Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Single-Malt-Liquor

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Single-Malt-Liquor » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:08 am

How boring is taxation? Particularly with Shay. I need to take it at some point and am thinking of just saying screw it and doing it this semester. I'm also going to be taking corps and secured transactions.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:58 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
Mr. Elshal wrote:Has anyone taken Corps with Fried or Coates? Or Tax with Halperin, Kaplow, or Shay? I know all these professors have horrible reviews but is it worth waiting until Spring 2015 to take Corps or Taxes just to avoid these guys? I have already taken Corporations and Taxation in undergrad, so I do have some background in the material.

I had Shay for PSW, so perhaps the experience in his Tax class is different, but I will say he was extremely boring during PSW. He liked to repeat himself an excessive number of times and often brought up anecdotes that were a) not particularly relevant to the subject and b) boring. I think it would be a struggle to take a subject like Tax with him.

ETA: Just looked on HLSDope and he is the 4th lowest-ranked prof on "Makes class interesting" ... seems about right lol.

I have no firsthand knowledge of Shay, but this was posted earlier in this topic.

Lovely Ludwig Van

Postby Lovely Ludwig Van » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:28 pm

Looking for a 3 or 2-unit course to fill up my schedule. Any suggestions for an easy H?

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:56 pm

Single-Malt-Liquor wrote:How boring is taxation? Particularly with Shay. I need to take it at some point and am thinking of just saying screw it and doing it this semester. I'm also going to be taking corps and secured transactions.

Don't do it, man. Just don't do it. I've heard Secured Transactions with Kaufman is pretty bad too.

Also that semester sounds like absolute shit - unless you're into all that stuff.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:58 pm

TripTrip wrote:
nothingtosee wrote:Is it possible to be a research assistant 1L?

Is it foolish to be a research assistant 1L?

Don't do it first semester. Second you can give it a go.

This is credited, especially because you can lighten your schedule during the spring with a 2-credit joke seminar.

jrf12886

Postby jrf12886 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:50 pm

I very much regret taking Tax. Unless you plan to practice tax law or something involving lots of tax issues, I would avoid all the tax professors.

nothingtosee

Postby nothingtosee » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:45 pm

Do 1L's sign up for reading groups?

If so, when?

Searchparty

Postby Searchparty » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:17 am

Doorkeeper wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
nothingtosee wrote:Is it possible to be a research assistant 1L?

Is it foolish to be a research assistant 1L?

Don't do it first semester. Second you can give it a go.

This is credited, especially because you can lighten your schedule during the spring with a 2-credit joke seminar.

Also really depends on what the professor wants from you. If you're up front about how many hours you want to work and the professor is okay with it, then fine. When I saw a posting for a position that was relevant to my background I just jumped on it. Don't pick up a position just to be an RA. Pick something you want to learn more about. Some RA postings will specifically say 1Ls can apply, in which case the professor probably understands not to give you too much to do.

nothingtosee wrote:Do 1L's sign up for reading groups?

If so, when?

First week of classes was when registration was opened. Don't worry, you'll get an email when time comes.

Searchparty

Postby Searchparty » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:45 am

jasper09 wrote:Not to derail the journal conversation, but serious question for the HLS ladies: where do you go to get your hair cut? I've had terrible luck with places like Hair Cuttery because my hair is utterly unruly so I'd prefer someplace where they know how to handle it. TYIA

This was posted so far back in the thread I didn't want to post a reply, but I went to Judy Jetson (or something like that) just north of the school and it's an odd place and I've only been once, but I really liked it. The prices vary by the person who does your hair (look online to see their names). I had the cheapest person for just a basic hair cut, which was something like $50 or $60 if I recall correctly, but it included a wash and a blow dry. I would definitely go there again.

charlie.black

Postby charlie.black » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:46 pm

Can you get supplements from the library, or is it best to buy them? Thanks.

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:30 pm

jasper09 wrote:Not to derail the journal conversation, but serious question for the HLS ladies: where do you go to get your hair cut? I've had terrible luck with places like Hair Cuttery because my hair is utterly unruly so I'd prefer someplace where they know how to handle it. TYIA

Just as a btw, ladies if you are thrifty my SO is a hairdresser / cosmetologist as well. She's really good and really cheap (in the above capacity). PM anytime in the next three years if interested.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:44 pm

Pneumonia wrote:

Just as a btw, ladies if you are thrifty my SO is a hairdresser / cosmetologist as well. She's really good and really cheap (in the above capacity). PM anytime in the next three years if interested.

Welcome to Pneumonia's Murder House.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:45 pm

Searchparty wrote:

This was posted so far back in the thread I didn't want to post a reply, but I went to Judy Jetson (or something like that) just north of the school and it's an odd place and I've only been once, but I really liked it. The prices vary by the person who does your hair (look online to see their names). I had the cheapest person for just a basic hair cut, which was something like $50 or $60 if I recall correctly, but it included a wash and a blow dry. I would definitely go there again.

Nobody answered the question, so this is probably useful. Just to make it obvious that I didn't ignore the question--I have no idea. My friends and I tended to cut our hair during break when we were back in our hometowns. Also I have really easy hair that's difficult to mess up, so I have no idea what a good place is.

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:22 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:

Lol but for real, she will only murder your split ends

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:12 am

Pneumonia wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:

Lol but for real, she will only murder your split ends

So, just to be clear, murder is on the table then?

juzam_djinn

Postby juzam_djinn » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:40 pm

what does it mean when the required course material is a "binder"

for instance, for evidence w/ Feinberg, the listed material is the Green, Nesson Binder. Do we buy this at a particular book store or pick it up somewhere on campus? TYIA

zidane13

Postby zidane13 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:16 pm

juzam_djinn wrote:what does it mean when the required course material is a "binder"

for instance, for evidence w/ Feinberg, the listed material is the Green, Nesson Binder. Do we buy this at a particular book store or pick it up somewhere on campus? TYIA

I called the HLS COOP about this today - they have it in stock there.

jasper09

Postby jasper09 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:47 pm

Thanks for all the stylist replies, y'all! Pneumonia...provided she will only murder my split ends, I think I might take you up on that...

Also, what on earth do people wear for the field games? I'm having trouble picking out an outfit that works for both the volunteer things and outdoor activities...

juzam_djinn

Postby juzam_djinn » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:01 pm

zidane13 wrote:
juzam_djinn wrote:what does it mean when the required course material is a "binder"

I called the HLS COOP about this today - they have it in stock there.

appreciate the answer, thanks again

despina

Postby despina » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:11 pm

Last year, the Feinberg "binder" was crazy expensive. The textbook was out of print, but I bought a copy of it online for less than $20.

Also, there is an online guide that explains the rationale behind all of the questions, and explains all the answers. Extremely helpful when prepping for when you're the "counselor of the day" (on call). http://www.law.harvard.edu/publications ... mintro.htm

HorseThief

Postby HorseThief » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:00 pm

Does the library have copies of textbooks? Ie, if my book won't get here before the first day of classes, can I find a copy in the library?

delusional

Postby delusional » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:11 pm

HorseThief wrote:Does the library have copies of textbooks? Ie, if my book won't get here before the first day of classes, can I find a copy in the library?
They do but they only have a couple and for 1L courses there can be 300 people using the same textbook. Borrowing from a friend is a better bet.

Single-Malt-Liquor

Postby Single-Malt-Liquor » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:14 pm

I think you can return a book to the COOP for a full refund within 24 hours. Not the classiest of options but desperate times...

Searchparty

Postby Searchparty » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:21 pm

Single-Malt-Liquor wrote:I think you can return a book to the COOP for a full refund within 24 hours. Not the classiest of options but desperate times...

Is it 24 hours now? Last semester it was at the end of add/drop, which I think is something like the Wednesday after classes begin.

Last semester I bought a book that was taking too long to arrive and used it for the first day of class then returned it.

Single-Malt-Liquor

Postby Single-Malt-Liquor » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:41 pm

Searchparty wrote:
Single-Malt-Liquor wrote:I think you can return a book to the COOP for a full refund within 24 hours. Not the classiest of options but desperate times...

Is it 24 hours now? Last semester it was at the end of add/drop, which I think is something like the Wednesday after classes begin.

Last semester I bought a book that was taking too long to arrive and used it for the first day of class then returned it.

You're probably right about the return times.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”