Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Frozen98

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Frozen98 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:29 pm

Last edited by Frozen98 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:31 pm

tag

Mr. Elshal

Postby Mr. Elshal » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:37 pm

For those who have been through interviews, is a navy suit with a subtle, narrow, lighter blue pinstripe alright? I'm packing my bag for a callback journey to NY and I have the navy suit there and would rather not have to bring a suit with me from Cambridge.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:38 pm

Mr. Elshal wrote:For those who have been through interviews, is a navy suit with a subtle, narrow, lighter blue pinstripe alright? I'm packing my bag for a callback journey to NY and I have the navy suit there and would rather not have to bring a suit with me from Cambridge.

Yes, most likely. As long as the pinstripes are light I don't think there is a problem.

Mr. Elshal

Postby Mr. Elshal » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:40 pm

ph14 wrote:
Mr. Elshal wrote:For those who have been through interviews, is a navy suit with a subtle, narrow, lighter blue pinstripe alright? I'm packing my bag for a callback journey to NY and I have the navy suit there and would rather not have to bring a suit with me from Cambridge.

Yes, most likely. As long as the pinstripes are light I don't think there is a problem.

Thanks!

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:05 pm

ph14 wrote:

Are pinstripes in some way disfavored?

Mr. Elshal

Postby Mr. Elshal » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:26 pm

TripTrip wrote:
ph14 wrote:

I just felt like they look a bit less conservative than a solid color.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:51 pm

TripTrip wrote:
ph14 wrote:

Yeah, you're really not supposed to wear a pinstriped suit to an interview (nor a black suit). But if they're light pinstripes, I think you could get away with it.

Edit: Just found this on google, I didn't read it super close but it seems to be on-point: http://www.blacklapel.com/thecompass/of ... interview/

MyNameIsFlynn!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:13 pm

BelugaWhale wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:What's the process for getting onto law review? I understand that it's one of if not the most competitive programs at HLS, but I was just wondering exactly how competitive we're talking here. How many people apply and how many get chosen? Anyone here make it onto HLS LR? Thanks.

http://www.harvardlawreview.org/hlr_477.php

To the point about competition, what kind of grades are necessary? I understand it may vary depending on strength of the write-on portion but roughly how many Hs would make one competitive? Does everyone on LR have 9-10?

ph14

Postby ph14 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:17 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
BelugaWhale wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:What's the process for getting onto law review? I understand that it's one of if not the most competitive programs at HLS, but I was just wondering exactly how competitive we're talking here. How many people apply and how many get chosen? Anyone here make it onto HLS LR? Thanks.

To the point about competition, what kind of grades are necessary? I understand it may vary depending on strength of the write-on portion but roughly how many Hs would make one competitive? Does everyone on LR have 9-10?

I don't think anyone knows.

o0o0o0o

Postby o0o0o0o » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:06 pm

ph14 wrote:
MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
BelugaWhale wrote:

Do any 2Ls/3Ls know if the competition usually ends at a particular time of day? The write-on ends on Saturday, May 24 this year, and I'm trying to figure out if I can book a ticket out of town that afternoon or if I'd be missing a significant portion of the last day of time allotted...

ph14

Postby ph14 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:13 pm

o0o0o0o wrote:
ph14 wrote:
MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
BelugaWhale wrote:

Do any 2Ls/3Ls know if the competition usually ends at a particular time of day? The write-on ends on Saturday, May 24 this year, and I'm trying to figure out if I can book a ticket out of town that afternoon or if I'd be missing a significant portion of the last day of time allotted...

Yeah, it's either 2 pm or 3pm, I am pretty sure.

o0o0o0o

Postby o0o0o0o » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:21 pm

Thanks @ph

Mista Bojangles

Postby Mista Bojangles » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:38 pm

Frozen,
Evidence ITT is not wholly conclusive but suggests that you may or may not be a massive shining tool. If that is in fact the case, then I urge you to consider that that may prove a greater impediment to gainful employment than a P or two or ten on your transcript.

Cheers,
Bojangles

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:59 pm

Mista Bojangles wrote:Frozen,
Evidence ITT is not wholly conclusive but suggests that you may or may not be a massive shining tool. If that is in fact the case, then I urge you to consider that that may prove a greater impediment to gainful employment than a P or two or ten on your transcript.

Cheers,
Bojangles

jesus christ i thought i was the only one who noticed this. thank you

Mr. Elshal

Postby Mr. Elshal » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:06 am

patogordo wrote:

Cheers,
Bojangles

I wish I had more people like that in my section. The curve would be a joke.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:41 am

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
BelugaWhale wrote:

That's not how it works. Only 14 people (2 from each section) are taken based on grades, and even then, it's 50% grades, 50% competition score. Another 20 are chosen based on competition score alone. Another 12 are chosen... by mysterious methods.

So no, not everyone on LR has really good grades. A really good competition score puts you on LR regardless of grades.

EDIT: For the 50% grades, 50% competition score, anecdotally, I can tell you that you need better than a 4.0 to qualify. My estimate is something like 3-4 DSs and all the rest Hs (or the equivalent, e.g. 6 DSs, 2 Hs, 2 Ps) would put you in the ballpark. But even then you need a decent competition score.

hlsperson1111

Postby hlsperson1111 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:10 am

I will say two things about grades and LR:

(1) There are about a half-dozen people who were on HLR in class of 2013 who did not get Latin honors. This is consistent with the pattern in past years.
(2) One person in the Class of 2013 who won the Sears Prize as a 1L was not on LR. Another person who won the Sears Prize as a 2L was not on LR.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:25 am

hlsperson1111 wrote:I will say two things about grades and LR:

(1) There are about a half-dozen people who were on HLR in class of 2013 who did not get Latin honors. This is consistent with the pattern in past years.
(2) One person in the Class of 2013 who won the Sears Prize as a 1L was not on LR. Another person who won the Sears Prize as a 2L was not on LR.

I actually knew the Class of 2013 1L Sears Prize winner who didn't make law review. The person was a good writer and a hard worker. I'm mystified.

Lovely Ludwig Van

Postby Lovely Ludwig Van » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:09 am

tomwatts wrote:That's not how it works. Only 14 people (2 from each section) are taken based on grades, and even then, it's 50% grades, 50% competition score. Another 20 are chosen based on competition score alone. Another 12 are chosen... by mysterious methods.

So no, not everyone on LR has really good grades. A really good competition score puts you on LR regardless of grades.

EDIT: For the 50% grades, 50% competition score, anecdotally, I can tell you that you need better than a 4.0 to qualify. My estimate is something like 3-4 DSs and all the rest Hs (or the equivalent, e.g. 6 DSs, 2 Hs, 2 Ps) would put you in the ballpark. But even then you need a decent competition score.

Is that based on like a personal statement, interview, letters of rec, resume, etc.? Or do they just look down a list and pick names?

Lovely Ludwig Van

Postby Lovely Ludwig Van » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:10 am

Also, is there such a thing as 'preparing' for LR competition? Or more of either you have it or you don't?

TYIA!

ph14

Postby ph14 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:05 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
hlsperson1111 wrote:I will say two things about grades and LR:

I actually knew the Class of 2013 1L Sears Prize winner who didn't make law review. The person was a good writer and a hard worker. I'm mystified.

Grading, at least for the case comment, is pretty subjective. It's definitely far from a perfect process, as is any subjective grading (see law school exams, too). On the bright side, I don't think a Sears Prize Winner is going to lack for career opportunities just because they didn't make HLR.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:10 pm

Lovely Ludwig Van wrote:
tomwatts wrote:That's not how it works. Only 14 people (2 from each section) are taken based on grades, and even then, it's 50% grades, 50% competition score. Another 20 are chosen based on competition score alone. Another 12 are chosen... by mysterious methods.

Is that based on like a personal statement, interview, letters of rec, resume, etc.? Or do they just look down a list and pick names?

No personal statement. Definitely no interview, letters of recommendation, or resume. It's completely blind grading (double-blind, actually). They pick the highest scoring competition entries for the pure-writing competition slots (names are never used in determining who gets on, as that would defeat the point of blind grading). Your score is 60% the case comment, 40% the subcite. That's it. Then there are also the 12 discretionary slots, which, while still blind, have the authority to fill the slots based on other factors.

This all will get explained later, as the writing competition gets closer.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:12 pm

Lovely Ludwig Van wrote:Also, is there such a thing as 'preparing' for LR competition? Or more of either you have it or you don't?

TYIA!

Not really. I believe HLR puts on a subcite training session so you could go to that. I'm not sure how helpful it is, though. As far as the case comment, I'd imagine that it is helpful to read 2-3 of the case comments in the November issue, to get a feel of the format and style that the graders are looking for.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:09 pm

patogordo wrote:

Cheers,
Bojangles

Gotta be a troll right? If so pretty well done.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”