Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
pillowcase33

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby pillowcase33 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:39 pm

Can someone comment on the following line-up of professors?

Fall:
Civil Procedure - Greiner
Torts - Lazarus
Legislation and Regulation - Davies
Contracts - Kennedy (Randall)
Lesearch Research and Writing - Davis

Spring:
Criminal Law - Meltzer
Property - Benkler

Would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Mista Bojangles

Postby Mista Bojangles » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:33 am

Doorkeeper - out of genuine curiosity, how do you feel able to offer an actual informed opinion on so many professors? After all, you've only had one set of them. I have strong opinions about the professors I've actually had, but regarding all the others, I have just scattered opinions of friends, and I wouldn't feel confident using that as a basis for offering authoritative-sounding info ITT.

ETA: totes not trying to be a dick, if it comes off that way - because you do sound genuinely informed, but I'm just wondering how.
Last edited by Mista Bojangles on Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

polareagle

Postby polareagle » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:42 am

Last edited by polareagle on Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stinson

Postby Stinson » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:18 am

polareagle wrote:Section 4:

Fall:
Ferrell - Contracts
Robertson (visiting) - Torts
Stephenson - LegReg
Rubenstein - CivPro

Spring:
Mack - Property
Suk (section leader) - Crim

Any thoughts or insights would be wonderful. Thanks!

Part of the problem is that the Section 4 lineup has changed so much. I just graduated and only two of these are the same. Fortunately, you are doing very well with those two. Rubenstein is an extremely capable and dedicated teacher in the 1L subject that, I think, demands the best teaching. Also, no real cold calling there - he does not have a call list but will only call on you if you were born or went to college near the place where the case is taking place. Yeah it's weird, but it puts you on notice when you're reading the case that he might call on you. (Or it should anyway; I was born in NJ and I still remember Rubenstein: "Mr. Stinson, this case takes place in Philadelphia. Philadelphia is right across the Delaware river from New Jersey, is it not?" :lol: Terror, but all in good fun.")

Suk is a great crim law professor - she almost won the teaching award at graduation this year, and is the law school's first female Asian American tenured professor. (She got tenure right at the end of our semester and bought cookies for all of us.) There will be good discussions in her class. But she is undoubtedly intense. You must read for her class; she will cold call and she will know right away if you didn't read the case. And whatever you do, DO NOT show up late and then ask a question. I saw people get utterly eviscerated that way.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:11 pm

wert3813 wrote:Cohen, Civ. Pro
Gelpern, Contracts
Singer, Property
Torts, Sargentich
LRW, Stoughton

Anybody? Also this is section 1 for those who care.

I really liked Cohen. He talks quickly, but there's a lot of repetition. Instead of saying a concept once slowly, he'll repeat it two to three times rapidly, phrased differently. I think because research shows this is actually more effective (as long as the person listening isn't panicking). So don't panic if you can't take notes at the rate he speaks. He's saying a lot less than you think.

Singer is alright. He was sort of irritated at me for missing class for job interviews, but I wasn't about to turn down those job interviews, so that put me in an unfortunate spot.

Sargentich likes to teach a lot of theory, but less BLL. Some people love this, some people hate this. If you hate it, stop whining and just get an E&E.

Davies for LegReg (from another post) is also a quick talker who also repeats. Same thing as Cohen; just listen and you'll be fine. There isn't all that much real content in LegReg.

Hanson is very into mind sciences stuff, except he has no training in it, and it's a fairly cherry-picked view (more than usual). He's a fairly nice person, though.

bosmer88

Postby bosmer88 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:57 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:Oh fuck. I think this is an even better line up than the other section. Every professor here is quality, minus Gertner who is horrible. Be prepared to teach yourself Criminal law. Tushnet teaches a much more theoretical LegReg than the other profs and students are very divided on him. Don't spurn him just because his LegReg is difficult and weird. Rakoff is great.

Also, Bert Huang is a motherfucking badass. He's visiting from Columbia, but I bet Harvard is going to give him an offer.

Thanks for your input!

BelugaWhale

Postby BelugaWhale » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:15 pm

bosmer88 wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:Oh fuck. I think this is an even better line up than the other section. Every professor here is quality, minus Gertner who is horrible. Be prepared to teach yourself Criminal law. Tushnet teaches a much more theoretical LegReg than the other profs and students are very divided on him. Don't spurn him just because his LegReg is difficult and weird. Rakoff is great.

Also, Bert Huang is a motherfucking badass. He's visiting from Columbia, but I bet Harvard is going to give him an offer.

Thanks for your input!

I would tone down that enthusiasm about section 7 profs.

Rakoff and Goldsmith are great. But to only call Tushnet as "divided" is overestimating how good he is. He's great at doing detials but pretty bad at tying everything together/the broad picture. I'm also surprised you didn't at least say something about Glendon. Glendon is not very good in my opinion and this belief I believe is pretty wide spread. I mean just look at her reviews, they're definitely not even close to being on par with Rakoff or Goldsmith.

despina

Postby despina » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:11 pm

Rubenstein is a fantastic teacher. As somebody said above, read cases you have some kind of geographical connection to very carefully, and watch out if the case name sounds like your name or your college name (somebody who went to Temple got cold called for Temple v Synthes, lol). If you're not American, or if you're from a state with more students than cases (NJ), all bets are off.

Opinion on Suk is divided because not everybody loves the traditional-ish socratic style -- she definitely grew on me and I was totally sold by the end of the semester. She's intimidating because she's brilliant, gorgeous, and 100% willing to call anybody on their bullshit. She has worked as a prosecutor and mostly writes about family and crim law, but... http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/opini ... 757F1ADEB9

People love Rakoff for Contracts. I also hear good things about Barron and Steiker. Supposedly Hanson doesn't actually teach torts in Torts, but it's interesting anyway?

polareagle

Postby polareagle » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:46 pm

Last edited by polareagle on Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:57 pm

Mista Bojangles wrote:Doorkeeper - out of genuine curiosity, how do you feel able to offer an actual informed opinion on so many professors? After all, you've only had one set of them. I have strong opinions about the professors I've actually had, but regarding all the others, I have just scattered opinions of friends, and I wouldn't feel confident using that as a basis for offering authoritative-sounding info ITT.

ETA: totes not trying to be a dick, if it comes off that way - because you do sound genuinely informed, but I'm just wondering how.

I put a disclaimer up front that the opinions were a mix of my professors, second hand information from my friends across the 1L/2L/3Ls, and professors that I didn't have but visited for office hours. I like hearing about other professors, so I always asked my friends in other sections their thoughts about their professors so that I would be informed for 2L/3L. Obviously I don't have a straw poll of everyone, but I'd rather disclose my information with the necessary word of caution than have people guessing.

Lovely Ludwig Van

Postby Lovely Ludwig Van » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:33 pm

pillowcase33 wrote:Can someone comment on the following line-up of professors?

Fall:
Torts - Lazarus

Spring:
Criminal Law - Meltzer
Property - Benkler

Any dirt on Section 2 profs?

Mista Bojangles

Postby Mista Bojangles » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:50 pm

yeesh. can we please once and for all halt this nonsense about suk being "gorgeous" or for that matter even attractive? i don't understand people's gushing over her.

she has a harmless, matronly kind of look to her, but only when judged among a bunch of other law professors could she possibly be found sexually attractive.

judge for yourself, 0Ls, before you get dem law school goggles:

--ImageRemoved--

Mista Bojangles

Postby Mista Bojangles » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:04 pm

Lovely Ludwig Van wrote:

Fall:
Torts - Lazarus

Spring:
Criminal Law - Meltzer
Property - Benkler

Meltzer was, I suspect, the smartest of all my 1L professors. He kind of just oozes brilliance all over the place but unfortunately doesn't always remember to pick it up and arrange it neatly for you. He's extremely cerebral in his approach to teaching, and that approach probably is a good thing in a course that can at times treat really incendiary subject matter. Also, be prepared for some really bizarre and fucked up murder/rape scenarios. The man has quite an imagination.

Davies was a fan favorite in the section. She's very witty, very feisty, and has a thing for engaging in some playful thrust-and-parry with coldcalled students who are up for it (but she isn't mean-spirited and doesn't go out of her way to humiliate unprepared students unlike some other profs). I kind of second what was said earlier about her lectures being somewhat lighter on substance, because she spends so much time drawing amusing analogies and giving us anecdotes from her time on the hill. In all, one of my more entertaining 1L classes.

I've had only those two, but I'd say each of them is a good roll of the dice to end up with (though in v different ways).

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:27 pm

Law school goggles are very real.

pillowcase33

Postby pillowcase33 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:38 pm

Mista Bojangles wrote:
Lovely Ludwig Van wrote:

Fall:
Torts - Lazarus

Spring:
Criminal Law - Meltzer
Property - Benkler

Meltzer was, I suspect, the smartest of all my 1L professors. He kind of just oozes brilliance all over the place but unfortunately doesn't always remember to pick it up and arrange it neatly for you. He's extremely cerebral in his approach to teaching, and that approach probably is a good thing in a course that can at times treat really incendiary subject matter. Also, be prepared for some really bizarre and fucked up murder/rape scenarios. The man has quite an imagination.

Davies was a fan favorite in the section. She's very witty, very feisty, and has a thing for engaging in some playful thrust-and-parry with coldcalled students who are up for it (but she isn't mean-spirited and doesn't go out of her way to humiliate unprepared students unlike some other profs). I kind of second what was said earlier about her lectures being somewhat lighter on substance, because she spends so much time drawing amusing analogies and giving us anecdotes from her time on the hill. In all, one of my more entertaining 1L classes.

I've had only those two, but I'd say each of them is a good roll of the dice to end up with (though in v different ways).

Thank you for the information! It's greatly appreciated.
Does anyone have any former experience with these professors?

cayennepepper

Postby cayennepepper » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:40 pm

Thank you for the insights - very much appreciated!

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:17 am

Lovely Ludwig Van wrote:

Fall:
Torts - Lazarus

Spring:
Criminal Law - Meltzer
Property - Benkler

Greiner and Lazarus are both quality. Greiner's Civ Pro will be difficult, and his previous tests have been brutal, but he's a great teacher and one of the nicest professors I have ever met. Lazarus is one of the most well known and well respected environmental litigators in the country. No idea on Randall Kennedy and Benkler as professors, but Benkler's scholarship is really, really good. All the sentiments I've heard about Meltzer and Davies echo what Bojangles said.

roranoa

Postby roranoa » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:53 am

Have you met anyone yet and thought 'Wow, that guy (or girl) is going to be President (of the United States) someday!'

Or a potential senator maybe?

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:18 am

roranoa wrote:Have you met anyone yet and thought 'Wow, that guy (or girl) is going to be President (of the United States) someday!'

"True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high law school class is running the country."-Kurt Vonnegut

FTFYourQuestion

They keep repeating to us that we're going to go on to do great things, and while I certainly have respect for a lot of my peers, they still feel like peers. Sure, if I think about it, I could fathom most of them handling great responsibility, but it feels weird to think about people that you relate to on a more personal level in that way.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:07 pm

roranoa wrote:Have you met anyone yet and thought 'Wow, that guy (or girl) is going to be President (of the United States) someday!'

I've definitely met a couple of people who I'm pretty sure are going to be running things some years down the line.

This may be weird, but after being here for a few months, I watched Obama talk, and I felt like I noticed how HLS he is. There are indescribable things about how he speaks and how he presents himself that makes him seem a little bit like the people in class with me.

lawschoolboundfuture

Postby lawschoolboundfuture » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:28 pm

Opinions on section 1 professors?

Cohen, Civ. Pro
Gelpern, Contracts
Singer, Property
Torts, Sargentich
LRW, Stoughton

tachikara

Postby tachikara » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:09 pm

--
Last edited by tachikara on Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lovely Ludwig Van

Postby Lovely Ludwig Van » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:59 pm

Kinda late to ask this, but are lockers recommended for people living in North?

Thanks to everybody who's answered questions!

pillowcase33

Postby pillowcase33 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:31 pm

Lovely Ludwig Van wrote:Kinda late to ask this, but are lockers recommended for people living in North?

Thanks to everybody who's answered questions!

I may be wrong, but I had the impression that people who lived in dorms couldn't sign up for lockers.

pillowcase33

Postby pillowcase33 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:31 pm

lawschoolboundfuture wrote:Opinions on section 1 professors?

Cohen, Civ. Pro
Gelpern, Contracts
Singer, Property
Torts, Sargentich
LRW, Stoughton

There were a couple of people up above who provided some helpful descriptions of the professors you have.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”