Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
The Gentleman

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby The Gentleman » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:32 pm

annyong wrote:I've been thinking about going with on-campus housing for the first year for cost and convenience sake, I know there's a lottery involved, can anyone speak to an incoming 1Ls chances of getting what they want? Any other insight on housing in general would also be great, I'm not 100% set on Cambridge but I'd say it's about at 90 :P

Current 1L living in Gropius, and I've been extremely happy with my housing choice thus far. The convenience factor is great. Time is of the essence in your first year, so being able to roll out of bed and head straight to class without a long commute has been awesome. It's also nice to have a home-base throughout the day where you can head to relax, switch your books, or eat a quiet lunch.

The atmosphere in Gropius is pretty chill too. I was expecting a really social, party-it-up vibe, but that hasn't been the case at all. It's usually quiet, but you can always swing by a friend's room to chat or whatever. Overall it's been a nice balance.

And the cost is unbeatable. Not only is the rent dirt cheap for Cambridge, (I think it comes down to a little less than $700 per month with utilities included) but you're only on the hook for nine months. So there's no need to worry about subleasing if you work elsewhere in the summer.

The downside is that you're in a fairly ugly and small dorm room. If aesthetics are important, or if you absolutely need your own private bathroom, then find something else. Personally, it took me a little while to adjust to this because I had been living in my own apartment for the past several years. But once you get used to this stuff, it's really no big deal.

As far as the lottery, I don't think you'll have any problem getting a spot in Gropius, if that's what you're looking for. I can't really speak for Hastings or North, although I know they're a bit more in demand.

Good luck with the choice and congrats on HLS! It's an awesome place! (Even during finals lol.)

kulshan

Postby kulshan » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:44 pm

Any current students know how the on campus dining situation is for vegans?

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:27 pm

ignatiusr wrote:I have a question about parking- from the comments I've read, current students appear to be very adamant that bringing a car to Cambridge is not advisable. My sister and several friends live 100 miles from Cambridge, and I had planned on visiting them as often as time would allow during the school year. I've researched public transportation options, and it looks like I'd have to take the subway to a bus depot, then make a connection in another city, and finally arrive at my destination around 4 hours after I began. This would obviously be costlier and more time-consuming than driving my own car.

When people warn against bringing your car, is this primarily because it is a) difficult to acquire a street permit and b) annoying to move your car during street cleanings? Or are there other reasons I'm missing? I should also mention that I'd be happy to use a parking space that was a 20-30 min walk from campus.

I live in Cambridge and I was on the fence about bringing my car. I'm so glad I decided to bring it. It was easy to switch over and get a street permit. and if you set the street cleaning days in your phone it is very easy to remember to move it. As a 1L I think time is the most precious commodity you have. I love being able to drive to Boston or to my barber (which is a 25-35 min bus ride away). Also I can go to Target and Market Basket which is a lot cheaper for groceries than Shaws. I think the only downside is that people always ask you to take them some place. But I don't mind as long as I have the time. Oh and the Drivers in the Northeast are terrible. I've seen more crazy things in the last 6 months here than I've seen in 5yrs driving in Chicago.

A word of advice: If you have a nice car. invest in a bumper buddy (or whatever they are called). I have been hit 2-3 times by cars trying to get out of parking spots and had like 4 marks/scratches on my bumper that cost quite a bit of money to get out. I have one of the bumper protectors now and it saves me from having to worry about it.

sarahh

Postby sarahh » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:19 pm

kulshan wrote:Any current students know how the on campus dining situation is for vegans?

There is a salad bar and there are usually a few other options.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:20 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
ignatiusr wrote:I have a question about parking- from the comments I've read, current students appear to be very adamant that bringing a car to Cambridge is not advisable. My sister and several friends live 100 miles from Cambridge, and I had planned on visiting them as often as time would allow during the school year. I've researched public transportation options, and it looks like I'd have to take the subway to a bus depot, then make a connection in another city, and finally arrive at my destination around 4 hours after I began. This would obviously be costlier and more time-consuming than driving my own car.

When people warn against bringing your car, is this primarily because it is a) difficult to acquire a street permit and b) annoying to move your car during street cleanings? Or are there other reasons I'm missing? I should also mention that I'd be happy to use a parking space that was a 20-30 min walk from campus.

I live in Cambridge and I was on the fence about bringing my car. I'm so glad I decided to bring it. It was easy to switch over and get a street permit. and if you set the street cleaning days in your phone it is very easy to remember to move it. As a 1L I think time is the most precious commodity you have. I love being able to drive to Boston or to my barber (which is a 25-35 min bus ride away). Also I can go to Target and Market Basket which is a lot cheaper for groceries than Shaws. I think the only downside is that people always ask you to take them some place. But I don't mind as long as I have the time. Oh and the Drivers in the Northeast are terrible. I've seen more crazy things in the last 6 months here than I've seen in 5yrs driving in Chicago.

A word of advice: If you have a nice car. invest in a bumper buddy (or whatever they are called). I have been hit 2-3 times by cars trying to get out of parking spots and had like 4 marks/scratches on my bumper that cost quite a bit of money to get out. I have one of the bumper protectors now and it saves me from having to worry about it.

I would also advise investing in a GPS if you don't have one already. It can be terrible if you get Boston-ed without one.

thestillpoint

Postby thestillpoint » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:38 am

This is a somewhat random question, but I was wondering how pet-friendly different living options were around Harvard (a bit early as I've only had my KB1, but this is something I'm considering for all schools). I'm fairly certain the dorms don't allow pets, but I wasn't sure about whether the Harvard-owned apartments near the law school did. I'm thinking off-campus housing would be the best option, does anyone know whether people living off-campus (and still conveniently near the school) have found places that allow larger dogs (40+ lbs)?

delusional

Postby delusional » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:47 am

thestillpoint wrote:This is a somewhat random question, but I was wondering how pet-friendly different living options were around Harvard (a bit early as I've only had my KB1, but this is something I'm considering for all schools). I'm fairly certain the dorms don't allow pets, but I wasn't sure about whether the Harvard-owned apartments near the law school did. I'm thinking off-campus housing would be the best option, does anyone know whether people living off-campus (and still conveniently near the school) have found places that allow larger dogs (40+ lbs)?

I don't know much, but I'll answer and then hopefully someone will chime in later with more accuracy. I know some people that had dog-related trouble finding an apartment. But there seem to be a lot of dogs around, so there must be some availability.

splbagel

Postby splbagel » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:07 pm

Some of the Harvard grad student housing options allow a single cat or small dog - I was just looking into this yesterday.

--LinkRemoved--

Dogs/Cats: Currently certain apartments at Botanic Gardens and Holden Green are designated as pet-friendly. Effective May 1, 2011, certain apartments at 59 Banks Street, 23-25 Flagg Street, 2 Grant Street, 17 Grant Street, Holden Green, 8A Mount Auburn Street, 21 Robinson Street, 5A Sacramento Street, Shaler Lane, Soldiers Field Park, 17 Ware Street, and 381 Western Avenue will also be designated as pet-friendly. There is a limit of one cat or one dog, not to exceed 40 pounds when full grown (breed restrictions apply).

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:09 pm

kulshan wrote:Any current students know how the on campus dining situation is for vegans?

tofu?

why vegans? thats pretty unhealthy imho.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:47 pm

I don't know much about how campus dining works for vegans since I don't really eat in the dining halls, but there are a lot of vegans in my section...I think they tend to go to the grocery store, but I'm not sure.

kulshan

Postby kulshan » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:27 pm

thederangedwang wrote:

tofu?

why vegans? thats pretty unhealthy imho.

A vegan diet done correctly is quite healthy and delicious. Even if it weren't, I'm a vegan for moral reasons, which would trump minimal dietary deficiency.

It's good to hear there are other vegans floating around, that suggests it's possible anyway. I've found several veg*n restaurants around Cambridge, so I suspect it will be fine.

splbagel

Postby splbagel » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:32 pm

I went to a super yummy Indian restaurant within walking distance of campus a few years ago. Can't remember for the life of me what it was called, but there were tons of veggie and vegan options, and prices were reasonable.

ladybug89

Postby ladybug89 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:59 pm

What's the time commitment for law review? Is it possible to do lr and a clinic, or do you basically have to pick? (i'm not assuming i'll make law review of course, just curious how extracurriculars shake out.)

concurrent fork

Postby concurrent fork » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:53 pm

It's not that hard to have a car, or at least not much harder than other major cities. I was in a similar situation and found it to be a great investment.

That said, a few things to be aware of:

1. If you want to keep your out of state plates, you need to rent a parking space. There are plenty of spots 5-10 min walk from campus that run about $150/month. I did this last year and it was pretty convenient, especially in the winter. If you look hard enough (and a bit further from campus) you can also find some reasonable apartments that include parking spots.
2. As someone mentioned above, it's easy to convert your registration and get street parking. You just have to be aware of monthly street cleaning and snow emergencies, as you will get towed (over $100 to get your car back).
3. Massholes are downright dangerous drivers. Red lights are more of a suggestion and marked lanes might as well not exist in many areas. You just learn to be very defensive.

concurrent fork

Postby concurrent fork » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:14 pm

thestillpoint wrote:This is a somewhat random question, but I was wondering how pet-friendly different living options were around Harvard (a bit early as I've only had my KB1, but this is something I'm considering for all schools). I'm fairly certain the dorms don't allow pets, but I wasn't sure about whether the Harvard-owned apartments near the law school did. I'm thinking off-campus housing would be the best option, does anyone know whether people living off-campus (and still conveniently near the school) have found places that allow larger dogs (40+ lbs)?

It can be tough. We looked for dog-friendly apartments last year because we wanted to adopt. There are plenty of buildings that allow dogs, the problem is finding a landlord that allows them in the unit (it's very much a landlord's market). Cat-friendly is more common. They are out there, but the inventory we looked at tended to be more run-down and overpriced. We gave up and settled on a pet-free unit.

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:27 am

This is a question for those on Harvard Law Review...what does the test to get on actually entail? From what I have been able to find out, its part bluebook, and part case analysis...can somebody share additional light on this?

Also, do you think it would be helpful to learn the bluebook earlier? I'm only taking 3 hrs next semester, so I have a ton of time to waste...if I bought a bluebook now and tried to read through it by myself, would I

1) be able to understand it

2) would it actually help me and give me a leg up?

or would it just confuse the shit outa me and end up being detrimental?

Thanks

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:30 am

thederangedwang wrote:This is a question for those on Harvard Law Review...what does the test to get on actually entail? From what I have been able to find out, its part bluebook, and part case analysis...can somebody share additional light on this?

Also, do you think it would be helpful to learn the bluebook earlier? I'm only taking 3 hrs next semester, so I have a ton of time to waste...if I bought a bluebook now and tried to read through it by myself, would I

Thanks

Man you are getting WAY ahead of yourself here. Don't worry about it. But since that's a really unsatisfactory answer, I'll just say relax, no need to start learning the bluebook early. You really learn it by using it too. Maybe if you want to skim it over once right before your LRW class starts, but I would not stress about the bluebook. Others may disagree.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:37 am

thederangedwang wrote:This is a question for those on Harvard Law Review...what does the test to get on actually entail? From what I have been able to find out, its part bluebook, and part case analysis...can somebody share additional light on this?

Thanks

Lol it is way too early to be thinking about law review as an 0L. Bluebooking is part of the competition, but I really doubt it makes/breaks anyone's application since it's more the quality of your writing and the analysis and bluebooking isn't difficult, just annoying. If you want to gun law school, get your resumes, cover letters, and diversity essays ready to go before school starts. The rest you should just wait till it comes time to learn it.

spek

Postby spek » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:05 pm

Last edited by spek on Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:08 pm

. wrote:Not quoted per request.

Probably not, and you don't. Although if you get a better need based award (most likely going to be coming only from SLS or YLS), then you can try and negotiate.

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:24 pm

I remember reading something along the lines of "we will only consider adjusting your financial aid package if another school offers you more need based $$$."

thestillpoint

Postby thestillpoint » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:44 pm

In terms of quality of life, I was wondering about access to the outdoors from Cambridge / anywhere near the law school. I really enjoy hiking / skiing / running, and so I'm hopeful that there is some nature accessible (without a car) from HLS. Not sure if there's even time for this during 1L, but does anyone know what options there might be? Thanks :)

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:08 pm

thestillpoint wrote:In terms of quality of life, I was wondering about access to the outdoors from Cambridge / anywhere near the law school. I really enjoy hiking / skiing / running, and so I'm hopeful that there is some nature accessible (without a car) from HLS. Not sure if there's even time for this during 1L, but does anyone know what options there might be? Thanks :)

Access to skiing without a car? Um, I mean it's not like Massachusetts really has anywhere to ski, so I'd say low. Running, plenty of people go running along the Charles. Dunno about hiking since I don't really like to. It's really cold, so not sure how much that matters to you...and I wouldn't say there's a lot of time in 1L for skiing if you're trying to take something transit out there.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:12 pm

HLS only awards need-based aid, and has a cap on the amount they will provide per student per year. Otherwise, what HLS offers are loans, a generous loan forgiveness program, and the confidence that your degree will find you a job.

Basically, your merit aid is "congrats, you'll get an HLS degree if you come here".

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:15 pm

hey guys, what's the most effective way to take notes in class in you guys opinion?

paper n pen?

netbook/laptop?

dont take notes?

and how laptop friendly are harvards professors and facilities?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”