Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
BlakcMajikc

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby BlakcMajikc » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:46 am

TripTrip wrote:I suppose it would be helpful if I cited where I'm getting these statistics: http://hlsdope.org/eip

You have to verify that you're an HLS student to see the stats, but once you do you can filter by market and see the overall percentages of bids-->interviews and interviews-->offers, among a ton of other things.

That data doesn't really tell you much. There is very very strong self-selection bias when it comes to EIP.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:50 am

BlakcMajikc wrote:
TripTrip wrote:I suppose it would be helpful if I cited where I'm getting these statistics: http://hlsdope.org/eip

You have to verify that you're an HLS student to see the stats, but once you do you can filter by market and see the overall percentages of bids-->interviews and interviews-->offers, among a ton of other things.

That data doesn't really tell you much. There is very very strong self-selection bias when it comes to EIP.

Also, I'm pretty sure 0Ls dont have access to that data (someone correct me if I'm wrong) so are you screening for jd17 emails? (because you should be from an ethical standpoint.)

politics89

Postby politics89 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:56 am

Does anyone have one of those weird general scholarships? If so, do you know about the renewability of them? Thanks!

tomato123

Postby tomato123 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:44 pm

I am a bit unaware of historical employment stats, so here I go... was 2009 a year where HLS grads were notoriously destroyed? Is this an especially atypical career trajectory of HLS grads?

ph14

Postby ph14 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:04 pm

tomato123 wrote:I am a bit unaware of historical employment stats, so here I go... was 2009 a year where HLS grads were notoriously destroyed? Is this an especially atypical career trajectory of HLS grads?

Here you go.

MyNameIsFlynn!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:22 pm

out of curiosity, are there people out there who were happy with their multisection outcomes?

EvelynS

Postby EvelynS » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:54 pm

I am also curious about that. How possible it is to get off the waitlist for Negotiation? :shock:

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:57 pm

Waitlists move faster than you might expect. I don't think Negotiation tends to move much, though.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:02 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:out of curiosity, are there people out there who were happy with their multisection outcomes?

Mine are tolerable. Got one class I wanted and single digits on the waitlist for the class I need.

Anyone have a thought on how feasible getting off the waitlist for NW Jan term and Admin in the spring for Stevenson is? I'm in the 40s for both.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:36 pm

My unsupported speculation is that Negotiation for January ought to move a decent amount (though not a ton) during January preferencing (which takes place in October). If you're 250 on the waitlist, you're probably not getting in. If you're 5, you're getting in. If you 40-something (or 60-something, in my case), I'm not sure.

My strong suspicion is that being in the 40s for spring Admin with Stevenson gets you in. You might have to wait until October (or possibly January) before it happens, but it'll happen.

BelugaWhale

Postby BelugaWhale » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:00 am

how does firesale policies work? like if there are 2 open spots in a course, how does the registrar determine who gets it?

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:06 am

Easiest / Least Time Consuming or Most Interesting Consuming Legal Profession Classes?

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:23 am

BelugaWhale wrote:how does firesale policies work? like if there are 2 open spots in a course, how does the registrar determine who gets it?

Firesale is just a much quicker version (aka one day version) of the waitlist. So your waitlist # still matters, it's just that folks above you might not submit to get the seat.

BelugaWhale

Postby BelugaWhale » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:42 am

BlakcMajikc wrote:
BelugaWhale wrote:how does firesale policies work? like if there are 2 open spots in a course, how does the registrar determine who gets it?

Firesale is just a much quicker version (aka one day version) of the waitlist. So your waitlist # still matters, it's just that folks above you might not submit to get the seat.

can i just say how ridiculous Klarman's waitlist is...I preferenced first and I'm in the 160's...ive heard others who preferenced first who are over 220.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:27 am

BelugaWhale wrote:
BlakcMajikc wrote:

can i just say how ridiculous Klarman's waitlist is...I preferenced first and I'm in the 160's...ive heard others who preferenced first who are over 220.

Wow that is nuts. Sorry to hear it.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:16 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:Easiest / Least Time Consuming or Most Interesting Consuming Legal Profession Classes?

Charn

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:24 pm

Deleted, thanks Wert.
Last edited by Pneumonia on Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:49 pm

BelugaWhale wrote:
BlakcMajikc wrote:

I wish we had had the past preferencing information so we would know the kind of risk we're taking by preferening Klarmen first.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:56 pm

Pneumonia wrote:
Please don't quote, and thanks!

Best bet is just to ask financial aid or check their FAQs.

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:58 pm

wert3813 wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:
Please don't quote, and thanks!

Best bet is just to ask financial aid or check their FAQs.

Thanks wert. I know its a super-specific question. I did ask finaid at ASW this past weeknd, but the only answer that they would give me was to say "we use the information that is submitted to us." It was strange. Even when I asked them like super-specifically about this I couldn't really get an answer. Made me think they are possibly less formulaic about the whole thing than the website indicates.

MyNameIsFlynn!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:20 pm

TripTrip wrote:
BelugaWhale wrote:
BlakcMajikc wrote:

I wish we had had the past preferencing information so we would know the kind of risk we're taking by preferening Klarmen first.

It's not entirely clear to me why they don't release the same sort of info for preferencing that they do for EIP. I assume they just don't give a fuck. Giving us access to the number of students who pref'd a class and quartile statistics for those who actually got the class would at least make the process somewhat more transparent. This just felt like throwing darts blindly

I also pref'd Klarman first and am 180s on the wait list. Of my top 5 prefs, I got into one and am 150+ for all the rest. And they all had at least 70 seats. just fucking lol at this bullshit system

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:04 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
It's not entirely clear to me why they don't release the same sort of info for preferencing that they do for EIP. I assume they just don't give a fuck.

Considering that half of the links they ever send out to us are broken, they often use surveymonkey instead of the far more advanced qualtrics that they have free access to, and they sent an e-mail out this year about how to use Gmail filters as if it were a brand new thing and not part of the original launch of Gmail in the early 2000s, I'm going to guess that it has more to do with technological competency.

The technology systems we have in our classrooms are actually really easy to use from an user interface perspective, yet so many faculty members require the IT dept. to "set it up" for them(as in, press some obviously labeled buttons). Don't assume malice where you can assume lack of expertise. I think the office actually fairly genuinely wants to be helpful.If students were to bring this to their attention, and suggest that maybe ITS could figure it out, this could happen.

On a side note, I think this is fairly endemic to the legal profession itself. Harvard Law seems downright sophisticated next to the ancient systems and computers you'll be working with at even the top law firms. At least Harvard has invested money in fairly easy-to-use systems and our equipment is up-to-date. In stark contrast, I had to constantly hit "save" with stressful panic this past summer because my firm's laptop had a tendency to just crash for no reason at all (and possibly came out when I was still in high school).

ph14

Postby ph14 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:18 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
It's not entirely clear to me why they don't release the same sort of info for preferencing that they do for EIP. I assume they just don't give a fuck.

Considering that half of the links they ever send out to us are broken, they often use surveymonkey instead of the far more advanced qualtrics that they have free access to, and they sent an e-mail out this year about how to use Gmail filters as if it were a brand new thing and not part of the original launch of Gmail in the early 2000s, I'm going to guess that it has more to do with technological competency.

The technology systems we have in our classrooms are actually really easy to use from an user interface perspective, yet so many faculty members require the IT dept. to "set it up" for them(as in, press some obviously labeled buttons). Don't assume malice where you can assume lack of expertise. I think the office actually fairly genuinely wants to be helpful.If students were to bring this to their attention, and suggest that maybe ITS could figure it out, this could happen.

On a side note, I think this is fairly endemic to the legal profession itself. Harvard Law seems downright sophisticated next to the ancient systems and computers you'll be working with at even the top law firms. At least Harvard has invested money in fairly easy-to-use systems and our equipment is up-to-date. In stark contrast, I had to constantly hit "save" with stressful panic this past summer because my firm's laptop had a tendency to just crash for no reason at all (and possibly came out when I was still in high school).

I'm not sure why they don't give 3Ls priority in classes (or go by number of credits already completed). That system makes the most sense to me.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:09 pm

HKS has an entirely different system for allocating classes, but it's probably even worse. I think that, at a certain point, when we're thinking about allocation of scarce goods, we have to wonder why they're scarce in the first place. Why does everyone want to take the same few classes? In some areas, we just don't have enough really solid teachers. (They're all good scholars, I'm sure, but I'm talking about teaching ability here.)

In Con Law, I think HLS is doing a decent job. Even if you don't take 14th with Klarman, your alternatives are pretty good (Feldman, etc.). In some of the other subjects (Tax, to some extent Corporations and Evidence), it's a lot worse. There are people who say — and I think this is not entirely fair — that if you don't take Tax with Warren, you may as well not take it at all. Thus, Warren's Tax is unreasonably hard to get into.

That being said, I've been successful so far at putting together a class schedule that I liked each semester, and it looks like next year is going to work out pretty well, too. I bid pretty ambitiously on the assumption that waitlists would move kind of a lot, especially for the spring, so, as a consequence, I might end up with nothing that I want in the spring (I have nothing now), but that probably won't happen.

Searchparty

Postby Searchparty » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:32 pm

ph14 wrote:I'm not sure why they don't give 3Ls priority in classes (or go by number of credits already completed). That system makes the most sense to me.

I wondered if they do do this. I couldn't find a page saying that your assigned priority number is purely random. It would make sense to give 3Ls at least a slight advantage in priority (chance of getting a high priority number, let's say, would be 65/35 (3L/2L)).

Also... if I'm ranked better than 20 on WL for Feldman's 1A (out of 100 seats), chances? Anyone have any experience with how quickly his (or Klarman's) WL moves?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”