Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Doorkeeper » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:34 pm

Also turned down a free ride at NYU and mega cash at Chicago. My specific goals from law school made Harvard the easy choice, but I agree with the sentiment that if you're just looking for NYC biglaw then the CCN full ride makes a lot of sense.

Happy to discuss more via PMs.

User avatar
Vursz
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:31 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Vursz » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:23 pm

Just out of curiosity, what's the approximate grade cutoff for Dallas biglaw out of HLS?

Ties are almost as good as they get (born and raised, parents live there, only left for UG/law school)

Apologies if this has been asked and answered before; TLS conventional wisdom seems to be something along the lines of "well, if you want to work in TX, go to HYS, and have ties, you're all set." That seems almost too good to be true...

delusional
Posts: 1190
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby delusional » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:49 pm

Vursz wrote:Just out of curiosity, what's the approximate grade cutoff for Dallas biglaw out of HLS?

Ties are almost as good as they get (born and raised, parents live there, only left for UG/law school)

Apologies if this has been asked and answered before; TLS conventional wisdom seems to be something along the lines of "well, if you want to work in TX, go to HYS, and have ties, you're all set." That seems almost too good to be true...
Don't know a ton about this - sum total of my knowledge is two classmates going to Texas biglaw but I'll answer for now and you can wait for others to chime in. At least one of them is not a super LR-type baller and had only moderate ties (undergrad in TX but from northeast). Definitely doesn't have that "tough nut to crack" reputation that, say, DC does.

rathgra
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:30 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby rathgra » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:39 pm

Has anyone had any success renting larger houses (say 5-6 bedrooms)? Preferably within a 15 minute walk of the law school. PMs welcome - thanks!

User avatar
wert3813
Posts: 1408
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:29 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby wert3813 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:47 pm

delusional wrote:
Vursz wrote:Just out of curiosity, what's the approximate grade cutoff for Dallas biglaw out of HLS?

Ties are almost as good as they get (born and raised, parents live there, only left for UG/law school)

Apologies if this has been asked and answered before; TLS conventional wisdom seems to be something along the lines of "well, if you want to work in TX, go to HYS, and have ties, you're all set." That seems almost too good to be true...
Don't know a ton about this - sum total of my knowledge is two classmates going to Texas biglaw but I'll answer for now and you can wait for others to chime in. At least one of them is not a super LR-type baller and had only moderate ties (undergrad in TX but from northeast). Definitely doesn't have that "tough nut to crack" reputation that, say, DC does.

If you search for a poster named "double checks" (doublechecks? the guy with the pineapple icon) and this thread, then you should find a good discussion he had of TX out of HLS a while back. While easy is always a word you want to be careful about applying to a job search the general belief is that if someone like you doesn't get Texas it's because you have just awful grades (like bottom 2-3%) or serious personality issues (and honestly, it might even take both). FWIW the interview to callback percent for TX firms out of HLS is much more similar to NYC (in the 40% range) than DC or SoCal (in the 30% range).

KaNa1986
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:32 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby KaNa1986 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:26 pm

Vursz wrote:Just out of curiosity, what's the approximate grade cutoff for Dallas biglaw out of HLS?

Ties are almost as good as they get (born and raised, parents live there, only left for UG/law school)

Apologies if this has been asked and answered before; TLS conventional wisdom seems to be something along the lines of "well, if you want to work in TX, go to HYS, and have ties, you're all set." That seems almost too good to be true...


Given sufficient ties (grew up in TX, went to UG there), Dallas isn't grade selective (unlike NY V15, DC V5).

kcam1991
Posts: 152
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:26 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby kcam1991 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:53 pm

Just curious to the type of grades sears prize winners have?

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby TripTrip » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:07 pm

kcam1991 wrote:Just curious to the type of grades sears prize winners have?

More DSs than Hs, no Ps.

Cowboy25
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:39 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Cowboy25 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:40 pm

KaNa1986 wrote:
Vursz wrote:Just out of curiosity, what's the approximate grade cutoff for Dallas biglaw out of HLS?

Ties are almost as good as they get (born and raised, parents live there, only left for UG/law school)

Apologies if this has been asked and answered before; TLS conventional wisdom seems to be something along the lines of "well, if you want to work in TX, go to HYS, and have ties, you're all set." That seems almost too good to be true...


Given sufficient ties (grew up in TX, went to UG there), Dallas isn't grade selective (unlike NY V15, DC V5).


What exactly do you mean by "ties?" Just that you have lived in the area before, or that you have made connections within the legal work place?

KaNa1986
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:32 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby KaNa1986 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:45 pm

Cowboy25 wrote:
KaNa1986 wrote:
Vursz wrote:Just out of curiosity, what's the approximate grade cutoff for Dallas biglaw out of HLS?

Ties are almost as good as they get (born and raised, parents live there, only left for UG/law school)

Apologies if this has been asked and answered before; TLS conventional wisdom seems to be something along the lines of "well, if you want to work in TX, go to HYS, and have ties, you're all set." That seems almost too good to be true...


Given sufficient ties (grew up in TX, went to UG there), Dallas isn't grade selective (unlike NY V15, DC V5).


What exactly do you mean by "ties?" Just that you have lived in the area before, or that you have made connections within the legal work place?


Anything that convinces the firm that you want to work in TX, have legitimate reasons for wanting to work in TX, and will not leave TX for NY/DC/SV in 2 years.

User avatar
wert3813
Posts: 1408
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:29 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby wert3813 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:48 pm

TripTrip wrote:
kcam1991 wrote:Just curious to the type of grades sears prize winners have?

More DSs than Hs, no Ps.


Really? Wow that's high.

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3225
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby ph14 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:02 pm

wert3813 wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
kcam1991 wrote:Just curious to the type of grades sears prize winners have?

More DSs than Hs, no Ps.


Really? Wow that's high.


Well, it's top 2 people in a class of 500+. That seems pretty accurate to me.

User avatar
wert3813
Posts: 1408
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:29 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby wert3813 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:15 pm

ph14 wrote:
wert3813 wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
kcam1991 wrote:Just curious to the type of grades sears prize winners have?

More DSs than Hs, no Ps.


Really? Wow that's high.


Well, it's top 2 people in a class of 500+. That seems pretty accurate to me.

Yeah I would have thought More DSs than Ps but I'm basing that off of nothing. What so ever.

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3225
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby ph14 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:19 pm

wert3813 wrote:
ph14 wrote:
wert3813 wrote:
TripTrip wrote:More DSs than Hs, no Ps.


Really? Wow that's high.


Well, it's top 2 people in a class of 500+. That seems pretty accurate to me.

Yeah I would have thought More DSs than Ps but I'm basing that off of nothing. What so ever.


More DS than Ps puts you into magna territory, top 10%. But still a ways to go to be one of the top 2 students, i'm sure.

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Doorkeeper » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:56 pm

I know that around 4-6 DS and no Ps put you in contention, but obviously it varies year-to-year.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby TripTrip » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:05 pm

wert3813 wrote:
ph14 wrote:
wert3813 wrote:
TripTrip wrote:More DSs than Hs, no Ps.


Really? Wow that's high.


Well, it's top 2 people in a class of 500+. That seems pretty accurate to me.

Yeah I would have thought More DSs than Ps but I'm basing that off of nothing. What so ever.

I would have thought that too, until I met someone with those grades.

tomwatts
Posts: 1551
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:01 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby tomwatts » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:44 pm

Just to confirm, it's definitely something like 5-7 DSs (at least) and otherwise all Hs. The 4.0 (equal DSs and Ps, with Hs making up the difference) is near the outer edge of the top 10%, and Sears Prize is top 0.3%, so we're talking a LOT better than just a little more DSs than Ps.

User avatar
paglababa
Posts: 888
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:34 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby paglababa » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:58 am

tomwatts wrote:Just to confirm, it's definitely something like 5-7 DSs (at least) and otherwise all Hs. The 4.0 (equal DSs and Ps, with Hs making up the difference) is near the outer edge of the top 10%, and Sears Prize is top 0.3%, so we're talking a LOT better than just a little more DSs than Ps.


Dang, how are these 1-2 people so perfect at the lawlschool game?

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby TripTrip » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:29 pm

paglababa wrote:
tomwatts wrote:Just to confirm, it's definitely something like 5-7 DSs (at least) and otherwise all Hs. The 4.0 (equal DSs and Ps, with Hs making up the difference) is near the outer edge of the top 10%, and Sears Prize is top 0.3%, so we're talking a LOT better than just a little more DSs than Ps.


Dang, how are these 1-2 people so perfect at the lawlschool game?

They're definitely more stressed out than the rest of us. As great as it might be to get those kind of competitive grades first semester, imagine the pressure to maintain those grades this semester. No thank you. I'm very happy being within a standard deviation of the mean.

kcam1991
Posts: 152
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:26 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby kcam1991 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:52 am

Is the EIP orientation mandatory and/or useful?

tomwatts
Posts: 1551
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:01 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby tomwatts » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:30 pm

It's not mandatory in any meaningful sense. I didn't go, so I can't speak to whether it's useful.

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3225
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby ph14 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:50 pm

tomwatts wrote:It's not mandatory in any meaningful sense. I didn't go, so I can't speak to whether it's useful.


It has a reputation of not being useful or worth the time really. I didn't go and I didn't have any issues with EIP. It's not really that complicated of a process.

acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby acrossthelake » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:54 pm

I went and the whole time kind of got the sense of, wow, if any of this is actually new to anybody sitting here, they're really unprepared for EIP. I was fairly bored, as were the other friends who went.

kcam1991
Posts: 152
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:26 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby kcam1991 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:25 pm

Have some friends coming in from out of town. What is some cool local things not in Cambridge to do for 23 years olds?

lawschoolboundfuture
Posts: 249
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:07 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby lawschoolboundfuture » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:25 pm

Is there a list somewhere of all the firms that come to EIP




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Mr. Bubbles, theothercat and 5 guests