Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
lawbeahs

New

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Post by lawbeahs » Thu May 22, 2014 4:51 pm

Thank you both so much for your input! I really appreciate it!

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Thu May 22, 2014 4:58 pm

Are all 2L/3L grades out, or only some?

I don't want to check until I know that I won't have any blanks.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Thu May 22, 2014 4:59 pm

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Thu May 22, 2014 5:00 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:Are all 2L/3L grades out, or only some?

Tomwatts said his class that was mainly a 2L class didn't have grades out yet, so I would guess not all are out just yet.

despina

Bronze

Post by despina » Thu May 22, 2014 5:04 pm

ph14 wrote:

Tomwatts said his class that was mainly a 2L class didn't have grades out yet, so I would guess not all are out just yet.
I'm a 2L (rising 3L). I only have one grade as of now, though there are 3Ls in all my classes.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Thu May 22, 2014 5:09 pm

despina wrote:
ph14 wrote:

I'm a 2L (rising 3L). I only have one grade as of now, though there are 3Ls in all my classes.
Thanks for the info! Definitely not checking until next week then.

PS: How can latin honors be out if some 3Ls don't have all their grades in? Or do professors somehow prioritize the anonymous 3L tests? Very odd.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Thu May 22, 2014 5:15 pm

Mr. Elshal

Silver

Post by Mr. Elshal » Thu May 22, 2014 5:27 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
charlie.black wrote:anyone have any experience getting a 1L summer position with a company in boston? I imagine the standard gig is an internship with the in-house legal department?
This is by no means a standard gig. People who work in-house their 1L summer are even fewer than those who work at firms. I know one person who did this in Boston. And mind you, I've read through a lot of Who Worked Where lists for 1L summer jobs.
This is just anecdotal, but my friends at other T14 schools have told me that a much larger chunk of their classes work in-house than HLS students. When I was applying for summer positions, I used NYU's job boards (alumni access) and found far more in-house positions on there than on HLS's job boards. These positions were all in NY, Europe, or Asia, but there was a decent selection. I noticed that Blackstone had a position open that was not posted on any site remotely related to HLS.

charlie.black

Bronze

Post by charlie.black » Thu May 22, 2014 7:09 pm

Mr. Elshal wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:
charlie.black wrote:anyone have any experience getting a 1L summer position with a company in boston? I imagine the standard gig is an internship with the in-house legal department?
This is by no means a standard gig. People who work in-house their 1L summer are even fewer than those who work at firms. I know one person who did this in Boston. And mind you, I've read through a lot of Who Worked Where lists for 1L summer jobs.
This is just anecdotal, but my friends at other T14 schools have told me that a much larger chunk of their classes work in-house than HLS students. When I was applying for summer positions, I used NYU's job boards (alumni access) and found far more in-house positions on there than on HLS's job boards. These positions were all in NY, Europe, or Asia, but there was a decent selection. I noticed that Blackstone had a position open that was not posted on any site remotely related to HLS.
thanks for the responses.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

guppy55

New

Post by guppy55 » Thu May 22, 2014 7:23 pm

Ended up with an unexpected 0L summer opportunity... wondering if it's worth it...

Option 1: Stay with my current super-relaxing part-time job, save money(!), stay with friends/family before moving to Boston in August.

Option 2: Spend the summer as a full-time unpaid volunteer for a political campaign (about which I'm very passionate) in another state; this would cost me a chunk of my savings and probably not be very relaxing, though very exciting.

I know everyone says to relax and take it easy before law school. Does the wisdom hold true in this case? I'm not sure if campaign volunteerism counts as a resume-builder for a K-JD, or if it doesn't really matter in the big picture. Thoughts?

MyNameIsFlynn!

Silver

Post by MyNameIsFlynn! » Thu May 22, 2014 8:18 pm

guppy55 wrote:Ended up with an unexpected 0L summer opportunity... wondering if it's worth it...

Option 1: Stay with my current super-relaxing part-time job, save money(!), stay with friends/family before moving to Boston in August.

Option 2: Spend the summer as a full-time unpaid volunteer for a political campaign (about which I'm very passionate) in another state; this would cost me a chunk of my savings and probably not be very relaxing, though very exciting.

I know everyone says to relax and take it easy before law school. Does the wisdom hold true in this case? I'm not sure if campaign volunteerism counts as a resume-builder for a K-JD, or if it doesn't really matter in the big picture. Thoughts?
how is this even a question? save the unpaid internship for 1l summer bro

p.s. there is literally no position that involves more bitchwork than unpaid campaign volunteer.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Thu May 22, 2014 8:21 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
guppy55 wrote:Ended up with an unexpected 0L summer opportunity... wondering if it's worth it...

how is this even a question? save the unpaid internship for 1l summer bro

p.s. there is literally no position that involves more bitchwork than unpaid campaign volunteer.
It doesn't matter, just pick whichever one you want to do. If you want to go volunteer for a political campaign because you're very passionate about it, then go for it. There won't be very many opportunities to do something non-law related just because you want to in the near future.

If you are asking which I personally would pick, I would take the relaxed and paid position and save some money.

BelugaWhale

Bronze

Post by BelugaWhale » Thu May 22, 2014 9:01 pm

How up to date is the degree audit..meaning when does a course go from in progress to counting towards your degree?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rathgra

New

Post by rathgra » Thu May 22, 2014 10:21 pm

BelugaWhale wrote:How up to date is the degree audit..meaning when does a course go from in progress to counting towards your degree?
It should say "last updated" in the corner. Mine says 4/25/14.

Edit: After rereading your question (subciting has destroyed my brain), I'm not entirely sure that's helpful.
Last edited by rathgra on Thu May 22, 2014 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Thu May 22, 2014 10:21 pm

so, he asked conversationally, which one of you is Summa?

EvelynS

Bronze

Post by EvelynS » Thu May 22, 2014 10:44 pm

Did anyone take White Collar Crimes class with Savarese or Topics in M&A with Coates? Any comments on these classes?

tachikara

New

Post by tachikara » Thu May 22, 2014 11:01 pm

delusional wrote:so, he asked conversationally, which one of you is Summa?
In case you didn't know where to find the list, here ya go

https://www.law.harvard.edu/academics/r ... onors.html

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Thu May 22, 2014 11:31 pm

charlie.black wrote:
Mr. Elshal wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:
thanks for the responses.
I worked in-house my first summer. I was in NYC, but I almost ended up in Boston. It seemed as though in-house hired awfully late; I got my job offers in late April/early May. Some others (notably Marvel in NYC) hire on a more normal timeline, but if in-house is what you want, don't despair if your initial apps turn up nothing. You can keep applying until literally weeks before the summer starts.

breakfastsandwich

New

Post by breakfastsandwich » Fri May 23, 2014 1:04 am

Now that the list is out, any insight into what the grade cut-off for magna is?

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Fri May 23, 2014 8:26 am

breakfastsandwich wrote:Now that the list is out, any insight into what the grade cut-off for magna is?
The area thrown out is around 3.90-4.0 depending on the year.

despina

Bronze

Post by despina » Fri May 23, 2014 12:20 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
breakfastsandwich wrote:Now that the list is out, any insight into what the grade cut-off for magna is?
The area thrown out is around 3.90-4.0 depending on the year.
Good lord. Hearty congrats to anyone who can pull off equal or more more DS'es than P's.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SnakySalmon

Bronze

Post by SnakySalmon » Fri May 23, 2014 12:27 pm

Has anyone ever compiled a list of what people who graduated Summa have done? I'd imagine they can do basically whatever they want, so it might be interesting to see what unicorn jobs they choose to do.

AllTheLawz

Bronze

Post by AllTheLawz » Fri May 23, 2014 12:38 pm

SnakySalmon wrote:Has anyone ever compiled a list of what people who graduated Summa have done? I'd imagine they can do basically whatever they want, so it might be interesting to see what unicorn jobs they choose to do.
Unicorn?? They mostly just do the exact same stuff magna/cum laude people do (fed clerkship-->biglaw-->AG/DOJ/etc.). From what I have seen, unicorn jobs have more to do with your interests and background than class rank.

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Fri May 23, 2014 12:50 pm

SnakySalmon wrote:Has anyone ever compiled a list of what people who graduated Summa have done? I'd imagine they can do basically whatever they want, so it might be interesting to see what unicorn jobs they choose to do.
I stumbled upon this summa grad when I was looking for potential networking opps in LA.

http://www.gibsondunn.com/lawyers/jpoon

What a boss

wert3813

Silver

Post by wert3813 » Fri May 23, 2014 1:07 pm

Okay 2Ls and 3Ls. In csm when you search for all employers interviewing in say Austin a myriad of firms come up. On the search screen it says locations interviewing for and lists like 10 locations including Austin. But then when I click on firm it only says interviewing for New York. If anyone is really interested in this problem Wilson Sonsini is a good example.

Anyone deal with this in years past?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”