Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
lakers24fan

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby lakers24fan » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:21 pm

For 1L (specifically fall semester), how often will we need to dress formally or "extra" formally (like a suit and tie sort of thing)? On a related note, how many slacks/collared shirts do we need (for guys obviously)? I know it'll depend on how many events one chooses to attend, but is there a general amount?

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:20 pm

lakers24fan wrote:For 1L (specifically fall semester), how often will we need to dress formally or "extra" formally (like a suit and tie sort of thing)? On a related note, how many slacks/collared shirts do we need (for guys obviously)? I know it'll depend on how many events one chooses to attend, but is there a general amount?

There are some firm events or other similar events. Maybe 4-5 times fall semester if you attend these things? You should probably roll into 1L with a suit and a few pairs of slacks/dress shirts. No need to get an entire wardrobe though.

Stinson

Postby Stinson » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:55 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
lakers24fan wrote:For 1L (specifically fall semester), how often will we need to dress formally or "extra" formally (like a suit and tie sort of thing)? On a related note, how many slacks/collared shirts do we need (for guys obviously)? I know it'll depend on how many events one chooses to attend, but is there a general amount?

There are some firm events or other similar events. Maybe 4-5 times fall semester if you attend these things? You should probably roll into 1L with a suit and a few pairs of slacks/dress shirts. No need to get an entire wardrobe though.

Shockingly poor information. You are going to America's, nay, the world's pre-eminent institution of legal learning. Expect to be judged by your peers on your wardrobe, and to judge them in return, if you have an ounce of self respect. I remember my first 1L class with Professor Suk - always on Boston's best dressed list - and how some ignorant she-cow wore clashing prints the first day. "Get the hell out of my class," without batting an eye. Get the hell out indeed.

:D Jk. There should actually be a tumblr of how scruffy Harvard 1L's look by fall exams. The beards, the pajama bottoms, the dirty Penn sweatshirts people, mere weeks before, had promised themselves they wouldn't wear out of the house. All in good fun though. And wait til winter term, not a single fuck given there, let me assure you. To your question, one suit should do fine; many of the firm things are biz cas and so a suit and a couple of decent shirts and pants will do the job.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:16 pm

I still remember all of the people who mocked the dude that wore a suit to orientation.

I mean...wear a suit for orientation.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:04 am

To answer this question for the ladies, have a suit ready to go for job purposes, some nice things you could wear to receptions (think Ann Taylor's nicer stuff), and stuff you'd wear to law school formals in case you feel like going. You probably won't really need these more than once or twice fall semester, and some people tend to gain weight so I would keep that in mind.

Searchparty

Postby Searchparty » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:41 am

acrossthelake wrote:

To answer this question for the ladies, have a suit ready to go for job purposes, some nice things you could wear to receptions (think Ann Taylor's nicer stuff), and stuff you'd wear to law school formals in case you feel like going. You probably won't really need these more than once or twice fall semester, and some people tend to gain weight so I would keep that in mind.

I'm sure that last statement sent fear through many0L female minds

Searchparty

Postby Searchparty » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:47 am

I'm sure a form of this question has been asked once every 6.5 pages of this thread - however...

For 1L classes..what are your opinions regarding the necessity of books. This is with the assumption that if I didn't own the book and had trouble with certain material of a certain subject, I would be going out of my way to find supplemental written material and/or understanding of the subject

I understand the following:

this varies by professor
this varies by people's preferences towards books/lectures/learning styles
this varies by your aptitude toward the subject
this varies by the type of exam you might be having

If you could do 1L over again... for which classes/professor would you have chosen NOT to purchase the book for and why?

In what scenarios, that my puny mind cannot fathom, would a book be beneficial?

FOLLOW UP:

For buying books... easy to find online? Cheapest method? Older editions?

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:44 pm

Random questions:

1. Do any of the tax professors teach any of the broader philosophical and/or policy questions in Taxation, or are all of the sections simply lectures about the current structure of the federal tax code?

2. Do any of the tax professors let their students write a paper in lieu of the exam?

Feel free to PM me if anyone has info on either and doesn't want to broadcast it.

despina

Postby despina » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:55 pm

Searchparty wrote:For 1L classes..what are your opinions regarding the necessity of books.

What? Buy all your required 1L books. You will need all of them. Just double-check with the syllabus -- sometimes a prof will list a suggested / recommended supplement but not require it. Those may turn up on the bookstore's list, but it's your call -- I wait on those, then see whether similar-thinking friends are using the supplement and finding it helpful. If so I might buy them during the semester or for exam prep.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:03 pm

Searchparty wrote:I'm sure a form of this question has been asked once every 6.5 pages of this thread - however...

For 1L classes..what are your opinions regarding the necessity of books. This is with the assumption that if I didn't own the book and had trouble with certain material of a certain subject, I would be going out of my way to find supplemental written material and/or understanding of the subject

I understand the following:

this varies by professor
this varies by people's preferences towards books/lectures/learning styles
this varies by your aptitude toward the subject
this varies by the type of exam you might be having

If you could do 1L over again... for which classes/professor would you have chosen NOT to purchase the book for and why?

In what scenarios, that my puny mind cannot fathom, would a book be beneficial?

FOLLOW UP:

For buying books... easy to find online? Cheapest method? Older editions?

As a 2L who didn't buy most of my books 2L year, I highly recommend you buy all your books for 1L year. 2L is the time for experimenting with whether you can swing an H without buying the book or showing up, not 1L.

Buy them online.

pupshaw

Postby pupshaw » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:05 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:Random questions:

1. Do any of the tax professors teach any of the broader philosophical and/or policy questions in Taxation, or are all of the sections simply lectures about the current structure of the federal tax code?

2. Do any of the tax professors let their students write a paper in lieu of the exam?

Feel free to PM me if anyone has info on either and doesn't want to broadcast it.

Also interested in this.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:11 pm

Sections are out? Who has had Singer for property?

lawschoolboundfuture

Postby lawschoolboundfuture » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:30 pm

I have singer for property too. I'm in section 1. How do we find out our schedule

MyNameIsFlynn!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:05 pm

lawschoolboundfuture wrote:I have singer for property too. I'm in section 1. How do we find out our schedule

Don't think schedules are out yet. If they are, can't find on website. :?

Eta scooped by Helios
Last edited by MyNameIsFlynn! on Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawschoolboundfuture

Postby lawschoolboundfuture » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:14 pm

Nvm they sent another email

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:22 pm

Cohen, Civ. Pro
Gelpern, Contracts
Singer, Property
Torts, Sargentich
LRW, Stoughton

Anybody? Also this is section 1 for those who care.

cayennepepper

Postby cayennepepper » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:05 pm

Any thoughts/insights on the following (good professors, work load etc.)? Thanks in advance!

Section 6:

Fall

Klerman - CivPro
Lanni - Crim
Freeman - LegReg
Hanson - Torts
MacMahon - LRW

Spring

Smith - Property
Fried - Contracts
Last edited by cayennepepper on Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

polareagle

Postby polareagle » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:16 pm

Last edited by polareagle on Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

kcam1991

Postby kcam1991 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:39 pm

Fall
Civil Procedure 3 (Desan)
Contracts 3 (Abrams)
First Year Legal Research and Writing 3B (Goldberg)
Property 3 (Mann)
Torts 3 (Roin)

Spring
Criminal Law 3 (Steiker)
Legislation and Regulation 3 (Barron)

Hints, tips, and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Section 3 btw

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:56 pm

Note: I haven't personally had all of these profs. My comments are an amalgamation of class, second hand from friends, and talking with the professors in office hours.

wert3813 wrote:Cohen, Civ. Pro
Gelpern, Contracts
Singer, Property
Torts, Sargentich
LRW, Stoughton

LOL. Good fucking luck with this section.

Singer makes you memorize everything. Don't skip the footnotes. Seriously.

And Cohen is a nice, if demanding and very odd, fellow.

kcam1991 wrote:Fall
Civil Procedure 3 (Desan)
Contracts 3 (Abrams)
First Year Legal Research and Writing 3B (Goldberg)
Property 3 (Mann)
Torts 3 (Roin)

Spring
Criminal Law 3 (Steiker)
Legislation and Regulation 3 (Barron)

Hints, tips, and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Section 3 btw

That fall is pretty boring, but that is a kick ass spring lineup. Mann and Suk can seem very imposing in class, but they're nice outside of class.

cayennepepper wrote:Any thoughts/insights on the following (good professors, work load etc.)? Thanks in advance!

Section 6:

Fall

Klerman - CivPro
Lanni - Crim
Freeman - LegReg
Hanson - Torts
MacMahon - LRW

Spring

Smith - Property
Fried - Contracts

This is the best section lineup of the ones posted thus far. Freeman is great, and she'll bring a bunch of practical experience into LegReg. Fried knows everything. For those of a philosophical bent, his Contracts class will be very interesting, but he's not too out there. I have no idea how he is as a professor, but don't sleep on Klerman just because he's visiting. His scholarship is top notch.

bosmer88

Postby bosmer88 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:15 pm

Could you give thoughts/opinions/anything on Section 7's schedule?

Fall
Civil Procedure 7 (Goldsmith)
Contracts 7 (Rakoff)
Legislation and Regulation 7 (Tushnet)
Property 7 (Glendon)
First Year Legal Research and Writing 7B (Ortman)

Spring
Torts 7 (Huang)
Criminal Law 7 (Gertner)

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:40 pm

Last edited by Blessedassurance on Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:45 pm

cerealdan wrote:

Also interested in this.

I don't actually know anything first-hand about this, but second-hand, Alvin Warren is reputed to be the best Tax prof at the school for more or less this exact reason. (EDIT: By which I mean #1, policy issues, by the way.)

Doorkeeper wrote:
cayennepepper wrote:Any thoughts/insights on the following (good professors, work load etc.)? Thanks in advance!

Section 6:

Fall

Klerman - CivPro
Lanni - Crim
Freeman - LegReg
Hanson - Torts
MacMahon - LRW

Spring

Smith - Property
Fried - Contracts

This is the best section lineup of the ones posted thus far. Freeman is great, and she'll bring a bunch of practical experience into LegReg. Fried knows everything. For those of a philosophical bent, his Contracts class will be very interesting, but he's not too out there. I have no idea how he is as a professor, but don't sleep on Klerman just because he's visiting. His scholarship is top notch.

Just seconding that this is a pretty kickass lineup. Freeman is an environmental lawyer that everybody who likes environmental law loves. Lanni does Ancient Greek law, among other things, but I don't think any of us successfully got her to talk about it in Crim class. As a prof, she's remarkably clear and straightforward. Hanson is deep into "law and mind sciences," so expect not a lot of black-letter stuff and more about left-leaning psychological interpretations of the law. Fried has a tremendously interesting biography; I have no idea what he's like as a prof, but if he's half as interesting to listen to as he is to hear about, he's got to be pretty good.

The four people I mentioned should have really good outlines available in the usual places, too, which may be handy. I know my Lanni outline is out in the ether somewhere.
Last edited by tomwatts on Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:25 pm

bosmer88 wrote:Could you give thoughts/opinions/anything on Section 7's schedule?

Fall
Civil Procedure 7 (Goldsmith)
Contracts 7 (Rakoff)
Legislation and Regulation 7 (Tushnet)
Property 7 (Glendon)

Spring
Torts 7 (Huang)
Criminal Law 7 (Gertner)

Oh fuck. I think this is an even better line up than the other section. Every professor here is quality, minus Gertner who is horrible. Be prepared to teach yourself Criminal law. Tushnet teaches a much more theoretical LegReg than the other profs and students are very divided on him. Don't spurn him just because his LegReg is difficult and weird. Rakoff is great.

Also, Bert Huang is a motherfucking badass. He's visiting from Columbia, but I bet Harvard is going to give him an offer.

tomwatts wrote:

I don't actually know anything first-hand about this, but second-hand, Alvin Warren is reputed to be the best Tax prof at the school for more or less this exact reason.

Damn. I was afraid of this. There's no way in hell that I'm going to wake up for an 8am class. Thanks for the info.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:13 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:Note: I haven't personally had all of these profs. My comments are an amalgamation of class, second hand from friends, and talking with the professors in office hours.

wert3813 wrote:Cohen, Civ. Pro
Gelpern, Contracts
Singer, Property
Torts, Sargentich
LRW, Stoughton

LOL. Good fucking luck with this section.

Singer makes you memorize everything. Don't skip the footnotes. Seriously.

And Cohen is a nice, if demanding and very odd, fellow.

Great. Anybody wanna strongly dispute this so I can sleep at night? Gelpern is visiting from DC American now Georgetown.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”