Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
lawlorbust

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby lawlorbust » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:06 am

Last edited by lawlorbust on Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:10 am

ph14 wrote:
lawlorbust wrote:maybe it's been asked (sorry - cbf'ed with the search function), but any general advice for a 0L? or to frame it in a different way, what would you, knowing all you do about HLS now with your year(s) of experience, do differently if you started from the beginning?

Thanks for searching before asking. One good piece of general advice that comes to mind is don't worry or get caught up in what everyone else is doing. Do what you think will work for you, which might be completely different than what other people in your section are doing.

This and don't let your classmates goals become your goals are the best pieces of advice about this place.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:46 am

BelugaWhale wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:
Searchparty wrote:I, without much foresight, scheduled to begin work the week of the HLR competition (vacations later). I really want to take it seriously and I think I can still put in substantial hours (although I am working 9-5), but I'm very concerned as I hear everyone works all day, every day on the competition. Is it really worth pushing my start date back and making myself look (feel) stupid to my employer? It's unpaid, and they seem very, very flexible, but I still feel badly about it.

If the question is: would you rather push your start date back by a week to get onto HLR, obviously yes.
But I think my question is: can I realistically get on HLR by working ~3-5 hours a day on it (except the weekend days I'll work more)?

I haven't heard of anyone finishing, let alone finishing & making law review, in that little time.

I have a friend who goes to NYU that made it onto their law review while working the first week of our SA.

I'm pretty sure the Harvard law review competition is one of the worst ones. I'm only referring to the Harvard one.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:57 am

wert3813 wrote:
ph14 wrote:
lawlorbust wrote:maybe it's been asked (sorry - cbf'ed with the search function), but any general advice for a 0L? or to frame it in a different way, what would you, knowing all you do about HLS now with your year(s) of experience, do differently if you started from the beginning?

Thanks for searching before asking. One good piece of general advice that comes to mind is don't worry or get caught up in what everyone else is doing. Do what you think will work for you, which might be completely different than what other people in your section are doing.

This and don't let your classmates goals become your goals are the best pieces of advice about this place.

+1.

Friends don't let friends subcite for secondary journals just because everyone else is.

polareagle

Postby polareagle » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:21 pm

Last edited by polareagle on Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ga208

Postby ga208 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:38 am

Question - If you have accepted HLS, how late in the spring/summer can you request a 1 year deferment if something comes up?

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:32 am

ga208 wrote:Question - If you have accepted HLS, how late in the spring/summer can you request a 1 year deferment if something comes up?

May 1 IIRC is the date which they will except a deferment for any reason or no reason. But I bet it would not be that hard "if something comes up." Doubt anyone here will know that though. Ask Admissions.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:33 pm

Someone asked upstream how helpful the law school is in times of personal distress. From personal experience, and from what I've heard from friends, they really do try to be as supportive as they can reasonably be. I do urge any students going through any serious personal issues to let the Dean of Students office know. At the very least, they often can get a note-taker set up in your classes.

Searchparty

Postby Searchparty » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:26 pm

TripTrip wrote:
wert3813 wrote:
ph14 wrote:

+1.

Friends don't let friends subcite for secondary journals just because everyone else is.

I also say, check out the HLS Administrative Updates for postings, generally for RA positions, of things that you're actually interested in. Get resume line items, if you must, by doing things you want to do, rather than feel pressured into doing.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:27 pm

Searchparty wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
wert3813 wrote:
ph14 wrote:

+1.

I also say, check out the HLS Administrative Updates for postings, generally for RA positions, of things that you're actually interested in. Get resume line items, if you must, by doing things you want to do, rather than feel pressured into doing.

I would recommend worrying about resume line items more as a 2L than as a 1L.

delusional

Postby delusional » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:40 pm

acrossthelake wrote:Someone asked upstream how helpful the law school is in times of personal distress. From personal experience, and from what I've heard from friends, they really do try to be as supportive as they can reasonably be. I do urge any students going through any serious personal issues to let the Dean of Students office know. At the very least, they often can get a note-taker set up in your classes.

I would add that you should approach them from the angle of a personal problem and move toward requesting accommodation, rather than approaching them for accommodation due to a personal problem. If that makes any sense. For example, if you are dealing with an illness and you think it would be helpful to listen to taped classes on your own time, don't go to the DOS and say "can I get the classes taped due to illness". Go to DOS and ask for help and resources to help deal with illness and then move toward the specific request afterward.

*Note: I have no idea if consistent taping of class is ever possible. I just made up this example based on some other situations and needs.

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:54 pm

This one is a softball so feel free to ignore it but..

I'm from the south and don't own a coat. I have a few sweaters which are what I brought to ASW, although it ended up being nice so I didn't really need them. Obviously I need to buy a good coat but idk what that even means.

I've been looking online and am wondering if anyone has any general criteria for selecting one? Does it need to be waterproof? Hood? Short/long? Do I need something good enough an arctic expedition?

I will pay basically any price to be warm, and also warmth >>>>> style (although I'd take both).

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:05 pm

Pneumonia wrote:This one is a softball so feel free to ignore it but..

I'm from the south and don't own a coat. I have a few sweaters which are what I brought to ASW, although it ended up being nice so I didn't really need them. Obviously I need to buy a good coat but idk what that even means.

I've been looking online and am wondering if anyone has any general criteria for selecting one? Does it need to be waterproof? Hood? Short/long? Do I need something good enough an arctic expedition?

I will pay basically any price to be warm, and also warmth >>>>> style (although I'd take both).

You'll probs want a full-fledged parka/down jacket. It's not only cold, but extremely windy in Boston/Cambridge. Doesn't need to be waterproof. Here are some examples. Your preference if you want it to be 3/4 or not.

http://www.landsend.com/products/mens-e ... &source=GS
--LinkRemoved--
--LinkRemoved--
http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc- ... ALT%20GREY

Someone else can comment on this, but almost every white person from Boston has a North Face fleece. I don't fall into that category, but you may find it useful for the fall/spring when the weather doesn't know what it wants to do.
http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc- ... ISE%20GREY

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:07 pm

yea those look decent. the other advantage of a longer parka vs just a regular shell jacket is that you can wear it with a suit without looking completely ridiculous and avoid buying an overcoat.

koalacity

Postby koalacity » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:16 pm

On a related note, I am also from a warm climate, and don't quite know how to survive in the snow.

Ladies, what bag(s) do you bring to class? In undergrad, I would bring my regular purse and my laptop in a small sleeve case, but I also didn't have to walk very far from where I parked my car, nor did I have to worry about rain/snow. Would you recommend a backpack? A large tote-style purse that fits a laptop (my concern with this option is the potential for stuff to get wet)? A large laptop bag that I can shove some of my purse items inside? I don't know where I'm living yet, but it could be up to a 15 minute walk from campus, so practicality may be as important as style.

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:20 pm

i'm not a chick but you could just get a longchamp tote like every single girl in the city and presumably the world at this point

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:42 pm

patogordo wrote:i'm not a chick but you could just get a longchamp tote like every single girl in the city and presumably the world at this point

Just add a North Face/Canada Goose jacket and Hunter boots and you too can become the New England basic bitch!

rathgra

Postby rathgra » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:55 pm

koalacity wrote:
Ladies, what bag(s) do you bring to class? In undergrad, I would bring my regular purse and my laptop in a small sleeve case, but I also didn't have to walk very far from where I parked my car, nor did I have to worry about rain/snow. Would you recommend a backpack? A large tote-style purse that fits a laptop (my concern with this option is the potential for stuff to get wet)? A large laptop bag that I can shove some of my purse items inside? I don't know where I'm living yet, but it could be up to a 15 minute walk from campus, so practicality may be as important as style.

Most people (myself included) use backpacks - textbooks are very large, so you're lugging around a ton of heavy stuff. You're going to want to spread the weight out between two shoulders. The most common brand I recognize is Hershel, I use the LL Bean one everyone in New England had in middle school. I really like it - it was cheap, durable, and, although not impervious to water, does a good job keeping my stuff dry in all but the heaviest of storms.

You can get a locker on campus if you live off campus - I live in the dorms, so I don't know about how much that cuts down what you're carrying back and forth to campus day to day.

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:20 pm

Thanks for all the info on coats. Looks like it's gonna take more of an investment than I thought to keep warm. On that note if there are any 3L's who will be moving somewhere warmer this summer/fall, feel free to PM me if you'd like to donate/sell any of your old coats. I'm a medium-sized guy and my wife is a medium-sized girl. Thanks!

codyoneill

Postby codyoneill » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:44 pm

Pneumonia wrote:Thanks for all the info on coats. Looks like it's gonna take more of an investment than I thought to keep warm. On that note if there are any 3L's who will be moving somewhere warmer this summer/fall, feel free to PM me if you'd like to donate/sell any of your old coats. I'm a medium-sized guy and my wife is a medium-sized girl. Thanks!

I'm enjoying your choice of username in this context.

Also, if you're trying to save cash on a winter coat, take the red line two stops this fall and go to Buffalo Exchange, a fashionable consignment shop. My wife got a big puffy winter coat there for, I don't know, fifteen or twenty bucks.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:46 pm

codyoneill wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:Thanks for all the info on coats. Looks like it's gonna take more of an investment than I thought to keep warm. On that note if there are any 3L's who will be moving somewhere warmer this summer/fall, feel free to PM me if you'd like to donate/sell any of your old coats. I'm a medium-sized guy and my wife is a medium-sized girl. Thanks!

I'm enjoying your choice of username in this context.

Also, if you're trying to save cash on a winter coat, take the red line two stops this fall and go to Buffalo Exchange, a fashionable consignment shop. My wife got a big puffy winter coat there for, I don't know, fifteen or twenty bucks.

And buy during the summer if you can, I think they are often on sale then.

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:00 pm

codyoneill wrote:Also, if you're trying to save cash on a winter coat, take the red line two stops this fall and go to Buffalo Exchange, a fashionable consignment shop. My wife got a big puffy winter coat there for, I don't know, fifteen or twenty bucks.

ph14 wrote:And buy during the summer if you can, I think they are often on sale then.

Will do, thank you both!

sjgonzalez3

Postby sjgonzalez3 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:14 pm

Since we're on the topic of cold weather gear--So Cal native here--can anybody talk about men's shoes?

I own a pair of Suede Oxfords, Non-weather proof (I imagine there is a way to fix this) leather boots, and more Vans shoes than I care to admit.

Then pants... all I own are Jeans and Shorts. Does anybody use anything else during the winter?

Boy, it feels really weird to talk about this like we're 5 year olds learning to ride a tricycle.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:16 pm

sjgonzalez3 wrote:Since we're on the topic of cold weather gear--So Cal native here--can anybody talk about men's shoes?

I own a pair of Suede Oxfords, Non-weather proof (I imagine there is a way to fix this) leather boots, and more Vans shoes than I care to admit.

Then pants... all I own are Jeans and Shorts. Does anybody use anything else during the winter?

Boy, it feels really weird to talk about this like we're 5 year olds learning to ride a tricycle.

Jeans have been enough for me during the winter and i'm also a warm-weather native. You're going to want a pair of snow/rain boots though. Let me see if I can give you an idea what you will be dealing with.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:21 pm

ph14 wrote:
sjgonzalez3 wrote:Since we're on the topic of cold weather gear--So Cal native here--can anybody talk about men's shoes?

Jeans have been enough for me during the winter and i'm also a warm-weather native. You're going to want a pair of snow/rain boots though. Let me see if I can give you an idea what you will be dealing with.

Here's what you will be walking through to get to class:

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”