Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby acrossthelake » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:14 pm

gertie wrote:What types of things will we be doing during Orientation? My boyfriend is coming to help me move and I'm wondering if we will be doing student only events August 30-September 2nd or if it will be more of a free weekend.

It seems like the official orientation starts Sept 2nd so I assume that is when most of the scheduled events begin. How much happens during move-in weekend?


A hurricane happened, cancelling most of orientation for my class. There was some paperwork, some ceremonial stuff, and some social events (on the theoretical).

qwertyy
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:48 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby qwertyy » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:05 pm

Recent transfer admit here - any transfer students willing to talk about their experience so far?

gertie
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:36 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby gertie » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:46 am

Was anything schedule during move-in weekend or was everything scheduled to begin the following Monday?

acrossthelake wrote:
gertie wrote:What types of things will we be doing during Orientation? My boyfriend is coming to help me move and I'm wondering if we will be doing student only events August 30-September 2nd or if it will be more of a free weekend.

It seems like the official orientation starts Sept 2nd so I assume that is when most of the scheduled events begin. How much happens during move-in weekend?


A hurricane happened, cancelling most of orientation for my class. There was some paperwork, some ceremonial stuff, and some social events (on the theoretical).

User avatar
Eichörnchen
Posts: 1119
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Eichörnchen » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:57 am

Hey everyone, I've been wondering about the logistics of parking during my move in. I'm getting a u haul and also have a car. From what I understand, we can get resident parking if I register my car for Massachusetts, pay $25, and show residency with mail etc. However, what do we do for that first night? Do I just have to drive to the DMV and spend my first day there sorting out a pass? I'm assuming there's a better system for this. :|

User avatar
yarsten
Posts: 184
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:28 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby yarsten » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:10 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:Hey everyone, I've been wondering about the logistics of parking during my move in. I'm getting a u haul and also have a car. From what I understand, we can get resident parking if I register my car for Massachusetts, pay $25, and show residency with mail etc. However, what do we do for that first night? Do I just have to drive to the DMV and spend my first day there sorting out a pass? I'm assuming there's a better system for this. :|


would love to know this as well; I'll be driving my car up.

tomwatts
Posts: 1551
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:01 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby tomwatts » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:11 pm

gertie wrote:Was anything schedule during move-in weekend or was everything scheduled to begin the following Monday?

This year, dorm move-in day is August 30. Orientation begins on September 2 (huh, that's Labor Day). So no, nothing is scheduled on Saturday or Sunday of move-in weekend.
Eichörnchen wrote:Hey everyone, I've been wondering about the logistics of parking during my move in. I'm getting a u haul and also have a car. From what I understand, we can get resident parking if I register my car for Massachusetts, pay $25, and show residency with mail etc. However, what do we do for that first night? Do I just have to drive to the DMV and spend my first day there sorting out a pass? I'm assuming there's a better system for this. :|

I haven't actually parked in Cambridge, but I think that if you can find a space, you can park overnight for free without a sticker or anything. (At worst, I think you can park at a meter, which only runs until something like 6 or 7 pm. Check the signs.) You may have to get up early (like, 8 am) to move your car, depending on where you park.

Someone who actually drives in Cambridge might be better equipped to answer this question, though.

User avatar
pupshaw
Posts: 504
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:08 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby pupshaw » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:40 pm

tomwatts wrote:
gertie wrote:Was anything schedule during move-in weekend or was everything scheduled to begin the following Monday?

This year, dorm move-in day is August 30. Orientation begins on September 2 (huh, that's Labor Day). So no, nothing is scheduled on Saturday or Sunday of move-in weekend.
Eichörnchen wrote:Hey everyone, I've been wondering about the logistics of parking during my move in. I'm getting a u haul and also have a car. From what I understand, we can get resident parking if I register my car for Massachusetts, pay $25, and show residency with mail etc. However, what do we do for that first night? Do I just have to drive to the DMV and spend my first day there sorting out a pass? I'm assuming there's a better system for this. :|

I haven't actually parked in Cambridge, but I think that if you can find a space, you can park overnight for free without a sticker or anything. (At worst, I think you can park at a meter, which only runs until something like 6 or 7 pm. Check the signs.) You may have to get up early (like, 8 am) to move your car, depending on where you park.

Someone who actually drives in Cambridge might be better equipped to answer this question, though.


Do you have the necessary proof of residency yet? I can't remember if you can use, e.g., your lease, but actually getting the permit is a pretty quick process at the city office as long as you have the required documents.

User avatar
Searchparty
Posts: 193
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:22 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Searchparty » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:29 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:Hey everyone, I've been wondering about the logistics of parking during my move in. I'm getting a u haul and also have a car. From what I understand, we can get resident parking if I register my car for Massachusetts, pay $25, and show residency with mail etc. However, what do we do for that first night? Do I just have to drive to the DMV and spend my first day there sorting out a pass? I'm assuming there's a better system for this. :|


Moving van:

http://www2.cambridgema.gov/traffic/MovingVanPermit.cfm

hellohi
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:02 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby hellohi » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:58 pm

So this probably sounds really bad, but I definitely dont intend for this to be a trend. I have something I have to go to in California on Saturday September 14th for a wedding and would preferably get there that Friday's afternoon for the rehearsal as I'm in the wedding. Unfortunately thats the first friday of classes, would it be terrible to miss a couple classes that week? Do professors even notice? Should I send them an email before classes starting?

acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:48 pm

hellohi wrote:So this probably sounds really bad, but I definitely dont intend for this to be a trend. I have something I have to go to in California on Saturday September 14th for a wedding and would preferably get there that Friday's afternoon for the rehearsal as I'm in the wedding. Unfortunately thats the first friday of classes, would it be terrible to miss a couple classes that week? Do professors even notice? Should I send them an email before classes starting?


Some professors care and will specify in their syllabus if you have to contact them to let them know.

Otherwise, doesn't matter. First week of classes profs usually go super slow so it should be even easier than normal to catch up.

This is in response not just to your post, but to a sentiment I see throughout this thread:
Law school is not some magical place where suddenly the professors are really great at lecturing and every minute of class is just bursting with crucial information that you couldn't possibly learn elsewhere. Just like in undergrad, there is some value to going to class, but it varies very much depending on whether you're someone who learns from lecture, or you have a good prof, or if it's a prof who really hints at what he wants on exams during class.

I have found the lecturing abilities of law school professors to be pretty bad compared to my undergrad professors and if anything I got screwed over by going to class in one of my classes this past semester (didn't get an LP, but the prof explicitly told the class not to study topic X, and then made X worth 25% of the exam--I would have studied X if I had been smart enough to not go to class that day).

Missing a class here or there (or more, or all) isn't going to doom you to poor grades or performance or to very much at all, except some hours of your life back. So, go the wedding, go to the family reunion, get some hours of much needed rest (because all 1Ls are underslept). It's not going to matter.

User avatar
Eichörnchen
Posts: 1119
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Eichörnchen » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:21 pm

cerealdan wrote:
tomwatts wrote:
gertie wrote:Was anything schedule during move-in weekend or was everything scheduled to begin the following Monday?

This year, dorm move-in day is August 30. Orientation begins on September 2 (huh, that's Labor Day). So no, nothing is scheduled on Saturday or Sunday of move-in weekend.
Eichörnchen wrote:Hey everyone, I've been wondering about the logistics of parking during my move in. I'm getting a u haul and also have a car. From what I understand, we can get resident parking if I register my car for Massachusetts, pay $25, and show residency with mail etc. However, what do we do for that first night? Do I just have to drive to the DMV and spend my first day there sorting out a pass? I'm assuming there's a better system for this. :|

I haven't actually parked in Cambridge, but I think that if you can find a space, you can park overnight for free without a sticker or anything. (At worst, I think you can park at a meter, which only runs until something like 6 or 7 pm. Check the signs.) You may have to get up early (like, 8 am) to move your car, depending on where you park.

Someone who actually drives in Cambridge might be better equipped to answer this question, though.


Do you have the necessary proof of residency yet? I can't remember if you can use, e.g., your lease, but actually getting the permit is a pretty quick process at the city office as long as you have the required documents.

I have a lease that started the first of this month, so I hope that would work. I was just curious about the first night more than anything else though since I will be driving and unloading my u haul, and don't want to have to spend that day going to the permit office so I can park my car that night.

Searchparty wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:Hey everyone, I've been wondering about the logistics of parking during my move in. I'm getting a u haul and also have a car. From what I understand, we can get resident parking if I register my car for Massachusetts, pay $25, and show residency with mail etc. However, what do we do for that first night? Do I just have to drive to the DMV and spend my first day there sorting out a pass? I'm assuming there's a better system for this. :|


Moving van:

http://www2.cambridgema.gov/traffic/MovingVanPermit.cfm


Thanks, I was actually curious about how to park my car the first night, not the u haul, since hopefully I'll be unloading it and returning it, not hanging on to it overnight. Maybe I can bribe someone for their guest pass with a cupcake or something.

User avatar
Eichörnchen
Posts: 1119
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Eichörnchen » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:31 am

Wow Cambridge's Dept of Parking is laughable and painful to call. Me: "Hi, I'm moving in tomorrow and was wondering what I should do in terms of a temporary permit since I won't be arriving into town until after your office closes. What parking options are there for me for the first night?" Employee "Uuhhhhhhh. There's like. Residential parking. But you'll need a permit." Me: "[Reiterates statement]" Employee: "Well you can park there. But you'll be fined. There are no other options since you don't wanna come pick up your pass. Or just park at a meter." Me: "Overnight?" Employee: "Yea you can just park there overnight."

Image

hlsperson1111
Posts: 239
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:10 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby hlsperson1111 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:35 am

In all fairness, metered parking is free/un-enforced from 7 PM to 8 AM in most parts of Cambridge.

User avatar
Eichörnchen
Posts: 1119
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Eichörnchen » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:45 am

hlsperson1111 wrote:In all fairness, metered parking is free/un-enforced from 7 PM to 8 AM in most parts of Cambridge.

I just thought, if that's true, why would she suggest that I park in residential and get fined first? She sounded as confused as I am. She told me twice that there was no option but to park and hope I don't get fined, then tossed in the meter suggestion at the end as I was hanging up. But, hopefully my plans for borrowing someone's guest pass pan out and I don't have to worry about it.

User avatar
zor
Posts: 263
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:36 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby zor » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:11 pm

Hey, a question about on-campus housing (I did look through this thread but didn't quite find the answer). I just got offered a room in Gropius. I'm an older student who would be transferring, and I'm from NYC where my boyfriend would still be. He's planning to timeshare a bit, and spend about a week a month in Cambridge with me working at his NYC job remotely. I know the guest policy is more than three days requires permission... but has anyone ever actually had a problem? Is there a doorman or something? I know he wouldn't have keys, but would it be an issue if he visited every other weekend and stayed more than a few days on monthly-ish basis?

I didn't get a chance to check out the dorms so I have no clue and any help would be appreciated.

acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:19 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:
hlsperson1111 wrote:In all fairness, metered parking is free/un-enforced from 7 PM to 8 AM in most parts of Cambridge.

I just thought, if that's true, why would she suggest that I park in residential and get fined first? She sounded as confused as I am. She told me twice that there was no option but to park and hope I don't get fined, then tossed in the meter suggestion at the end as I was hanging up. But, hopefully my plans for borrowing someone's guest pass pan out and I don't have to worry about it.


It always amazes how, despite having a huge student population of people from out of state, Cambridge always seems bamboozled whenever dealing with someone who wasn't born & raised here as if it were a novel thing.

zor wrote:Hey, a question about on-campus housing (I did look through this thread but didn't quite find the answer). I just got offered a room in Gropius. I'm an older student who would be transferring, and I'm from NYC where my boyfriend would still be. He's planning to timeshare a bit, and spend about a week a month in Cambridge with me working at his NYC job remotely. I know the guest policy is more than three days requires permission... but has anyone ever actually had a problem? Is there a doorman or something? I know he wouldn't have keys, but would it be an issue if he visited every other weekend and stayed more than a few days on monthly-ish basis?

I didn't get a chance to check out the dorms so I have no clue and any help would be appreciated.


No doorman, just an RA, who doesn't care nor pay attention. A good friend of mine dated an RA who broke the rule himself having her over. The main issue is that you might be exhausted sharing a dorm bed with your bf that often.

User avatar
zor
Posts: 263
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:36 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby zor » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:23 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
zor wrote:Hey, a question about on-campus housing (I did look through this thread but didn't quite find the answer). I just got offered a room in Gropius. I'm an older student who would be transferring, and I'm from NYC where my boyfriend would still be. He's planning to timeshare a bit, and spend about a week a month in Cambridge with me working at his NYC job remotely. I know the guest policy is more than three days requires permission... but has anyone ever actually had a problem? Is there a doorman or something? I know he wouldn't have keys, but would it be an issue if he visited every other weekend and stayed more than a few days on monthly-ish basis?

I didn't get a chance to check out the dorms so I have no clue and any help would be appreciated.


No doorman, just an RA, who doesn't care nor pay attention. A good friend of mine dated an RA who broke the rule himself having her over. The main issue is that you might be exhausted sharing a dorm bed with your bf that often.


OK cool, thanks. So as long as I'm there to let him in, it shouldn't be an issue?

No worries about that--we've lived together 8 years and, embarrassingly, shared a dorm room many many moons ago when money was tight. I'm getting a little too old for the shared twin bed, but such is the price of a Harvard education...

acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:49 pm

zor wrote:
OK cool, thanks. So as long as I'm there to let him in, it shouldn't be an issue?

No worries about that--we've lived together 8 years and, embarrassingly, shared a dorm room many many moons ago when money was tight. I'm getting a little too old for the shared twin bed, but such is the price of a Harvard education...


No, think broader: It shouldn't be an issue as long as he doesn't steal shit or set Gropius on fire. You don't have to be there to let him in. You don't have to be with him. Nobody cares.

People lend out their dorm rooms to friends for extended periods of time (weeks), key and all, with no monitoring. Nobody notices.

User avatar
zor
Posts: 263
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:36 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby zor » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:02 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
zor wrote:
OK cool, thanks. So as long as I'm there to let him in, it shouldn't be an issue?

No worries about that--we've lived together 8 years and, embarrassingly, shared a dorm room many many moons ago when money was tight. I'm getting a little too old for the shared twin bed, but such is the price of a Harvard education...


No, think broader: It shouldn't be an issue as long as he doesn't steal shit or set Gropius on fire. You don't have to be there to let him in. You don't have to be with him. Nobody cares.

People lend out their dorm rooms to friends for extended periods of time (weeks), key and all, with no monitoring. Nobody notices.


Wow, excellent. Does that mean people just get their keys copied?

It will be seriously weird to live in hallway-style dorms. The last time I did that was 2002.

acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:18 pm

zor wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:
zor wrote:
OK cool, thanks. So as long as I'm there to let him in, it shouldn't be an issue?

No worries about that--we've lived together 8 years and, embarrassingly, shared a dorm room many many moons ago when money was tight. I'm getting a little too old for the shared twin bed, but such is the price of a Harvard education...


No, think broader: It shouldn't be an issue as long as he doesn't steal shit or set Gropius on fire. You don't have to be there to let him in. You don't have to be with him. Nobody cares.

People lend out their dorm rooms to friends for extended periods of time (weeks), key and all, with no monitoring. Nobody notices.


Wow, excellent. Does that mean people just get their keys copied?

It will be seriously weird to live in hallway-style dorms. The last time I did that was 2002.


I believe key-copying, like fire-setting, might (?) be where the buck stops. It's more along the lines of the lender staying elsewhere (at an SOs) during that period of time, thus not needing the key.

tomwatts
Posts: 1551
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:01 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby tomwatts » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:37 am

Duplicating the keys is probably bad news, but you can share the keys between the two of you (e.g. he has the key when you go off to class or something) and there's no problem.

No one's really going to bat an eye at one more person in Gropius.

User avatar
Mr. Elshal
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:30 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby Mr. Elshal » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:23 am

zor wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:
zor wrote:
OK cool, thanks. So as long as I'm there to let him in, it shouldn't be an issue?

No worries about that--we've lived together 8 years and, embarrassingly, shared a dorm room many many moons ago when money was tight. I'm getting a little too old for the shared twin bed, but such is the price of a Harvard education...


No, think broader: It shouldn't be an issue as long as he doesn't steal shit or set Gropius on fire. You don't have to be there to let him in. You don't have to be with him. Nobody cares.

People lend out their dorm rooms to friends for extended periods of time (weeks), key and all, with no monitoring. Nobody notices.


Wow, excellent. Does that mean people just get their keys copied?

It will be seriously weird to live in hallway-style dorms. The last time I did that was 2002.


Just a heads up, most schools use a special shape key that locksmiths won't sell to individuals. I tried to make a copy of my undergrad dorm key and was informed that a lot of locksmiths don't even keep that key shape on premises.

User avatar
thelawschoolproject
Posts: 1364
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:58 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby thelawschoolproject » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:57 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
zor wrote:Hey, a question about on-campus housing (I did look through this thread but didn't quite find the answer). I just got offered a room in Gropius. I'm an older student who would be transferring, and I'm from NYC where my boyfriend would still be. He's planning to timeshare a bit, and spend about a week a month in Cambridge with me working at his NYC job remotely. I know the guest policy is more than three days requires permission... but has anyone ever actually had a problem? Is there a doorman or something? I know he wouldn't have keys, but would it be an issue if he visited every other weekend and stayed more than a few days on monthly-ish basis?

I didn't get a chance to check out the dorms so I have no clue and any help would be appreciated.


No doorman, just an RA, who doesn't care nor pay attention. A good friend of mine dated an RA who broke the rule himself having her over. The main issue is that you might be exhausted sharing a dorm bed with your bf that often.



I somewhat disagree with this. Some RAs will care. It really depends on what dorm you're in and on what floors. I had a particularly obnoxious RA who was very rules-adherent. While most RAs aren't like this and may not notice, those who live on the floor will. The floors that are especially social are very good about picking out who belongs and who doesn't. Sometimes they care, sometimes they don't. You may very well have no problems, but I know one girl who got into a bad situation having unauthorized visitors last year. Just tossing that out there.

fpn17
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:52 am

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby fpn17 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:55 am

So can/do people who get LR just resign from secondary journals?

User avatar
zor
Posts: 263
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:36 pm

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby zor » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:04 am

thelawschoolproject wrote:I somewhat disagree with this. Some RAs will care. It really depends on what dorm you're in and on what floors. I had a particularly obnoxious RA who was very rules-adherent. While most RAs aren't like this and may not notice, those who live on the floor will. The floors that are especially social are very good about picking out who belongs and who doesn't. Sometimes they care, sometimes they don't. You may very well have no problems, but I know one girl who got into a bad situation having unauthorized visitors last year. Just tossing that out there.


Yikes. Thanks for the perspective. What's "a bad situation"? Awkward discussions or actual disciplinary action? You can PM if you want.

Also, I assume I'm going to be in the minority in terms of who's going to actually use the kitchen and cook, right? There are pots/pans and plates and stuff?




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 3 guests