Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
TheMostDangerousLG
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:17 pm

wert3813 wrote:
Mr. Elshal wrote:
TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Blergh, hope I don't waste a ton of car space w/ the futon only to find out it won't fit. The joys of doing all of your moving with just a Prius. >.<


In the standard that I lived in last year, given the furniture they included and the fact that it took up all the wall space, I think a futon would have used way too much of the remaining space in the room. If I remember correctly, the room was about 240 sq. ft., and it was roughly square shaped. However, one entire wall was taken up by the front door and the closet doors, so it could not be blocked. Another wall was used up completely by built-in shelves, the bathroom door, and my dresser. The third wall was just wide enough for my bed, nightstand, and desk. The fourth wall had a table and a chair and not much room for anything else.

You can definitely fit some of the furniture in the closet (maybe even the dresser, but I cannot vouch for that), but the room will probably be uncomfortably tight. Have you posted the (approximate) dimensions of the futon?

Yeah, I mean, no doubt in my mind that a futon will fit in your room. It may be laughably cramped though.


Oh, blargh. Guess it better be left at home then. Too bad, would be much more useful than a breakfast table. It's the length of a normal three-seat couch (er, sorry that's not terribly specific, but basically: it's big), so I'm guessing it won't fit.

Thanks (as always) for the advice, everyone!

tomwatts
Posts: 1551
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:01 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby tomwatts » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:22 am

It seems weird to me to bring a futon (or any of your own furniture, really) to a hotel room.

lawlorbust
Posts: 265
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:50 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby lawlorbust » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:40 am

wert3813 wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:If you want to do public interest, it's a good idea to do the section rep thing. If you plan to do the firm thing, leave that opportunity to people who need it (those doing public interest).


why is this?

User avatar
TheMostDangerousLG
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:41 am

tomwatts wrote:It seems weird to me to bring a futon (or any of your own furniture, really) to a hotel room.


I take it you are not a fan of North Hall.

ETA: On a totally different note, do I need to bring a suit to school? Am I actually going to need one at any point in the first semester?
Last edited by TheMostDangerousLG on Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2739
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby TripTrip » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:44 am

tomwatts wrote:It seems weird to me to bring a futon (or any of your own furniture, really) to a hotel room.

tcr.

The only rooms that need furniture are the type 5 and 6 Gropius rooms.

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:
tomwatts wrote:It seems weird to me to bring a futon (or any of your own furniture, really) to a hotel room.


I take it you are not a fan of North Hall.

North hall is just a refurbished hotel.

User avatar
TheMostDangerousLG
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:46 am

TripTrip wrote:
TheMostDangerousLG wrote:
tomwatts wrote:It seems weird to me to bring a futon (or any of your own furniture, really) to a hotel room.


I take it you are not a fan of North Hall.

North hall is just a refurbished hotel.


Yeah, but generally people don't live in hotels for nine months, so there's at least one functional difference.

User avatar
heythatslife
Posts: 897
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:18 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby heythatslife » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:58 am

lawlorbust wrote:
wert3813 wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:If you want to do public interest, it's a good idea to do the section rep thing. If you plan to do the firm thing, leave that opportunity to people who need it (those doing public interest).


why is this?

Because most firms pay for your bar prep course anyway.

tachikara
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:28 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby tachikara » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:28 am

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:ETA: On a totally different note, do I need to bring a suit to school? Am I actually going to need one at any point in the first semester?


I would bring the suit. There are various recruiting events that you might want to attend as a 1L. Most of these are stacked during J Term and Spring Semester, but there are a few during fall semester that you may want to dress up for.

User avatar
yomisterd
Posts: 1556
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:52 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby yomisterd » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:33 am

tachikara wrote:
TheMostDangerousLG wrote:ETA: On a totally different note, do I need to bring a suit to school? Am I actually going to need one at any point in the first semester?


I would bring the suit. There are various recruiting events that you might want to attend as a 1L. Most of these are stacked during J Term and Spring Semester, but there are a few during fall semester that you may want to dress up for.


Is a suit necessary? Could I cut it with slacks, shirt, and tie?

(asking because losing weight and don't want to buy a new suit just yet)

User avatar
wert3813
Posts: 1408
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:29 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby wert3813 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:51 am

lawlorbust wrote:
wert3813 wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:If you want to do public interest, it's a good idea to do the section rep thing. If you plan to do the firm thing, leave that opportunity to people who need it (those doing public interest).


why is this?

If you go a law firm, which most of you/us will, the firm covers your bar course, bar fees, moving expenses and like a million other things. PI people have to pay all that which goes into the 1000s out of pocket. Thus leave the free thing for being a section rep to someone who isn't going to a firm.

User avatar
wert3813
Posts: 1408
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:29 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby wert3813 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:52 am

tachikara wrote:
TheMostDangerousLG wrote:ETA: On a totally different note, do I need to bring a suit to school? Am I actually going to need one at any point in the first semester?


I would bring the suit. There are various recruiting events that you might want to attend as a 1L. Most of these are stacked during J Term and Spring Semester, but there are a few during fall semester that you may want to dress up for.

You will need a suit second semester. If you are actually gonna lose weight and want to wait you can.

tomwatts
Posts: 1551
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:01 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby tomwatts » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:53 am

yomisterd wrote:
tachikara wrote:
TheMostDangerousLG wrote:ETA: On a totally different note, do I need to bring a suit to school? Am I actually going to need one at any point in the first semester?


I would bring the suit. There are various recruiting events that you might want to attend as a 1L. Most of these are stacked during J Term and Spring Semester, but there are a few during fall semester that you may want to dress up for.


Is a suit necessary? Could I cut it with slacks, shirt, and tie?

(asking because losing weight and don't want to buy a new suit just yet)

You won't need a suit immediately. I think I didn't have a suit until second semester, or at least until late first semester.

User avatar
wert3813
Posts: 1408
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:29 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby wert3813 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:54 am

yomisterd wrote:
tachikara wrote:
TheMostDangerousLG wrote:ETA: On a totally different note, do I need to bring a suit to school? Am I actually going to need one at any point in the first semester?


I would bring the suit. There are various recruiting events that you might want to attend as a 1L. Most of these are stacked during J Term and Spring Semester, but there are a few during fall semester that you may want to dress up for.


Is a suit necessary? Could I cut it with slacks, shirt, and tie?

(asking because losing weight and don't want to buy a new suit just yet)

I know of at least one LRW professor who required a suit for a meeting with him first semester. Yeah it was as dumb as you think. He's gone so you want have him, but it's conceivable something like that could happen.

User avatar
TheMostDangerousLG
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:10 pm

wert3813 wrote:I know of at least one LRW professor who required a suit for a meeting with him first semester. Yeah it was as dumb as you think. He's gone so you want have him, but it's conceivable something like that could happen.


That is—and I choose my words wisely here—Ridonkey Kong. :shock:

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2739
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby TripTrip » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:49 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:
wert3813 wrote:I know of at least one LRW professor who required a suit for a meeting with him first semester. Yeah it was as dumb as you think. He's gone so you want have him, but it's conceivable something like that could happen.


That is—and I choose my words wisely here—Ridonkey Kong. :shock:

180 word choice.

User avatar
acrossthelake
Posts: 4432
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby acrossthelake » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:04 pm

The mall isn't that far away if you need a suit on short notice.

User avatar
Mr. Elshal
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:30 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Mr. Elshal » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:03 pm

acrossthelake wrote:The mall isn't that far away if you need a suit on short notice.


I say wait it out until second semester and if you have an event first semester that requires a suit and you can't cut it with slacks, shirt, and tie, just head to the mall and purchase the cheapest suit that fits you properly (and then buy a better one for second semester and keep the cheap one as backup).

User avatar
acrossthelake
Posts: 4432
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby acrossthelake » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:23 pm

Mr. Elshal wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:The mall isn't that far away if you need a suit on short notice.


I say wait it out until second semester and if you have an event first semester that requires a suit and you can't cut it with slacks, shirt, and tie, just head to the mall and purchase the cheapest suit that fits you properly (and then buy a better one for second semester and keep the cheap one as backup).


And for those wondering about shopping, there's an Ann Taylor in Harvard Square, though their selection seems more aimed at the ladies. Then there's Cambridgeplace or whatever that you can walk to from Kendall Square which has J Crew, Banana, etc. The clothes there aren't as nice, but it'll work for a jiffy. If you want nicer clothes, head to the Prudential Center in downtown Boston.

If you already own a suit, you might as well bring it, but I'd wait on purchasing one unless there's some great sale at the moment. I used my suit for mock interviews 1st semester, but I easily could've borrowed a suit jacket from a friend for a 20min mock interview if I had to.

User avatar
wert3813
Posts: 1408
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:29 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby wert3813 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:31 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
Mr. Elshal wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:The mall isn't that far away if you need a suit on short notice.


I say wait it out until second semester and if you have an event first semester that requires a suit and you can't cut it with slacks, shirt, and tie, just head to the mall and purchase the cheapest suit that fits you properly (and then buy a better one for second semester and keep the cheap one as backup).


And for those wondering about shopping, there's an Ann Taylor in Harvard Square, though their selection seems more aimed at the ladies. Then there's Cambridgeplace or whatever that you can walk to from Kendall Square which has J Crew, Banana, etc. The clothes there aren't as nice, but it'll work for a jiffy. If you want nicer clothes, head to the Prudential Center in downtown Boston.

If you already own a suit, you might as well bring it, but I'd wait on purchasing one unless there's some great sale at the moment. I used my suit for mock interviews 1st semester, but I easily could've borrowed a suit jacket from a friend for a 20min mock interview if I had to.

Yeah the mall has a men's warehouse. Like a 6 dollar uber

User avatar
heythatslife
Posts: 897
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:18 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby heythatslife » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:26 pm

I'm considering getting a phone with Virgin Mobile, which piggybacks off Sprint network. Does anyone have experience with Sprint reception in the area?

User avatar
Mr. Elshal
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:30 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Mr. Elshal » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:44 pm

heythatslife wrote:I'm considering getting a phone with Virgin Mobile, which piggybacks off Sprint network. Does anyone have experience with Sprint reception in the area?


I don't but I do know that T-Mobile is ok but not great. I almost always have service when I want it (except in law school buildings) but tons of people tell me their calls to me don't go through.

Unless you hear similar things about Sprint, I recommend against T-Mobile

tomwatts
Posts: 1551
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:01 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby tomwatts » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:50 pm

I had Sprint for a couple of years in Cambridge. No complaints, other than that the dorms are bunkers that don't receive much cell service generally. I didn't make a lot of conventional calls, though (more FaceTime and Skype), so there may be areas with less cell service that I didn't notice.

The whole campus is blanketed in wifi, so data is pretty much irrelevant most of the time, but I felt as though Sprint data was sort of slow when I did (rarely) have to use it.
Last edited by tomwatts on Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2739
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby TripTrip » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:44 pm

heythatslife wrote:I'm considering getting a phone with Virgin Mobile, which piggybacks off Sprint network. Does anyone have experience with Sprint reception in the area?

Sprint works just fine.

Source: Lived in Gropius, have Virgin Mobile cell phone.

cway
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:42 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby cway » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:30 pm

Does anybody know how flexible Rubenstein is about missing class? If you tell him in advance and it's not often, etc etc

User avatar
t-14orbust
Posts: 2065
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby t-14orbust » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:42 pm

If I have Wells Fargo, should I open another bank account? Don't remember seeing any ATMs or branches around the area.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media, zot1 and 2 guests