Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
tachikara

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby tachikara » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:39 pm

dcg2120 wrote:What do people think about bike locks on and around campus (especially Somerville area)? Should I spring for a big U-lock or will a cable lock be enough?

And thanks again for all your help and advice!

If you want to just try out the rent-a-bikes on campus, hubway has a deal for harvard kids

http://www.thehubway.com

1. Select Harvard University
2. Use your HLS email address
3. Password = HARVARD

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:51 pm

zdamico wrote:People have posted thoughts on Section 1 professors for the Fall (Singer, Sargentich, Cohen). Any thoughts on Spring professors (Weinreb, Manning)?

Manning is a pretty big deal in the subject that he teaches. He (literally) wrote the book on Leg Reg, and he follows it quite closely. He's also genuinely very nice and very approachable. Make sure you go to office hours; it's worth it. He is extremely detailed in how he traces out the logic of every case, so you'll want to take careful notes about each logical step in each opinion that you read. And generally I think he's a good teacher.

Haven't had Weinreb, but I hear good things.

BelugaWhale

Postby BelugaWhale » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:10 am

Last edited by BelugaWhale on Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trojandave

Postby trojandave » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:07 pm

Since no one's posted this section yet - anyone have any comments/advice on the following professors? Thanks!

Fall
Torts: Goldberg
Contracts: Lessig
Property: Mann
Civ Pro: Willis (I think visiting from Loyola LA)
Writing: Muller

Winter
Problem Solving: Lee
What is this class?

Spring
Crim: Sullivan
Leg/Reg: Gersen

trojandave

Postby trojandave » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:08 pm

Also how tough is it to get a good study area in Langdell on a regular basis? Both during the semester and during finals? If it's full where else do people go?

I, Lawyer

Postby I, Lawyer » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:44 pm

Important question: I move into Gropius on Aug. 30 and college football starts the next day. Where is the best place/sports bar to watch games?

delusional

Postby delusional » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:12 pm

trojandave wrote:Since no one's posted this section yet - anyone have any comments/advice on the following professors? Thanks!

Fall

Winter
What is this class?

Spring

Is that Bill Lee? Oh my. I had Sullivan for Crim. Very enjoyable. The exam will most likely be on the Model Penal Code rather than the stuff you discuss day to day. Not that you need to think about that now.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:13 pm

I, Lawyer wrote:Important question: I move into Gropius on Aug. 30 and college football starts the next day. Where is the best place/sports bar to watch games?

Cambridge Common is decent. A lot of folks roll to Pizzeria Uno in Harvard Square for NFL Sundays, but haven't been there on Saturdays. Tavern on the Square in Central Square is decent (be sure to go to Tavern for Sunday brunch). I think the Field in Central is better. Went to Tommy Doyle's the beginning of the school year, but got tired of it and refused to go there second semester. Surprisingly enjoyed the Boathouse and they have good food, but it's not really a sports bar or anything, just a restaurant.

But, as much as Boston is supposedly a sports town, the sports bar scene, at least in Cambridge, is pretty awful.

[I'm probably missing a few but, those are the bars off the top of my head].

delusional

Postby delusional » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:21 pm

wert3813 wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:Note: I haven't personally had all of these profs. My comments are an amalgamation of class, second hand from friends, and talking with the professors in office hours.

wert3813 wrote:Cohen, Civ. Pro
Gelpern, Contracts
Singer, Property
Torts, Sargentich
LRW, Stoughton

Anybody? Also this is section 1 for those who care.

LOL. Good fucking luck with this section.

Singer makes you memorize everything. Don't skip the footnotes. Seriously.

And Cohen is a nice, if demanding and very odd, fellow.

Great. Anybody wanna strongly dispute this so I can sleep at night? Gelpern is visiting from DC American now Georgetown.
Dunno what he's saying about Singer. There are three things you need to know for Singer, and the exam has one question utilizing each (although of course you draw on the three things for all the questions as well).

1. Different types of arguments for either side of a legal question based on:
a. Statutory interpretation
b. Precedent
c. Public policy
d. Administrability

2. Classic issue spotter, but make sure that you are comfortable making arguments for both sides. You will be, because you will spend most of the semester on this.

3. Takings doctrine (application of the Penn Central test)

I have also found that Singer's class was one of those that is applicable in other areas, including LRW and PSW.

sabanist

Postby sabanist » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:26 pm

I, Lawyer wrote:Important question: I move into Gropius on Aug. 30 and college football starts the next day. Where is the best place/sports bar to watch games?

If you're really wanting to watch a specific team, find where the local alumni association watches the game - that's what I'm doing for Bama, at least for the opener.

BlakcMajikc, thanks for the advice on the rest. I'll definitely check some of those out.

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:22 pm

Soo are mice in apartments a common problem here? Or did I just win the lottery when I picked my apartment building? I'm curious because I'm wondering if I should plan on moving next year. ( I haaaaate moving and love my location but rent is almost 2K and that apparently includes free pets that I don't want).

Kitkatt

Postby Kitkatt » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:28 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:Soo are mice in apartments a common problem here? Or did I just win the lottery when I picked my apartment building? I'm curious because I'm wondering if I should plan on moving next year. ( I haaaaate moving and love my location but rent is almost 2K and that apparently includes free pets that I don't want).

Well now I'm terrified.

tachikara

Postby tachikara » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:49 pm

--
Last edited by tachikara on Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trojandave

Postby trojandave » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:00 pm

tachikara wrote:
delusional wrote:
trojandave wrote:Since no one's posted this section yet - anyone have any comments/advice on the following professors? Thanks!

Fall

Winter
What is this class?

Spring

Is that Bill Lee? Oh my. I had Sullivan for Crim. Very enjoyable. The exam will most likely be on the Model Penal Code rather than the stuff you discuss day to day. Not that you need to think about that now.

You owe it to yourself to take a look at Lessig's exams, because you'll see that it doesn't necessarily match up well with his syllabus; it mostly tests precise application of the UCC and Restatements in a yes/no/maybe format. I'd pick up Chirelstein and read it over to give yourself the big picture.

PSW is basically a group class that's supposed to teach you to be a better lawyer. I think it's still ungraded, and it's mostly group assignments done over winter period. I would not stress out about it at all. Bill Lee is a superstar litigator from WilmerHale if you are interested in reading up on him.

This is all awesome, thank you both!

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:05 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:Soo are mice in apartments a common problem here? Or did I just win the lottery when I picked my apartment building? I'm curious because I'm wondering if I should plan on moving next year. ( I haaaaate moving and love my location but rent is almost 2K and that apparently includes free pets that I don't want).

I had a mice infestation during my 1L finals (think finding mice droppings in your bed, and frying pan). It was incredibly stressful to have that hit when it did (my hair started falling out, thanks cortisol). Luckily I was able to stay with my now ex-boyfriend at the time, but oh god.

Apparently there were holes in the wall throughout the apartment through which the mice were getting through. Management plugged the holes with metal wiring (they can't chew through that) and then eventually it went away, though I did have a night where I could hear the mice struggle (but fail) to get through.

I moved the next year and haven't had an issue since.

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:13 pm

acrossthelake wrote:

I had a mice infestation during my 1L finals (think finding mice droppings in your bed, and frying pan). It was incredibly stressful to have that hit when it did (my hair started falling out, thanks cortisol). Luckily I was able to stay with my now ex-boyfriend at the time, but oh god.

Apparently there were holes in the wall throughout the apartment through which the mice were getting through. Management plugged the holes with metal wiring (they can't chew through that) and then eventually it went away, though I did have a night where I could hear the mice struggle (but fail) to get through.

I moved the next year and haven't had an issue since.

That sounds oddly familiar haha. I wonder if we chose the same place. Mine had a gaping hole (as in through to the next room's wall) under my kitchen sink that I had them fill today, but they seem to be coming (happily for me) from the radiator thingy that is inset on the wall that my desk is pushed up against. I complained that I had four (!) mice in my living room last night and the super didn't seem at all surprised or concerned beyond putting sticky traps throughout my apartment. Within an hour, I had to deal with a mouse that was very much alive and protesting but glued to a trap. I'm considering just calling the health dept now and getting it over with so I don't have a situation like you had. I'm assuming late night mouse disturbances aren't the best way to spend my time outside class.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:24 pm

Judging by what you're saying, I'm pretty suspicious we're talking about the same place. Feel free to PM me to check.

jone7007

Postby jone7007 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:10 am

Try Decon, so much better than traps http://www.amazon.com/Ready-Mixed-Baitbits-Mouse-Bait-48/dp/B000AYE0LG/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1376626144&sr=8-12&keywords=decon

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:58 am

Wormfather wrote:The Harvard Square area is infested with rats and mice (been here about 6 weeks and see them running accross the street rustling in the bushes/trash areas and neighbors have warned me). But mice are usually happy to stay outside during the summer, so if you're having problems in August, I'd totally get that nipped right now.

Yeah, there's a reason the problem didn't start until right before finals, usually doesn't show up till it gets rather cold.

Searchparty

Postby Searchparty » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:32 am

Fuuuuuuudge. What about other pests? Spiders? Roaches? I've literally never experienced mice as a pest before.

Anyone speak of personally experience with these things in the HUH buildings?

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:43 am

jone7007 wrote:

Try Decon, so much better than traps http://www.amazon.com/Ready-Mixed-Baitbits-Mouse-Bait-48/dp/B000AYE0LG/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1376626144&sr=8-12&keywords=decon

Oh trust me, the sticky traps were not my idea. Whyyy would you use a trap that glues a live mouse to a board? That means I get to hear squealing until I pick it up and take care of it. Not my idea of how I want them to deal with the issue. But they said that's all they have so I should "pick them up and go throw them in the dumpster [ALIVE]".

And as you guys said, it has been a problem since early August aka still nice and warm. And they seem to be just laying down sticky traps in the apartments of people who complain which seems to me to be just a band-aid since from what I understand we need to solve the root problem of nests and where they are entering. Sighhhh I was hoping that when you pay 2k a month in rent, you wouldn't have to call the health dept about your living conditions. :x But I'd love to hear from more people if this is extremely common because I'd hate to go to the pains of moving and just relive the same issue.

edgeofthenight

Postby edgeofthenight » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:03 pm

Last edited by edgeofthenight on Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:59 pm

Eichörnchen, no this is the worst I've ever heard of. My management company actually fixed the problem. 2K/mo in rent is ridiculous for a place that isn't giving you good service.

sabanist

Postby sabanist » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:46 pm

Last edited by sabanist on Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vzapana

Postby vzapana » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:17 pm

How about HUHS inpatient services? I went to Yale for UG, and the UHS staff there would diagnose all ill men as having pneumonia and all ill women as being pregnant. Not the most helpful of people.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”