Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
gottago

deleted

Postby gottago » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:06 pm

deleted
Last edited by gottago on Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stinson

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Stinson » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:13 pm

vzapana wrote:How about HUHS inpatient services? I went to Yale for UG, and the UHS staff there would diagnose all ill men as having pneumonia and all ill women as being pregnant. Not the most helpful of people.

Health services is generally pretty legit. I had various dealings with them and I thought the doctors did a pretty good job and the run-around was kept to a minimum.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:28 pm

Stinson wrote:
vzapana wrote:How about HUHS inpatient services? I went to Yale for UG, and the UHS staff there would diagnose all ill men as having pneumonia and all ill women as being pregnant. Not the most helpful of people.

Health services is generally pretty legit. I had various dealings with them and I thought the doctors did a pretty good job and the run-around was kept to a minimum.

+1

domino

Postby domino » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:43 pm

gottago wrote:a recent student told me that as a 1L he got multiple offers from firms and boutiques by interviewing with the Spring interview program because he didn't participate in mass mailings.

He was asian and probably had 3-4 Hs first semester (he eventually got at EIP a grade selective V10 like Cravath, SullCrom, Skadden, K&E or some of the bottom V10s).

Is it easy to get 1L SAs in the spring interview program? I'm not asking about WLRK or GDC 1LSAs. Just any market paying firm will do. Is it easy for anyone, or for non-urm minorities (Asian, nonMA/PR H like Argentinian, etc.)

Also interested in this

justinp

Postby justinp » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:54 am

domino wrote:
gottago wrote:a recent student told me that as a 1L he got multiple offers from firms and boutiques by interviewing with the Spring interview program because he didn't participate in mass mailings.

He was asian and probably had 3-4 Hs first semester (he eventually got at EIP a grade selective V10 like Cravath, SullCrom, Skadden, K&E or some of the bottom V10s).

Is it easy to get 1L SAs in the spring interview program? I'm not asking about WLRK or GDC 1LSAs. Just any market paying firm will do. Is it easy for anyone, or for non-urm minorities (Asian, nonMA/PR H like Argentinian, etc.)

Also interested in this

Not easy, but also not impossible. The problem is that most of these firms hire between zero and two 1Ls, and there are a lot of folks on the market. The result is a pretty bad signal to noise ratio in the results-- some folks do well and others don't. Lots of luck. Definitely do not plan to only do spring first year oci and waltz into a job.

All of that is in re: non Texas markets; if you're a Texan and want to go to a firm for 1L summer you're in good shape.

gottago

deleted

Postby gottago » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:17 pm

deleted
Last edited by gottago on Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

viacavour

Postby viacavour » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:20 pm

2L here. Selling textbooks for Lanni, Manning, Sargentich and Mann. I'll throw in my outlines as an added bonus (got Hs in all of those except Mann). PM me if interested.

sabanist

Postby sabanist » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:46 pm

Last edited by sabanist on Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

domino

Postby domino » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:52 pm

Thanks for the tips!

Are there conventional ballpark start and end dates for SA positions? (I would like to participate in an exchange program that goes until early June and take about 2 weeks after that for a personal project this coming summer--so mid-June would be ideal.)

tachikara

Postby tachikara » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:50 pm

domino wrote:Thanks for the tips!

Are there conventional ballpark start and end dates for SA positions? (I would like to participate in an exchange program that goes until early June and take about 2 weeks after that for a personal project this coming summer--so mid-June would be ideal.)

That's leaves only like 8 weeks before EIP starts; many places will ask for a 10 week commitment. And you really, really cannot depend on getting an SA position. It can be absurdly competitive, even with good grades. The summer between 1L and 2L is very short, and if you participate in the Law Review Writing Competition and make it, you lose another two weeks. I personally would not advise planning for anything other than a summer job.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:53 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:Soo are mice in apartments a common problem here? Or did I just win the lottery when I picked my apartment building? I'm curious because I'm wondering if I should plan on moving next year. ( I haaaaate moving and love my location but rent is almost 2K and that apparently includes free pets that I don't want).

My place in brighton had them. I used my law school learnin to break my lease and moved into Harvard housing in Cambride. Haven't had a problem here.

domino

Postby domino » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:20 pm

tachikara wrote:

That's leaves only like 8 weeks before EIP starts; many places will ask for a 10 week commitment. And you really, really cannot depend on getting an SA position. It can be absurdly competitive, even with good grades. The summer between 1L and 2L is very short, and if you participate in the Law Review Writing Competition and make it, you lose another two weeks. I personally would not advise planning for anything other than a summer job.

Thanks very much, all that is good to know. I'm not counting on anything as sure or even probable right now given that we're right at the beginning and I don't know a lot about this yet; I was more laying out my ideal timeline.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:10 pm

GTFO Yalie!

:)

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:13 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:Soo are mice in apartments a common problem here? Or did I just win the lottery when I picked my apartment building? I'm curious because I'm wondering if I should plan on moving next year. ( I haaaaate moving and love my location but rent is almost 2K and that apparently includes free pets that I don't want).

My place in brighton had them. I used my law school learnin to break my lease and moved into Harvard housing in Cambride. Haven't had a problem here.

:lol: GJ

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:28 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:

Yeah the guy tried to make me pay the reminder of the lease until I started throwing out words like constructive eviction and quoting the Massachusetts health code. I also used my law school signature block on our correspondences. After that he was happy to let me move out, I think he was afraid of me telling the other tenants their rights.

tachikara

Postby tachikara » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:28 am

--
Last edited by tachikara on Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

domino

Postby domino » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:09 am

Doorkeeper wrote:

GTFO Yalie!

:)

Ha, busted! =P

Mr. Elshal

Postby Mr. Elshal » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:43 am

justinp wrote:
domino wrote:

Also interested in this

Not easy, but also not impossible. The problem is that most of these firms hire between zero and two 1Ls, and there are a lot of folks on the market. The result is a pretty bad signal to noise ratio in the results-- some folks do well and others don't. Lots of luck. Definitely do not plan to only do spring first year oci and waltz into a job.

All of that is in re: non Texas markets; if you're a Texan and want to go to a firm for 1L summer you're in good shape.

How do 1Ls apply for SAs? I know it may seem ignorant of me at this point in the game, but I don't want to get left in the dark.

gottago

deleted

Postby gottago » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:43 am

deleted

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:33 am

gottago wrote:
gottago wrote:what about non-Texans wanting to go to TX? It won't be credible coming from a 1L?

and what about summer legal positions @ banks, F500 corps like google? Are those obtainable via the spring interview program, or are those mass mail?

the spring interview program's description says it's for all 3 classes. Most 2Ls and 3Ls should have offers already. Wouldn't they be there specifically for 1Ls?

i'm not from Texas and had no problem getting multiple offers there my 2L year. As long as you can craft a good story, and can interview well you shouldn't have a problem. My 1L year I only had one interview with Texas firms. I had to network and send out a ton of resumes and cover letters just to get that one interview, but I didn't get an offer. I also had a couple of offers from big companies. The main thing is the hustle you put in a lot of my classmates didn't really hustle for these spots because they wanted to try something different 1L year and it is much easier to get a job that doesn't pay you anything. The firm job I actually accepted my 1L year was through SIP and I didn't know any 2Ls or 3Ls who interviewed through that program

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:05 am

Mr. Elshal wrote:
justinp wrote:
domino wrote:

Also interested in this

How do 1Ls apply for SAs? I know it may seem ignorant of me at this point in the game, but I don't want to get left in the dark.

The short answer is that you should ask OCS this in November, because you literally are barred by ABA rules from getting official career advice until then and can't begin applying until December.

The longer answer is that you send resume + cover letter + whatever else they ask for in December to whoever might be hiring. A lot of firms advertise with OCS on their job bank website (called CSM), which you get access to when it comes time to start thinking about this. There's also this Spring Interview Program, and there are some other avenues. But most 1Ls don't get SA jobs, because there really aren't very many SA jobs to go around for 1Ls. There are plenty for 2Ls, though, so that's when it really happens for most people.

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:57 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:

Yeah the guy tried to make me pay the reminder of the lease until I started throwing out words like constructive eviction and quoting the Massachusetts health code. I also used my law school signature block on our correspondences. After that he was happy to let me move out, I think he was afraid of me telling the other tenants their rights.

Niiiiiiice. 8)

gottago

deleted

Postby gottago » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:00 pm

deleted

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:52 pm

gottago wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:
gottago wrote:
gottago wrote:what about non-Texans wanting to go to TX? It won't be credible coming from a 1L?

and what about summer legal positions @ banks, F500 corps like google? Are those obtainable via the spring interview program, or are those mass mail?

the spring interview program's description says it's for all 3 classes. Most 2Ls and 3Ls should have offers already. Wouldn't they be there specifically for 1Ls?

i'm not from Texas and had no problem getting multiple offers there my 2L year. As long as you can craft a good story, and can interview well you shouldn't have a problem. My 1L year I only had one interview with Texas firms. I had to network and send out a ton of resumes and cover letters just to get that one interview, but I didn't get an offer. I also had a couple of offers from big companies. The main thing is the hustle you put in a lot of my classmates didn't really hustle for these spots because they wanted to try something different 1L year and it is much easier to get a job that doesn't pay you anything. The firm job I actually accepted my 1L year was through SIP and I didn't know any 2Ls or 3Ls who interviewed through that program

You got a firm job through SIP 1L year? did it pay market?

are you diverse? were you top X% after the first semester? was it in a secondary market you're from?

If the SIP is practically only for 1Ls, do the firms just come interview but then hire very few of the interviewees, or what?

Sorry I post to much on here to give that much information. But I know people who got jobs through SIP who were diverse and who weren't diverse. Some who had great grades and some who had more average grades. It just depends on the job and employer and what they are looking for.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:03 pm

gottago wrote:
You got a firm job through SIP 1L year? did it pay market?

are you diverse? were you top X% after the first semester? was it in a secondary market you're from?

If the SIP is practically only for 1Ls, do the firms just come interview but then hire very few of the interviewees, or what?

I know several Asians who got firm jobs through SIP, as well as one White student who had ties to the region. Major markets. They were at around median or better in terms of grades. Market for the ones I knew.

The issue is very few firms come, so it's not something to rely on getting a job from. You also have to actually get an interview through lottery, though you can try to beg for one.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”