Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
wert3813

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby wert3813 » Fri May 09, 2014 3:10 pm

t-14orbust wrote:What's the gym like? Is there a free-weight squat rack? I haven't had access to one in a long time and my workouts have suffered tremendously.

Yes, but you can't do any Olympic lifts except squats, hang cleans, and maybe push press if they aren't looking (I know some of these aren't technically OLs, spare me). It's annoying but there legit isn't room. No bumper plates.

In terms of the gym as a whole it's a ton of anaerobic machines (treadmills, bikes, rowers, etc.) and then downstairs I would describe it as like a massive "clubhouse" gym for those of you who grew up in suburbia. Weight machines and benching stations galore. Two squash courts and a slightly smaller than regulation bball court. It's close by and it does the job.

Searchparty

Postby Searchparty » Fri May 09, 2014 4:39 pm

t-14orbust wrote:
despina wrote:
sjgonzalez3 wrote:I read somewhere that you can get a supplemental one time loan for a laptop, specifically.

I would look into that if you think you might have trouble buying one.

You can. Here's the info from last year: http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/sfs/ ... puter.html

Awesome. I didn't know they did cash advances for this. I thought that I'd be screwed since others have mentioned that loan disbursements don't go out until classes have already started(why???). Thanks!!!

The cash advance isn't in advance of classes, it's just called a cash advance because your loan/grants don't get finalized until late September or November. I don't think the laptop disbursement happens separately from the regular financial aid disbursement, but I wouldn't know. My general disbursement last year was on 9/4 if that helps with planning.

tachikara

Postby tachikara » Fri May 09, 2014 4:45 pm

Actually there are two sets of bumpers, the green ones are 10lbs, and the yellows are 25 lbs. There's a squat rack and a power cage, as well as a hex bar, light 15lb bar, and a spare oly bar on the side.

Decent selection of cable machines, lots of dumbbells, flat benches, three pullup bars, 2 flat bench press stations, 1 incline, 1 decline, 1 smith machine, 1 leg press, 1 machine squat, 1 assisted chin/dip, 1 rowing machine, 1 calf raise thingy, and a bunch of bands, medicine balls, swiss balls

All in all, it's not so bad, it can just get crowded sometimes

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Fri May 09, 2014 5:41 pm

tachikara wrote:Actually there are two sets of bumpers, the green ones are 10lbs, and the yellows are 25 lbs. There's a squat rack and a power cage, as well as a hex bar, light 15lb bar, and a spare oly bar on the side.

Decent selection of cable machines, lots of dumbbells, flat benches, three pullup bars, 2 flat bench press stations, 1 incline, 1 decline, 1 smith machine, 1 leg press, 1 machine squat, 1 assisted chin/dip, 1 rowing machine, 1 calf raise thingy, and a bunch of bands, medicine balls, swiss balls

All in all, it's not so bad, it can just get crowded sometimes

That's true their are those bumpers. But there are no 45s and no where that you could really drop the bumpers anyway, which pretty much just leaves deadlifts. Which goes back to the part about a lack of 45s. I just wish they would take out half the machines and have more room to operate. The have kettlebells too now that I think about it. W/e I know I'm in the minority.

t-14orbust

Postby t-14orbust » Fri May 09, 2014 5:48 pm

Doesn't sound bad at all. The aid situation on the other hand.. lol.

guppy55

Postby guppy55 » Sun May 11, 2014 1:32 am

For purposes of hiring/URM, does being LGBTQ-identified ever qualify as a minority?

bbsg

Postby bbsg » Sun May 11, 2014 2:13 am

Most of the 1L "Diversity" positions that were advertised at firms included LGBTQ explicitly, so I figure it must count for at least something.

BelugaWhale

Postby BelugaWhale » Sun May 11, 2014 1:36 pm

anybody know what empirical methods is like? is it like analytical methods with more emphasis on the statistics stuff? Hows the final

MyNameIsFlynn!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Sun May 11, 2014 11:02 pm

when have spring grades historically come out? do the international and elective grades come out before the 1L doctrinal classes, or all at the same time?

despina

Postby despina » Sun May 11, 2014 11:06 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:when have spring grades historically come out? do the international and elective grades come out before the 1L doctrinal classes, or all at the same time?

Last year's email from the registrar announced upper-level grades on May 24, and 1L grades on June 12.

As I recall, my elective grade was released with my other 1L grades and not sooner.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Sun May 11, 2014 11:51 pm

despina wrote:
MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:when have spring grades historically come out? do the international and elective grades come out before the 1L doctrinal classes, or all at the same time?

Last year's email from the registrar announced upper-level grades on May 24, and 1L grades on June 12.

As I recall, my elective grade was released with my other 1L grades and not sooner.

The year before, 1L grades were released on June 13. All grades came together (international and elective). If I were a betting man, I'd bet June 11 for this year for 1L grades and May 23 (the Friday before graduation) for 2L/3L grades.

lameslice57

Postby lameslice57 » Mon May 12, 2014 6:51 am

Fwiw, the clerkship blog said they are hearing informally that 2L/3L grades will come out around May 27th.

meowmeowmeow

Postby meowmeowmeow » Mon May 12, 2014 3:22 pm

Question about living situation for a incoming 1L in Fall:

Option 1: Live in Gropius
Option 2: Live in Allston (1.4 miles from campus, but close to bus line)

Option 1 is cheaper and convenient in terms of location. Option 2 is with an HBS friend and has amenities (washer/dryer, kitchen). I am also a few years out of undergrad, so another perk is it's not a dorm. That said, is it worth it to move that far away and pay more, especially for 1L?

Thanks!

Mr. Elshal

Postby Mr. Elshal » Mon May 12, 2014 5:34 pm

meowmeowmeow wrote:Question about living situation for a incoming 1L in Fall:

Option 1 is cheaper and convenient in terms of location. Option 2 is with an HBS friend and has amenities (washer/dryer, kitchen). I am also a few years out of undergrad, so another perk is it's not a dorm. That said, is it worth it to move that far away and pay more, especially for 1L?

Thanks!

I really enjoyed living near the law school, but I really really really hated living in a dorm. My solution is an apartment close to the law school. But if money is an issue, the dorm is definitely cheap.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Mon May 12, 2014 7:14 pm

Thanks!

Neither. The choice should be:
Option 1: Live in North.
Option 2: Live in an apartment near campus. If too expensive, then find an apartment about 15-20min walk away in Somerville.

Postby 06162014123 » Wed May 14, 2014 11:08 am

Last edited by 06162014123 on Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rathgra

Postby rathgra » Wed May 14, 2014 11:34 am

RedShift wrote:So, for Gropius... the pictures I've seen of the rooms look like there is a closet but no dresser/drawers. Is that correct?

Incorrect - they renovated last summer:
-Closet (with shelves)
-Dresser (3 drawers)
-Desk (with 1 drawer across the top)
-4 shelves on the wall
-1 shelf above the bed
-2 drawers under the bed (very roomy)

I'll take and post some pictures of my room when I move out (gotta keep up that internet anonymity)

guppy55

Postby guppy55 » Wed May 14, 2014 12:40 pm

Can anyone speak to the public interest community at HLS?

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Wed May 14, 2014 1:48 pm

guppy55 wrote:Can anyone speak to the public interest community at HLS?

Male your question like 3 orders of magnitude more specific then maybe

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed May 14, 2014 3:18 pm

Thanks!

I wouldn't live in Allston. If I was that concerned about not wanting to pay the cost of apartments close to campus, I'd just suck it up and live in Gropius.

Yeah this question is too vague. I have no idea what to say. OPIA has potlucks...?

Postby 06162014123 » Wed May 14, 2014 5:24 pm

Last edited by 06162014123 on Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guppy55

Postby guppy55 » Wed May 14, 2014 11:42 pm

wert3813 wrote:

Male your question like 3 orders of magnitude more specific then maybe

Sorry, fair point, let me try again :)

1. Are PI students a small minority (one or two, here and there) or does there seem to be a pretty good group of them, in any given 1L section for example?

2. That said, is there any weird divide between PI-focused students and firm-focused students, or does everybody co-mingle?

3. Are any of the current students on this thread aiming for PI? From what I've read of this thread (most of it), I haven't seen any.

rathgra

Postby rathgra » Wed May 14, 2014 11:59 pm

guppy55 wrote:
1. Are PI students a small minority (one or two, here and there) or does there seem to be a pretty good group of them, in any given 1L section for example?

69 people from 2013 went straight into PI (I'm including government), which averages out to around 9-10 per section. Some people doing clerkships presumably go into PI afterwards, but I can't find any longterm data.

Anecdotally, I've found more people are generally interested (potentially long-term), but that sounds about right for the number of people who have no intention of ever going to a firm.

guppy55 wrote:
2. That said, is there any weird divide between PI-focused students and firm-focused students, or does everybody co-mingle?

I haven't found there to be a divide at all (clarification - during 1L, as that's all I can speak to). All of my best friends intend to go to firms after graduating and are doing EIP.

There are events specifically aimed at people going to firms (mostly firm receptions over J-Term), but nobody is going to stop you from tagging along.

guppy55 wrote:
3. Are any of the current students on this thread aiming for PI? From what I've read of this thread (most of it), I haven't seen any.

I am - PM me if you want specifics.

HLS really is as good as it gets for PI - because we have such a large student body/alumni base, there are sufficient numbers for there to be great PI resources even if a smaller percentage of students are using them. I want to go into a very specific field and OPIA (Office of Public Interest Advising) instantly knew what to do with me and put me in contact with other students who wanted to do the same thing. I really don't see that typically happening at another school.
Last edited by rathgra on Thu May 15, 2014 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

despina

Postby despina » Thu May 15, 2014 12:44 am

guppy55 wrote:1. Are PI students a small minority (one or two, here and there) or does there seem to be a pretty good group of them, in any given 1L section for example?

As rathgra says, a lot of people are interested in PI long-term (and a lot of people from your 1L section will say they never want to go to a firm... then they EIP "just to keep their options open" ... then job security sounds a lot more fun than two more years of hustling and fellowship apps... and then they never go into PI at all). But even after EIP there's a good critical mass of people who are definitely going directly into PI and will support each other with that decision.

I wouldn't say there's a "weird divide" -- like most people, I have good friends in both worlds, though I definitely tend to gravitate more toward people with common interests and those tend to be folks who are headed into PI. That trend definitely got stronger after 1L as I started to spend more time with people who were taking similar classes and doing similar activities, rather than the folks who I just happened to be 1L sectionmates with (though lots of those people are still close friends as well).

3. Are any of the current students on this thread aiming for P.I? From what I've read of this thread (most of it), I haven't seen any.

Yup, I am! Rising 3L (woah).

Searchparty

Postby Searchparty » Thu May 15, 2014 7:45 am

I'm a 1L who has no interest in firm life and plans on going into PI.

There's no divide among the student body, as far as friends go. Some people will not understand why you won't go to EIP or why you don't want to work at a firm (real example: "but how will you pay off your loans?"). Others may push too much on their PI (see "firmly refused").

OPIA (our PI office) has a very strong presence in the school and is especially active. They have A LOT of lunch events to go to, where most attendees are PI focused, so that's always a good way to find other PI people.

Expect to feel pressure if you are not going the firm-route, but not directly from students, just from the way the school is set up. Firm jobs are made extremely easy, and they are practically handed to you on a silver platter. PI job search, on the contrary is much more difficult. You are already making this firm/no-firm decision in your 1L year as EIP begins before your 2L year. Then, your 2L SAs (might/usually) secure a job offer, and your 3L year you don't need to worry. PI jobs on the other hand are much more uncertain and the search can go well into March/April of your 3L year before you have a job offer (and I think 2L year for a summer job too), meanwhile you're thinking everyone else already has their job offer in hand.

The uncertainty v. certainty is daunting to me, especially when they're waving money at you like you (may) have never seen.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”