Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
tomwatts

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby tomwatts » Sun May 18, 2014 2:15 pm

wert3813 wrote:North medium is best band for the buck. save a bit but still decent size and a full brewed.

Wow, they didn't mention that perk when I signed up for North!

Also, I applaud whatever texts you have been sending that you got autocorrected like that.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Sun May 18, 2014 4:03 pm

tomwatts wrote:
wert3813 wrote:North medium is best band for the buck. save a bit but still decent size and a full brewed.

Also, I applaud whatever texts you have been sending that you got autocorrected like that.

I need to stop tlsing on my phone.

quijotesca1011

Postby quijotesca1011 » Sun May 18, 2014 7:10 pm

If you are in Hastings, do they by any chance help you get in touch with your roommate before move-in? I can see my roommates 'screen name' but no full name or email, I'd like to get in touch just to say hello and since we have the shared living room talk about brining stuff.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Sun May 18, 2014 7:53 pm

quijotesca1011 wrote:If you are in Hastings, do they by any chance help you get in touch with your roommate before move-in? I can see my roommates 'screen name' but no full name or email, I'd like to get in touch just to say hello and since we have the shared living room talk about brining stuff.

Email Housing.

PotenC

Postby PotenC » Mon May 19, 2014 1:59 pm

Is winter break for 1Ls a true break? Like I know we have to take that workshop thing so it'll be cut short, but I'll be completely free from whenever finals end to January 4th, right? The reason I'm asking is that we'd like to attend to family matters during that time and I would probably be out of the country.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Mon May 19, 2014 2:18 pm

PotenC wrote:Is winter break for 1Ls a true break? Like I know we have to take that workshop thing so it'll be cut short, but I'll be completely free from whenever finals end to January 4th, right? The reason I'm asking is that we'd like to attend to family matters during that time and I would probably be out of the country.

Yeah you're good. Though they can be pretty asshole-ly about not being back on time, depending on your professor.

PotenC

Postby PotenC » Mon May 19, 2014 2:23 pm

Thanks, much appreciated. Does that mean that some professors are cool with you missing the first few days of the workshop or something?

o0o0o0o

Postby o0o0o0o » Mon May 19, 2014 2:39 pm

PotenC wrote:Thanks, much appreciated. Does that mean that some professors are cool with you missing the first few days of the workshop or something?

No, they don't like that.

ttime97

Postby ttime97 » Mon May 19, 2014 4:39 pm

wert3813 wrote:
tomwatts wrote:

I need to stop tlsing on my phone.

Lol thanks. What do you mean by save a bit? North seems like the opposite of saving.....

ttime97

Postby ttime97 » Mon May 19, 2014 4:42 pm

Also housing is confusing me the most at this moment. Is it worth it to spend the first year in the dorms at all? does it make a difference to your social or quality of life? Have people found that it makes a difference or should you just go look at Boston housing if you have time over the summer?

Totally happy with being pointed to a past post that speaks to this topic.

Postby 06162014123 » Mon May 19, 2014 5:08 pm

Last edited by 06162014123 on Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawbeahs

Postby lawbeahs » Mon May 19, 2014 5:57 pm

wert3813 wrote:
PotenC wrote:Is winter break for 1Ls a true break? Like I know we have to take that workshop thing so it'll be cut short, but I'll be completely free from whenever finals end to January 4th, right? The reason I'm asking is that we'd like to attend to family matters during that time and I would probably be out of the country.

Yeah you're good. Though they can be pretty asshole-ly about not being back on time, depending on your professor.

Follow-up on this question- is the Spring Break actually a full week break that can be used to relax/recuperate, or are there assignments/classes/necessary studying/ etc that you have to use the break to accomplish?

koalacity

Postby koalacity » Mon May 19, 2014 6:50 pm

Can anyone who's lived in 29 Garden St. fill me in on the availability of street parking around there? I'm planning on bringing a car, and while I know there's a garage for 29 Garden, it's super expensive and I'm not entirely sure I could even get a permit there before they sell out, so if there's normally street parking available, I'd rather just do that.

Mr. Elshal

Postby Mr. Elshal » Mon May 19, 2014 7:12 pm

lawbeahs wrote:
wert3813 wrote:

Follow-up on this question- is the Spring Break actually a full week break that can be used to relax/recuperate, or are there assignments/classes/necessary studying/ etc that you have to use the break to accomplish?

I had something due right for LRW right when I got back, and I also used Spring Break for job interviews. You could probably make it a full-week relaxation, but there may be a shitstorm waiting for you when you get back to work (or you may legitimately have nothing to do)

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon May 19, 2014 10:34 pm

PotenC wrote:Thanks, much appreciated. Does that mean that some professors are cool with you missing the first few days of the workshop or something?

Definitely don't do that.

Winter Break is a true break, although, it is also a good time to job search.

Spring Break isn't a true break 1L year, but can be for 2L & 3L year. Those who actually carved it out as true relaxation time were pretty stressed after getting back 1L year.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Tue May 20, 2014 3:51 pm

acrossthelake wrote:

Definitely don't do that.

Winter Break is a true break, although, it is also a good time to job search.

Spring Break isn't a true break 1L year, but can be for 2L & 3L year. Those who actually carved it out as true relaxation time were pretty stressed after getting back 1L year.

It can be stress free. I spent 1L spring break in Cabos and didnt bring a textbook. Just did crazy work before and after to make that happen. Had the job search finished in mid-Feb.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Tue May 20, 2014 4:30 pm

BlakcMajikc wrote:
It can be stress free. I spent 1L spring break in Cabos and didnt bring a textbook. Just did crazy work before and after to make that happen. Had the job search finished in mid-Feb.

This is more my point. In 2L & 3L, you can generally have a stress-free Spring Break and not have to really "make up" for it the rest of the semester (either before or after) if you choose the right classes & balance extracurriculars well.

In contrast, I worked through spring break my 1L year, but then was also a fair bit less stressed after Spring Break.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Tue May 20, 2014 5:24 pm

Posting this in here in response to a couple of PMs asking about grade release dates.

Last year (2013):

GRADE Release

Class of 2013 grade release will be Friday, May 24th.

Starting this spring, will be begin to release Upper level course grades as we receive them for all continuing students starting on Friday, May 24th. This includes the 1L spring elective.

All Required 1L courses grades will be released on Wednesday, June 12th.

2 years ago (2012):

1. Spring grades will be released on Friday, June 15 at noon.

2. We will be performing scheduled maintenance on HELIOS beginning at 6:00AM on Wednesday, June 13 which will require the system to be offline. During this time, you will not have access to HELIOS. An email announcement will be sent once HELIOS is back online which is expected to be by the end of the day on Wednesday.

Note: The Wednesday June 13th maintenance was actually when grades were released, not the announced date of June 15th.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Tue May 20, 2014 11:06 pm

ph14 wrote:
Starting this spring, will be begin to release Upper level course grades as we receive them for all continuing students starting on Friday, May 24th. This includes the 1L spring elective.

AHA! That was the thing I couldn't find a while back.

In relation to the grade calendar: my bet (mentioned before) is May 23 for upper-level grades (with the possibility of some trickling in later) and June 11 for 1L grades. That's based on the last two years and some other reasons.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Tue May 20, 2014 11:08 pm

tomwatts wrote:
ph14 wrote:

AHA! That was the thing I couldn't find a while back.

In relation to the grade calendar: my bet (mentioned before) is May 23 for upper-level grades (with the possibility of some trickling in later) and June 11 for 1L grades. That's based on the last two years and some other reasons.

The Clerkship Blog noted that they heard, informally, that upper-level grades would be released on or around May 27.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Tue May 20, 2014 11:18 pm

ph14 wrote:The Clerkship Blog noted that they heard, informally, that upper-level grades would be released on or around May 27.

They did say that. I think they are wrong by a few days.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Tue May 20, 2014 11:20 pm

tomwatts wrote:
ph14 wrote:The Clerkship Blog noted that they heard, informally, that upper-level grades would be released on or around May 27.

They did say that. I think they are wrong by a few days.

Just a guess or did you hear otherwise? I personally would be surprised if grades came out that early (2 weeks from the end of the exam period). But I guess that is roughly when they came out last year so we will see!

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Tue May 20, 2014 11:45 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
BlakcMajikc wrote:

This is more my point. In 2L & 3L, you can generally have a stress-free Spring Break and not have to really "make up" for it the rest of the semester (either before or after) if you choose the right classes & balance extracurriculars well.

In contrast, I worked through spring break my 1L year, but then was also a fair bit less stressed after Spring Break.

Fair enough. It was Ames work after spring break, so needed the Ames partner to wrap stuff up anyway... wasn't stressed any of second semester 1L.

Searchparty

Postby Searchparty » Wed May 21, 2014 7:28 am

guppy55 wrote:A couple last miscellaneous questions (Note: I am very grateful to everyone who is answering all of these!)

1. I went to a notoriously bad public undergrad -- a consistent top 20 "party school." When I've traveled abroad or gone to conferences at other schools, people tend to assume I'm a joke (or, that I'm the one to take out to the bars for a good time). Is the name of my undergrad going to follow/haunt me down the road, or will the shiny Harvard Law name listed above it on my resume make this irrelevant?

2. My notoriously bad undergrad was in a lovely warm sunny city. Does anyone have any tips for adjusting to the cold? Are the winters just really, profoundly horrible? I've been advised by a Boston-dwelling friend to buy a sun lamp...

I would think, and I'm just speculating, that your undergrad can't really hurt you, unless you actually need the substance of your degree to do your job (e.g. IP work needs science background). I didn't go to a great undergrad by any means, and I don't think anyone looks at me weird:)

Also from the warm, warm, warm weather. I honestly didn't think it was so bad. For me, the key was investing in a good, good jacket with down filling and a "shell" (two part jacket, one part down filled puffy jacket zips into the one part windbreaker material). You could either drop $300 (yes :( that much) on a new north face jacket (or the like), or try to go to TJ Maxx/Marshalls in Boston before it gets really cold to look for a jacket that could work. Also boots that are waterproof because there is always some large, deep puddle of melted snow where you need to cross the street. Thick gloves, and a beanie cap to cover your ears/ear tips.

ttime97 wrote:Also housing is confusing me the most at this moment. Is it worth it to spend the first year in the dorms at all? does it make a difference to your social or quality of life? Have people found that it makes a difference or should you just go look at Boston housing if you have time over the summer?

Totally happy with being pointed to a past post that speaks to this topic.

I would say dorms will help your social life and quality of life if the other option is being a long walk away. Also, there will be a loooot of people that live in the dorms in your section, and so there will be people wanting to do stuff in the common areas.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Wed May 21, 2014 8:21 am

ph14 wrote:Just a guess or did you hear otherwise? I personally would be surprised if grades came out that early (2 weeks from the end of the exam period). But I guess that is roughly when they came out last year so we will see!

It's a mix of things. Grades came out the Friday before graduation last year. Grades coming out the Friday before graduation rather than the day before graduation generally makes sense; they need to know that people actually passed their classes (unlikely to be a problem, but you never know with 500+ 3Ls) and they need to sort out Latin honors, etc. Grades were due from profs last Friday, so they will have been sitting on the grades for a week and have no reason not to release them. And, finally, the Registrar has a habit of telling people that grades will be up several days after they're actually going to be posted and then posting them early (for example, the June 15, 2012 release date that turned into June 13). So I bet the Registrar told the clerkship people May 27, but that was basically just the last possible day that grades could conceivably be released if something goes wrong and they don't get them out on Friday. (And it is the last possible day: they need grades before graduation, for the above reasons.)

I know two weeks seems soon, but it actually takes professors only a few days to grade exams even in the largest classes. Delaying over a month for fall grades is just gratuitous; they could give us our grades before J-Term starts.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”