Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Mista Bojangles
Posts: 243
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:33 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Mista Bojangles » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:20 pm

hlsperson1111 wrote:I don't think you are correct on the Covington v. Jenner/Wilmer/Etc. question (just based on clerkships and latin honors from the people who have worked there in CO 2012 and 2013), but I think we can all agree that the top DC firms are very selective and that W&C is more selective than the rest of them.


latin honors are a pretty shaky proxy for 1L performance, esp. given latin honors' intentional vagueness at HLS. and clerkships don't tell you much either bc of self-selection issues. granted my sample size is small (5-6), but it's of people's actual grades and their actual results at this most recent EIP.

within that (small) sample size at this past EIP, covington was a tougher nut to crack (at least in terms of the pattern of raw grades) than either of the other two you mentioned.

ETA: i mean obviously all of this is a pretty inexact science and in the end it's kind of splitting hairs. at the very least though i do feel safe saying wilmer and jenner should not be placed an explicit rung above covington in grade-selectivity (as you did in your initial post).

bigbirdfly
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:06 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby bigbirdfly » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:39 pm

Mista Bojangles wrote:
hlsperson1111 wrote:I don't think you are correct on the Covington v. Jenner/Wilmer/Etc. question (just based on clerkships and latin honors from the people who have worked there in CO 2012 and 2013), but I think we can all agree that the top DC firms are very selective and that W&C is more selective than the rest of them.


latin honors are a pretty shaky proxy for 1L performance, esp. given latin honors' intentional vagueness at HLS. and clerkships don't tell you much either bc of self-selection issues. granted my sample size is small (5-6), but it's of people's actual grades and their actual results at this most recent EIP.

within that (small) sample size at this past EIP, covington was a tougher nut to crack (at least in terms of the pattern of raw grades) than either of the other two you mentioned.

ETA: i mean obviously all of this is a pretty inexact science and in the end it's kind of splitting hairs. at the very least though i do feel safe saying wilmer and jenner should not be placed an explicit rung above covington in grade-selectivity (as you did in your initial post).


Of law review people who summered at firms last year, W&C had 4, WilmerHale had 3, Covington had 1, and Jenner had 1. Some NYC firms had more law review people than Covington (S&C/4, DPW/2).

lawschoolboundfuture
Posts: 249
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:07 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby lawschoolboundfuture » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:02 pm

Think 1L grades will come out tomorrow or Tuesday?

User avatar
Mr. Elshal
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:30 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Mr. Elshal » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:04 pm

lawschoolboundfuture wrote:Think 1L grades will come out tomorrow or Tuesday?


Fingers crossed for tomorrow. I'm tired of this waiting game already.

wwwcol
Posts: 251
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:57 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby wwwcol » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:00 pm

in the past few years hasn't it been the first day of spring semester?

tomwatts
Posts: 1551
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:01 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby tomwatts » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:48 pm

tomwatts wrote:They'll come out next week. The day of the week varies, but they come out next week. You'll get some sort of notification in advance ("Grades are coming out tomorrow!" from the DoS or something).

Just checked this thread around this time last year, and grades came out on the first day (Monday) of spring semester. There's a bunch more grade information available around those pages, too.

From page 124. It might be the morning of when you get your warning.

Pretty sure they were released on Thursday two years ago, but I haven't checked.

EDIT: Just checked, and yes, it was Thursday afternoon two years ago. While you're waiting — or after they arrive — I encourage everyone to go back to page 124 and read the relevant information on grades. It'll answer a lot of questions.
Last edited by tomwatts on Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
acrossthelake
Posts: 4432
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby acrossthelake » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:44 pm

wwwcol wrote:in the past few years hasn't it been the first day of spring semester?


No. It wasn't the first day my 1L year. I think it was Thursday, though I could be wrong and it could've been Tuesday. But it definitely wasn't the first day.

Nyclawyer618
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Nyclawyer618 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:53 am

In an email last week it stated we'd be getting grades on or before the 28th, so I assume the possibility of later this week is ruled out

AnonDane
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:02 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby AnonDane » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:22 am

It was the first Monday of spring semester last year, and according to OCS it will be today, but who really knows.

User avatar
wert3813
Posts: 1408
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:29 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby wert3813 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:44 am

AnonDane wrote:It was the first Monday of spring semester last year, and according to OCS it will be today, but who really knows.

Uh I imagine OCS knows?

AnonDane
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:02 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby AnonDane » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:47 am

They may have some (generally accurate) idea, but I think it's ultimately up to the Registrar. Still, today seems like a safe bet.

User avatar
wert3813
Posts: 1408
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:29 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby wert3813 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:17 am

AnonDane wrote:They may have some (generally accurate) idea, but I think it's ultimately up to the Registrar. Still, today seems like a safe bet.

I mean if ocs straight up told you today I doubt they are guessing. I also bet the registrar gives some people a heads up ahead of time too.

Nyclawyer618
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Nyclawyer618 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:00 pm

Has anyone gone gray yet?? Today is the day?

PMan99
Posts: 300
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:21 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby PMan99 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:34 pm

Nyclawyer618 wrote:Has anyone gone gray yet?? Today is the day?


Today will be the day if 1Ls got the ridiculously misleading "it's ok" sheet. But iirc grades usually don't get released until sometime in the afternoon or late afternoon, so you can relax for a little bit.

wwwcol
Posts: 251
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:57 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby wwwcol » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:36 pm

what is this "it's ok" sheet of which you speak?

given that I've never heard of it, probably doesn't bode well for grades today :evil:

User avatar
acrossthelake
Posts: 4432
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:43 pm

I never got the it's okay sheet.

PMan99
Posts: 300
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:21 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby PMan99 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:44 pm

wwwcol wrote:what is this "it's ok" sheet of which you speak?

given that I've never heard of it, probably doesn't bode well for grades today :evil:


It's a sheet that lists 10 or 15 variations on this story:

Professor X got an F in conlaw in 1963 and still managed to clerk for the Supreme Court! Grades don't matter!

EDIT: here it is from ATL http://abovethelaw.com/uploads/2012/01/ ... essors.jpg

despina
Posts: 477
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:09 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby despina » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:49 pm

I don't remember getting that sheet last year either, but my section did get a similar speech from a professor (mentioning several of those specific examples).

Nyclawyer618
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Nyclawyer618 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:56 pm

Will we at least get an email telling us grades are posted or do we have to keep obsessively checking Helios?

PMan99
Posts: 300
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:21 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby PMan99 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:59 pm

Not that it'll stop you from obsessively checking helios, but you get an email.

AnonDane
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:02 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby AnonDane » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:50 pm

Looks like tomorrow instead.

Mista Bojangles
Posts: 243
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:33 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Mista Bojangles » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:14 pm

LOL grades apparently being released tomorrow at 5PM, right at the beginning of LRW. what timing. as a BSA i'm (perversely) excited to be there for the spectacle

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2739
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby TripTrip » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:40 pm

Mista Bojangles wrote:LOL grades apparently being released tomorrow at 5PM, right at the beginning of LRW. what timing. as a BSA i'm (perversely) excited to be there for the spectacle

I'm really curious how the Climenkos will handle it if the grades aren't released by class start.

AnonDane
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:02 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby AnonDane » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:50 pm

I bet they'll come out at 3pm anyway, like they usually do. But definitely interested to hear how LRW goes otherwise.

tomwatts
Posts: 1551
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:01 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby tomwatts » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:53 pm

PMan99 wrote:Professor X got an F in conlaw in 1963 and still managed to clerk for the Supreme Court! Grades don't matter!

To be fair, he got that SCOTUS clerkship only because he telepathically controlled a judge.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests