Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
dirkgently

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby dirkgently » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:09 am

TripTrip wrote:
dirkgently wrote:Should there be enough time to move into Gropius and then go shopping for a minifridge and some other basic supplies on the same day? I'm driving up the East Coast on the 24th and can't decide if I should leave on the 23rd instead.

Yes, but why not just order your minifridge on Amazon and have it waiting at your dorm when you get there?

Hmm, not a bad idea. By the way, what would be a good size? I heard the communal fridges and freezers can get a little packed

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:58 am

dirkgently wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
dirkgently wrote:Should there be enough time to move into Gropius and then go shopping for a minifridge and some other basic supplies on the same day? I'm driving up the East Coast on the 24th and can't decide if I should leave on the 23rd instead.

Yes, but why not just order your minifridge on Amazon and have it waiting at your dorm when you get there?

Hmm, not a bad idea. By the way, what would be a good size? I heard the communal fridges and freezers can get a little packed

You're allowed up to 4 cubic feet (like this one), not that your RA would ever enter your room to measure your mini fridge. I had a 3.3 or 3.5 last year and it worked fine. I kept a half gallon of milk, meat, cheese, a gallon of water, yogurt, etc. in there just fine.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:46 pm

I got this one (LinkRemoved). It's a little small, but the separate freezer is a big plus.

lawlorbust

Postby lawlorbust » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:25 am

Last edited by lawlorbust on Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:47 am

lawlorbust wrote:I think 3.4 was the GPA of his Master's degree. He's rated superior on his undergrad degree which is the best possible grade.

Oh, duh. I read "MS" as "BS" and got very confused.

No one cares about your Master's GPA. It's your undergrad GPA that they care about.

delusional

Postby delusional » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:03 pm

Single-Malt-Liquor wrote:
TripTrip wrote:Prior student outlines from that professor are where it's at.

TITCR

Professors change very little. Even the jokes they tell during specific lessons. Do the readings and get a previous year's outline. Profit.

It's worse than that. I noticed a professor making a joke his professor had made.

Note: use your judgment. For professors with no good outlines available, it can be better to use a commercial outline than a bad one. Also, it sucks to spend money for a good student outline on sites like Outline Depot when there are ten mediocre ones on the school sites. Two options: Upload outlines to Outline Depot early in the semester so you will have the credits when the end comes. Alternative: Suck it up. If Outline Depot has a substantially better outline, it's worth the fourteen bucks.

jrf12886

Postby jrf12886 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:02 pm

Make your own outlines. If you can't bear to do that, ACS has a great bank. I'd never pay for an outline.
Last edited by jrf12886 on Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

wealtheow

Postby wealtheow » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:56 am

any swimmers/gym rats who can attest to the ease of getting lane time at the two pools? times of the day to avoid? is there a URL for the hours that actually works (all the links seem broken)? etc. etc. thanks :)

jasper09

Postby jasper09 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:13 pm

Also wondering about fitness stuff- how are the group exercise classes?

And anybody play tennis? I looked at the tennis club's website but it hasn't been updated since 2005 :shock: I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to pay the $50 for a season pass at Beren or just stick to $10/court reservation.

webbdp3

Postby webbdp3 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:51 pm

If any 2L or 3Ls have an off street parking spot near the law school that they are looking to lease shoot me a pm.

Iuso

Postby Iuso » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:26 am

wealtheow wrote:any swimmers/gym rats who can attest to the ease of getting lane time at the two pools? times of the day to avoid? is there a URL for the hours that actually works (all the links seem broken)? etc. etc. thanks :)

I second the question on best times for swimming. As far as hours go, it doesn't look like they have the official schedule up for this fall, but going by last spring (http://recreation.gocrimson.com/recreation/hours) it looks like the Malkin Pool opens between 7 and 7:30am and closes between 5-7pm on weekdays and goes 9am-1pm on weekends.

appind

Postby appind » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:29 pm

lawlorbust wrote:
tomwatts wrote:I mean, Georgetown just came to mind because I ran your numbers at LSAC's Official Guide (this is a good resource for the schools it includes because LSAC has better data than anyone else) and it was telling me that you had an outside chance (like, 20-25%) at schools like Cornell, Vanderbilt, etc. Georgetown is about the same level of selectivity but is the top law school in DC (so some of its grads stay in DC and work in government). I don't really know the details of this, so it would bear further investigation if you decided to go that route.

Um, wait. It's really, really different if you have a 3.4 or if you have a 4.0. You're still not getting into HLS this year, but on a retake, you'd have a really good shot if you scored, say, 173 and had a 4.0 GPA (whereas a 173 and 3.4 is still not getting in). I have no idea what goes on with international GPAs, but you'll want to check on that, because that really changes things.

I think 3.4 was the GPA of his Master's degree. He's rated superior on his undergrad degree which is the best possible grade. I think he'll be fine if he retakes the LSAT and does well, assuming admissions overlooks him taking it four times.

To the poster -- did you gain US citizenship at some point in time? If not, I'm just not sure how feasible gaining a "federal regulatory" position will be. Have you also thought about whether your intended career paths actually require a law degree?

(please don't quote, tia)
I am a naturalized citizen. I do not think any such positions require high level security clearance which i don't have.
I think these positions may not require law degree but a jd will be looked at more favorably than an mpp all through the career but i may be wrong. Also doesn't jd provide more flexibility in terms of paths one can take? A jd doesn't disqualify one from an mpp position but the opposite is probably not true.

malleus discentium

Postby malleus discentium » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:57 pm

Is the storage (in North, at least) only for the summer? This page (LinkRemoved) doesn't explicitly say, but I get overtones that it's summer storage for people living in the dorms the fall after.

t-14orbust

Postby t-14orbust » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:16 pm

Can anyone help me out in locating resources to buy used books from 2/3Ls? thanks bunches :)

Geortumpen

Postby Geortumpen » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:34 pm

I'm not sure if this has already been answered elsewhere, and I apologize if it has. Here goes:

1. I'm going straight in to HLS school from undergrad. I'm worried though that all the people that have taken time off before law school will have all those extra years of accomplishments to brag about when they apply for clerkships, law firm jobs, and SCOTUS clerkships. Is this a serious disadvantage to me? Generally speaking, if you want a SCOTUS clerkship, feeder clerkship, or really top-tier firm is it a good idea to take gap years before law school, and what sort of things should you seek to do in those gap years?

2. A lot has been made of having professors/deans/judges "go to bat for you" to get clerkship recs. Obviously this entails getting said professors/deans/judges to like you, and this entails interacting with them and creating relationships. Some of this I'm sure will happen naturally (i.e. you have a class with said professor and thus naturally form a relationship). But other times it will likely have to be purposeful on one's part. Here's my question-- do Professors/Deans/Judges ever make a concerted effort to block people from getting COA or SCOTUS clerkships? Because if they rarely will do anything BAD to keep you from getting a clerkship, then the risk of approaching/networking with a professor is essentially 0. But if they do often block people then this makes the manner in which you approach and network much more important.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:26 pm

Geortumpen wrote:I'm not sure if this has already been answered elsewhere, and I apologize if it has. Here goes:

1. I'm going straight in to HLS school from undergrad. I'm worried though that all the people that have taken time off before law school will have all those extra years of accomplishments to brag about when they apply for clerkships, law firm jobs, and SCOTUS clerkships. Is this a serious disadvantage to me? Generally speaking, if you want a SCOTUS clerkship, feeder clerkship, or really top-tier firm is it a good idea to take gap years before law school, and what sort of things should you seek to do in those gap years?

2. A lot has been made of having professors/deans/judges "go to bat for you" to get clerkship recs. Obviously this entails getting said professors/deans/judges to like you, and this entails interacting with them and creating relationships. Some of this I'm sure will happen naturally (i.e. you have a class with said professor and thus naturally form a relationship). But other times it will likely have to be purposeful on one's part. Here's my question-- do Professors/Deans/Judges ever make a concerted effort to block people from getting COA or SCOTUS clerkships? Because if they rarely will do anything BAD to keep you from getting a clerkship, then the risk of approaching/networking with a professor is essentially 0. But if they do often block people then this makes the manner in which you approach and network much more important.

Re question 2. I mean. No! What would you have to do to have a professor go torched Earth in an effort to KEEP you from getting a clerkship? cheat? You're getting kicked out anyway. Sleep with someone's wife? Maybe. Besides how would they even know you are applying for a clerkship if you don't tell them? What I'm sure happens on rare occasions is judge sees that you've taken professor X who he knows. He cold calls professor X to ask about you. Professor X hesitates to give you a strong endorsement. Judge knows what that means.

EijiMiyake

Postby EijiMiyake » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:36 pm

wert3813 wrote:
Geortumpen wrote:I'm not sure if this has already been answered elsewhere, and I apologize if it has. Here goes:

Re question 2. I mean. No! What would you have to do to have a professor go torched Earth in an effort to KEEP you from getting a clerkship? cheat? You're getting kicked out anyway. Sleep with someone's wife? Maybe. Besides how would they even know you are applying for a clerkship if you don't tell them? What I'm sure happens on rare occasions is judge sees that you've taken professor X who he knows. He cold calls professor X to ask about you. Professor X hesitates to give you a strong endorsement. Judge knows what that means.

Is that why david boies never clerked?

Iuso

Postby Iuso » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:11 pm

So for HLS Housing, the manual prohibits "lofted beds." Does that mean absolutely no bed risers of any kind or does it just prohibit the traditional "loft bed" that is five feet off the floor?

And just as a general question, does anyone have any recommendations for utilizing vertical space in the Gropius dorms?

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:34 pm

Iuso wrote:So for HLS Housing, the manual prohibits "lofted beds." Does that mean absolutely no bed risers of any kind or does it just prohibit the traditional "loft bed" that is five feet off the floor?

And just as a general question, does anyone have any recommendations for utilizing vertical space in the Gropius dorms?

The ceilings are pretty low, so there's not much to work with. The beds have drawers in the bottom already so you can use the under-bed space. The walls usually have shelves up high.

jrf12886

Postby jrf12886 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:43 pm

1. While work experience can be helpful for all the things you mentioned, it's certainly not a requirement. I don't think anyone would take time off to work solely because they wanted to increase their chances of getting a feeder/SCOTUS clerkship. Basically to get those you will need to do extremely well in law school.

2. No, I've never heard of anything like that happening.

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:19 pm

Does anyone know if each North room has a desk and a table, as the pics on the HLS housing site show, or just a desk? (I'm hoping to bring a futon and am hoping the room isn't already crowded with unnecessary furniture..)

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:45 pm

Do ya'll have any iPad apps that you find particularly useful or would recommend?

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:05 am

Pneumonia wrote:Do ya'll have any iPad apps that you find particularly useful or would recommend?

Like in life?

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:35 am

wert3813 wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:Do ya'll have any iPad apps that you find particularly useful or would recommend?

Like in life?

Well I'm open to general recs I suppose, but what I should have included in the above is that I'm mostly looking for apps related to law school (PDF view/edit, note taking, law dictionaries, etc.)

Mr. Elshal

Postby Mr. Elshal » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:41 am

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Does anyone know if each North room has a desk and a table, as the pics on the HLS housing site show, or just a desk? (I'm hoping to bring a futon and am hoping the room isn't already crowded with unnecessary furniture..)

North rooms have a pretty random selection of furniture. I know of people who had the following configurations last year, all in the "Standard" room:
1) Desk, small table, and two chairs
2) Desk, really large table, and two chairs
3) Desk, no table, and two chairs
4) Desk, [either table], and one chair

The furniture also didn't match from room to room, and sometimes even within the same room, but they're doing some work on North now, so I don't know if that includes a furniture update.

The only thing you can probably count on is that you will have at least a bed, a desk, a chair, and a dresser.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”