Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
t-14orbust

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby t-14orbust » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:27 pm

ph14 wrote:
ph14 wrote:
sjgonzalez3 wrote:Since we're on the topic of cold weather gear--So Cal native here--can anybody talk about men's shoes?

I own a pair of Suede Oxfords, Non-weather proof (I imagine there is a way to fix this) leather boots, and more Vans shoes than I care to admit.

Then pants... all I own are Jeans and Shorts. Does anybody use anything else during the winter?

Boy, it feels really weird to talk about this like we're 5 year olds learning to ride a tricycle.

Jeans have been enough for me during the winter and i'm also a warm-weather native. You're going to want a pair of snow/rain boots though. Let me see if I can give you an idea what you will be dealing with.

Here's what you will be walking through to get to class:

[img]arctic%20tundra[/img][/url]

I've made a huge mistake

ph14

Postby ph14 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:27 pm

t-14orbust wrote:
ph14 wrote:
ph14 wrote:
sjgonzalez3 wrote:Since we're on the topic of cold weather gear--So Cal native here--can anybody talk about men's shoes?

I own a pair of Suede Oxfords, Non-weather proof (I imagine there is a way to fix this) leather boots, and more Vans shoes than I care to admit.

Then pants... all I own are Jeans and Shorts. Does anybody use anything else during the winter?

Boy, it feels really weird to talk about this like we're 5 year olds learning to ride a tricycle.

Jeans have been enough for me during the winter and i'm also a warm-weather native. You're going to want a pair of snow/rain boots though. Let me see if I can give you an idea what you will be dealing with.

[img]arctic%20tundra[/img][/url]

I've made a huge mistake

Even worse, that picture was taken today, April 21st.

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:33 pm

Re: that pic

ASW lied to me.

are you serious about having taken that today?

ph14

Postby ph14 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:35 pm

Pneumonia wrote:Re: that pic

ASW lied to me.

are you serious about having taken that today?

Yeah we got some light snow, not too bad though.

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:38 pm

don't toy with me ph14 I've been shopping for coats all day and I'm in no mood.

koalacity

Postby koalacity » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:40 pm

ph14 wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:
ph14 wrote:Jeans have been enough for me during the winter and i'm also a warm-weather native. You're going to want a pair of snow/rain boots though. Let me see if I can give you an idea what you will be dealing with.

tundra.jpg

I've made a huge mistake

brb depositing at Berkeley

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:09 pm

Yeah I always answer questions honestly at ASW and just hope nobody asks me about the weather. It affected my mood way more than I expected.

koalacity

Postby koalacity » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:11 pm

wert3813 wrote:Yeah I always answer questions honestly at ASW and just hope nobody asks me about the weather. It affected my mood way more than I expected.

I am legitimately concerned about this. Are those light therapy boxes credited?

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:13 pm

koalacity wrote:
ph14 wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:
ph14 wrote:Jeans have been enough for me during the winter and i'm also a warm-weather native. You're going to want a pair of snow/rain boots though. Let me see if I can give you an idea what you will be dealing with.

tundra.jpg

I've made a huge mistake

brb depositing at Berkeley

Lmfao. That poster is shitting with you. It's 65 degrees and sunny today.
Definitely get some boots and I would consider getting some sort of long underwear at some point over your 3 years (both guys and girls). Walking around downtown in the winter or ice skating in Boston Common is brutal without layers. Also your section/friends may want to go skiing so the long johns are clutch then too.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:17 pm

koalacity wrote:
wert3813 wrote:Yeah I always answer questions honestly at ASW and just hope nobody asks me about the weather. It affected my mood way more than I expected.

I am legitimately concerned about this. Are those light therapy boxes credited?

You'll be okay. It's honestly not that bad. You just got to learn to dress appropriately.

MyNameIsFlynn!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:22 pm

Another credited method to avoid the cold is never venturing outside. Thank you tunnel system, GrubHub, and the Hark for making this possible

rathgra

Postby rathgra » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:42 pm

The weather didn't affect my mood nearly as dramatically as the lack of light. (To be fair, I was coming from an even colder climate.) During finals last semester, the sun wasn't fully coming up until 8ish and it was pitch black by 5pm.

It's not a deal breaker by any means, just something I wish I had been a little more prepared for.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:31 pm

For me, it helps that I hate the sun.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:31 pm

tomwatts wrote:For me, it helps that I hate the sun.

You targeted SF, right? It all makes sense now.

despina

Postby despina » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:02 pm

Jumping in to note for winter newbies that down coats are puffy, but not all puffy coats are real down. Down is the inner feathers on certain birds which are very light weight and insulating -- cheaper puffy coats have other fillers which don't necessary offer the same protection even though they may look more stylish. It's worth investing in a real down parka. I would get a long one that goes at least to your knees if not calves. Not so sexy, but keeps you much warmer when walking / standing outdoors. I hated to spend so much money on a coat, but it's totally worth it since you'll be wearing it every day for months on end and will make the difference between constant misery and being able to tolerate the cold.

You might find good out-of-season deals now, actually.

Examples for women:
http://www.landsend.com/products/womens ... /id_264226
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/78728?fe ... -coat-long

rathgra

Postby rathgra » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:23 pm

Now's probably also a good time to invest in boots. Prioritize traction above all else - the sidewalks will be clear on Harvard's campus, but the city of Cambridge is surprisingly terrible at clearing. You can always wear thick socks to warm up your feet, you can't make your boots less slippery. Second priority is that they lace tightly at your ankles/knees (however high they come up) - you don't want snow getting in.

I'm a fan of Bean boots - LL Bean in general is really great for winter wear.

And don't discount the possibility that you might have a higher tolerance for cold than you think. I've gotten through the worst of this past winter just fine with my wool peacoat and leggings under my jeans if I have a long walk. Also, if you live in Groupius, it's a maximum 30 second walk outside to the WCC (where pretty much all of your classes will be) and the tunnels (which connect to every other academic building). I'd guesstimate a similar time from Hastings to another academic building with access to the tunnels (Austin).

(ETA - Disclaimer that I went to undergrad in a colder, windier climate than Boston and knew in advance that I have a high tolerance for cold and could handle the weather. If you're totally new at all of this, invest in stuff now to save money and err on the side of being pleasantly surprised if you have a higher tolerance than you think)
Last edited by rathgra on Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:25 pm

It gets coldest during J-Term. If you can avoid it as a 2L or 3L you should try.

despina

Postby despina » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:52 pm

rathgra wrote:And don't discount the possibility that you might have a higher tolerance for cold than you think. I've gotten through the worst of this past winter just fine with my wool peacoat and leggings under my jeans if I have a long walk. Also, if you live in Groupius, it's a maximum 30 second walk outside to the WCC (where pretty much all of your classes will be) and the tunnels (which connect to every other academic building). I'd guesstimate a similar time from Hastings to another academic building with access to the tunnels (Austin).

Definitely know yourself -- I would never have survived in my wool coat but I also had to do a lot of walking / waiting for busses. I'd just add that even if you live in Gropius and don't have to spend much time outside every day just to eat and go to class, you'll be severely limiting your general enjoyment of life / participation in social functions if you confine yourself to things within a few blocks of the law school from November - March just because you can't stand the thought of going out in the cold. Walking 15 min from WCC to a friend's apartment a few blocks beyond Porter when it's 15 degrees and snowing is no big deal if you've got the right gear, but can seem totally daunting otherwise.

Totally second the suggestion that you want good boots with traction and a good fit over your pants. I'd say at least mid-calf is good if not higher, so that you can risk stepping into a snow bank and not get your pants soaked. I love Merrells -- I bought my current pair in 2008 and they are still going strong!

BelugaWhale

Postby BelugaWhale » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:14 pm

how high should sitkoff be preferened for trust and estates to be safe in getting the course?

ph14

Postby ph14 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:15 pm

BelugaWhale wrote:how high should sitkoff be preferened for trust and estates to be safe in getting the course?

My friend preferenced Sitkoff 1st and was waitlisted, though he was not too high on the waitlist and he got in. That was for the Fall 2013 section, which was in the afternoon. I imagine it was less competitive for the Spring 2014 section since that was at 8:00 am. What time is the offering that you are looking at?

BelugaWhale

Postby BelugaWhale » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:22 pm

ph14 wrote:
BelugaWhale wrote:how high should sitkoff be preferened for trust and estates to be safe in getting the course?

My friend preferenced Sitkoff 1st and was waitlisted, though he was not too high on the waitlist and he got in. That was for the Fall 2013 section, which was in the afternoon. I imagine it was less competitive for the Spring 2014 section since that was at 8:00 am. What time is the offering that you are looking at?

8:10am

ph14

Postby ph14 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:23 pm

BelugaWhale wrote:
ph14 wrote:

8:10am

Yeah, I assume that's going to impact the rankings, since 8:00 am classes tend to depress enrollment. I still think I would rank it #1 to be safe though. It's a popular course.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:52 am

Though that photo is a joke, it did snow within the past week.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:01 pm

acrossthelake wrote:Though that photo is a joke, it did snow within the past week.

Snow is a strong word for what that precipitation was...

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:04 pm

BlakcMajikc wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:Though that photo is a joke, it did snow within the past week.

Snow is a strong word for what that precipitation was...

that 0.01" of snow delayed my flight for 3 hours though

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”