Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
thewaves

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby thewaves » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:04 pm

What kind of grades do you need to have a *good* shot at SF/SV? Assume ties to the region, non-IP, decent WE. Thanks!

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:38 pm

thewaves wrote:What kind of grades do you need to have a *good* shot at SF/SV? Assume ties to the region, non-IP, decent WE. Thanks!

Median grades + strong interviewing skills will do it.

If you're a bad interviewer, grades won't save you in SF/SV. (They'll save you in NYC though if they're good enough).

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:48 pm

Jaspers wrote:2 questions-

1. Anyone know anything about the Petrie-Flom student fellowship? It's open to all Harvard graduate students but the center is based at HLS, and I was wondering how competitive the fellowship is as a 3L.

2. How do HLS students tend to fare in patent law? For example, would a median student with a strong scientific background in a desirable area have a good shot at firms like Kirkland or Paul Weiss NYC?

Thanks!

If your interest is in patent prosecution, as opposed to patent litigation, you should not rely solely on HLS OCI. Many IP firms do not even bother coming to HLS (maybe because they get low yield?) For example, in my year, I remember Finnegan (probably one of the top IP firms for both pros and lit) did not even interview at HLS OCI. You probably want to apply directly and/or do Loyola PLIP. With median/scientific background you should get great patent litigation practice areas.

Lovely Ludwig Van

Postby Lovely Ludwig Van » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:49 am

Going to miss two PSW classes due to cancelled flights. Anyone know how many PSW classes one can miss before being in danger of not passing?

Mista Bojangles

Postby Mista Bojangles » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:18 pm

Lovely Ludwig Van wrote:Going to miss two PSW classes due to cancelled flights. Anyone know how many PSW classes one can miss before being in danger of not passing?

Considering the class is just three weeks long, two in a row is already pushing it (if for frivolous reasons). The person I know missed three over the first week before getting the warning. But since your two absences are unavoidable, just email the professor to let him know / apologize, and make sure not to miss any more once you're here. No problem.

Also make contact w/ your student group, tell them what's up, and offer to help remotely with anything they're working on in the first couple days.

Lovely Ludwig Van

Postby Lovely Ludwig Van » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:44 pm

Thanks. Will do just that.

twelveoaks

Postby twelveoaks » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:25 pm

1. Anyone know anything about the Petrie-Flom student fellowship? It's open to all Harvard graduate students but the center is based at HLS, and I was wondering how competitive the fellowship is as a 3L.

2. How do HLS students tend to fare in patent law? For example, would a median student with a strong scientific background in a desirable area have a good shot at firms like Kirkland or Paul Weiss NYC?

Thanks!

1. Did the Petrie Flom student fellowship my 2L year, so I applied as a rising 2L.

Competitiveness: I was told at the time I applied that priority would be given to rising 3Ls, actually, so 3Ls should have a better chance. I don't know about exact acceptance rates, but there does seem to be some competition for it. Think about it: only 2-3 people are accepted from each class year (2L and 3L), but there's a lot more than that who are interested in biotechnology and health law. A few PhD, MPH, MD, or other grad students round out the group of chosen fellows, but most fellows are tied to the law school. If I had to guess, I'd say there's a 50-60% acceptance rate. It's definitely worth a shot if your background is decently tied to biotech, health law, or bioethics.

"Do you know anything...?": Not sure what you mean by by "anything." You can find all this out on the website, but the fellowship basically entails the benefits of (1) the title of "student fellow" for a year (and on your resume forever), (2) a designated academic mentor (prof wannabe) and professor mentor to read your drafts and help you shape your ideas for a publishable paper on a topic of your choosing, and (3) $1500 give or take upon completion of your research paper in the spring. In addition, you can use the paper as 2-3 academic credits to help you round out your lighter semester in lieu of a class. Not a bad gig.

The only thing you have to do as a fellow during the year, besides writing the paper (obviously), is going to a few presentations on health law and taking a class called "Health Law Policy Workshop" which met every other week for both semesters. I believe that since I did the fellowship a few years ago, Petrie Flom has added a blogging requirement, which is cool b/c you get published throughout the year that way, but it's also an increased time commitment that can sometimes be a pain in the neck.

Searchparty

Postby Searchparty » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:44 pm

twelveoaks wrote:

Thanks!

1. Did the Petrie Flom student fellowship my 2L year, so I applied as a rising 2L.

Competitiveness: I was told at the time I applied that priority would be given to rising 3Ls, actually, so 3Ls should have a better chance. I don't know about exact acceptance rates, but there does seem to be some competition for it. Think about it: only 2-3 people are accepted from each class year (2L and 3L), but there's a lot more than that who are interested in biotechnology and health law. A few PhD, MPH, MD, or other grad students round out the group of chosen fellows, but most fellows are tied to the law school. If I had to guess, I'd say there's a 50-60% acceptance rate. It's definitely worth a shot if your background is decently tied to biotech, health law, or bioethics.

"Do you know anything...?": Not sure what you mean by by "anything." You can find all this out on the website, but the fellowship basically entails the benefits of (1) the title of "student fellow" for a year (and on your resume forever), (2) a designated academic mentor (prof wannabe) and professor mentor to read your drafts and help you shape your ideas for a publishable paper on a topic of your choosing, and (3) $1500 give or take upon completion of your research paper in the spring. In addition, you can use the paper as 2-3 academic credits to help you round out your lighter semester in lieu of a class. Not a bad gig.

The only thing you have to do as a fellow during the year, besides writing the paper (obviously), is going to a few presentations on health law and taking a class called "Health Law Policy Workshop" which met every other week for both semesters. I believe that since I did the fellowship a few years ago, Petrie Flom has added a blogging requirement, which is cool b/c you get published throughout the year that way, but it's also an increased time commitment that can sometimes be a pain in the neck.

Do you have any suggestions for people who have zero background, but a strong interest? :(
Would attending their events and workshops help chances?

wwwcol

Postby wwwcol » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:59 pm

when do grades come out?

twelveoaks

Postby twelveoaks » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:28 pm

Searchparty wrote:
twelveoaks wrote:

Thanks!

Do you have any suggestions for people who have zero background, but a strong interest? :(
Would attending their events and workshops help chances?

A background obviously helps, but if you have zero background, I think you still have a shot. Your proposal might have to be slightly stronger and you need to demonstrate your interest through your current activities: Food Law Society, Health Law Policy Clinic, taking health law, patent law, advanced IP, environmental law, JOLT, could all help a bit. And as you said, attending their events and actually being able to talk about them helps. Meet with the Profs who run the Petrie Flom center to toss around your early paper ideas and mention articles you've read recently (both newspaper and academic) well in advance of applying. Think about what made you become interested despite lack of background. Does it tie in whatsoever to any work or academic experience you had? Make that your bridge into the field.

lameslice57

Postby lameslice57 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:15 am

wwwcol wrote:when do grades come out?

Last year we got them on the last Monday or Tuesday of January. So probably around then.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:27 am

PSA to all 1Ls I see working on PSW at 4pm in WCC: Stop working so hard at PSW. You're not supposed to care.

AllTheLawz

Postby AllTheLawz » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:24 am

Doorkeeper wrote:PSA to all 1Ls I see working on PSW at 4pm in WCC: Stop working so hard at PSW. You're not supposed to care.

TBF, 3Ls are working just as hard at classes that don't matter. 3LOL is a lie.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:15 am

AllTheLawz wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:PSA to all 1Ls I see working on PSW at 4pm in WCC: Stop working so hard at PSW. You're not supposed to care.

Don't say that! 3LOL is what keeps me going in life.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:22 pm

AllTheLawz wrote:

?? 3LOL has been real for me.

Black_Swan

Postby Black_Swan » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:14 am

Sorry if this has been already discussed. How is the housing situation at hls? Do they have a website showing more than just prices? So far I have only seen very disappointing pictures of a few places. Is the housing situation as terrible as it appears? What are the options for living about 10 min walking distance from the school?

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:25 pm

Black_Swan wrote:Sorry if this has been already discussed. How is the housing situation at hls? Do they have a website showing more than just prices? So far I have only seen very disappointing pictures of a few places. Is the housing situation as terrible as it appears? What are the options for living about 10 min walking distance from the school?

This has been discussed ad nauseum in extreme detail throughout this thread. Search through it and you'll find excellent, detailed posts that answer your questions from a variety of posters, including englawyer & doublechecks (who have both graduated and don't frequent this thread as much anymore).

But, in short, yes, it's as terrible as it appears, especially if you aren't willing to spend a lot of money. Welcome to Cambridge.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:28 pm

Black_Swan wrote:Sorry if this has been already discussed. How is the housing situation at hls? Do they have a website showing more than just prices? So far I have only seen very disappointing pictures of a few places. Is the housing situation as terrible as it appears? What are the options for living about 10 min walking distance from the school?

You're going to spend at least $1000/month for anything other than the smallest dorm, which has a bed on one side and a desk on the other.

It's not as bad as New York, but it's worse than most everywhere else.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:41 pm

One thing to add: Living with roommates can significantly bring down the price.

Lovely Ludwig Van

Postby Lovely Ludwig Van » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:05 pm

20 hours to decide, any opinions on Clark for Corporations vs. Cope for Analytical Methods for lawyers?

Black_Swan

Postby Black_Swan » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:05 pm

acrossthelake wrote:

This has been discussed ad nauseum in extreme detail throughout this thread. Search through it and you'll find excellent, detailed posts that answer your questions from a variety of posters, including englawyer & doublechecks (who have both graduated and don't frequent this thread as much anymore).

But, in short, yes, it's as terrible as it appears, especially if you aren't willing to spend a lot of money. Welcome to Cambridge.

Gasp... 120 posts to search trough :-(
Thanks for the welcome

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:18 pm

Black_Swan wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:

Gasp... 120 posts to search trough :-(
Thanks for the welcome

Unfortunate search, but your best answers are back there.

hlsperson1111

Postby hlsperson1111 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:54 am

Lovely Ludwig Van wrote:20 hours to decide, any opinions on Clark for Corporations vs. Cope for Analytical Methods for lawyers?

Haven't taken Clark, but Cope's class is the easiest H you can get at HLS and also will teach you a couple of practical and useful things about accounting and finance. I highly recommend it, especially if the rest of your schedule is hard (e.g. if it's your 1L elective; if you are also taking Fed Courts, Admin, 4th/5th/6th, Corporate Tax, Securities Reg, etc.)

That said, if you are a 3L, you should probably take Corporations before you graduate.

owlofminerva

Postby owlofminerva » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:27 am

hlsperson1111 wrote:
Lovely Ludwig Van wrote:20 hours to decide, any opinions on Clark for Corporations vs. Cope for Analytical Methods for lawyers?

Haven't taken Clark, but Cope's class is the easiest H you can get at HLS and also will teach you a couple of practical and useful things about accounting and finance. I highly recommend it, especially if the rest of your schedule is hard (e.g. if it's your 1L elective; if you are also taking Fed Courts, Admin, 4th/5th/6th, Corporate Tax, Securities Reg, etc.)

That said, if you are a 3L, you should probably take Corporations before you graduate.

I had Clark--he is a pretty decent professor. Not the funniest guy, but he does try to make the class mildly entertaining by occasionally singing a song to the class with corporations-related lyrics. He does not cold call. You get put on a panel and told at the beginning of the semester the two or so times you are on call. He also uses Powerpoint slides to convey all of the information to minimize the need for note-taking. For a corporations class--which I think is pretty essential for most anybody going into private practice at least--it is a good option. That said, I know Analytical Methods is known as an easy H from anecdotal experience.

Mr. Elshal

Postby Mr. Elshal » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:45 am

Do grades come out before SIP interviews start? If I were lucky enough to get an interview but the firm specifies that I should bring my transcript to the interview, could that cause an issue? Interviews start on January 27 this year.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”