a class you think you can get an H in for a spring 1L elective, you should definitely do it. An extra H before EIP is worth more than any other possible benefit you could receive from a spring elective unless a professor literally hires you to work at Wachtell because you enrolled in his course.

Of course, predicting what courses you can get an H in is a whole different story.

Fred012

Postby Fred012 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:52 pm

i do not troll. As to the substance of your response rather than the ad hominem attack:

i mean its all on a curve anyway so how are any classes materially easier than others? just because the other kids in the class are dumber? don't see how this applies at a place like HLS

pupshaw

Postby pupshaw » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:02 pm

Seminars and smaller classes are not curved.
Last edited by pupshaw on Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”