Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
charlie.black

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby charlie.black » Fri May 23, 2014 2:29 pm

tomwatts wrote:I worked in-house my first summer. I was in NYC, but I almost ended up in Boston. It seemed as though in-house hired awfully late; I got my job offers in late April/early May. Some others (notably Marvel in NYC) hire on a more normal timeline, but if in-house is what you want, don't despair if your initial apps turn up nothing. You can keep applying until literally weeks before the summer starts.

good to know. thanks tom

delusional

Postby delusional » Fri May 23, 2014 2:32 pm

AllTheLawz wrote:
SnakySalmon wrote:Has anyone ever compiled a list of what people who graduated Summa have done? I'd imagine they can do basically whatever they want, so it might be interesting to see what unicorn jobs they choose to do.

Unicorn?? They mostly just do the exact same stuff magna/cum laude people do (fed clerkship-->biglaw-->AG/DOJ/etc.). From what I have seen, unicorn jobs have more to do with your interests and background than class rank.
I would imagine that most of them end up clerking for the Supreme Court, which is probably not available to all magnas. On the other hand, I don't think they need to be on the pedestal I assumed they were on when I was a 1L.

t-14orbust

Postby t-14orbust » Fri May 23, 2014 2:35 pm

13" MBA or MBP? I'm not sure if I want to go with readability(MBP) since I'll be reading on it a lot or portability/batt life(MBA) since I'll be carrying it around everywhere.

politics89

Postby politics89 » Fri May 23, 2014 3:05 pm

t-14orbust wrote:13" MBA or MBP? I'm not sure if I want to go with readability(MBP) since I'll be reading on it a lot or portability/batt life(MBA) since I'll be carrying it around everywhere.

Also, is there a lot of reading that needs to be done online? Or is mostly in the books?

t-14orbust

Postby t-14orbust » Fri May 23, 2014 3:07 pm

politics89 wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:13" MBA or MBP? I'm not sure if I want to go with readability(MBP) since I'll be reading on it a lot or portability/batt life(MBA) since I'll be carrying it around everywhere.

Also, is there a lot of reading that needs to be done online? Or is mostly in the books?

I'm told so much work is done on your laptop/computer that people invest in additional monitors to manage flipping through it all--one screen for research/reading etc and one for writing. I could see the rMBP coming in clutch for eye-strain, but the 12+ hour battery life of the MBA is pretty alluring

hlsperson1111

Postby hlsperson1111 » Fri May 23, 2014 5:50 pm

AllTheLawz wrote:
SnakySalmon wrote:Has anyone ever compiled a list of what people who graduated Summa have done? I'd imagine they can do basically whatever they want, so it might be interesting to see what unicorn jobs they choose to do.

Unicorn?? They mostly just do the exact same stuff magna/cum laude people do (fed clerkship-->biglaw-->AG/DOJ/etc.). From what I have seen, unicorn jobs have more to do with your interests and background than class rank.

That's true, but I think that Fay Diploma recipients/summa grads are still probably overrepresented in certain unicorn jobs (legal academia being the most obvious example).

MyNameIsFlynn!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Fri May 23, 2014 9:53 pm

Urgent: where can I print/copy on Friday night at 10-12pm? I know one of you needs out there is TLSing on a Friday night and has answers

Thanks in advance

ph14

Postby ph14 » Fri May 23, 2014 9:55 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:Urgent: where can I print/copy on Friday night at 10-12pm? I know one of you needs out there is TLSing on a Friday night and has answers

Thanks in advance

I think you could card into the library and print there. There are computers right past the turnstiles.

MyNameIsFlynn!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Fri May 23, 2014 9:56 pm

ph14 wrote:
MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:Urgent: where can I print/copy on Friday night at 10-12pm? I know one of you needs out there is TLSing on a Friday night and has answers

Thanks in advance

I think you could card into the library and print there. There are computers right past the turnstiles.

It's fucking closed and the security staff is guarding the entrance

ph14

Postby ph14 » Fri May 23, 2014 10:00 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
ph14 wrote:

Thanks in advance

Just go to Gnomon Copy in Harvard Square in the morning. What time is it due? Be sure to leave yourself plenty of time.

HermioneG.

Postby HermioneG. » Fri May 23, 2014 10:53 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
ph14 wrote:

Thanks in advance

I'm not doing the write-on or anything as important as you, but this was incredibly useful since I was about to go print stuff for work. So thanks for saving me a walk! :)

I came on here because I was wondering if anyone knew at what point our printing credits from this past semester will expire. I have a bunch of stuff I need to print and $20 to burn.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Fri May 23, 2014 11:08 pm

I hope it's some of the best printing ever... But seriously... Non-semester printing? It's Friday night brah...

HermioneG. wrote:
MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
ph14 wrote:

Thanks in advance

I'm not doing the write-on or anything as important as you, but this was incredibly useful since I was about to go print stuff for work. So thanks for saving me a walk! :)

I came on here because I was wondering if anyone knew at what point our printing credits from this past semester will expire. I have a bunch of stuff I need to print and $20 to burn.

HermioneG.

Postby HermioneG. » Fri May 23, 2014 11:34 pm

BlakcMajikc wrote:I hope it's some of the best printing ever... But seriously... Non-semester printing? It's Friday night brah...

I didn't do write-on, so every night since exams has been Friday night...but, really I'm just leaving for my job and need to learn everything about my job on the plane ride. :|

rathgra

Postby rathgra » Sat May 24, 2014 6:21 am

Thanks in advance

FWIW in future, Kinko's in Harvard Square is open 24/7

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Sat May 24, 2014 8:39 am

rathgra wrote:

Thanks in advance

FWIW in future, Kinko's in Harvard Square is open 24/7

You're talking about the FedEx Office next to the post office right?

MyNameIsFlynn!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Sat May 24, 2014 8:45 am

rathgra wrote:FWIW in future, Kinko's in Harvard Square is open 24/7

Managed to figure that out last night around 11, but thanks anyways for the heads up.

What a change of pace to come across printers and copiers that actually worked... I'm kind of glad the library was closed.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Sat May 24, 2014 3:34 pm

Thanks in advance

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=printing+harvard+square+24%2F7

Mr. Elshal

Postby Mr. Elshal » Sat May 24, 2014 9:40 pm

t-14orbust wrote:
politics89 wrote:

I'm told so much work is done on your laptop/computer that people invest in additional monitors to manage flipping through it all--one screen for research/reading etc and one for writing. I could see the rMBP coming in clutch for eye-strain, but the 12+ hour battery life of the MBA is pretty alluring

I started the year with 15" non-retina MBP. I switched in the middle of first semester to a 13" retina MBP (which actually gives me more screen space than the 15" because of the pixel density), but throughout I've been using a 24" external monitor. I find the external monitor invaluable. Especially during take-home exams, but also for general research, writing, and watching shows while working.

Mr. Elshal

Postby Mr. Elshal » Sun May 25, 2014 12:00 pm

Does anyone know how frequently Hershkoff's 1-credit Sinking Islands reading group meets? It's Wednesday from 5-7, so two hours per meeting.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sun May 25, 2014 12:46 pm

Mr. Elshal wrote:Does anyone know how frequently Hershkoff's 1-credit Sinking Islands reading group meets? It's Wednesday from 5-7, so two hours per meeting.

Reading groups like that typically meet every other week and have about 6 sessions.

nothingtosee

Postby nothingtosee » Sun May 25, 2014 1:47 pm

What is the situation with parking near the law school? Is it possible? Is it reasonably priced? Does anyone do it?

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sun May 25, 2014 1:52 pm

nothingtosee wrote:What is the situation with parking near the law school? Is it possible? Is it reasonably priced? Does anyone do it?

I don't think it's particularly easy. My friends with cars all take the bus (including driving to the bus stop) or walk instead.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Sun May 25, 2014 2:02 pm

nothingtosee wrote:What is the situation with parking near the law school? Is it possible? Is it reasonably priced? Does anyone do it?

For a one-off event or every now and again when something comes up, it's possible. As part of your everyday commute, it's basically not.

Also, regarding the computer choices above, I use a 15" rMBP with a 27" monitor (that does 1920 x 1200) at home. This is a really, really great setup for me, and it's not terribly expensive (the monitor is probably $200-300).

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Sun May 25, 2014 3:24 pm

Expect to pay $150-200/month if you want a spot near campus. If you go 1.5-2 miles into Somerville, then it gets down to $50-75/month.

delusional

Postby delusional » Sun May 25, 2014 7:06 pm

Knew a few people this year who had the monthly passes to the garage under Wasserstein. Probably ridiculously overpriced, but at least some people seem to be able to afford it.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”