Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
acrossthelake

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby acrossthelake » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:11 pm

FTR, in discussing with some friends from my section which class we thought was most useful post-grad, LegReg seems to be winning out.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:00 pm

Fred012 wrote:is there any differentiation among intl law courses in terms of workload, difficulty or grading scale? any easier ways to an H or particularly difficult ones? clearly the case with electives and everybody its talking about it but none of the 1Ls have any clue on the intl laws (me included)

The grade distribution is the same in every large class. It's conceivably possible that some classes will be significantly skewed with lower-performing students, so the grade distribution turns out to be easier because you're with people who are dumber, or whatever. But that seems pretty unlikely in the international law classes. So no, there's no "easy H" in international law.

I have no idea how the workload varies from class to class, but you may want to check, e.g., the HLSDope professor evals.

I took Alford's China class, and while it was maybe 25% over my head (I have no background in China at all), it's heavily outlined by previous students and very well taught and interesting.

MyNameIsFlynn!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:38 pm

Lovely Ludwig Van wrote:Anybody taken Judge Sutton's State Constitutional Law or Peter Carfagna's Sports Law over J-term? Would greatly appreciate your thoughts.

Also interested in thoughts on either of these.

t-14orbust

Postby t-14orbust » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:09 pm

Is the masterclass on networking worth attending?

Fred012

Postby Fred012 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:17 pm

t-14orbust wrote:Is the masterclass on networking worth attending?

if ur k-jd

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:25 pm

Fred012 wrote:

if ur k-jd

didn't realize you'd been

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:44 am

I found it vaguely amusing. There were a couple of tips that I wouldn't have thought of otherwise. But my networking in law school has never been at the kind of cocktail parties that they had in mind — it's been blind emails to HLS alums or people who do things that I'm interested in. (This works surprisingly well.)

The event is more or less as helpful as you'd expect such a thing to be. It's not completely pointless, but if you have something better to do, don't worry about skipping it.

Also, if you are actually super shy or know that you're kind of awkward in these sorts of settings, it might be good practice in a non-judgmental environment. It is actually a pretty safe space, or at least it was 3 years ago.

Single-Malt-Liquor

Postby Single-Malt-Liquor » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:37 am

Not k-JD but still found it worthwhile.

t-14orbust

Postby t-14orbust » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:04 pm

I'm not going to make it, so if anyone would be so kind as to share some not-so-common knowlege about networking they learned at the masterclass, I would appreciate it.

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:03 pm

t-14orbust wrote:I'm not going to make it, so if anyone would be so kind as to share some not-so-common knowlege about networking they learned at the masterclass, I would appreciate it.

I got you. There was no knowledge, just bottomless beers and food. The speaker actually gave some bad advice imo, but the event was fun. So basically you only missed some fun.

Fred012

Postby Fred012 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:14 pm

what was the bad advice?

robotrick

Postby robotrick » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:42 am

Pneumonia wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:I'm not going to make it, so if anyone would be so kind as to share some not-so-common knowlege about networking they learned at the masterclass, I would appreciate it.

I got you. There was no knowledge, just bottomless beers and food. The speaker actually gave some bad advice imo, but the event was fun. So basically you only missed some fun.

There were a few small tips that I can see being at least somewhat useful in certain situations, but I agree that some of the advice was kind of strange (e.g. I'm definitely not keeping a database of people I meet). Overall, you didn't miss much t-14.

Didn't stay for the food/beer so I can't comment on that.

LawzGurl

Postby LawzGurl » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:04 am

Holla I want to go to Harvard I have a 2.8 and 144 lsat test can I come please

Fred012

Postby Fred012 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:34 am

LawzGurl wrote:Holla I want to go to Harvard I have a 2.8 and 144 lsat test can I come please

retake

EliPedDH

Postby EliPedDH » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:06 am

The presentation consists of mostly common sense stuff. When the same guy came to my Ivy UG, I did attend because the program was actually set up as a well catered event consisting of mingling, hors d'oeuvres, steak dinner, and dessert. Not sure why the same event is so watered down at HLS.

CicerBRo

Postby CicerBRo » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:12 pm

EliPedDH wrote:

The presentation consists of mostly common sense stuff. When the same guy came to my Ivy UG, I did attend because the program was actually set up as a well catered event consisting of mingling, hors d'oeuvres, steak dinner, and dessert. Not sure why the same event is so watered down at HLS.

Yeah didn't miss much bruh/brah.

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:15 pm

I am now feeling much better about not going to Masterclass in favor of something I actually wanted to.

Fred012

Postby Fred012 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:55 pm

what do you guys use to outline? class notes? hornbook? casebook? supplements?

Thanks!

wwwcol

Postby wwwcol » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:17 pm

Fred012 wrote:what do you guys use to outline? class notes? hornbook? casebook? supplements?

Thanks!

You should use the search function instead of making new posts in this thread. Every single question you've asked here has been well covered.

Thanks!

Mr. Elshal

Postby Mr. Elshal » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:11 am

Does anyone know about Alan Stone's course, Law, Psychology, and Morality: An Exploration through Film?

The course catalog says it meets from 5pm-9:15pm, with a 15 minute break, on Thursdays, and students must write 5 short papers, but the class is only worth 2 credits. I am intrigued but suspicious.

despina

Postby despina » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:21 am

Mr. Elshal wrote:Does anyone know about Alan Stone's course, Law, Psychology, and Morality: An Exploration through Film?

The course catalog says it meets from 5pm-9:15pm, with a 15 minute break, on Thursdays, and students must write 5 short papers, but the class is only worth 2 credits. I am intrigued but suspicious.

Helios says the class meets: Th 5:00pm - 7:00pm; Th 7:15pm - 9:15pm

Probably one of those times is a showing of that week's film, and the other time is for the class itself?

Searchparty

Postby Searchparty » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:48 pm

Is there such a thing as working for a NYC law firm and leaving work at 5pm? Specific firm names welcome.

Not really interested in the money (although in NYC prefer ~$90k), just interested in actually having a life outside of work and being able to cook dinner every (most) night. Non firm example jobs in NYC also welcome.

Fred012

Postby Fred012 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:39 pm

Searchparty wrote:Is there such a thing as working for a NYC law firm and leaving work at 5pm? Specific firm names welcome.

Not really interested in the money (although in NYC prefer ~$90k), just interested in actually having a life outside of work and being able to cook dinner every (most) night. Non firm example jobs in NYC also welcome.

new yorkers do not live this way

heythatslife

Postby heythatslife » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:39 pm

Searchparty wrote:Is there such a thing as working for a NYC law firm and leaving work at 5pm? Specific firm names welcome.

Sounds like you should be shooting for fed govt jobs, not law firms

Fred012

Postby Fred012 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:57 pm

or maybe...say..milwaukee? pittsburgh? cincinnati?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”