Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
HermioneG.

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby HermioneG. » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:20 pm

Hey all - so I have pretty much exhausted what I can glean from people I know/ course evals, so I thought I would see if anyone on here had experience with these classes, or with the profs in general:

Intro to Finance, 3 day section - Dharan
Constitutional Law of Money- Desan
Privacy, Tech and Natl Security - Heymann
Law and Psychology - Cope
Comparative Constitutional Law - Jackson

I'd love to hear any thoughts about them, especially regarding if any of them need to be ranked high. Also, in general, do the two credit seminars have papers for finals?

ph14

Postby ph14 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:24 pm

HermioneG. wrote:Hey all - so I have pretty much exhausted what I can glean from people I know/ course evals, so I thought I would see if anyone on here had experience with these classes, or with the profs in general:

Intro to Finance, 3 day section - Dharan
Constitutional Law of Money- Desan
Privacy, Tech and Natl Security - Heymann
Law and Psychology - Cope
Comparative Constitutional Law - Jackson

I'd love to hear any thoughts about them, especially regarding if any of them need to be ranked high. Also, in general, do the two credit seminars have papers for finals?

Intro to Finance is pass/fail, so not really a big deal to take it or not. I think most seminars are paper classes. I know someone who took Con Law of Money, I think that was a paper class. Can't really speak to the other classes.

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:30 pm

intro to finance is basically intro to microsoft excel. i stopped going after the first day and just showed up to take the final.

MyNameIsFlynn!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:35 pm

also w/r/t prefs, vigen added a tool that aggregates peoples prefs as they indicated them on HLS Dope. the sample size of 541 sounds like enough for this to be representative

http://hlsdope.org/topcourses

HLS Dope - Top 20 most bookmarked classes in order of popularity wrote:1. Trusts and Estates - Sitkoff
Analytical Methods for Lawyers - Spier
Employment Discrimination - Emens
Copyright and Trademark Litigation - Cendali
5. Privacy, Technology, and National Security - Heymann
Government Lawyer - Whiting
Law and Psychology: The Emotions - Cope
Introduction to Finance Concepts 3-Day Section - Dharan
White Collar Criminal Law and Procedure - Savarese
10. American Jury - Nesson
Challenges of a General Counsel - Wilkins
Bankruptcy - Roe
Capital Punishment in America - Steiker
The Supreme Court's 2013 Term - Kagan
15. Introduction to Accounting - Dharan
Ethics, Economics and the Law - Sandel
Legal Profession - Wilkins
Race and Justice: The Wire - Ogletree
Sex Equality - MacKinnon
20. Hedge Fund Law and Regulation - Mital

Searchparty

Postby Searchparty » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:01 pm

Anyone do the winter writing program outside of Cambridge? I really just want to stay home (no reason to further my writing)... how high is the bar to be outside of residence? Can I say I'm in residence but just never be there?

ph14

Postby ph14 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:30 pm

Searchparty wrote:Anyone do the winter writing program outside of Cambridge? I really just want to stay home (no reason to further my writing)... how high is the bar to be outside of residence? Can I say I'm in residence but just never be there?

Don't lie on a form. Ask your professor. It's entirely at the professor's discretion. My professor did not care at all either way.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:49 pm

I'd also love input on Comparative Constitutional Law from anyone that has experience with Jackson.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:55 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:I'd also love input on Comparative Constitutional Law from anyone that has experience with Jackson.

Why would you want to compare constitutions? We already have the best one ever.

Source:

--ImageRemoved--
Last edited by ph14 on Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:55 pm

i took it with tushnet. decent class but beware it will be full of LLMs.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:00 pm

patogordo wrote:i took it with tushnet. decent class but beware it will be full of LLMs.

Ugh. That's my main concern about the class. I've thus far been able to avoid any class with a large LLM contingent.

How objectively horrible are they on a scale of getting to the free coffee as it's being taken away (low) to going to an event at lunch for the free food and the person in front of you on line takes the last food (stabby).

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:10 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
patogordo wrote:i took it with tushnet. decent class but beware it will be full of LLMs.

Ugh. That's my main concern about the class. I've thus far been able to avoid any class with a large LLM contingent.

How objectively horrible are they on a scale of getting to the free coffee as it's being taken away (low) to going to an event at lunch for the free food and the person in front of you on line takes the last food (stabby).

90% of every class is insufferable anecdotes about some irrelevant constitutional crisis from three dictators ago in ecuador

Mr. Elshal

Postby Mr. Elshal » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:29 pm

patogordo wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:

90% of every class is insufferable anecdotes about some irrelevant constitutional crisis from three dictators ago in ecuador

I'll second this. I'm in a class full of LLMs and this is exactly what happens.

BelugaWhale

Postby BelugaWhale » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:31 pm

Mr. Elshal wrote:
patogordo wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:

but aren't most LLM's barely literate and thus helps the curve?

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:41 pm

BelugaWhale wrote:
Mr. Elshal wrote:I'll second this. I'm in a class full of LLMs and this is exactly what happens.

but aren't most LLM's barely literate and thus helps the curve?

i think comparative/intl law classes are the exception. LLMs actually know a lot about comparative con law because they have a constitutional convention every 5 years when there's a military coup. plus the exam in that class is like "write 3000 words about con law" so it's not like they have to issue spot or anything.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:51 pm

Mr. Elshal wrote:
patogordo wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:

Oh fuck this bullshit. No way in hell that I'm going to suffer through that during my 3L year.

*ranks Comparative Con Law last on my preferences*

On that note, I'm totally open to any 3-4 credit class suggestions if anyone has them. Bonus if I can do a paper option, there's no final exam, or the final exam isn't doctrinal.

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:06 am

this isn't a 3-4 hour class but zarate's national security law class was awesome. it's 1 credit, meets 6 times, you write like two 2-page papers.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:58 am

Is Tushnet actually as bad as the reviews would suggest? For some reason I'm finding it hard to believe.

HermioneG.

Postby HermioneG. » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:08 am

Thanks for the input - I will put comparative con law at the bottom because that sounds like an annoying experience. I can also imagine Law and Psychology being really annoying (personal narratives/talking about feelings-wise) but I'm still tempted to take it. Privacy, Technology, and National Security sounds really interesting too though...I wish there were a better way for us to evaluate courses since it really comes down to the professor. :(

BelugaWhale

Postby BelugaWhale » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:10 am

patogordo wrote:this isn't a 3-4 hour class but zarate's national security law class was awesome. it's 1 credit, meets 6 times, you write like two 2-page papers.

though to be fair to those who want to sign up, the papers are single spaced (2 for midterm and 3 pages for final) and there is an absurd amount of reading for each class

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:22 am

tomwatts wrote:

Is Tushnet actually as bad as the reviews would suggest? For some reason I'm finding it hard to believe.

tushnet is a good professor imo (although a little hard to follow sometimes) and i thought it was a really interesting course, but the LLMs really do ruin it.

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:22 am

BelugaWhale wrote:
patogordo wrote:this isn't a 3-4 hour class but zarate's national security law class was awesome. it's 1 credit, meets 6 times, you write like two 2-page papers.

though to be fair to those who want to sign up, the papers are single spaced (2 for midterm and 3 pages for final) and there is an absurd amount of reading for each class

yea but you're only on call (half of) one day.

BelugaWhale

Postby BelugaWhale » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:33 am

patogordo wrote:
BelugaWhale wrote:

yea but you're only on call (half of) one day.

wait, are you telling me that you don't do readings if you know you won't get cold-called/are on call? :shock: :shock:

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:36 am

BelugaWhale wrote:wait, are you telling me that you don't do readings if you know you won't get cold-called/are on call? :shock: :shock:

I was going to make a sarcastic comment, but that's not really fair because I know there are plenty of people who really do all the assigned reading for every class.

Rest assured that there are also plenty of students who do less than an hour of class prep, regardless of whether there is open cold-calling.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:14 pm

There are people who do all the assigned readings for every class after 1L? Huh.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:22 pm

acrossthelake wrote:There are people who do all the assigned readings for every class after 1L? Huh.

Woops. I meant to limit my statement to 1Ls.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”