Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
wert3813

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby wert3813 » Sat May 03, 2014 7:14 pm

baloneydanza wrote:I know Gropius questions have been done to death but I couldn't find any that exactly asked what I'm looking for. I keep track of my diet, so I try to eat out as little as possible. How feasible would it be for me to cook my own dinners every other night (I usually make enough for the next 2/3 nights)? Is there enough fridge space for someone to store food for all 3 meals for a week or two? Shopping every few days would obviously not be economical. I will have a mini fridge. What would be the best building and floor for a kitchen that isn't very busy?

Bigger issue is gonna be walking the 3/4 ths of a mile to and from the grocery store when you're 1L busy and it's a high of 17 out.

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Sat May 03, 2014 7:15 pm

TripTrip wrote:
patogordo wrote:and i didn't say no one cares about your school once you graduate. i said the effect is marginal, which is basically what you said -- it gets you the benefit of the doubt / it's a tiebreaker.

That also depends on what you do afterward. If you decide not to go the firm route, HLS will definitely help you stand out.

sure but the original question was about law firms.

rathgra

Postby rathgra » Sat May 03, 2014 7:25 pm

wert3813 wrote:
baloneydanza wrote:I know Gropius questions have been done to death but I couldn't find any that exactly asked what I'm looking for. I keep track of my diet, so I try to eat out as little as possible. How feasible would it be for me to cook my own dinners every other night (I usually make enough for the next 2/3 nights)? Is there enough fridge space for someone to store food for all 3 meals for a week or two? Shopping every few days would obviously not be economical. I will have a mini fridge. What would be the best building and floor for a kitchen that isn't very busy?

Bigger issue is gonna be walking the 3/4 ths of a mile to and from the grocery store when you're 1L busy and it's a high of 17 out.

On that note - Peapod is a godsend. You can usually finagle the delivery cost to $4, which is how much it costs to take the bus to the store anyway. I was originally very apprehensive because I mostly eat produce, but I've never had a problem.

The kitchen shouldn't be a problem, especially if you have a mini-fridge. I would recommend getting a mini-fridge with decent freezer space - those are usually much more crowded than the fridges.

For floor, I defer to tomwatts' early post on Dane/Ames/Holmes which is in the first post of the thread. It looks like Dane 1 is the best in that complex (I don't live in Shaw/Story and can't speak to it):

Dane 1: This is probably the best floor for a male who wants to be near a kitchen and not near a lounge. Amenities: Male bathroom (not busy, large stalls). Nearest female bathroom is Dane 2 (through a locked door). Nearest lounge is Ames 1. Kitchen (not busy).

Holmes 2: This is one of the best floors for a female who doesn’t want to be near a lounge. Amenities: Female bathroom (somewhat busy? Not sure). Nearest male bathroom is Ames 2 (through an open door). Nearest lounge is Ames 2 (through an open door). Kitchen (somewhat busy).

Dane 2: This is one of the best floors for a female who doesn’t want to be near a lounge. Amenities: Female bathroom (not busy? Not sure). Nearest male bathroom is a floor up or down or in Ames 2 (any of which is through a locked door). Nearest lounge is either Ames 2 (through a locked door) or Dane 3 (through a locked door). Kitchen (somewhat busy).

Ames 3: This is the best floor for a female who wants to be near a lounge and wants a kitchen nearby. Amenities: Female bathroom. Nearest male bathroom is Holmes 3 (through an open door), Dane 3 (through a locked door), or Ames 4 (through a locked door). Lounge. Kitchen (very busy). Large rooms available.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Sat May 03, 2014 8:01 pm

I cook for myself basically all the time (I eat out maybe two or three times a week at most), and, at this point, I go to Trader Joe's by Fresh Pond every couple of weeks to stock up, with trips to local markets in between to pick up other things. It's not hard, even in winter.

For a non-busy kitchen, basically just avoid Ames 3 and, really, Dane 3, Holmes 3, and Ames 4, all of which use Ames 3's kitchen. Dane 1, Dane 2, or Holmes 2 are solid choices, and whichever floors in Shaw and Story have kitchens, too. (EDIT: That's Story 1, Shaw 2, and Shaw 3. Because Story 4 doesn't have a kitchen, I suspect that Shaw 3 is a little busier than Story 1 and Shaw 2, but that's just speculation.)

I avoid storing things in the kitchens because there are occasional problems with theft. (This is bizarre to me, but it's true.) A good-sized mini-fridge stores all that I need refrigerated (and I do have a freezer in a separate compartment on top, which is handy), and there are shelves in the rooms for the rest.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Sat May 03, 2014 9:00 pm

tomwatts wrote:I avoid storing things in the kitchens because there are occasional problems with theft. (This is bizarre to me, but it's true.) A good-sized mini-fridge stores all that I need refrigerated (and I do have a freezer in a separate compartment on top, which is handy), and there are shelves in the rooms for the rest.

I also have a mini-fridge and have found the fridge space to adequate. Freezer space, not so much. Usually I store any of my freezables in the community freezer since I'll probably only be using them in the kitchen anyway.
Last edited by TripTrip on Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J90

Postby J90 » Sat May 03, 2014 10:13 pm

Hey! I'm taking a Legislation and Regulation course over at Columbia, and there aren't any old materials/exams/etc. available. We're using the Manning/Stephenson textbook, and I understand the course is taught here at Harvard. Would anyone be willing to pass along an old exam? Thanks so much!

Edit: I guess please PM me if you'd be willing. I'd be indebted!

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Sun May 04, 2014 12:39 am

J90 wrote:Hey! I'm taking a Legislation and Regulation course over at Columbia, and there aren't any old materials/exams/etc. available. We're using the Manning/Stephenson textbook, and I understand the course is taught here at Harvard. Would anyone be willing to pass along an old exam? Thanks so much!

http://www.law.harvard.edu/academics/registrar/exams/

That what you're looking for?

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Sun May 04, 2014 2:43 am

TripTrip wrote:
J90 wrote:Hey! I'm taking a Legislation and Regulation course over at Columbia, and there aren't any old materials/exams/etc. available. We're using the Manning/Stephenson textbook, and I understand the course is taught here at Harvard. Would anyone be willing to pass along an old exam? Thanks so much!

I;m pretty sure that's password blocked.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Sun May 04, 2014 6:43 am

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
TripTrip wrote:

I;m pretty sure that's password blocked.

Yes, we went over this a page ago.

To the original request, if you still need some info, PM me with an email address.

emu42

Postby emu42 » Mon May 05, 2014 12:04 am

hey guys,
i'm curious about the two HUH apartments for law students (garden and terry). my (nonexistent) HLSH time slot stinks, so i'm looking into off campus housing. has anyone lived in these places? would you recommend them?
and totally unrelated, but are 1L finals usually in-class or take-home?

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Mon May 05, 2014 12:54 am

emu42 wrote:hey guys,
i'm curious about the two HUH apartments for law students (garden and terry). my (nonexistent) HLSH time slot stinks, so i'm looking into off campus housing. has anyone lived in these places? would you recommend them?

I love Terry Terrace. Nothing better than living 2 minutes from the law school and street parking is pretty easy to find. It's expensive but everything is included (even internet) and the Harvard maintenance people are great. If I didn't live here I might try for 10 Akron street. The apartments are newers so they have better appliances and the view of the Charles is great. The trade-off is distance.

bbsg

Postby bbsg » Mon May 05, 2014 1:32 am

Re: finals -- of the 7 I had/will have, 5 have have been/will be take-home.

Mr. Elshal

Postby Mr. Elshal » Mon May 05, 2014 1:37 am

To your question about finals, of my 7 exams this year, 5 are/were take-home and the rest in class. It's up to the professor, and different professors teaching the same class can do differently, but it seems like there is a propensity for giving take-homes. Although, theoretically you could get a whole semester of in-class exams, which could be a hellish experience (if you're like me), but some people seem to enjoy in class exams.

despina

Postby despina » Mon May 05, 2014 8:37 am

My exams so far have been about half-and-half in-class vs take-home..

Of the in-class exams, several have been "closed hard drive" (you can bring any printed books / notes you want but you can't access anything on your computer besides the exam software), several have been "open hard drive, no internet" (you can CRL-F on your outline(s) on your hard drive but the software shuts down your wifi), and at least one has been "open everything" (takehome style, you can access your laptop including internet as normal).

Searchparty

Postby Searchparty » Mon May 05, 2014 11:27 am

ph14 wrote:Publishing is important, but anything you write as a student will be heavily discounted.

Why is this?

love4life29

Postby love4life29 » Mon May 05, 2014 11:50 am

Thanks HLS students for answering questions!

I'm wondering about EIP. Do students who are interested in doing public interest participate? If you do participate, how long does it take? Just the week, or do you reserve the following two weeks as well?

Also, do all students participate in the journal write on competition? Can you be on other journals besides Law Review without participating?

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Mon May 05, 2014 12:02 pm

love4life29 wrote:I'm wondering about EIP. Do students who are interested in doing public interest participate?

No.

love4life29 wrote:Also, do all students participate in the journal write on competition? Can you be on other journals besides Law Review without participating?

No to the first question, yes to the second. At Harvard, unlike other schools, you can work on journals starting your first semester of 1L; no write-on required.

love4life29

Postby love4life29 » Mon May 05, 2014 12:07 pm

Do law students ever live in Charles Chauncy or Chauncy Court apartments? Does anyone know anything about those buildings?

eleemosynary2

Postby eleemosynary2 » Mon May 05, 2014 2:54 pm

love4life29 wrote:Do law students ever live in Charles Chauncy or Chauncy Court apartments? Does anyone know anything about those buildings?

Yeah, a lot of them. Expensive but convenient and pretty nice.

PotenC

Postby PotenC » Mon May 05, 2014 3:11 pm

Last edited by PotenC on Thu May 15, 2014 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Tue May 06, 2014 12:48 pm

Blargh, no housing window = no options.

On a scale from 1 to 10, where 1 = only occasionally considering offing myself and 10 = go to Cooley instead, how miserable am I going to be in a 2BR Hastings "suite"?

Mr. Elshal

Postby Mr. Elshal » Tue May 06, 2014 1:30 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Blargh, no housing window = no options.

On a scale from 1 to 10, where 1 = only occasionally considering offing myself and 10 = go to Cooley instead, how miserable am I going to be in a 2BR Hastings "suite"?

I don't think any of my friends in the 2BRs at Hastings have anything bad to say about them. If they do, I haven't heard it. Everything I hear is about how much space they have, how awesome it is, and how I'm invited to a party in their common area. I don't think you'll fall anywhere on your scale.

Mr. Elshal

Postby Mr. Elshal » Tue May 06, 2014 1:32 pm

love4life29 wrote:Do law students ever live in Charles Chauncy or Chauncy Court apartments? Does anyone know anything about those buildings?

I have a couple of friends living there now and the apartments are pretty good. They're not too far from the law school (at all) and the street is not nearly as loud as Mass. Ave. at night. Plus, you don't ever have to deal with drunk Lesley students (although you may have to deal with the occasional drunk HLS students, who, in my experience, are nowhere near as bad).

MyNameIsFlynn!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Tue May 06, 2014 1:37 pm

Depends on you.

The suites are definitely more spacious than Gropius - you have your own bedroom (which is marginally bigger than the Gropius bedrooms) and a shared living room, but ultimately a 2BR is still living in pretty close quarters with a roommate. This is where you roll the dice - if you like your roommate, Hastings 2BR is not a bad option, but if you guys don't get along very well, the close quarters can make things difficult.

Also, you probably know this, but if you want to cook, Hastings is not a great move. The setup (1 kitchen for 100 people) makes it challenging. Very little fridge storage space and there's usually someone occupying the stove during normal eating hours.

Hastings also has absurd fucking problems with the fire alarms. I mention this because there was one this morning at 5:00am. We've had 6 or 7 so far this year. Between this, the kitchen issues, and inconsiderate people in the shared bathrooms (this may just be bad luck in that I ended up sharing a bathroom with slobs), I regret living in Hastings and probably would have shelled out the extra money to live off campus if I could do things again. But you should take this post with a grain of salt as I like having my own space.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Tue May 06, 2014 1:55 pm

I know the housing debate has been well-covered, but I've never really comment in this thread. I live off-campus. Not a K-JD so I couldn't imagine going back to the dorms. I think the cost differential is also exaggerated. Get some roommates and you can pay $850-900/month close to the law school. And even for a K-JD, purchasing furniture is way way too easy/cheap. (check out the Harvard Graduate Market FB group).

The bang for your buck is obvious in my mind after checking out the monthly dorm rate
(http://www3.law.harvard.edu/dos/hlshous ... nd-prices/). What am I missing?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”