Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ph14

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby ph14 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:08 pm

tomwatts wrote:
ph14 wrote:
emu42 wrote:Are we in rough shape for academia/a top (federal, I guess?) clerkship if we don't get on the Law Review? I'd imagine both are still possible but considerably harder.

Not necessarily. We have had SCOTUS clerks who weren't on law review and we have people with top feeder clerkships who weren't on law review.

That being said, the clerkship process is much easier if you are on HLR than if you're not. There are other qualifications that will at least partially substitute for HLR (BSA, Ames Moot Court Finalist, top 5% grades, etc.), but HLR makes it easier.

I agree.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:30 pm

emu42 wrote:Are we in rough shape for academia/a top (federal, I guess?) clerkship if we don't get on the Law Review? I'd imagine both are still possible but considerably harder.

Absolutely not.

Grades + Professors matter for clerkships.

Publishing matters for academia.

BelugaWhale

Postby BelugaWhale » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:42 pm

I know warren is the tax god but Im thinking of doing tax with Halperin, anybody know/have expierience with him?

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:52 pm

BelugaWhale wrote:I know warren is the tax god but Im thinking of doing tax with Halperin, anybody know/have expierience with him?

Don't do it. I've heard nothing but bad things from my friends in his class now.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:35 pm

I said this a few pages back, but I'll say it again: everyone knows Warren is great for Tax, but Kaplow gets pretty good reviews, and I strongly suspect that he's a hidden gem. The other two have awful reviews, though I have no first-hand or second-hand experience with their teaching.

EvMont

Postby EvMont » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:04 am

Can someone please explain how taking big law SA position might affect grant aid at HLS? TIA!

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:14 am

It increases your student contribution (which subtracts from your grant aid). For more details, go here or use the calculator.

EvMont

Postby EvMont » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:23 am

tomwatts wrote:It increases your student contribution (which subtracts from your grant aid). For more details, go here or use the calculator.

Thanks for the links! I hadn't discovered these.

BelugaWhale

Postby BelugaWhale » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:20 am

anybody taking sargentich's jurisprudence: legal ideas class? Mainly wanna know how's the workload and how are grades done (final exam, paper, etc)

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:24 am

BelugaWhale wrote:anybody taking sargentich's jurisprudence: legal ideas class? Mainly wanna know how's the workload and how are grades done (final exam, paper, etc)

It's an any-day takehome exam

I love Sarge, but you have to be pretty serious about theory to take his classes and do well on his exams.
Last edited by TripTrip on Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:31 am

I took a Sarg class once. Most of it went over my head, but I enjoyed what I got out of it and gladly took the P.

BelugaWhale

Postby BelugaWhale » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:33 am

TripTrip wrote:
BelugaWhale wrote:anybody taking sargentich's jurisprudence: legal ideas class? Mainly wanna know how's the workload and how are grades done (final exam, paper, etc)

It's an any-day takehome exam: http://hlsdope.org/class.php?id=102

I love Sarge, but you have to be pretty serious about theory to take his classes and do well on his exams.

thanks! looks like it's tax with Halperin then

nunumaster

Postby nunumaster » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:14 pm

How much would NYU have to offer in aid for you to have picked it over HLS at 85K?
Would love to hear some of your opinions http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=228145

Searchparty

Postby Searchparty » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:26 pm

I, without much foresight, scheduled to begin work the week of the HLR competition (vacations later). I really want to take it seriously and I think I can still put in substantial hours (although I am working 9-5), but I'm very concerned as I hear everyone works all day, every day on the competition. Is it really worth pushing my start date back and making myself look (feel) stupid to my employer? It's unpaid, and they seem very, very flexible, but I still feel badly about it.

If the question is: would you rather push your start date back by a week to get onto HLR, obviously yes.
But I think my question is: can I realistically get on HLR by working ~3-5 hours a day on it (except the weekend days I'll work more)?

ph14

Postby ph14 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:31 pm

Searchparty wrote:I, without much foresight, scheduled to begin work the week of the HLR competition (vacations later). I really want to take it seriously and I think I can still put in substantial hours (although I am working 9-5), but I'm very concerned as I hear everyone works all day, every day on the competition. Is it really worth pushing my start date back and making myself look (feel) stupid to my employer? It's unpaid, and they seem very, very flexible, but I still feel badly about it.

If the question is: would you rather push your start date back by a week to get onto HLR, obviously yes.
But I think my question is: can I realistically get on HLR by working ~3-5 hours a day on it (except the weekend days I'll work more)?

I think it would be a good idea to push back your start date. But give me some more details, are you working for a judge? That could be a delicate situation that you should handle carefully, though I imagine that most judges would be very understanding.

It's impossible to say whether you could "realistically get on" working "~3-5 hours a day." I will, say, though that I think it will put you at a more than insignificant disadvantage. If it were me, I would get my job pushed back, which shouldn't really be a big issue other than a mildly embarrassing email, so that I could spend more than my spare hours on the writing competition. It's possible to get on though. People have done it while working. People have done it while simultaneously doing the writing competition for the school from which they are transferring from.

That's just my opinion, though. Others may feel different. Feel free to PM me if you want more thoughts (though keep in mind I can't give any strategic advice).

despina

Postby despina » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:16 pm

I have no special knowledge about HLR, just wanted to second the notion that it's no big deal to politely ask your summer employer to push back your start (and end) date. The worst they can say is "no," but since you're working for free and they're lawyers, they'll probably understand "I'd like to take the Harvard Law Review competition."

Don't know anything about judges so I'd defer to ph14 on that.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:47 pm

Searchparty wrote:I, without much foresight, scheduled to begin work the week of the HLR competition (vacations later). I really want to take it seriously and I think I can still put in substantial hours (although I am working 9-5), but I'm very concerned as I hear everyone works all day, every day on the competition. Is it really worth pushing my start date back and making myself look (feel) stupid to my employer? It's unpaid, and they seem very, very flexible, but I still feel badly about it.

No. Just no. I worked about 10-12 hours a day on it and I still ran right up to the deadline. Push back your start date.

EvelynS

Postby EvelynS » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:32 pm

Any recommendations on "must take" business law courses with particular professors (already took core ones like Tax, Corporations, Sec Reg, Corporate Finance, and M&A)?

lawlorbust

Postby lawlorbust » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:18 am

Last edited by lawlorbust on Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:55 am

lawlorbust wrote:maybe it's been asked (sorry - cbf'ed with the search function), but any general advice for a 0L? or to frame it in a different way, what would you, knowing all you do about HLS now with your year(s) of experience, do differently if you started from the beginning?

Thanks for searching before asking. One good piece of general advice that comes to mind is don't worry or get caught up in what everyone else is doing. Do what you think will work for you, which might be completely different than what other people in your section are doing.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:33 am

lawlorbust wrote:maybe it's been asked (sorry - cbf'ed with the search function), but any general advice for a 0L? or to frame it in a different way, what would you, knowing all you do about HLS now with your year(s) of experience, do differently if you started from the beginning?

My main piece of advice is that people are more willing to help you if they see you took the time to do the best you could on your own, first. I've had a lot of people give me particularly fruitful help when I've done this.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:33 am

nunumaster wrote:How much would NYU have to offer in aid for you to have picked it over HLS at 85K?
Would love to hear some of your opinions http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=228145

With HLS at 85K, I wouldn't take NYU at all.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:34 am

I haven't heard of anyone finishing, let alone finishing & making law review, in that little time.

BelugaWhale

Postby BelugaWhale » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:54 am

acrossthelake wrote:

I haven't heard of anyone finishing, let alone finishing & making law review, in that little time.

I have a friend who goes to NYU that made it onto their law review while working the first week of our SA.

BelugaWhale

Postby BelugaWhale » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:56 am

ph14 wrote:

Thanks for searching before asking. One good piece of general advice that comes to mind is don't worry or get caught up in what everyone else is doing. Do what you think will work for you, which might be completely different than what other people in your section are doing.

my main piece of advice is to study for the test and this doesn't necessarily overlap with doing the readings or studying for class ( in the sense that doing all the readings meticulously, if it helps you for the final, go for it, but don't read for the sake of being prepared when getting cold called). You're grade depends only on one final, so make sure to study for that.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”