Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ph14

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby ph14 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:14 pm

Arrow4Christ wrote:Is it realistic to expect to be able to sublet a Cambridge or Somerville apartment in the summers? All the units I've looked at so far can't be sublet.

Have you tried contacting the landlord and seeing if either you can sign a lease without the no sublet clause or if they would be willing to waive it? I signed a less with a no sublet clause, but I talked to my landlord and he is okay with subletting the apartment. My landlord owns the apartment personally though, he isn't a rental company.

despina

Postby despina » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:14 pm

Some landlords do let you sublet. Some will want to screen and approve the sub-tenant. I think a fair number of people also illegally sublet.

Demand is also a problem -- although there are a lot of people looking to live in Cambridge for the summer, there are fewer than the regular student population, and most of them won't want your place for the full 3-4 months. So when budgeting, be prepared to eat the cost of at least some of your summer rent. This is especially frustrating if you're on SPIF (our guaranteed summer public interest funding) and living in an expensive area (NYC, DC) -- paying double rent eats up your whole summer budget, so you have to allocate accordingly and save up from your academic year loan funds.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:15 pm

despina wrote:Some landlords do let you sublet. Some will want to screen and approve the sub-tenant. I think a fair number of people also illegally sublet.

Demand is also a problem -- although there are a lot of people looking to live in Cambridge for the summer, there are fewer than the regular student population, and most of them won't want your place for the full 3-4 months. So when budgeting, be prepared to eat the cost of at least some of your summer rent. This is especially frustrating if you're on SPIF (our guaranteed summer public interest funding) and living in an expensive area (NYC, DC) -- paying double rent eats up your whole summer budget, so you have to allocate accordingly and save up from your academic year loan funds.

Yeah, it is definitely a pain. And that's true even with a high-paying SA position. Still hurts to throw away lots of money at an apartment you aren't living in because you can't or didn't sublet. Guess you just have to write it off as a cost of doing business in some cases.

MyNameIsFlynn!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:25 pm

TripTrip wrote:
ph14 wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:Are there no lunches today or is my browser being weird?

http://hlsdope.org/

It's finals.

Ha. HLS Dope should probably have a more exciting homepage for finals and during the summer when there aren't many events.

damn trip, your post was prescient lol

happymonkey

Postby happymonkey » Thu May 01, 2014 2:14 pm

Thanks for answering questions! I'm curious about working on a journal as a 1L.

Do a lot of 1L's work on journals? Is it something students do primarily second semester of 1L year or can you start first semester? What types of work do 1Ls usually get to do and how time consuming is it? Is it possible to work on more than one journal at a time?

BelugaWhale

Postby BelugaWhale » Thu May 01, 2014 2:18 pm

happymonkey wrote:Thanks for answering questions! I'm curious about working on a journal as a 1L.

Do a lot of 1L's work on journals? Is it something students do primarily second semester of 1L year or can you start first semester? What types of work do 1Ls usually get to do and how time consuming is it? Is it possible to work on more than one journal at a time?

I believe most students here are on journals, even if they dont want to be it seems that most people are pressured into it or understand they need something to put on their resume.

Journals vary by workload. Some are super intense and others, such as one I wont name but Im in, has an obligation of around 3 hours per semester.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Thu May 01, 2014 2:20 pm

BelugaWhale wrote:
happymonkey wrote:Thanks for answering questions! I'm curious about working on a journal as a 1L.

I believe most students here are on journals, even if they dont want to be it seems that most people are pressured into it or understand they need something to put on their resume.

Journals vary by workload. Some are super intense and others, such as one I wont name but Im in, has an obligation of around 3 hours per semester.

Yes, lots of 1Ls subcite. Basically, the 1Ls mainly proofread and copy edit above the line text and check the substance and form (Bluebook) of the citations below the line. Yes, it's possible to work on more than one journal at a time if you wanted to but 1 is plenty if you're just looking for a resume line. Depends on the journal and how much work you want to put into it. It shouldn't be a huge burden as long as you don't go overboard in subciting.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Thu May 01, 2014 2:25 pm

BelugaWhale wrote:

I'm on JSEL (Harvard Journal of Sports and Entertainment Law). Subcited for 2 journals as a 1L just to see which one I liked and dropped one where the people just weren't my style. Got a semi-leadership role 1L second semester and have been working on it since. You don't have to do a journal(!!! there's a pack mentality at H, but you really don't have to do anything that doesn't fit your career trajectory), but it can be barely any time commitment as a 1L and you can drop it easily if you arent interested. Pick one where you fit with the journal crew and run with it.

happymonkey

Postby happymonkey » Thu May 01, 2014 2:30 pm

Thanks for the info guys! Right now I'm interested in the Human Rights Journal or International Law Journal. Any knowledge about whether these are demanding ones?

ph14

Postby ph14 » Thu May 01, 2014 2:33 pm

BlakcMajikc wrote:
BelugaWhale wrote:

I'm on JSEL (Harvard Journal of Sports and Entertainment Law). Subcited for 2 journals as a 1L just to see which one I liked and dropped one where the people just weren't my style. Got a semi-leadership role 1L second semester and have been working on it since. You don't have to do a journal(!!! there's a pack mentality at H, but you really don't have to do anything that doesn't fit your career trajectory), but it can be barely any time commitment as a 1L and you can drop it easily if you arent interested. Pick one where you fit with the journal crew and run with it.

This whole post is highly credited, especially the bolded. Do what makes you happy not what everyone else is doing.

Searchparty

Postby Searchparty » Thu May 01, 2014 3:06 pm

lawbeahs wrote:

How do you find an HLS faculty mentor to write/publish with?

--LinkRemoved--

ga208

Postby ga208 » Thu May 01, 2014 3:38 pm

Unrelated question:
For HLS do I need a MAC or can I use an old MS laptop? What type of MAC or laptop is most useful?
Thanks

ph14

Postby ph14 » Thu May 01, 2014 3:40 pm

ga208 wrote:Unrelated question:
For HLS do I need a MAC or can I use an old MS laptop? What type of MAC or laptop is most useful?
Thanks

Wow, the world is changing so much that you ask if you need a Mac, rather than if you need a PC. The answer is that you can use either. It's entirely your personal preference. Make sure to get something reliable (and always back up your files).

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Thu May 01, 2014 4:13 pm

ga208 wrote:Unrelated question:
Thanks

You'll be the odd one out with a PC, but I've had both and I'm glad I had a PC here.

despina

Postby despina » Thu May 01, 2014 4:54 pm

happymonkey wrote:Thanks for the info guys! Right now I'm interested in the Human Rights Journal or International Law Journal. Any knowledge about whether these are demanding ones?

I've heard both of these are a huge pain to subcite for because you have to check and format international sources. But if that's your intended field, couldn't hurt to get to know the people and the literature.

BelugaWhale

Postby BelugaWhale » Thu May 01, 2014 4:57 pm

despina wrote:
happymonkey wrote:Thanks for the info guys! Right now I'm interested in the Human Rights Journal or International Law Journal. Any knowledge about whether these are demanding ones?

I've heard both of these are a huge pain to subcite for because you have to check and format international sources. But if that's your intended field, couldn't hurt to get to know the people and the literature.

You might fall on the other side of the fence but you can also consider the national security journal...it deals with international law and human rights but from a more...aggressive???? dimension

despina

Postby despina » Thu May 01, 2014 5:13 pm

BelugaWhale wrote:
despina wrote:

You might fall on the other side of the fence but you can also consider the national security journal...it deals with international law and human rights but from a more...aggressive???? dimension

Ha yes, but if you're more liberal / leftish / peacenik, don't shy away either. You can judge the content for yourself, but I wouldn't describe the people I know who are on NSLJ as "hawkish" or "aggressive."

http://harvardnsj.org/

BelugaWhale

Postby BelugaWhale » Thu May 01, 2014 5:18 pm

despina wrote:
BelugaWhale wrote:
despina wrote:

Ha yes, but if you're more liberal / leftish / peacenik, don't shy away either. You can judge the content for yourself, but I wouldn't describe the people I know who are on NSLJ as "hawkish" or "aggressive."

Right I didnt mean aggressive as in Hawkish I meant that approaching international law from a warfare/security/laws of war perspective is different than international law or human rights law...its tinged...

ph14

Postby ph14 » Thu May 01, 2014 5:21 pm

despina wrote:
BelugaWhale wrote:
despina wrote:

I saw a NSLJ member beat up a HRCL member, claiming it was a permissible preemptive strike.

bedefan

Postby bedefan » Thu May 01, 2014 5:24 pm

despina wrote:

This is an excellent point. Subciting international sources takes way longer. Have to look everything up.

Also, I didn't do a journal at all my 1L year, and I didn't take a leadership role in the one I joined my 2L year (which I promptly quit at the start of my 3L year). And I still got a clerkship: district court, major city, and I turned down several other interview requests, including one from a COA judge.

I mention this because I think part of the 1L herd mentality is that you need to do a journal as a 1L to leave all your doors open, clerkships being a big one of those doors. Not really true. As others have said, just do what you like. It makes you happier, and also makes you more interesting to interviewers.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Thu May 01, 2014 5:28 pm

As someone without particularly interesting on my resume I'm glad I subcited as a 1L since I got asked about it during a lot of my 1L summer and 2L summer interviews. Not anything aggressive, more just like a conversation topic.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Thu May 01, 2014 5:34 pm

bedefan wrote:
despina wrote:

This is an excellent point. Subciting international sources takes way longer. Have to look everything up.

Also, I didn't do a journal at all my 1L year, and I didn't take a leadership role in the one I joined my 2L year (which I promptly quit at the start of my 3L year). And I still got a clerkship: district court, major city, and I turned down several other interview requests, including one from a COA judge.

I mention this because I think part of the 1L herd mentality is that you need to do a journal as a 1L to leave all your doors open, clerkships being a big one of those doors. Not really true. As others have said, just do what you like. It makes you happier, and also makes you more interesting to interviewers.

I was an editor for ILJ. The international sources are terrible. The worst is when the only library that has the source is in Eindhoven, Netherlands or Medellin, Colombia (true story). But on the other hand I worked at firms in two (non-USA) countries during my summers at HLS and they both noted my leadership position from ILJ during interviews.

MyNameIsFlynn!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Thu May 01, 2014 5:46 pm

bedefan wrote:
despina wrote:

I do think there's value from a leaving doors open perspective. I figure a journal can't hurt you, can only help, and the cost of putting that line on your resume can be as low as 3 hrs a semester.

happymonkey

Postby happymonkey » Thu May 01, 2014 6:02 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
bedefan wrote:
despina wrote:

I was an editor for ILJ. The international sources are terrible. The worst is when the only library that has the source is in Eindhoven, Netherlands or Medellin, Colombia (true story). But on the other hand I worked at firms in two (non-USA) countries during my summers at HLS and they both noted my leadership position from ILJ during interviews.

Thanks for the advice guys. These two journals are what I'm most interested in, so I think it would be a worthwhile experience even though they seem more demanding. I may also want to clerk so having journal experience seems like a good idea.

rathgra

Postby rathgra » Thu May 01, 2014 6:11 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
bedefan wrote:
despina wrote:

I do think there's value from a leaving doors open perspective. I figure a journal can't hurt you, can only help, and the cost of putting that line on your resume can be as low as 3 hrs a semester.

Seconding this - it's such a low time commitment and, from what I've observed, they usually do a decent job scheduling subcites at lighter points of the semester. If there's a topic you're interested in, why not? It's also fantastic for meeting people outside of your section who have the same interest you do.

I joined my journal for the resume line, ended up really loving the people and the policy issues I got to think about, so I stuck around and got way more involved second semester. If you don't like it, it's a low commitment and easy to back-out.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”