Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
pupshaw

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby pupshaw » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:32 am

despina wrote:
cerealdan wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:
cerealdan wrote: How do DS's affect this analysis? Obviously, say, 3H+2DS beats 5H, but does it beat 6H? (It does, of course, for the purposes of internal gpa calculation...)

the part in parenthesis is not necessarily true.

Can you explain in what case it wouldn't be true? I'm not challenging you, I'm just not sure I understand. Would it just be if the 2 DSs were in LRW (only two credits) but the 6 Hs were in substantive classes? Or am I missing something else?

As I understand it, for GPA purposes H = 4, DS = 5.

So 3H + 2DS = 12 + 10 = 22
6H = 24

So I think you're right, cerealdan, that some of those grades would have to be LRW (weighted by 0.5?) in order for 6H to be lower than 3H+2DS for GPA purposes. For example:

3H + 2DS (not LRW) = 22
4H + 2H (in each semester of LRW, so GPA equivalent of 1H) = 16 + 4 = 20

I actually meant that the DSs would have to be in LRW for the 3+2 not to beat 6H.

You're forgetting to factor in the 6th class, a P, in the first example. So it's actually
3H+2DS+1P=12+10+3=25 vs the 24 for 6H.

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:25 pm

There are two-credit electives available second semester of 1L.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:35 pm

cerealdan wrote:
Stinson wrote:I think that's right, 3-4 H's is probably median because there are ten classes and 1/3 get H supposedly. Bear in mind what OCS says about bidding though, because I think it's generally true. The question isn't really median or not but rather whether you fall into

Straight P's
Couple H's (1-2)
Several H's (3-5)
Lot's of H's (6-8)
Holy Shit (8-10 with DS's in there)

They will talk about before EIP what those various bins mean. Anyway, congrats on finishing 1L; it's the worst of the three.

How do DS's affect this analysis? Obviously, say, 3H+2DS beats 5H, but does it beat 6H? (It does, of course, for the purposes of internal gpa calculation, but what about for employers?)

Most firms are just as confused as you are. They'll see 3H + 2DS vs. 6H and shrug. Oh, great student, goes in the 'good student grades' pile. That's about it lol. Not sure how much scrutiny the most selective firms give to grades like this (ex: W&C, Wachtell, etc.), but the other 90% of firms really won't care (or at least it won't hold you back to have worse grades).

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:29 pm

cerealdan wrote:I actually meant that the DSs would have to be in LRW for the 3+2 not to beat 6H.

#1: 2DS(4), 3H(2), 1P(4) = 76
#2: 2DS(4), 1H(4), 2H(2), 1P(2) = 78
#3: 6H(4) = 96

Number 3 beats numbers 1 and 2. The number in parenthesis represents the number of credits in the class.

Maybe my math is wrong...but I'm sure there are different scenarios where the DS's don't have to be in 2-credit classes to lose to 6H's.

I was going to proffer more scenarios but come to think of it, it's probably in our best interest to leave it as murky as it currently is. I think they simply count H's and P's anyways.

pupshaw

Postby pupshaw » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:47 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:
cerealdan wrote:I actually meant that the DSs would have to be in LRW for the 3+2 not to beat 6H.

#1: 2DS(4), 3H(2), 1P(4) = 76
#2: 2DS(4), 1H(4), 2H(2), 1P(2) = 78
#3: 6H(4) = 96

Number 3 beats numbers 1 and 2. The number in parenthesis represents the number of credits in the class.

Maybe my math is wrong...but I'm sure there are different scenarios where the DS's don't have to be in 2-credit classes to lose to 6H's.

I was going to proffer more scenarios but come to think of it, it's probably in our best interest to leave it as murky as it currently is. I think they simply count H's and P's anyways.

Gotcha, yeah, I forgot to account for lower credit courses.

GertrudePerkins

Postby GertrudePerkins » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:36 pm

I don't really know how firms look at DS's, but they definitely matter for clerkships.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:43 pm

Lubberlubber wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:
Lubberlubber wrote:For me, orientation was the weekend when I met everyone, and hung out with the people that later became my "regular" group of friends, so I definitely wouldn't miss it. Friend-mart at HLS pretty much closes after the first couple of weeks, and if you miss it, it may be hard to break into established groups. I would fly in the night before move-in day (maybe stay with a friend or at a hotel that night), so you can have time to go to target, get settled in, etc. on move-in day.

Oh, orientation is also a lot of fun.

Finally, I would advise against serious grocery shopping if you're living in Gropius.

:shock:

Welp...Now auditioning to fill the parts in my future group of friends.

This is not only true at HLS, it's true at any school. It's a lot easier to get to know people and introduce yourself to them when everyone is doing it and no one knows anyone. But when cliques start forming (not that HLS is clique-ish), it's a lot harder.

Not like you CAN'T make any friends after the first weeks, but orientation is when you meet people--that's why it's there.

Chiming in to say I don't quite agree with this. Yes, a lot of people meet a chunk of their friends in the beginning of 1L and I would encourage you to make sure to still go out to events instead of staying in studying in the beginning. That being said, I continue to make new friends all the time. Some of my current close friends I didn't meet until 2L, and there's a couple friends I only really started talking to this past semester. Most people are pretty open to making new friends-they can just be a bit busy and not necessarily proactive about it. If you reach out, it's pretty easy to make new ones.

Mista Bojangles

Postby Mista Bojangles » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:42 am

Anyone have experience with cross-registration (I'm looking specifically at doing a language class at the college)? Would be interested in hearing anyone's thoughts, both on the aspect of navigating the registration process, and also whether the experience of the class itself was a) manageable logistically and b) valuable/worthwhile.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:45 pm

Mista Bojangles wrote:Anyone have experience with cross-registration (I'm looking specifically at doing a language class at the college)? Would be interested in hearing anyone's thoughts, both on the aspect of navigating the registration process, and also whether the experience of the class itself was a) manageable logistically and b) valuable/worthwhile.

Yeah, I have done this, and so have several friends. The college opens cross-registration up pretty late and really close to the start of the term, so you have to line up your law school classes accordingly. I had to try to pick classes so that in the event that I got into the cross-registered class, I could (with the time schedule) drop the appropriate class. It wasn't too hard, but it did involve some thought.

It's definitely manageable, though my friends and I agree that classes at the college (whether language or otherwise) usually take up more time than law school classes. This is partially because we're the types who don't do much work during the semester and cram it all at the end in law school, but the college courses often have assignments and quizzes throughout the semester. Language classes, in particular, require daily attendance.

I found the class I took to be worthwhile and a really welcome break from the monotony of law school courses.

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:50 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
Chiming in to say I don't quite agree with this. Yes, a lot of people meet a chunk of their friends in the beginning of 1L and I would encourage you to make sure to still go out to events instead of staying in studying in the beginning. That being said, I continue to make new friends all the time. Some of my current close friends I didn't meet until 2L, and there's a couple friends I only really started talking to this past semester. Most people are pretty open to making new friends-they can just be a bit busy and not necessarily proactive about it. If you reach out, it's pretty easy to make new ones.

I'm glad to hear this. I was getting fearful that it's really cliquey. I'm also interested in the cross registration in foreign languages. I am feeling really rusty in my second language and wondered if I could take a class in it to keep current. I've also thought of taking one to pick up a third language, but I don't think that would be too fruitful since getting to a point of usefulness in a language take so much time.

Mista Bojangles

Postby Mista Bojangles » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:27 pm

acrossthelake wrote: my friends and I agree that classes at the college (whether language or otherwise) usually take up more time than law school classes.

This was a little surprising (given that I feel like I do 5x more work in LS than I ever did in college), but everything else sounds awesome. Very helpful, thanks

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:10 pm

Mista Bojangles wrote:
acrossthelake wrote: my friends and I agree that classes at the college (whether language or otherwise) usually take up more time than law school classes.

This was a little surprising (given that I feel like I do 5x more work in LS than I ever did in college), but everything else sounds awesome. Very helpful, thanks

Greatly varies from person to person. I thought law school in general took up slightly more time than college, but that is just me personally. Both took up very little time imo outside of the first couple months of 1L yr though.

Which makes studying for the bar such a grueling task for me...

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:16 pm

Anyone do the joint with HKS? What jobs could you get that you couldn't get with just an HLS degree?

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:35 am

wert3813 wrote:Anyone do the joint with HKS? What jobs could you get that you couldn't get with just an HLS degree?

I think there's one guy doing that in this thread...

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:41 pm

wert3813 wrote:Anyone do the joint with HKS? What jobs could you get that you couldn't get with just an HLS degree?

I'm doing it. You're asking a question that's not going to get you much of an answer. There are some jobs that you actually need an MPP for, but they're pretty unusual. California's LAO wants MPPs (or MAs in Econ, or the like). There are a few others. There are pretty much no jobs that you need a JD/MPP for, although it probably helps if you're looking to do certain kinds of public interest work. But, while I guess this is shocking to most people who consider the program, I'm doing it for the education and the experience, not for the credential.

My favorite line from a JD/MPP about the combination: I got my job because of my JD, but I knew how to do my job because of my MPP. (I'm paraphrasing; he said it snappier.) That's how I'm approaching it.

The main reasons to do the JD/MPP are the greater access to HKS generally (the centers, the student life, the alumni network, the professors — there are some networking possibilities here that can lead to jobs, but that's not the main thing) and the greater access to the very best HKS electives, which are extremely good. There are some other nice things that come along with it, but I think those are the two great benefits.

abcdefghijkl

Postby abcdefghijkl » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:11 am

What would it be like for a married student? I will be married by the time I attend law school and am researching which schools have a good environment for couples.

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:59 pm

Hey everyone, I've been meaning to ask if anyone knows of any good cycling in the area. I obviously saw lots of commuters and roadies around the area, but is there any close mountain or cross stuff? Or even some quiet rail trail types of things? I'm also getting pretty curious about rock climbing (I'm ignoring the fact that I have no upper body strength). Is there anything good for that nearby?

On a semi-related note, I just looked into the gym and all I have to say is that I am a bit wary after reading about reservations for ellipticals, etc and that the reservations are for 30 minutes (!). Is the gym really crowded in the morning?

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:03 pm

abcdefghijkl wrote:What would it be like for a married student? I will be married by the time I attend law school and am researching which schools have a good environment for couples.

There are a lot of couples, and some married couples, at Harvard Law. It's not a problem for married couples to socialize with students if they want to do so.

despina

Postby despina » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:50 am

abcdefghijkl wrote:What would it be like for a married student? I will be married by the time I attend law school and am researching which schools have a good environment for couples.

I'm not sure how I would compare schools on this, but I know a number of married students at HLS, including several in my section. There are also quite a lot of people who are living with a partner, or engaged. All manage to be well-integrated into the social life of the campus, but I know it's certainly challenging to balance a serious partner with 1L, no matter where you go to school. HLS has a Couples Association which I think is aimed at helping partners of HLS students socialize and adjust, though I don't know much about it.

abcdefghijkl wrote:Hey everyone, I've been meaning to ask if anyone knows of any good cycling in the area. I obviously saw lots of commuters and roadies around the area, but is there any close mountain or cross stuff? Or even some quiet rail trail types of things? I'm also getting pretty curious about rock climbing (I'm ignoring the fact that I have no upper body strength). Is there anything good for that nearby?

There's a lovely rail trail called the Minuteman Commuter Bikeway that starts at Alewife (the last T stop on the red line, in Cambridge) and goes all the way out to Lexington. It also connects with several other bike paths. http://www.minutemanbikeway.org

Blue Hills Reservation is the closest place I know for mountain biking. It's just south of Boston, and you'd need a car to get there. --LinkRemoved--

A new climbing gym just opened in Somerville: http://www.bostonmagazine.com/health/bl ... is-spring/

This also depends on your own background. If you already have a policy background, including some quantitative skills, then my understanding is that the HKS degree doesn't add much above the JD.

You should also keep in mind, if you're looking for LIPP-eligible jobs, that LIPP won't cover the entire cost of tuition and living for the extra year that you would be in school. LIPP will only cover $30,000 of undergrad debt AND extra joint-degree debt. Grant aid at HKS is very limited, so you would likely be looking at taking out a lot of non-LIPP-eligible loans.

Searchparty

Postby Searchparty » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:38 pm

Hopefully it won't leave you with less financial aid and/or less LIPP assistance.

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:22 pm

despina wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:Hey everyone, I've been meaning to ask if anyone knows of any good cycling in the area. I obviously saw lots of commuters and roadies around the area, but is there any close mountain or cross stuff? Or even some quiet rail trail types of things? I'm also getting pretty curious about rock climbing (I'm ignoring the fact that I have no upper body strength). Is there anything good for that nearby?

There's a lovely rail trail called the Minuteman Commuter Bikeway that starts at Alewife (the last T stop on the red line, in Cambridge) and goes all the way out to Lexington. It also connects with several other bike paths. http://www.minutemanbikeway.org

Blue Hills Reservation is the closest place I know for mountain biking. It's just south of Boston, and you'd need a car to get there. --LinkRemoved--

A new climbing gym just opened in Somerville: http://www.bostonmagazine.com/health/bl ... is-spring/

Thanks for this info! Damn I wish that I could join that climbing gym but...I don't know if $100/month membership paid for with my loans would fall into the category of a "wise financial decision". :cry:

gertie

Postby gertie » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:42 pm

When do most students receive their refund? August or after classes start in September?

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:53 pm

gertie wrote:When do most students receive their refund? August or after classes start in September?

Early September.

o0o0o0o

Postby o0o0o0o » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:21 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:
gertie wrote:When do most students receive their refund? August or after classes start in September?

Early September.

It'll be "around" September 6th according to the SFS person I asked.

BelugaWhale

Postby BelugaWhale » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:22 am

median grades im pretty sure, any shot at quinn in DC? Pretty set on litigation, no spectacular softs.

For what its worth i think im decent at interviewing, just that not sure ill even be offered one.

on a related note: what should i be bidding on in terms of vault rankings for dc firms?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”