Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
tomwatts

Re: Harvard Student(s) Answering Your Questions

Postby tomwatts » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:12 am

Last edited by tomwatts on Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

khaleesi

Postby khaleesi » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:37 pm

Does Harvard allow vanity emails? The one I was assigned is awful and the idea of living with it for the rest of my life is seriously icky.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:01 am

If there is a good reason to change the name, you can request a change and they'll grant it. Contact IT first, and they'll tell you who else you need.

The occasional student with a name like Steve Lutz or Fiona Uck is enough for them to be flexible about the usual pattern for email addresses.

kulshan

Postby kulshan » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:03 pm

Searchparty wrote:
gertie wrote:For students who plan to take advantage of the LIPP after graduation: did you take out the maximum amount in loans that you were eligible to take out or did you take out only what you "needed"?

I am considering taking out the full COA amount because LIPP will pay for it in the end(I do not see myself changing career interests). Is this a dangerous idea?

Incoming student, but... Make sure it's all LIPP eligible, as all the loans they offer you may not be depending on your financial situation.

I'd look into what the difference in monthly payment would be and see if its significant in the event you make more than anticipated faster than anticipated

I didn't. I took about $5000 less than the max, though it all would have been LIPP eligible. I figured I could live comfortably on that amount (and don't forget to factor in fees on loans!), so I didn't want to take out more. If that doesn't end up working out well for the first year, I'll adjust later.

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:09 pm

tomwatts wrote:If there is a good reason to change the name, you can request a change and they'll grant it. Contact IT first, and they'll tell you who else you need.

The occasional student with a name like Steve Lutz or Fiona Uck is enough for them to be flexible about the usual pattern for email addresses.

:lol:

On another note, does anyone have laptop/ other gadget suggestions? The only laptop I've ever had was a Mac (yea, the poor beast carried me through from junior year of high school until pretty much the end of LSAT prep). Obviously I'm scared of laptops without shiny minimalistic interfaces, but from what I've heard, I shouldn't expect a new mac to approach anywhere near an 8 year life span, and they're pretty pricey. I'm also thinking of getting a tablet (Nexus 7) for tossing in my bag for everyday, since I don't see myself lugging around a laptop. Thoughts?

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:20 am

Eichörnchen wrote:but from what I've heard, I shouldn't expect a new mac to approach anywhere near an 8 year life span, and they're pretty pricey. I'm also thinking of getting a tablet (Nexus 7) for tossing in my bag for everyday, since I don't see myself lugging around a laptop. Thoughts?

A Macbook Air will last a good long while and not be particularly heavy to carry or hugely expensive. You'll need a computer to take exams (the exam software — I assume — doesn't work on a tablet), so factor that in.

You'll want to have a keyboard for notetaking in class, regardless of what you get, so if you do go for a tablet, splurge for the extra accessories.

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:47 pm

tomwatts wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:but from what I've heard, I shouldn't expect a new mac to approach anywhere near an 8 year life span, and they're pretty pricey. I'm also thinking of getting a tablet (Nexus 7) for tossing in my bag for everyday, since I don't see myself lugging around a laptop. Thoughts?

A Macbook Air will last a good long while and not be particularly heavy to carry or hugely expensive. You'll need a computer to take exams (the exam software — I assume — doesn't work on a tablet), so factor that in.

You'll want to have a keyboard for notetaking in class, regardless of what you get, so if you do go for a tablet, splurge for the extra accessories.

Oh sorry - I meant I'd get a tablet in addition to a laptop. They're only like $200, and I much prefer taking notes by hand, so I don't see a lot of point in bringing my laptop everyday. I figure a tablet would suffice for looking things up or whatever else I'd need for class during an average day. Do you think taking notes by hand is a bad idea?

pupshaw

Postby pupshaw » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:20 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:
tomwatts wrote:

Oh sorry - I meant I'd get a tablet in addition to a laptop. They're only like $200, and I much prefer taking notes by hand, so I don't see a lot of point in bringing my laptop everyday. I figure a tablet would suffice for looking things up or whatever else I'd need for class during an average day. Do you think taking notes by hand is a bad idea?

4/8 of my substantive class professors this year did not allow laptops, so taking notes by hand was required.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:24 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:
tomwatts wrote:

nexus 7 is a great idea IMO. it will do exactly what you want: logon to the HLS wifi and browse myHLS etc no problem. it is very light too.

Mista Bojangles

Postby Mista Bojangles » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:12 pm

cerealdan wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:
tomwatts wrote:

4/8 of my substantive class professors this year did not allow laptops, so taking notes by hand was required.

7 out of 8 here. i think it's a growing trend. expect to be taking notes by hand in many or most of your classes.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:54 pm

Mista Bojangles wrote:7 out of 8 here. i think it's a growing trend. expect to be taking notes by hand in many or most of your classes.

I don't know if it is a growing trend per se, but I do tend to see 1L professors prefer 'no laptop' policies vs. 2L/3L classes. In my latter 2 yrs, I think I had like 2 classes that did not allow laptops.

Mista Bojangles

Postby Mista Bojangles » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:57 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
Mista Bojangles wrote:7 out of 8 here. i think it's a growing trend. expect to be taking notes by hand in many or most of your classes.

I don't know if it is a growing trend per se, but I do tend to see 1L professors prefer 'no laptop' policies vs. 2L/3L classes. In my latter 2 yrs, I think I had like 2 classes that did not allow laptops.

i was referring specifically to 1L classes, but this is helpful to know for 2L/3L. i spent way too much time in my one laptop-allowed class surfing espn.com and such, so i guess i'll be working on my self-control

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:04 pm

Mista Bojangles wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:

i was referring specifically to 1L classes, but this is helpful to know for 2L/3L. i spent way too much time in my one laptop-allowed class surfing espn.com and such, so i guess i'll be working on my self-control

Your need to pay attention in class diminishes over time in law school :P

kulshan

Postby kulshan » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:28 pm

Does anyone know when incoming students will get our sections/class schedules? It'd be nice to know how many days I week I should plan to be miserable in 8 AM classes.

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:49 pm

Does taking notes by hand make putting together your outline significantly more time consuming (since you can't copy/paste)? Obviously you have no choice in the "no laptops" classes, but I've always taken notes by hand and I'd like to keep that up if it's not going to suck up all my time at the end of the semester.

hlsperson1111

Postby hlsperson1111 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:29 pm

Depends on your note-taking style. If you tend to type highly organized class notes, or to type out your reading notes and integrate class notes into them, then you will end up spending some additional time integrating your handwritten notes into your outline versus what you would do if you were allowed to use a computer. If you tend to just transcribe/take more stream-of-consciousness class notes on a computer, then you will probably end up spending a similar amount of time integrating them into your outline at the end of the semester. I wouldn't worry too much about it because, as you said, you won't have a lot of control over whether you can take notes by hand.

FWIW I tended to take way better notes when I had a laptop in class, even though I spent considerable time reading email/FB/the news/etc. while the professor was talking. Your mileage may vary.
Last edited by hlsperson1111 on Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:28 pm

Yukos wrote:Does taking notes by hand make putting together your outline significantly more time consuming (since you can't copy/paste)? Obviously you have no choice in the "no laptops" classes, but I've always taken notes by hand and I'd like to keep that up if it's not going to suck up all my time at the end of the semester.

The answer is yes. 1L yr I used to handwrite my notes (not by choice), then every Friday or even same day as lecture transfer the notes onto my laptop. It was horrible. I would always get behind. I then combined my notes with a good outline I found in some outline bank.

Over time I realized this was pretty unnecessary, at least for me. Lots of people find creating their own outlines works well, but from 1L second semester and on, I always just studied straight from my notes or found a good outline someone else made from an outline bank, or some combination of the two. I've never created my own outline before in my life. If I need to see what I wrote in class, I can just read/skim through it straight up in conjunction with whatever good outline I found already.

If it is an important class, chances are someone out there has already made a pretty good outline for it :P

hlsperson1111

Postby hlsperson1111 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:12 pm

Moral of the story is that you really need to find what works for you. I outlined every class from scratch (and am even creating my own outlines for the bar!) and absolutely swear by it, but DoubleChecks and a lot of other people prove that you can do very well without ever creating an outline. One thing to keep in mind, though, is that you will not always be able to find an old outline (if you have a visiting professor, if it's a new course, etc.), so it probably is useful to be able to construct your own outline if you need to.

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:12 pm

Thanks guys this thread is ridiculously helpful.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:01 pm

hlsperson1111 wrote:Moral of the story is that you really need to find what works for you. I outlined every class from scratch (and am even creating my own outlines for the bar!) and absolutely swear by it, but DoubleChecks and a lot of other people prove that you can do very well without ever creating an outline. One thing to keep in mind, though, is that you will not always be able to find an old outline (if you have a visiting professor, if it's a new course, etc.), so it probably is useful to be able to construct your own outline if you need to.

Definitely. Creating outlines from scratch will always be better than just reading/studying someone else's outlines and skimming your own notes. I just can't bring myself to do it lol. It comes down to your old study habits. I find whatever you did in ugrad, upped a level or two for 1L yr is what works (or will end up happening lol). Like the bar, they give us a ton of hw every day and I know doing it all will keep me best on track and will prepare me the best for the bar. I just can't bring myself to do it all haha.

Mr. Elshal

Postby Mr. Elshal » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:44 pm

In my UG, the overwhelming majority of professors and lecturers made class slides (and occasionally their own, typed-up class notes) available to students to help us study and grasp the material. This eroded my already poor study habits and, as a result, I have not taken a page of notes in all of UG. Any advice from current students? Or anyone else who may have a similar problem/fear?

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:02 pm

Mr. Elshal wrote:In my UG, the overwhelming majority of professors and lecturers made class slides (and occasionally their own, typed-up class notes) available to students to help us study and grasp the material. This eroded my already poor study habits and, as a result, I have not taken a page of notes in all of UG. Any advice from current students? Or anyone else who may have a similar problem/fear?

You, sir, might want to just listen attentively in class (while jotting down whatever) and then find outlines online made by those who are good at notetaking :P For 1Ls, probably 80% of the profs/classes have solid outlines you can find online, though some might require a tad of digging.

To be completely honest, I think it is really hard giving study advice because people are all so different. You've all been rather successful up to this point in your life (or else you wouldn't be going to HLS I imagine), so just stay true to whatever you've been doing, but kick it up a notch for 1L yr. I've seen the whole spectrum of study habits -- from those who were pulling all nighters during finals week and constantly outlining and briefing cases to those who barely took notes or even cracked open the textbook, and of course everything in between. Do what works for you. The only tip I think is universally true for studying for 1L exams is...if you have access to old exams (many profs make them available), then definitely go over those. They help a LOT. More than almost anything else, assuming you've done some basic studying for the course. Read them and actually answer some if possible. They're super helpful.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:02 pm

Mr. Elshal wrote:In my UG, the overwhelming majority of professors and lecturers made class slides (and occasionally their own, typed-up class notes) available to students to help us study and grasp the material. This eroded my already poor study habits and, as a result, I have not taken a page of notes in all of UG. Any advice from current students? Or anyone else who may have a similar problem/fear?

Uhh... try taking notes?

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:07 pm

How do transfer students do at OCI?

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:08 pm

manofjustice wrote:How do transfer students do at OCI?

are you headed to Harvard pollfessor?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”