Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
wert3813
Posts: 1408
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:29 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby wert3813 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:07 am

Pneumonia wrote:
wert3813 wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:Do ya'll have any iPad apps that you find particularly useful or would recommend?

Like in life?


Well I'm open to general recs I suppose, but what I should have included in the above is that I'm mostly looking for apps related to law school (PDF view/edit, note taking, law dictionaries, etc.)

dropbox? I love my ipad but have found it to be pretty meh for input (note taking, typing, research, etc.). That said if you previously use an ipad to work on then go for it. The most I ever used my ipad for school is I would occasionally read an outline off of it at a restaurant if I didn't want to luge my computer or paper copy. If you live in a dorm an Ipad can be pretty awesome to watch stuff while you do work on your computer.

User avatar
TheMostDangerousLG
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:11 am

Mr. Elshal wrote:
TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Does anyone know if each North room has a desk and a table, as the pics on the HLS housing site show, or just a desk? (I'm hoping to bring a futon and am hoping the room isn't already crowded with unnecessary furniture..)


North rooms have a pretty random selection of furniture. I know of people who had the following configurations last year, all in the "Standard" room:
1) Desk, small table, and two chairs
2) Desk, really large table, and two chairs
3) Desk, no table, and two chairs
4) Desk, [either table], and one chair

The furniture also didn't match from room to room, and sometimes even within the same room, but they're doing some work on North now, so I don't know if that includes a furniture update.

The only thing you can probably count on is that you will have at least a bed, a desk, a chair, and a dresser.


Oh, my. I guess it'll be a surprise. Too bad they don't just reliably give us the bed, desk, chair, dresser setup so people can move in their own stuff (seriously, why would I need two of those crummy dorm chairs?). Thanks for the info!

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2738
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby TripTrip » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:00 am

Mr. Elshal wrote:The furniture also didn't match from room to room, and sometimes even within the same room, but they're doing some work on North now, so I don't know if that includes a furniture update.

Can confirm that there's a furniture update in North. They at least brought in hundreds (or it seemed like hundreds because it took them all day) of identical desk chairs like the ones in Gropius.

Source: the view from my living room is North Hall.

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Doorkeeper » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:06 pm

Geortumpen wrote:I'm not sure if this has already been answered elsewhere, and I apologize if it has. Here goes:

1. I'm going straight in to HLS school from undergrad. I'm worried though that all the people that have taken time off before law school will have all those extra years of accomplishments to brag about when they apply for clerkships, law firm jobs, and SCOTUS clerkships. Is this a serious disadvantage to me? Generally speaking, if you want a SCOTUS clerkship, feeder clerkship, or really top-tier firm is it a good idea to take gap years before law school, and what sort of things should you seek to do in those gap years?

2. A lot has been made of having professors/deans/judges "go to bat for you" to get clerkship recs. Obviously this entails getting said professors/deans/judges to like you, and this entails interacting with them and creating relationships. Some of this I'm sure will happen naturally (i.e. you have a class with said professor and thus naturally form a relationship). But other times it will likely have to be purposeful on one's part. Here's my question-- do Professors/Deans/Judges ever make a concerted effort to block people from getting COA or SCOTUS clerkships? Because if they rarely will do anything BAD to keep you from getting a clerkship, then the risk of approaching/networking with a professor is essentially 0. But if they do often block people then this makes the manner in which you approach and network much more important.

Yea, you need to stop mentioning SCOTUS in everything you type here. It's so adorable - I love 0L naivety.

Re 1: Going straight through will not hurt you for clerkships, and its effect is small in EIP. Having interesting work experience can be a plus, but not having any going into EIP isn't actively a minus for a student. If you have the grades and can interview well, then it won't be a problem.

Re 2: Yes, I have heard of professors actively blocking students from clerkships. It is rare though and the student had to actively fuck up the relationship. Don't do shitty RA work for a professor and then turn around and ask them to recommend you for a COA judge. He/she is going to be honest and/or damn you with faint praise.

User avatar
TheMostDangerousLG
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:12 pm

TripTrip wrote:
Mr. Elshal wrote:The furniture also didn't match from room to room, and sometimes even within the same room, but they're doing some work on North now, so I don't know if that includes a furniture update.

Can confirm that there's a furniture update in North. They at least brought in hundreds (or it seemed like hundreds because it took them all day) of identical desk chairs like the ones in Gropius.

Source: the view from my living room is North Hall.


Oooo, this is very exciting news. :)

ETA: Was this recently that you saw them moving in chairs? Please keep us updated if you see any other furniture movings. :D

politics89
Posts: 377
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:50 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby politics89 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:41 pm

Have we heard anything about signing up for reading groups yet? Just making sure I didn't miss it. Thanks!

User avatar
acrossthelake
Posts: 4432
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:12 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:Yea, you need to stop mentioning SCOTUS in everything you type here. It's so adorable - I love 0L naivety.

Re 1: Going straight through will not hurt you for clerkships, and its effect is small in EIP. Having interesting work experience can be a plus, but not having any going into EIP isn't actively a minus for a student. If you have the grades and can interview well, then it won't be a problem.

Re 2: Yes, I have heard of professors actively blocking students from clerkships. It is rare though and the student had to actively fuck up the relationship. Don't do shitty RA work for a professor and then turn around and ask them to recommend you for a COA judge. He/she is going to be honest and/or damn you with faint praise.


I once talked with someone who once had to sift through clerkship apps, it seems sometimes ppl get hurt by profs just because the prof maintains a standard. As in, a certain prof often serves as a recommender for many students to a particular judge--will just rank them against each other. A lot of "student is great, but this other student is better". He said it was surprisingly common.

User avatar
malleus discentium
Posts: 878
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 2:30 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby malleus discentium » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:35 pm

Now that it's open, does anyone know the extent and character of North Hall renovations? How reliable are the pictures on the housing website?

EdSaid
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:18 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby EdSaid » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:57 pm

politics89 wrote:Have we heard anything about signing up for reading groups yet? Just making sure I didn't miss it. Thanks!


If you mean the 1L reading groups, it wasn't until a week or so into school last year that they sent out the list of reading groups. Then there was about a week to review it and then you bid on your top 3 (maybe 5?).

User avatar
sjgonzalez3
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:10 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby sjgonzalez3 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:36 pm

So somewhere back around page 158 there was a bit of discussion about winter apparel. Getting a coat hasn't been that daunting; but, shopping for boots has been a bit more of a headache.

I unfortunately set myself up for a mile walk (one-way) each day for class, so from what I've heard proper footwear is going to be crucial to my happiness (and attendance).

Upon investigating the suggested "LL Bean boots", it turns out winter boots are much more diverse than I'd hoped haha. Does anybody have any more specific suggestions for shoe style given my long hike each day (fuzzy lining/insulation or too warm, long walk comfort, not being laughed out of class, etc.)?

Also, I'm a Male form Southern CA (hence my lack of knowledge). Thanks in advance!

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2738
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby TripTrip » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:13 pm

sjgonzalez3 wrote:So somewhere back around page 158 there was a bit of discussion about winter apparel. Getting a coat hasn't been that daunting; but, shopping for boots has been a bit more of a headache.

I unfortunately set myself up for a mile walk (one-way) each day for class, so from what I've heard proper footwear is going to be crucial to my happiness (and attendance).

Upon investigating the suggested "LL Bean boots", it turns out winter boots are much more diverse than I'd hoped haha. Does anybody have any more specific suggestions for shoe style given my long hike each day (fuzzy lining/insulation or too warm, long walk comfort, not being laughed out of class, etc.)?

Also, I'm a Male form Southern CA (hence my lack of knowledge). Thanks in advance!

A mile walk? Ok, the cold should be #3 on your list of concerns. The order should be thus:

1. Waterproof to at least two inches from the bottom.
2. Comfort.
3. Keeps out the cold.
4. Style

To that end, a lot of people just straight up wear rainboots for a significant portion of the winter. Boston is above freezing during the day. This means cold deep puddles everywhere, everyday.

No one will ever laugh at you for a smart footwear choice. Get whatever is comfortable and meets the criteria above. Most boots (anything above the ankle) will serve fairly well.

User avatar
HorseThief
Posts: 713
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:45 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby HorseThief » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:50 pm

Winters at my undergrad hit -30 every year and I never wore boots. Worry about getting something waterproof and put on 1-2 pairs of wool socks. It won't be nearly as bad as you think.

tachikara
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:28 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby tachikara » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:54 pm

Ditto on the waterproof. You'll be navigating huge puddles of cold water when it rains.

User avatar
TheMostDangerousLG
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:49 am

Edit: Nvm, found my answers.

User avatar
sjgonzalez3
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:10 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby sjgonzalez3 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:44 pm

Anybody have any first or second hand experience on what becoming a Barbri section representative is like?

Seems like a pretty decent perk getting a free prep course after 3L.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2738
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby TripTrip » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:52 pm

sjgonzalez3 wrote:Anybody have any first or second hand experience on what becoming a Barbri section representative is like?

Seems like a pretty decent perk getting a free prep course after 3L.

Sending out emails to your section and tabling a couple times per semester.

delusional
Posts: 1190
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby delusional » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:38 pm

sjgonzalez3 wrote:Anybody have any first or second hand experience on what becoming a Barbri section representative is like?

Seems like a pretty decent perk getting a free prep course after 3L.
If you are planning/likely to work for a firm it doesn't matter (except maybe it's tax deductible?). FWIW, I think people in my section were mildly annoyed at the constant emails. I did not engage with Barbri until the MPRE and 2.5 years of emails seemed to be overkill in informing me who to get the book from. If you don't want to be that guy, maybe take that part into account.

User avatar
acrossthelake
Posts: 4432
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby acrossthelake » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:25 pm

If you want to do public interest, it's a good idea to do the section rep thing. If you plan to do the firm thing, leave that opportunity to people who need it (those doing public interest).

User avatar
wert3813
Posts: 1408
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:29 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby wert3813 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:44 pm

acrossthelake wrote:If you want to do public interest, it's a good idea to do the section rep thing. If you plan to do the firm thing, leave that opportunity to people who need it (those doing public interest).

Gallivant
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:53 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Gallivant » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:11 pm

malleus discentium wrote:Now that it's open, does anyone know the extent and character of North Hall renovations? How reliable are the pictures on the housing website?


Rooms have updated furniture: a very nice full-size bed with a firm mattress and storage drawers underneath, a bedside table, a nice sized desk, a breakfast/kitchen round table, three chairs (two around the table and one swivel one for the desk), a nice set of shelves in the nooks, and a large dresser.
All the furniture matches and is a dark brown wood pattern with black accents; handles for drawers are stainless steel.
Overall, fairly elegant in my opinion.

User avatar
TheMostDangerousLG
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:28 pm

Gallivant wrote:
malleus discentium wrote:Now that it's open, does anyone know the extent and character of North Hall renovations? How reliable are the pictures on the housing website?


Rooms have updated furniture: a very nice full-size bed with a firm mattress and storage drawers underneath, a bedside table, a nice sized desk, a breakfast/kitchen round table, three chairs (two around the table and one swivel one for the desk), a nice set of shelves in the nooks, and a large dresser.
All the furniture matches and is a dark brown wood pattern with black accents; handles for drawers are stainless steel.
Overall, fairly elegant in my opinion.


Woh, can we get a pic? Also, is there still room for a futon? Sounds like a lot of stuff.

User avatar
wert3813
Posts: 1408
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:29 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby wert3813 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:40 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:
Gallivant wrote:
malleus discentium wrote:Now that it's open, does anyone know the extent and character of North Hall renovations? How reliable are the pictures on the housing website?


Rooms have updated furniture: a very nice full-size bed with a firm mattress and storage drawers underneath, a bedside table, a nice sized desk, a breakfast/kitchen round table, three chairs (two around the table and one swivel one for the desk), a nice set of shelves in the nooks, and a large dresser.
All the furniture matches and is a dark brown wood pattern with black accents; handles for drawers are stainless steel.
Overall, fairly elegant in my opinion.


Woh, can we get a pic? Also, is there still room for a futon? Sounds like a lot of stuff.

Lived there last year. This doesn't sound like more furniture, just nicer furniture, so if you thought a futon would fit before it probably still will. I'm iffy though on whether I think a futon will fit. Drawers under the bed sounds really nice though.

User avatar
TheMostDangerousLG
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:10 pm

Blergh, hope I don't waste a ton of car space w/ the futon only to find out it won't fit. The joys of doing all of your moving with just a Prius. >.<

User avatar
Mr. Elshal
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:30 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Mr. Elshal » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:30 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Blergh, hope I don't waste a ton of car space w/ the futon only to find out it won't fit. The joys of doing all of your moving with just a Prius. >.<


In the standard that I lived in last year, given the furniture they included and the fact that it took up all the wall space, I think a futon would have used way too much of the remaining space in the room. If I remember correctly, the room was about 240 sq. ft., and it was roughly square shaped. However, one entire wall was taken up by the front door and the closet doors, so it could not be blocked. Another wall was used up completely by built-in shelves, the bathroom door, and my dresser. The third wall was just wide enough for my bed, nightstand, and desk. The fourth wall had a table and a chair and not much room for anything else.

You can definitely fit some of the furniture in the closet (maybe even the dresser, but I cannot vouch for that), but the room will probably be uncomfortably tight. Have you posted the (approximate) dimensions of the futon?

User avatar
wert3813
Posts: 1408
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:29 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby wert3813 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:35 pm

Mr. Elshal wrote:
TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Blergh, hope I don't waste a ton of car space w/ the futon only to find out it won't fit. The joys of doing all of your moving with just a Prius. >.<


In the standard that I lived in last year, given the furniture they included and the fact that it took up all the wall space, I think a futon would have used way too much of the remaining space in the room. If I remember correctly, the room was about 240 sq. ft., and it was roughly square shaped. However, one entire wall was taken up by the front door and the closet doors, so it could not be blocked. Another wall was used up completely by built-in shelves, the bathroom door, and my dresser. The third wall was just wide enough for my bed, nightstand, and desk. The fourth wall had a table and a chair and not much room for anything else.

You can definitely fit some of the furniture in the closet (maybe even the dresser, but I cannot vouch for that), but the room will probably be uncomfortably tight. Have you posted the (approximate) dimensions of the futon?

Yeah, I mean, no doubt in my mind that a futon will fit in your room. It may be laughably cramped though.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests