Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
delusional
Posts: 1190
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby delusional » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:25 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
delusional wrote:Speaking of which, what is the deal with the Harvard and bathrooms? Notable statistics: 1600 Students, 200 Faculty, 150 administrative personnel, 2 bathrooms. Am I the only one who notices this?


?????? 4 bathrooms on first floor of pound?(2 per gender) and another additional set per floor???

Okay, I was exaggerating. But there are what, seven classrooms that hold eighty people apiece? And everyone uses them at the same time - right before and after class, and during a break, if the class has one.

The most egregious, though, is in the Hark. There are hundreds of people there from 12-1, and there is one bathroom per gender.

acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:47 pm

delusional wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:
delusional wrote:Speaking of which, what is the deal with the Harvard and bathrooms? Notable statistics: 1600 Students, 200 Faculty, 150 administrative personnel, 2 bathrooms. Am I the only one who notices this?


?????? 4 bathrooms on first floor of pound?(2 per gender) and another additional set per floor???

Okay, I was exaggerating. But there are what, seven classrooms that hold eighty people apiece? And everyone uses them at the same time - right before and after class, and during a break, if the class has one.

The most egregious, though, is in the Hark. There are hundreds of people there from 12-1, and there is one bathroom per gender.


I've never had to wait more than one person in line for the bathroom. Maybe you're just using them at unfortunate times. I also don't eat at the Hark unless I have to.

Re: Dorms. I don't live in one, but there's a range. Some have bathrooms and common rooms. And they're law students only, no grad students and no undergrads. I couldn't stand the idea of living in a dorm for a 5th year in a row, though, so I bolted for an apartment near campus. I'm quite happy with that instead.

spek
Posts: 385
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:40 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby spek » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:01 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
delusional wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:
delusional wrote:Speaking of which, what is the deal with the Harvard and bathrooms? Notable statistics: 1600 Students, 200 Faculty, 150 administrative personnel, 2 bathrooms. Am I the only one who notices this?


?????? 4 bathrooms on first floor of pound?(2 per gender) and another additional set per floor???

Okay, I was exaggerating. But there are what, seven classrooms that hold eighty people apiece? And everyone uses them at the same time - right before and after class, and during a break, if the class has one.

The most egregious, though, is in the Hark. There are hundreds of people there from 12-1, and there is one bathroom per gender.


I've never had to wait more than one person in line for the bathroom. Maybe you're just using them at unfortunate times. I also don't eat at the Hark unless I have to.

Re: Dorms. I don't live in one, but there's a range. Some have bathrooms and common rooms. And they're law students only, no grad students and no undergrads. I couldn't stand the idea of living in a dorm for a 5th year in a row, though, so I bolted for an apartment near campus. I'm quite happy with that instead.


How did you go about finding your apartment? And how hard is it to get one close to campus? Does one have to start looking pretty early on?

acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:15 pm

spek wrote:
How did you go about finding your apartment? And how hard is it to get one close to campus? Does one have to start looking pretty early on?


Craigslist. Not hard, just...expensive. I did my looking in mid-March during Spring Break because I was too busy to look any other time. August is a bit too late, but March-June is good.

User avatar
ebeth
Posts: 214
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:51 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby ebeth » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:16 pm

delusional wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:
freestallion wrote:I know there's a common stereotype that Harvard is highly competitive/there are a lot of gunners. Is there any truth to this or not? I'm about 99% sure about attending HLS and this is the only thing that's making me nervous!


I'm going to answer this from anecdotes from my section that show that we're not gunners, but I'm going to do this via PM. I'm outed enough already (OH HELLO EVERYONE who knows who I am in real life and who might be reading this. Also hello nice person who introduced himself to me in the library. I don't remember your face anymore, but feel free to introduce yourself again or friend me on facebook), but I might try to maintain some semblance of privacy for myself.

Also, re: transcript. It isn't special for Harvard. A large # require transcripts from everyone. Some don't from anyone. They won't specially request from Harvard students, to my knowledge. You can actually calculate a GPA off of your grades, it just wouldn't be "official".
Now I feel left out. Also, if you're in section four, you totally are gunners.


Alright, I know this was said a long time ago, and I'm sorry to waste space in an otherwise helpful thread, but I have to say that this is a myth fabricated by people who are jealous of section four's greatness.

delusional
Posts: 1190
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby delusional » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:35 pm

ebeth wrote:
delusional wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:
freestallion wrote:I know there's a common stereotype that Harvard is highly competitive/there are a lot of gunners. Is there any truth to this or not? I'm about 99% sure about attending HLS and this is the only thing that's making me nervous!


I'm going to answer this from anecdotes from my section that show that we're not gunners, but I'm going to do this via PM. I'm outed enough already (OH HELLO EVERYONE who knows who I am in real life and who might be reading this. Also hello nice person who introduced himself to me in the library. I don't remember your face anymore, but feel free to introduce yourself again or friend me on facebook), but I might try to maintain some semblance of privacy for myself.

Also, re: transcript. It isn't special for Harvard. A large # require transcripts from everyone. Some don't from anyone. They won't specially request from Harvard students, to my knowledge. You can actually calculate a GPA off of your grades, it just wouldn't be "official".
Now I feel left out. Also, if you're in section four, you totally are gunners.


Alright, I know this was said a long time ago, and I'm sorry to waste space in an otherwise helpful thread, but I have to say that this is a myth fabricated by people who are jealous of section four's greatness.

Relax, I was just trying to get a reaction.

User avatar
ebeth
Posts: 214
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:51 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby ebeth » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:44 pm

delusional wrote:
ebeth wrote:
delusional wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:I'm going to answer this from anecdotes from my section that show that we're not gunners, but I'm going to do this via PM. I'm outed enough already (OH HELLO EVERYONE who knows who I am in real life and who might be reading this. Also hello nice person who introduced himself to me in the library. I don't remember your face anymore, but feel free to introduce yourself again or friend me on facebook), but I might try to maintain some semblance of privacy for myself.

Also, re: transcript. It isn't special for Harvard. A large # require transcripts from everyone. Some don't from anyone. They won't specially request from Harvard students, to my knowledge. You can actually calculate a GPA off of your grades, it just wouldn't be "official".
Now I feel left out. Also, if you're in section four, you totally are gunners.


Alright, I know this was said a long time ago, and I'm sorry to waste space in an otherwise helpful thread, but I have to say that this is a myth fabricated by people who are jealous of section four's greatness.

Relax, I was just trying to get a reaction.


It worked :). Section 3?

tomwatts
Posts: 1551
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:01 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby tomwatts » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:27 pm

There are three dorm buildings: the Gropius complex, Hastings, and North. North was once a hotel, and it still looks like one (they didn't remodel it much if at all). Hastings is a bunch of suites. Gropius is the place for dorm purists. The kitchens and bathrooms are cleaned daily -- the maintenance staff is really good -- and are pretty well maintained.

These dorms are law dorms, which means you'll get mostly J.D. students in them, with a few LL.M. and S.J.D. students. This is kind of cool; you'll get to meet some international students who you otherwise might not ever encounter.

One thing about Gropius that's odd is that the floors are all almost but not quite the same floorplans, so there are mostly the same numbers of bathrooms stalls in each bathroom but not exactly, and they're mostly in the same places but not exactly, and the kitchens are pretty similar in layout but not identical, and so on. (The same is actually true of the rooms: even if you get the same Type 1 room as someone else, you might not have the same layout.) This makes it a little hard to generalize.

The floor kitchens have fridges and freezers that are fairly big. I've never had much of a problem with space in them, but you can have a mini-fridge in your room if you think you need it. They're stocked with all the usual equipment (including microwaves, toaster ovens, etc.).

The rooms are pretty tiny, but I like my room a lot. The rooms in North are more spacious (was put up there for ASW, swanky). They're all singles, which is kind of necessary for law school. Generally a better experience than I had in undergrad.

delusional
Posts: 1190
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby delusional » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:14 pm

Anyone care to post a little about 1L winter term? What's the schedule like? Is it easier than a real semester or harder? How is it graded?

Harvard14
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:38 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Harvard14 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:41 pm

delusional wrote:Anyone care to post a little about 1L winter term? What's the schedule like? Is it easier than a real semester or harder? How is it graded?


I'm under the impression that everyone gets the same grade, and that it's very laid back. I think you have 4 hours in the morning, and then a couple hours later to work on stuff with your group. All this is from current 2Ls and 3Ls.

User avatar
kulshan
Posts: 413
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:59 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby kulshan » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:56 pm

It seems like one advantage to the dorms is that you aren't tied to your place if you have a summer job outside of Cambridge/Boston. If you rent a place, what do you do over the summer? Sublet your place? Work in Boston? Eat the cost? Do a lot of people stick around over the summer?

User avatar
englawyer
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:57 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby englawyer » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:03 pm

kulshan wrote:It seems like one advantage to the dorms is that you aren't tied to your place if you have a summer job outside of Cambridge/Boston. If you rent a place, what do you do over the summer? Sublet your place? Work in Boston? Eat the cost? Do a lot of people stick around over the summer?


you are spot on about the biggest downside to off-campus apartments. some people sublet, some just pay rent in two places, and others choose to stay around Boston to not bother with moving (at least for 1L summer). Nonetheless, it is significantly cheaper, especially on a $/ft basis. It would be interesting to compare dorm 9 months vs apartment 12 months but I bet its pretty similar, so eating the cost is not THAT bad

delusional
Posts: 1190
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby delusional » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:14 pm

Harvard14 wrote:
delusional wrote:Anyone care to post a little about 1L winter term? What's the schedule like? Is it easier than a real semester or harder? How is it graded?


I'm under the impression that everyone gets the same grade, and that it's very laid back. I think you have 4 hours in the morning, and then a couple hours later to work on stuff with your group. All this is from current 2Ls and 3Ls.


I didn't even know that the morning had four hours in it. I hope you're right about the laid back part. I'm not sure how I feel about all getting the same grades. There's gotta be something to get me out of bed...

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby DoubleChecks » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:34 pm

delusional wrote:
Harvard14 wrote:
delusional wrote:Anyone care to post a little about 1L winter term? What's the schedule like? Is it easier than a real semester or harder? How is it graded?


I'm under the impression that everyone gets the same grade, and that it's very laid back. I think you have 4 hours in the morning, and then a couple hours later to work on stuff with your group. All this is from current 2Ls and 3Ls.


I didn't even know that the morning had four hours in it. I hope you're right about the laid back part. I'm not sure how I feel about all getting the same grades. There's gotta be something to get me out of bed...


I can speak to the PSW experience...keep in mind, it is very new (2-3 yrs running) so they are/will change it a bit every year I imagine.

It is Pass/Fail so yes, everyone gets the same grade in that it is NOT GRADED lol. The schedule is like 9 to 12 every morning, M-F. Then you have an assignment; you break for lunch and then meet with your PSW group (it's like 6 ppl) and you guys work on whatever. The projects change every few days -- from contracting to interviewing (wow a lot of JD students are no good at this lol) to memo writing w/ research, etc. You have to sometimes present to the faculty, and one of the larger projects you present to actual attorneys in the city on one specific night (i.e. you ride the T to their offices at night -- sometimes biglaw attorneys, sometimes small law, etc.).

The projects themselves are not hard (it is like a group writing a memo together) and usually just take a few hours in the afternoon...so it is kinda like a 9 to 3 or 9 to 4 kinda setup (note: projects vary in length so sometimes you're done at 1, sometimes 4). So 'laid back' in those regards. There are textbooks but you NEVER HAVE TO READ -- at least not in my year. I never even bought the books (I don't recall anyone referring to them EVER...note: could change for your yr, I'd do the wait and see lol).

What they seem to want to teach you is some practical skills and teamwork. Yes, you work in a group every day so be prepared for personalities. Because it is P/F, I guess you don't have much incentive in going to class...except that you screw your group over. Usually in class, a portion is spent explaining the assignment and ways to go about it. Not being there means your group has to waste time (time that no one wants to waste as they'd rather be home) explaining to you how it works, re-assigning tasks, etc., if you end up showing up after the classroom session is over. This has happened to me and our group was...never happy about it. You evaluate each other near the end of the course -- if your group has a problem with you, the faculty will let you know and then make you do extra work. So show up in class imo (missing once or twice is totally fine...missing half+ is not).

Now I know showing up in class is hard...BELIEVE me I know...because the 9-12 portion is the most unbearable part of PSW. It is REALLY boring. Their hearts are in the right place; I believe in what PSW is trying to accomplish...they just haven't worked out the kinks yet. It is hella boring because you do pointless stuff. Example: you will LITERALLY spend 15 minutes where the faculty takes turns calling on students to give them buzzwords for what 'teamwork' means (which is then of course written on a whiteboard). Really? 15 minutes on what teamwork means? Before we move onto another 15 min brainstorm session of what communication means? My God...

freestallion
Posts: 944
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:17 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby freestallion » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:24 pm

What kind of work can you do with the Student Practice Organizations as a 1L? I'm really interested in the Immigration Project for example -- would you actually get to work with clients in your first year?

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby DoubleChecks » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:48 pm

freestallion wrote:What kind of work can you do with the Student Practice Organizations as a 1L? I'm really interested in the Immigration Project for example -- would you actually get to work with clients in your first year?


I don't know about that SPO, but I did participate in another SPO (the mediation one, HMP) my 1L year. Definitely hands-on with real clients. After the state-mandated 36 hrs of training or so (2 full weekends), you actually go to small claims courts and co-mediate with another HMP student. In fact, it is quite intimidating at first BECAUSE you get to do so much. You get used to it of course and it is a great experience. That being said, the 1 hr commute to any small claims court is kinda a bitch (even if it is only once ever 2 weeks lol), but that is more HMP-specific than SPO specific.

freestallion
Posts: 944
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:17 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby freestallion » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:10 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
freestallion wrote:What kind of work can you do with the Student Practice Organizations as a 1L? I'm really interested in the Immigration Project for example -- would you actually get to work with clients in your first year?


I don't know about that SPO, but I did participate in another SPO (the mediation one, HMP) my 1L year. Definitely hands-on with real clients. After the state-mandated 36 hrs of training or so (2 full weekends), you actually go to small claims courts and co-mediate with another HMP student. In fact, it is quite intimidating at first BECAUSE you get to do so much. You get used to it of course and it is a great experience. That being said, the 1 hr commute to any small claims court is kinda a bitch (even if it is only once ever 2 weeks lol), but that is more HMP-specific than SPO specific.

Wow, thanks, sounds really amazing that you can get such substantive hands-on client work in 1L year! Is it possible to try a different SPO in each of the 1L semesters or is it recommended to just stick to one for a whole year?

User avatar
Rudolph
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:02 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Rudolph » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:18 pm

On a related note, do most 1Ls have time to get involved in a couple extracurriculars right when they begin? Do other clinics and journals allow 1Ls to join? Or do students generally wait until their 2L and 3L years to get really involved?

delusional
Posts: 1190
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby delusional » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:24 pm

Rudolph wrote:On a related note, do most 1Ls have time to get involved in a couple extracurriculars right when they begin? Do other clinics and journals allow 1Ls to join? Or do students generally wait until their 2L and 3L years to get really involved?

I definitely know people who are involved in extracurricular stuff. It didn't work out for me, and I am a little jealous of those for whom it made sense. But I know people who joined the Defenders, and people who subcited for journals, although I don't even know what that means.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby DoubleChecks » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:35 pm

freestallion wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:
freestallion wrote:What kind of work can you do with the Student Practice Organizations as a 1L? I'm really interested in the Immigration Project for example -- would you actually get to work with clients in your first year?


I don't know about that SPO, but I did participate in another SPO (the mediation one, HMP) my 1L year. Definitely hands-on with real clients. After the state-mandated 36 hrs of training or so (2 full weekends), you actually go to small claims courts and co-mediate with another HMP student. In fact, it is quite intimidating at first BECAUSE you get to do so much. You get used to it of course and it is a great experience. That being said, the 1 hr commute to any small claims court is kinda a bitch (even if it is only once ever 2 weeks lol), but that is more HMP-specific than SPO specific.

Wow, thanks, sounds really amazing that you can get such substantive hands-on client work in 1L year! Is it possible to try a different SPO in each of the 1L semesters or is it recommended to just stick to one for a whole year?


Yes it is possible, as long as you personally have the time for it. There certainly isn't any school restriction I know of (besides minimum time requirements). SPOs are kinda like extracurricular clubs is all haha.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby DoubleChecks » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:40 pm

Rudolph wrote:On a related note, do most 1Ls have time to get involved in a couple extracurriculars right when they begin? Do other clinics and journals allow 1Ls to join? Or do students generally wait until their 2L and 3L years to get really involved?


1Ls definitely can get involved a few weeks in. In fact, I would say most do. Clinics are for older students as many have pre-req workshops that you can't take till at LEAST 1L spring semester (ex: Negotiation workshop for negotiation clinic -- very popular), but journals (save the Harvard Law Review) are open to everyone. They even heavily focus on recruiting 1Ls. You know, awesome secondary journals like the Harvard Negotiation Law Review cough*.

Secondary journals vary in how much responsibility/requirements are expected of 1Ls. Generally, larger journals that are very popular have 1Ls do more of the grunt work. They publish more articles and more frequently, and have a more hierarchical structure (ex: any journal with the world "international" in it :P). Smaller journals obviously allow 1Ls to take on more responsibilities earlier on. For example, the current board of HNLR is more than 2/3 2Ls...which means they won those positions as 1Ls during the spring. 1Ls in the spring can also become article editors. This may not be very realistic in a larger, more popular journal.

Regardless, 1Ls are all expected to subcite. Some journals have 1Ls subcite A LOT and some have 1Ls subcite just a few hours for the whole semester. Once again, probably tied to how much the journal publishes in a year. Subciting is essentially "bluebooking"...where you check the substance and technical accuracy of footnotes. It is horrid, horrid work that most 1Ls must do, unfortunately :(

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby DoubleChecks » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:46 pm

Oh and on whether extracurriculars take up a lot of time or not...varies from journal to journal, SPO to SPO, organization to organization. Do what works for you, though as I mentioned earlier, most 1Ls at least join a secondary journal or some organization.

I have never really tried to hide my identity of TLS lol, so I can lay out what I joined as a 1L: I joined an SPO, an affinity organization (for fun), and a secondary law journal. It did not interfere with my schoolwork at all and was a good balance for me. Note, however, that I probably spend a lot less time than most schoolwork (not to say I didn't get my stuff done, I always did lol). That doesn't necessarily have to be a driving force: I have a friend who never studies, had loads of time, and did not join a single extracurricular thing hahaha. If he weren't aiming at a secondary market (where he did land biglaw), I would have pointed out in a more emphatic way how that would hurt him in EIP :P

acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby acrossthelake » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:14 pm

I did twoish student practice organizations(one hasn't assigned me a client yet...) and a secondary journal and an affinity organization(no leadership tho). I had a lot of responsibility with the spo and found the time to balance it all.

ETA: I think I did a bit more than average, but I also just really wanted to join all 4. The affinity organization didn't take up time. It was just fun. The secondary journal was mostly subciting, which at least got me more familiar with bluebooking(although it's different from LRW blue-booking). And the SPO that actually assigned me stuff took up more time than I anticipated, but I was partnered with someone in my section whose company I really enjoy, so that wasn't too bad. It was just a wee bit stressful because, you know, people's real life issues don't stop when finals start, so having to run into the office to send faxes or make phone calls or meet with the client in the midst of finals was interesting. I hadn't expected it because we got our case pretty early on in the semester. It was just complicated (and is still not done yet).

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby DoubleChecks » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:24 am

acrossthelake wrote:I did twoish student practice organizations(one hasn't assigned me a client yet...) and a secondary journal and an affinity organization(no leadership tho). I had a lot of responsibility with the spo and found the time to balance it all.


Do I know you? lol :P

roranoa
Posts: 588
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:18 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby roranoa » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:36 am

I'm not sure if this was asked. (I couldn't find an answer by searching this thread.)

Do you enjoy law school generally? Is the general feeling somewhat like being in college? (but of course with more intense exams)

Is there a lot of homework? Are they important or is grading just about exams?




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], White Dwarf and 3 guests