Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
BelugaWhale

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby BelugaWhale » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:20 pm

patogordo wrote:also, how do you type anything of significant length with two fingers? seems like your hands would fall off before you finished a paper.

It's like tennis. Only using one arm (or finger) causes it to overdevelop to handle the strain. My index finger muscles are hyperdeveloped :D

ph14

Postby ph14 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:20 pm

emu42 wrote:
ph14 wrote:
emu42 wrote:Just tried an online typing thing and it said I'm a 60 WPM guy. Guess I need to learn how to type correctly?

That puts you at a max of 10,800 words on a 3 hour exam, which is plenty. Though obviously you're not writing the entire 3 hours. You should be fine as is.

Just did another one and got 78 WPM 8)

Yeah you're fine, though you will probably annoy whoever has to sit next to you and watch you type like that.

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:25 pm

it's alright, i'm sure in ten years all our typing will be thought-controlled and then i'll be the anachronism.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:10 pm

paglababa wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:There are people who do all the assigned readings for every class after 1L? Huh.

Were you at carrie nation for April ASW? I think I met you

I did not go to Carrie Nation for April ASW, no.

o0o0o0o

Postby o0o0o0o » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:32 pm

Does anyone have an opinion on whether it would be a truly terrible idea to take winter term TAW (pass/fail) without having taken evidence?

I'm in the unfortunate situation of being very likely to get off the TAW waitlist but unlikely to get into evidence in the fall (unavoidable schedule conflicts with Murray and Feinberg/super low on the waitlist for Whiting and Schulman).

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:34 pm

o0o0o0o wrote:Does anyone have an opinion on whether it would be a truly terrible idea to take winter term TAW (pass/fail) without having taken evidence?

I'm in the unfortunate situation of being very likely to get off the TAW waitlist but unlikely to get into evidence in the fall (unavoidable schedule conflicts with Murray and Feinberg/super low on the waitlist for Whiting and Schulman).

i didn't know you could take TAW without evidence, but if you can it won't be a big deal.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:34 pm

o0o0o0o wrote:Does anyone have an opinion on whether it would be a truly terrible idea to take winter term TAW (pass/fail) without having taken evidence?

Is evidence not required to have been taken previously or concurrently with TAW? If it isn't, then I think you are going to be fine, it is a pass/fail course after all. Disclaimer: I never took TAW.

o0o0o0o

Postby o0o0o0o » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:51 pm

OK, thanks folks. It is not required to take evidence concurrently/previously - merely "highly recommended."

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:54 pm

o0o0o0o wrote:OK, thanks folks. It is not required to take evidence concurrently/previously - merely "highly recommended."

before you do any exercises where you have to introduce physical evidence they do an evening session where a judge gives everyone an evidence primer, so it's not really necessary. it might help to have some idea of the hearsay rules but that's about all you'd need.

o0o0o0o

Postby o0o0o0o » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:56 pm

patogordo wrote:
o0o0o0o wrote:OK, thanks folks. It is not required to take evidence concurrently/previously - merely "highly recommended."

before you do any exercises where you have to introduce physical evidence they do an evening session where a judge gives everyone an evidence primer, so it's not really necessary. it might help to have some idea of the hearsay rules but that's about all you'd need.

gotcha, thanks.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:06 pm

hop wrote:Hi, I will be a 1L this fall. I am wondering if I can do an independent research course for my elective during spring semester? There is an area of law in which I'm particularly interested and it looks like I may be able to structure a research project with a gov't agency in this area. Thanks.

You cannot. You have to do something that gets you classroom credits (LinkRemoved). Independent clinical/writing doesn't count. You have to take a class. You might be able to do this paper as a paper for a seminar if you can find a related seminar.

HermioneG.

Postby HermioneG. » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:41 pm

emu42 wrote:Hi, weird question here:

I'm a somewhat slow typist. Will I be at a disadvantage for timed finals (which I've heard are entirely computer-based). As an extension of this question, does everyone use computers to take notes in class? I've noticed that I take better notes by hand.

I think it's worth mentioning that half my classes this year didn't even allow laptops, so you may be better off than people who have never gotten decent at handwritten notes

ph14

Postby ph14 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:42 pm

HermioneG. wrote:

I'm a somewhat slow typist. Will I be at a disadvantage for timed finals (which I've heard are entirely computer-based). As an extension of this question, does everyone use computers to take notes in class? I've noticed that I take better notes by hand.

I think it's worth mentioning that half my classes this year didn't even allow laptops, so you may be better off than people who have never gotten decent at handwritten notes

Are you a 1L? I never had a class that banned laptops post-1L, though obviously some part of that is self-selection.

hop

Postby hop » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:44 pm

tomwatts wrote:
hop wrote:Hi, I will be a 1L this fall. I am wondering if I can do an independent research course for my elective during spring semester? There is an area of law in which I'm particularly interested and it looks like I may be able to structure a research project with a gov't agency in this area. Thanks.

You cannot. You have to do something that gets you classroom credits (LinkRemoved). Independent clinical/writing doesn't count. You have to take a class. You might be able to do this paper as a paper for a seminar if you can find a related seminar.

thanks

despina

Postby despina » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:51 pm

Some upper-level classes (particularly seminars) do ban laptops, though I get the sense it's much more common for 1L classes.

That said... even if you can type relatively quickly with two fingers, it really looks odd and unprofessional to me. Might be worth taking a quick online typing class to up your game just so that it doesn't hold you back for any reason. 68 WPM is decent, but many or even most of your classmates will easily type twice that.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:42 am

2L here. About 1/3 of my classes have banned laptops. And I haven't taken a single seminar.

random thought: I learned to type via chatting on instant messenger after school in middle/high school. thank goodness for the interwebs & AOL. definitely a life skill considering the careers of most jd grads (both lawyers & non-lawyers) revolve around words.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:35 am

ph14 wrote:
HermioneG. wrote:

Are you a 1L? I never had a class that banned laptops post-1L, though obviously some part of that is self-selection.

I'm a 3L and half my classes ban Laptops.

owlofminerva

Postby owlofminerva » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:55 am

o0o0o0o wrote:
patogordo wrote:

gotcha, thanks.

Yeah, not quite a necessity to have taken evidence beforehand, though certainly useful. As previously mentioned, there is an evening session that walks you through the basics of introducing evidence (though not really the substantive law of evidence). The only problem I see with not having taken it is if you get paired up against one of those kids who feels they need to object to every little minor evidentiary problem to show off. In that case, you won't really know how to argue against they points they make. Especially problematic in the sessions where they allow anybody in the room to object if they see something objectionable. It might be worth at least a quick scan of an evidence E&E or one of those Barbri law school evidence videos just to have an idea of the basics.

o0o0o0o

Postby o0o0o0o » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:55 am

owlofminerva wrote:
o0o0o0o wrote:
patogordo wrote:

gotcha, thanks.

Yeah, not quite a necessity to have taken evidence beforehand, though certainly useful. As previously mentioned, there is an evening session that walks you through the basics of introducing evidence (though not really the substantive law of evidence). The only problem I see with not having taken it is if you get paired up against one of those kids who feels they need to object to every little minor evidentiary problem to show off. In that case, you won't really know how to argue against they points they make. Especially problematic in the sessions where they allow anybody in the room to object if they see something objectionable. It might be worth at least a quick scan of an evidence E&E or one of those Barbri law school evidence videos just to have an idea of the basics.

Makes sense. Thanks.

SnakySalmon

Postby SnakySalmon » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:06 pm

Do classes that ban laptops seem to be sympathetic to people with writing disabilities?

ph14

Postby ph14 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:07 pm

SnakySalmon wrote:Do classes that ban laptops seem to be sympathetic to people with writing disabilities?

Not sure about writing disabilities but I know someone with disabilities who got to use their laptop in a laptop-banned class (deservedly so). Plus there is a disability service office. I know someone in one of my classes had 2 people come and assist him/her during class. Talk to them and they should be able to help you out.

Mr. Elshal

Postby Mr. Elshal » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:58 pm

Has anyone with a background in accounting taken the Intro to Accounting course as a refresher? If so, was it worth it?

EvelynS

Postby EvelynS » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:30 pm

Has anyone taken Bankruptcy with Roe? Any comments?

delusional

Postby delusional » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:56 am

EvelynS wrote:Has anyone taken Bankruptcy with Roe? Any comments?

Not sensational, not terrible. It's bankruptcy.

hlsperson1111

Postby hlsperson1111 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:42 am

You'll be fine in TAW without evidence first. In fact, I think this is the way to go - I learned more evidence in TAW than I did in evidence, and I think that evidence will make a lot more sense if you've taken TAW first and have some intuitions about how the rules play out in practice.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”