Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
wert3813

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby wert3813 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:25 pm

TripTrip wrote:
Mista Bojangles wrote:LOL grades apparently being released tomorrow at 5PM, right at the beginning of LRW. what timing. as a BSA i'm (perversely) excited to be there for the spectacle

I'm really curious how the Climenkos will handle it if the grades aren't released by class start.

Some people won't check. But plenty will.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:00 pm

The registrar has a habit of blatantly lying to the population each time about the grade release. Summer before 2L they were all "helios will be down for maintenance on Day X, and grades will be out Day Y". Grades came out on Day X. So if they say 5pm, they probably mean 3pm.

tachikara

Postby tachikara » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:36 pm

Grades are out, y'all

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:49 pm

tachikara wrote:Grades are out, y'all

Yes they are.

MyNameIsFlynn!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:55 pm

so scurred to look.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:06 pm

2Ls and 3Ls can someone link the grade discussion from last year? Also is my memory correct that OCS tells people median for the year is 2 Hs, it's probably 2 some years and 3 other years and some wiz figure out that it should be roughly 2.8 (although that's not really possible).

Sorry I know this stuff gets asked and linked a bunch but sorta in a daze right now.

delusional

Postby delusional » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:06 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:so scurred to look.

Like ripping off a band-aid.

delusional

Postby delusional » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:10 pm

wert3813 wrote:2Ls and 3Ls can someone link the grade discussion from last year? Also is my memory correct that OCS tells people median for the year is 2 Hs, it's probably 2 some years and 3 other years and some wiz figure out that it should be roughly 2.8 (although that's not really possible).

Sorry I know this stuff gets asked and linked a bunch but sorta in a daze right now.
Everyone has told you this a hundred times and I don't know if saying it again will matter one way or the other, but if you have 5 Ps or better, you should not be worried. There is no shame in being marginally worse at your first attempt at law school exams. It does not reflect on who you are and it does not predict how what you will do in life. If you feel that you have room to improve, you have the ability to improve. If you don't want to put in the effort, you can find a job paying $160k a year with nothing but Ps for your entire three years.

kcam1991

Postby kcam1991 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:11 pm

How do you calculate gpa?

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:12 pm

delusional wrote:
wert3813 wrote:2Ls and 3Ls can someone link the grade discussion from last year? Also is my memory correct that OCS tells people median for the year is 2 Hs, it's probably 2 some years and 3 other years and some wiz figure out that it should be roughly 2.8 (although that's not really possible).

Everyone has told you this a hundred times and I don't know if saying it again will matter one way or the other, but if you have 5 Ps or better, you should not be worried. There is no shame in being marginally worse at your first attempt at law school exams. It does not reflect on who you are and it does not predict how what you will do in life. If you feel that you have room to improve, you have the ability to improve. If you don't want to put in the effort, you can find a job paying $160k a year with nothing but Ps for your entire three years.

No I know. And I promise I'm okay and did fine. I'm just literally trying to remember what median is and after looking around on here for like five minutes and not finding it I thought I would just ask someone.

lawschoolboundfuture

Postby lawschoolboundfuture » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:13 pm

What considered good?

delusional

Postby delusional » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:14 pm

lawschoolboundfuture wrote:What considered good?
If you have more than 3 Hs, go away and stop being a douche. Does that answer your question?

PMan99

Postby PMan99 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:23 pm

wert3813 wrote:
delusional wrote:

No I know. And I promise I'm okay and did fine. I'm just literally trying to remember what median is and after looking around on here for like five minutes and not finding it I thought I would just ask someone.

I think that the consensus is 2-3, yea. But honestly they do a pretty good job of keeping it (and latin honors, etc.) opaque, we don't really have enough data points to get a clear picture we know is accurate.

BelugaWhale

Postby BelugaWhale » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:02 pm

I think from a statistical standpoint the median should be 3 H's for the first year. Given that 1L courses are graded on a curve in which roughly the top third gets H's in a given class, and that there are 10 classes overall, assuming everything is random, you multiply 10 by 1/3 and so a median student should have 3 H's.

Disclaimer- I don't know if this is right but it makes sense to me and it seems to confirm what everyone says which is that 3 h's is median after first year.

captain planet 1

Postby captain planet 1 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:06 pm

If any alums read this and can provide data points as to what was cum laude GPA in previous years, that would be much appreciated.

BelugaWhale

Postby BelugaWhale » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:09 pm

kcam1991 wrote:How do you calculate gpa?

For the purposes of latin honors, LP=2.0, P=3.0, H=4.0, DS=5.0

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:11 pm

BelugaWhale wrote:I think from a statistical standpoint the median should be 3 H's for the first year. Given that 1L courses are graded on a curve in which roughly the top third gets H's in a given class, and that there are 10 classes overall, assuming everything is random, you multiply 10 by 1/3 and so a median student should have 3 H's.

Disclaimer- I don't know if this is right but it makes sense to me and it seems to confirm what everyone says which is that 3 h's is median after first year.

Yeah I found a post from before EIP were someone said OCS said that it was 2 and people wondered out loud if it was actually 3 and OCS was just pushing it down a bit. Regardless, 2-3 seems right.

PMan99

Postby PMan99 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:07 pm

captain planet 1 wrote:If any alums read this and can provide data points as to what was cum laude GPA in previous years, that would be much appreciated.

The only data points / anecdotes we have have been posted a bunch of times and always the answers are that somewhere slightly above 3.5 would get you cum laude and somewhere slightly below 4 would get you magna cum laude. The most common numbers I see are 3.5-3.6 for CL and 3.9-4 for MCL, so I just assume 3.55 and 3.95 but that for any given year you might see +-.05 on that.

It's somewhat complicated because HLS appears to calculate GPA by doing (1L GPA + 2L GPA + 3L GPA)/3, and we don't know if the graduates who have posted their GPA and honors are calculating it completely correctly.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:17 pm

To summarize everything grade related:

LP = 2, P = 3, H = 4, DS = 5

3 Hs for 1L YEAR is the average.

cum laude = 3.6, magna = 3.95-4.0

Calm down.

Edit - I've had a few 1Ls PM me their grades and ask me how they're doing relative to their goals. I'm happy to answer such questions.
Last edited by Doorkeeper on Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rathgra

Postby rathgra » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:29 pm

:(
Last edited by rathgra on Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Searchparty

Postby Searchparty » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:52 pm

rathgra wrote:How does LRW factor into GPA? Is it worth half as much as everything else because it's half as much credits?

And how does it count as far as determining median? Does an H/DS in LRW count as a "full" H/DS?

I believe GPA for the year is weighted by credits. Your graduating GPA then weights each year's GPA equally.

Mr. Elshal

Postby Mr. Elshal » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:16 pm

Does anyone know (or has anyone heard stories about) NYC firms having specific or de facto grade cutoffs for 1L SAs?

rathgra

Postby rathgra » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:49 pm

:?
Last edited by rathgra on Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:54 pm

rathgra wrote:
Searchparty wrote:
rathgra wrote:How does LRW factor into GPA? Is it worth half as much as everything else because it's half as much credits?

And how does it count as far as determining median? Does an H/DS in LRW count as a "full" H/DS?

I believe GPA for the year is weighted by credits. Your graduating GPA then weights each year's GPA equally.

That's what I initially thought and it says that on the registrar's website (where I probably should have checked before running to TLS…)

So is the same for median? If I got 1 H in a blackletter and an H in LRW, would employers consider that 1.5 Hs? Or 2? Would a DS in LRW outweigh a P in a blackletter?

In so much that anyone can know without being an employer everyone seems to think employers consider them all the same.

Mista Bojangles

Postby Mista Bojangles » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:57 pm

For Latin honors purposes at graduation, yes a 4-credit black letter is twice the weight of 2-credit LRW. For EIP purposes, the consensus (in whatever way it was formed) seems to be that employers just count your Hs, without doing any further math

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”