Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
fumagalli

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby fumagalli » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:03 am

Do you know anyone who had "bad softs" or "weak softs" when they got admitted? Did you meet anyone that made you think 'Wow, this guy must have gotten a 180 on his lsat or something' because that person had such a boring background. No leadership role, no volunteering of any sort, things like that.

fingerscrossedxx

Postby fingerscrossedxx » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:05 am

fumagalli wrote:Do you know anyone who had "bad softs" or "weak softs" when they got admitted? Did you meet anyone that made you think 'Wow, this guy must have gotten a 180 on his lsat or something' because that person had such a boring background. No leadership role, no volunteering of any sort, things like that.

I think the closest thing to this, I can think of two people I know who don't seem to have any leadership or volunteering or involvement things, but they both had very succesful careers before coming to HLS so I think that counted as a pretty major soft. So in short, not the people I've met, but im sure they must be some. We also dont spend a lot of time talking about what activities we were involved in in undergrad though.

hlsperson1111

Postby hlsperson1111 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:57 pm

There are tons - veritable tons - of people at HLS with weak softs, and who got in simply by having 3.9+/175+ and not being sociopaths.

Searchparty

Postby Searchparty » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:29 pm

fumagalli wrote:Do you know anyone who had "bad softs" or "weak softs" when they got admitted? Did you meet anyone that made you think 'Wow, this guy must have gotten a 180 on his lsat or something' because that person had such a boring background. No leadership role, no volunteering of any sort, things like that.

K->JD, weak softs, as in the only extra currics I did was TA for a business law class.. and then I worked during undergrad, which was somehow impressive. I really think my strongest "soft" was my PS lol

Mista Bojangles

Postby Mista Bojangles » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:39 pm

Yeah we don't believe in softs here, if you have any then kindly GTFO and take them to YS or Berkeley (I was straight denied at all of those)

(but seriously, +1 to hlsperson's post above)

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:55 pm

hlsperson1111 wrote:There are tons - veritable tons - of people at HLS with weak softs, and who got in simply by having 3.9+/175+ and not being sociopaths.

Whoa there. Lets not get ahead of ourselves here.

fumagalli

Postby fumagalli » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:14 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
hlsperson1111 wrote:There are tons - veritable tons - of people at HLS with weak softs, and who got in simply by having 3.9+/175+ and not being sociopaths.

Why? What do you mean?

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:32 pm

fumagalli wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:

Why? What do you mean?

I mean that there are some people at HLS that I legitimately question whether they feel emotions and/or have the capacity to understand empathy.

Then again, this is law school...

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:09 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:

Seriously. I'm pretty damn sure that wasn't a criteria for admissions at all. It would disqualify a large chunk of the legal profession entirely.

domino

Postby domino » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:41 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
fumagalli wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:

Why? What do you mean?

I mean that there are some people at HLS that I legitimately question whether they feel emotions and/or have the capacity to understand empathy.

Then again, this is law school...

You guys are getting a Climenko Fellow this year who is one of the few people I have suspected of actually being a sociopath

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:05 pm

Edit - Got a spot :)
Last edited by Eichörnchen on Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

kcam1991

Postby kcam1991 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:42 am

1. Are 1Ls required to take winter term classes?
2. What fall classes will 1Ls take? Is is standard?

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:50 am

kcam1991 wrote:1. Are 1Ls required to take winter term classes?

1. Yes, there is a mandatory "Problem Solving Workshop" class for 1Ls. It's Pass/Fail, and it's a joke.

2. Typically: Torts, Contracts, Legislation and Regulation, and Civil Procedure. One or two sections might have a slightly different schedule where they take Criminal Law or Property in the fall instead of one of those classes.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:34 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
kcam1991 wrote:1. Are 1Ls required to take winter term classes?

1. Yes, there is a mandatory "Problem Solving Workshop" class for 1Ls. It's Pass/Fail, and it's a joke.

2. Typically: Torts, Contracts, Legislation and Regulation, and Civil Procedure. One or two sections might have a slightly different schedule where they take Criminal Law or Property in the fall instead of one of those classes.

CivPro is always first semester. You get 3 out of 4 of Crim, Property, Contracts, and RegLeg in the fall.

hlsperson1111

Postby hlsperson1111 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:15 pm

FWIW, I am not sure if every section now has Torts in the fall as well. I know that some sections my 1L year had it in the spring, but I was pretty sure they had switched to scheduling it in the fall for every section in addition to CivPro.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:26 pm

hlsperson1111 wrote:FWIW, I am not sure if every section now has Torts in the fall as well. I know that some sections my 1L year had it in the spring, but I was pretty sure they had switched to scheduling it in the fall for every section in addition to CivPro.

I think it's a good idea to schedule Torts in the Fall since it's def. the easiest course.

Mista Bojangles

Postby Mista Bojangles » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:24 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
hlsperson1111 wrote:FWIW, I am not sure if every section now has Torts in the fall as well. I know that some sections my 1L year had it in the spring, but I was pretty sure they had switched to scheduling it in the fall for every section in addition to CivPro.

I think it's a good idea to schedule Torts in the Fall since it's def. the easiest course.

Really? Seems to me like a stretch and kind of misleading to just state that objectively. I thought Torts was my hardest fall semester class personally. I'm sure it depends a bunch on your prof and your own individual ability to match w/ his style.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:59 pm

Mista Bojangles wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:

Really? Seems to me like a stretch and kind of misleading to just state that objectively. I thought Torts was my hardest fall semester class personally. I'm sure it depends a bunch on your prof and your own individual ability to match w/ his style.

Oh, unless you have certain profs who I have in mind. There are some profs who obfuscate and can make any class difficult.

I meant in isolation from teaching style in terms of difficulty of learning it, like if you were just to teach it to yourself from an outline or a hornbook. Not in terms of ease of getting a good grade or doing well on the exam.

roranoa

Postby roranoa » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:00 am

Acrossthelake, I've been meaning to ask this for a long time, is your profile pic your actual photo?? And what's the general quality of HLS ladies?(appearance-wise)

*Edited for spelling and extra question.
Last edited by roranoa on Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:27 am

roranoa wrote:Acrossthelake, I've been meaning to ask this for a long time, is your profile pic your actual photo?? And what's the general quality of HLS ladies?(appearance-wise)

lolololololololololol.

Mista Bojangles

Postby Mista Bojangles » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:44 am

Doorkeeper wrote:
roranoa wrote:Acrossthelake, I've been meaning to ask this for a long time, is your profile pic your actual photo?? And what's the general quality of HLS ladies?(appearance-wise)

lolololololololololol.

the bolded makes this even more priceless

(although, with some degree of seriousness, there seems to be a consensus among people i know that HLS women > HLS men generally. and certainly at least within my section that was a certifiable fact)

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:32 pm

No, that's Kristin Kreuk. There is a girl at HLS who looks a fair bit like her. I've had a couple friends at HLS who figured out who I was tell me that the profile picture helped give me away, but I wouldn't say I look too much like her.

There are a lot of girls who I think are attractive at HLS.

Postby 06162014123 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:54 pm

Last edited by 06162014123 on Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

scifiguy

Postby scifiguy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:35 pm

Do any students here collect stuffed animals?

Would it be weird to have a stuffed animal social group/club in law school?

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:38 pm

scifiguy wrote:Do any students here collect stuffed animals?

Would it be weird to have a stuffed animal social group/club in law school?

I miss this... please start making threads again.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”